Listening to music - hobby , passion or dedication

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
ganeshkant

Listening to music - hobby , passion or dedication

Post by ganeshkant »

I always come across these 3 types of rasikas.
Our forum has either passionate or dedicated members since those listening to classical music just as a hobby will find it difficult to express their views.Most of the post here are by the other 2 types though I wish hobbyists also be members and express their views.
Those who listen to music as a hobby are more blissful due to lack of technical knowledge IMO.Once TVG remarked this in a lec-dem in sastri hall about voice culture when a lay rasika told him that he absolutely doesn't have any knowledge in identifying ragas etc.yet he comes to concerts as he has developed sort of hobby for it.TVG appreciated him and told that such rasikas can have bliss easily than the discerning lot.
We all know that we are all passionate about music and I have seen the dedicated lot too who spend time in preserving old recordings and converting them into suit the current technology etc. and I salute them.
Is there a 4th type of rasika who may have a portfolio different from the above said 3 ?
My elder brother opined the other day that a group goes to concert only to criticize !
Is it so ?may be a minority ?
But if I take me as an example I graduated from hobby to passion and not progressed further.
Is their an ultimate level for rasikathvam ?

hnbhagavan

Re: Listening to music - hobby , passion or dedication

Post by hnbhagavan »

Recently Bangalore Gayana Samaja conducted its annual Festival- 48 th one.Rudrapatnam Bros were selected to preside over Festival/Conference.
As far as Rasikas are concerned it looked that Popularity and glamour over takes other factors.Majority of the Rasikas will belong to the category who do not worry about technicalities.However people may be enjoying by simply tapping without reference to any tala.Some are interested in taking the Mobile Camera Picture and recording the concert.
The Popularity of the main artists is what matters to the crowd.Ranjani-Gayatri were featured on the first day with H M Smitha on Violin and Delhi Sairam on Mridangam.The hall overflowed and authorities were happy to jampack the hall by selling more Tickets than actual number of seats.
On subsequent days a more balanced team was featured - Like Sri TV Shankara Narayanan with Mysore Nagaraj on Violin and Sri Mushnam raja Rao on Mridangam.The crowd was much less and good number of empty seats could be seen.
The third featured D Balakrishna on Veena with Vamshidar on flute and K V Prasad on Mridangam.This Instrumental concert was delightful,but only a handful of Rasikas were present.