Soliciting suggestions on Music + Allied Subject for Bachelor's

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
balavenu

Soliciting suggestions on Music + Allied Subject for Bachelor's

Post by balavenu »

Am writing to explore practical academic options for students interested in pursuing music plus an allied subject for their Bachelor's degree.

For those interested in music plus technology, there are both formal degrees and informal courses. These typically cover the theory and practice of music recording, production, etc. along with exposure to some selected equipment and software technology.

The above courses do not address the interests of those that are temperamentally inclined towards foundational Sciences and Math as well.

When one looks for degrees like "Music and Math", there are several that google pulls out, almost always from universities abroad. There are "Music and Physics" degrees as well.

While a detailed study of those program brochures will throw up more insights, am trying to see if there are insights from forumites in this matter that will help me channelize efforts better; suggestions -- practical, specific, general, all welcome.

Btw, I have not been able to locate serious options on offer by Indian universities.

As some of you would have guessed, am writing in the context of my son Ramana's academic pursuits. As homeschoolers much in dissonance with the educational set-up and priorities, we've been quite open (and lazy) in these matters; however he's entered his 11th grade and it's always better to focus on fewer things to keep his music time intact. Any interesting option (and hence its prerequisites) emerging from this study will help with his choices now.

An aside. There have been speculations about Ramana's academic pursuits in a few threads here. To those interested, he passed his IGCSE (of Cambridge university, aka 10th grade or loosely 'O' level) in May 2017 with very good results. He has since published his IGCSE academic work involving more than 2700 flashcards at https://ramanabalachandhran.wixsite.com ... handhran/1 . Those interested in IGCSE
itself or CBSE/ICSE Science/Math/English or the idea of Anki flashcards for systematic study will find it useful.

Rsachi

Re: Soliciting suggestions on Music + Allied Subject for Bachelor's

Post by Rsachi »

Bala,
First of all, congratulations on such a grand success of young Ramana in the exam!

I feel a career in Indian music is best pursued through a gurukula system. Actually, your homeschooling model is the same idea.
Perhaps Kalakshetra is an option provided it meets your music standards.
If overseas study is on the cards, someone like Vid. Sriram Parasuram would be able to suggest some options.

Best wishes to you and family,
Sachi

balavenu

Post by balavenu »

Thank you Sachi. This question is purely from academics perspective. He enjoys the rigor of pure Sciences as well at this point though it's anybody's guess how long it might be possible considering his all-consuming interest in music.

Your suggestion on talking to Vid Sriram Parasuram is quite relevant. Thought of the same a moment after I wrote the post.

melam72

Post by melam72 »

I would suggest that Ramana pursue a BSc in Physics or Chemistry through correspondence and music fulltime alongside that, and he can take up an MA in Music from Sree Venkateswara University, Tirupati (a very good MA Music course, in my opinion).