200 US kids play Tyagaraja Krti in Sahana

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music

Rsachi

Re: 200 US kids play Tyagaraja Krti in Sahana

Post by Rsachi »

I watched that video. Whereas I could relate to the Shahana that Ravikiran played, I felt the western orchestra were playing the scale and not the raga. Not moved.

I ran a petition some years ago to make classical music compulsory in Indian schools. Lots of people signed, including Sri Ravikiran.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Sachi , you are reinforcing the view that only melody is music :o :shock: ;) :lol:

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

It is a good thing to take tyAgaraja into Western music than to take him out of Indian music! It is a good thing to sanctify harmony ( if it is already doubly sanctify it) than to take sacredness out of the Indian music. :)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Their playing was very appealing to me. Of course, we have been experiencing Ravikiran's melharmonic works in the past years at Cleveland--where his siblings and other musicians have worked with him to bring to listeners this unique musical experience. At the festival, the children have sung CM, while the faculty from the university have performed the orchestral music.
This sahAnA sounds 'seemingly' simple, and is emoted so well by the high school kids. Well, sahAnA IS emoting, though sometimes, we hear it is sung without its stirring our emotions. This particular piece was soothing too...