How does it sound when Hindustani vocalists try a bit of Carnatic?

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music

vijay.siddharth

Re: How does it sound when Hindustani vocalists try a bit of Carnatic?

Post by vijay.siddharth »

Rama Nee Samanamevaru waa incidentally taught to the Ustad by Veena Dhanammal. Brinda Mukta as kids used to enjoy mimicking this 'padantharam' of RNS!!!

Smt. Kaushiki Chakrabothy has sung BMK's graha bedha thillana too. Will post a link soon.

Cheers

Siddharth

varsha

Post by varsha »

Nice article
Terrible Title
--------
Abdul Karim Khans work was more than trying a bit of carnatic music.
CM aesthetics was at the root of the subtle aspects he incorporated in what is now recognised a style called kirana
Long alaps , sargams.seamless progressions while coming again and again at a central theme of muse .And much more .
Pity the article does not talk about Puttaraj Gawai who caught the spark . And lit us lamps like Basavraj Rajguru , Venkateshkumar.
I have heard Rajguru breaking into CM like nervals and even announce that those were passages his mother ( a CM practitioner ) would sing .
Here are samples of his nuggets that give an inkling.
Dont miss the brilliant rAgmala
Also a sample of a visually challenged student practising at the Puttaraj Gawais Ashram.
https://archive.org/details/CM-HMTrails ... hKarnataka
-----
I say this because this part of India takes CM more seriously than just a passing fad .
Last edited by varsha on 15 Nov 2017, 07:31, edited 1 time in total.

varsha

Post by varsha »

https://archive.org/details/BhimsenJoshiPUriyaKalyAN

Notice the subtle changes Bhimsen Joshi makes while singing his favourite at Music Academy

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Varsha,
Glad you stepped in. At his tribute concert to Pandit Bhimsen Joshi, Ustad Shahid Pervez played at JSS auditorium on a Sunday morning a Kirvani (I recollect vaguely). He said, "you people like a lot of gayaki= heavy gamakas, let me play it like that! 😉" and proceeded to play many very Carnatic type of phrases throughout.

I do however think that this type of cross-dressing has only a minimal, curiosity or fun value. The results from A K Khan to Kaikini to even Kaushiki show how deeply entrenched the two musical genres are and how tough it is to merely copy them.

By the way, a popular Carnatic rendition full of taans etc., sounding so asli HM to most of us, when I played it to a practising Hindustani musician, elicited only a broad smile (I should have known better than to expect applause).

I feel the same about jugalbandhis... We have discussed them before.

varsha

Post by varsha »

Smt. Kaushiki Chakrabothy has sung BMK's graha bedha thillana too. Will post a link soon.
Papa Chakraborthy singing for Nageswaran , myself and a handful of others
https://archive.org/details/AJOYYaman_KGS

varsha

Post by varsha »

Another trail leads to sn ratanjankar
who used to camp in chennai for season with disciples.
were great fans of MDR ,
One of his disciples composed a krithi on MDR too (CR Vyas )
Two other disciples Bhatt-Ginde were regulars at SGS Sabha - Oldtimers still talk of their night long jinjhotis
A snap shot here .
---
Thats why Sriram Parasuram ( CR Vyas disciple) is such a delicate link
----
Enough of the Kirana Agra trails. There is the gwalior one too . More later
https://archive.org/details/KgGinde-JinjhOTi-SCRBhatt
brij mein dhoom machi ... chalo ri sakha - sakhiyon .... :P

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Bonanza! 👏

braindrain

Post by braindrain »

Another name in the same vein is 'Pt Channulal Mishra'.

Listened to him sing 'vAtApi gaNapatim bhajEham' in a recent concert at the Alliance Francaise, Bangalore. There are a few youtube/online versions available.

varsha

Post by varsha »

https://archive.org/details/HafizAhmedK ... mukhapriya
the rAmpur sahaswAn school trail...
courtesy Lakshman Ragde
----
th3 carnatic fragrance wafting northwards
https://archive.org/details/chennairasika_gmail_KAfi

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

braindrain wrote: 15 Nov 2017, 13:42Listened to him sing 'vAtApi gaNapatim bhajEham' in a recent concert
I wish he’d sing something else as well... I’d love to listen to him sing some more of Sri MD’s kRtis. His pronunciation is such a joy to hear.

narayan

Post by narayan »

girish_a wrote: 14 Nov 2017, 21:45 Outlook India article. Fascinating.

https://www.outlookindia.com/website/st ... tic/304194
Saw this. The last of the three raags that Mukul Shivputra sings - although very briefly - is Saveri, not Mayamalavagoula, in my opinion.

harimau

Post by harimau »

To paraphrase Samuel Johnson, "a Hindustani Musician's singing Carnatic music is like a dog's walking on his hind legs. It is not done well; but you are surprised to find it done at all." :roll: :o :lol:

aaaaabbbbb

Post by aaaaabbbbb »

harimau Ji,

Welcome back.

vijay.siddharth

Harimau,

Firstly, welcome back. I am a fan of yours, and can't wait for your Season(ed) reviews.

Secondly, I think the way you phrased the post was extremely crude and crass and uncalled for. Please note that I hold Hindustani music in absolute disdain- I do not hold them in high regard and I consider their inability to handle a Saveri or an Anandabhairavi or a (Namma) Thodi or even a basic trikalam or chaturashra trayashram in a pallavi as significant failings. In fact, both my mother and I agree that HM survives only on government (read Babudom) largesse and nothing else!

But please- try to avoid such crude statements. It just shows the levels you stoop down to make your point and we both know you are better than this.

Cheers,

Siddharth

sankark

Post by sankark »

vijay.siddharth wrote: 25 Nov 2017, 08:16 disdain- I do not hold them in high regard and I consider their inability to handle a Saveri or an Anandabhairavi or a (Namma) Thodi or even a basic trikalam or chaturashra trayashram in a pallavi as significant failings.
So you go to a pizzeria and order a pizza with gOsumalli & puli-inji topping and a side of vellarikkai-thengai-thayir-pachadi, is it?

vijay.siddharth

Extending the metaphor, I do not frequent Pizzerias.

sankark

Post by sankark »

and yet, ye hold the poor pizza maker in disdain because he can't cook up a south indian spread. Wow!

harimau

Post by harimau »

vijay.siddharth wrote: 25 Nov 2017, 08:16 Harimau,

I think the way you phrased the post was extremely crude and crass and uncalled for. Please note that I hold Hindustani music in absolute disdain- I do not hold them in high regard and I consider their inability to handle a Saveri or an Anandabhairavi or a (Namma) Thodi or even a basic trikalam or chaturashra trayashram in a pallavi as significant failings. In fact, both my mother and I agree that HM survives only on government (read Babudom) largesse and nothing else!

But please- try to avoid such crude statements. It just shows the levels you stoop down to make your point and we both know you are better than this.

Siddharth
I merely paraphrased Dr Johnson. He had compared a woman's preaching to a dog's walking on hind legs. Thus I think I am in exalted company! :D

Secondly, I must find ways to employ my BA in English Literature earned long ago at Loyola College. I had no opportunity to use it during my years of (un)productive employment. Thusly, you would notice me correcting quotations from famous persons and attempting to write deathless prose.

Thirdly, I think you do a disservice to Hindustani music. Where else can you find the prescience shown by Hindustani musicians who invented elevator music some eight centuries before the invention of the elevator? :lol:

Finally, for all their talk about gayaki-ang, they also employ vadhya-ang in their vocal music. Here I refer to the way any song ends resembling the last gasp of air escaping from the bellows of the harmonium or from a pricked balloon.

Give them credit where credit is due. :D

But not for attempting to sing Carnatic music!