What according to you is a successful concert?

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
Sachi_R

What according to you is a successful concert?

Post by Sachi_R »

My answer was this:

A successful concert is one where the organiser has a broad, genuine smile on his face as he hands over a substantial cheque to the artiste/s.

kvchellappa

Re: What according to you is a successful concert?

Post by kvchellappa »

That shows the extent to which art is viewed commercially even by an aesthetic person, though in jest.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

As a minimum you should have the drive to hear that vidwan/vidushi again.

ratanabhinav

Post by ratanabhinav »

In my opinion , a successful concert is an exposition of exotic and sheer melody , produced with good voice modulation and aesthetics , singing ragas acc. to raga lakshanam , bringing out raga bhavam , sruti suddhatvam , mix of nadais and gaits in a concerts will make it successful . Above all , everything must be in proportion . Aesthetic approach to manodharma ( ie , with the firm conviction that manodharma is not about going up and down the scale robotically ) .
Last edited by ratanabhinav on 23 Nov 2017, 18:07, edited 1 time in total.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

A successful concert is as exemplified in Shalu's review.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sachi, I guess you were just offering an appe'teasing' example. The artiste also succeeds when he/she conveys the art convincingly? Where we rasikAs too feel that we were part of that succeeding streak in her/him that day? Or, is it as simple and satisfying as that warming feeling with which we walk out of the hall where it doesn't matter if it's a big crowd puller or a poorly attended concert?
Rajesh has a point. Yes, we should feel like listening again to the artiste. The more the number of such satisfied listeners, the more successful the concert is. I am sure many other aspects make a concert succeed too. To me, an MMI or an Ari concert, for example...In the present time, can I say, when you (Sachi) walk out of a Ramakrishnan Murthy concert? :)

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Won't bite the bait, Arasi☺️. I want lots of people to say what they feel, here.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

To paraphrase US Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart, “you’ll know it when you experience it”.