kvchellappa

Re: Ravikiran slams TMK

Post by kvchellappa »

Brilliant.

sreebeecane

Post by sreebeecane »

Finally!

Somebody had to call out TMK's taurus excretus.

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

bravo... fantsatic... thanks Sri Ravikiran for nice write up. which magazine published this ? kudos to them

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

Bravo Ravikiran.what a brilliant write up with unshakable arguments and grandiose dignity( Not once the word TMK is uttered!)
Among hundreds of leading carnatic musicians of today,here is one, at last, who has the courage to stand up and denounce the "cultural criminal " , although all of them know that it is "schematricks"".

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

I would reword the title of the thread to "Ravikiran sets the record straight".

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Is there a link? My eyes are not up to reading the above on-screen.

OK, I could read it when I clicked on the pic link.

I'm fed up with the TMK shark-fest feeding frenzy. The whole thing has become absurdly venomous: are we forumites or venomites? But I neither have I ever made any secret about his writing, eg, commenting recently that it takes him over a thousand words to say something that just might have a one-line grain of truth in it. I really, really, do wish he would stick to music.

Ravikiran's writing, on the other hand, is coherent and to the point. And, If I have to put the mental effort into deciphering TMK's meanderings, and set the result against Ravikiran, there is no doubt that Ravikiran wins hands down.

Let us applaud Ravikiran's simple and decent world view and his writing. Quite apart from factual truth, he writes to soothe, whereas TMK plainly writes to irk. Sadly, he succeeds on a massive scale and becomes the catalyst that turns forumites into venomites. Whatever he says, and whatever may be his motive or his perceived motive, his writing is simply not good enough to attract so much attention, let alone so much emotional energy. I, personally, hope that his music endures, but his writing can blow away in the wind... if we let it.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

I am also a culprit, but well said, Nick.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

There are many nuggets in the article. In the interest of free access and sharing, a web link to the text as published, rather than an image, will greatly help.

Ravikiran is perhaps the best qualified person to stop the nonsense that is being aired noisily. His long career, his international exposure, his proximity to the women who were masters of their music and are currently in the crosshairs of this stigmatic misinformation narrative.

And MSS deserves only this grand narrative of an incontrovertible truth - that a devadasi girl rose to become a Bharat Ratna through her music,her devotion, and her philanthropy, and has been an abiding inspiration for millions of the devout as well as the musically inclined.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

I wonder why TMK makes such a fuzz about MS Amma's music having slowed down with age -- so has he, even more so! I for one don't see that as anything negative or derogatory in either of them. Besides, I have to make the point, what you are at 30 isn't what you are at 60 or 70 or 80.

And as far as social integration goes, it was MS who did more through her music and bhakti to reach all over India and the world -- to reach people who had no idea of Carnatic music. In fact her music would probably be the best example of something that got "unshackled from a ghetto". A lot of people have been helped directly or indirectly because of the couple's efforts.

shankarabharanam

Post by shankarabharanam »

Nick H wrote: 01 Dec 2017, 13:10 Is there a link? My eyes are not up to reading the above on-screen.

OK, I could read it when I clicked on the pic link.

I'm fed up with the TMK shark-fest feeding frenzy. The whole thing has become absurdly venomous: are we forumites or venomites? But I neither have I ever made any secret about his writing, eg, commenting recently that it takes him over a thousand words to say something that just might have a one-line grain of truth in it. I really, really, do wish he would stick to music.

Ravikiran's writing, on the other hand, is coherent and to the point. And, If I have to put the mental effort into deciphering TMK's meanderings, and set the result against Ravikiran, there is no doubt that Ravikiran wins hands down.

Let us applaud Ravikiran's simple and decent world view and his writing. Quite apart from factual truth, he writes to soothe, whereas TMK plainly writes to irk. Sadly, he succeeds on a massive scale and becomes the catalyst that turns forumites into venomites. Whatever he says, and whatever may be his motive or his perceived motive, his writing is simply not good enough to attract so much attention, let alone so much emotional energy. I, personally, hope that his music endures, but his writing can blow away in the wind... if we let it.
Here is the link http://epaper.deccanchronicle.com/artic ... id=9515874

Also in the last two days almost every musician and rasika has been lambasting on this pompous person. Another piece in the media that quotes Pianist Anil Srinivasan, Smt Sudha Ragunathan and others. http://www.thenewsminute.com/article/sa ... lash-72466

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

kvjayan

Post by kvjayan »

Malavika Avinash's write-up is absolutely devastating, as a well-informed artist, but certainly no venomite.

"Swadharme nidhanam shreyah paradharmo bhayapahah says Krishna, the Lord, not the Intellectual...who recited it in the 'Song of God', Bhagavadgita. And no, He was neither Brahmin, nor fair. Perhaps now the intellectual needs a name change!"

http://www.thenewsminute.com/article/sa ... lash-72466

https://www.facebook.com/malavika.avina ... 9762073316

arasi

Post by arasi »

"The very height of deplorable irony", Ravi Kiran calls it. Not a part time musician who says this but the very personification of music in its essence.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

kvjayan wrote: 01 Dec 2017, 22:57 who recited it in the 'Song of God', Bhagavadgita. And no, He was neither Brahmin, nor fair. Perhaps now the intellectual needs a name change!"
It is not just cosmetics. You want a subaltern movement against the dominant there it is the gOvardhana giri dhAri opposing the vEdic god Indra! All the Agamas and Bhakti movement came from the subaltern!

Here he says about Guru Granth sahib: https://youtu.be/2O4oaDaO36Y?t=3338

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

kvjayan wrote: 01 Dec 2017, 22:57 Malavika Avinash's write-up is absolutely devastating, as a well-informed artist, but certainly no venomite.

https://www.facebook.com/malavika.avina ... 9762073316
Unfortunately she confuses TMK with an Intellectual.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Do not confuse intellectual with intelligent!

:twisted: :lol:

vichu1947

Post by vichu1947 »

arasi

Post by arasi »

Had TMK not been so musically endowed, I would have gone for sUriyanaik kaNDu nAi kuraiththadAm. The dog barked at the sun in ridicule.

Who cares for the sun and the moon?
They get eclipsed! Why care for stars,
They shed pathetic light! Angels coming?
I have no portals to my heart , mind :(