How & When Can I get tickets?

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
gajaa

How & When Can I get tickets?

Post by gajaa »

Hi All,

I will be in Chennai just for 5 days this season & I want to make maximum use of this time, listening to a few concerts. I'm interested in a couple of concerts at
Vani Mahal (Thyaga brahma gana sabha)
Ethiraja kalyana mandapam
Brahma gana sabha (sivagami petachi)

What's the best way to get tickets for concerts at this venue? By when should I get them?
Dont want to trouble my parents for this, if I can get it done myself.
Thanks for your esteemed expert advice folks :)

Sundara Rajan

Re: How & When Can I get tickets?

Post by Sundara Rajan »

I report from past experience. Unless the artist of the program is a "crowd puller", one should be able to get a ticket one hour ahead of the scheduled time, in most venues. There is no real need to buy the ticket in advance. However, if the artist is very popular, one could get the ticket in the morning for the evening program. I have not been to India for the December season for three years now and hope the situation may not be much different now.

gajaa

Post by gajaa »

thanks a lot for your reply Sundara Rajan. These are in fact the 'crowd puller' artistes that I was planning to listen to :) Hence, the push to ensure that I have a ticket in hand. However, I guess you're right, even for crowd puller artistes, unless it's the Music Academy, in most other venues, you get the tickets at least 1 day in advance pola. Let's see.

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

From a planning perspective, there is an app called Margazhisangeetham that lets you can search for concerts by artist /day /sabha.

In case you are not able to attend the concert of your favorite artist on a given day at a particular sabha you can use this app to plan to see where next they are performing and plan accordingly.

Disclaimer - I am not related in any way to the makers of this app - just found it useful and passing the info along.