Mridangam accompaniment: PSP vs. PMI styles

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
Sachi_R

Mridangam accompaniment: PSP vs. PMI styles

Post by Sachi_R »

Pursuant to the Mridangam thread I started some time ago, I have been receiving some insights from learned people that there were preferences and differences between the Pazhani style and the Mani Iyer style and musicians like Semmangudi did not like the "play the song" approach which impeded the main performer's creative flow.

I feel laymen like me will be vastly benefited by a discussion with actual audio clips. There are many here who can enlighten me.

So my request to resourceful rasikas is
1. Compile and link audio clips of similar/same songs sung respectively by ARI, SSI, GNB, MMI, LGJ, AB with mridangam accompaniment by respectively PSP and PMI. I feel we should not extend this comparison to their schools but catch the original style by directly listening to the masters.

2.So perhaps we will have 20-30 clips arranged in pairs. Then we can listen to them and exchange our impressions.

3. I would request the musicians and musicologists here to then comment on the assistance or inconvenience to the main performer's flow of creativity, sangatis etc. occasioned by the two styles.
This whole exercise will have one big benefit - we will listen to some great music. And people like me will get some good learning.

Where to host the audios for getting and sharing audio links? Please use your Google Drive or Cloudup.com or Archive.org. The last two are free. You will get a shareable link on pressing which any number of people can listen to the streaming music.
. If the music is already in a shareable link domain like Sangeethapriya or YouTube etc., that will also do. You can mention the exact cue point where we should listen in within the track.

Entire songs with P AP and C as well as N and S will be the best. If there is a T at the end, so much the better. I think these great mridangam vidwans always played a tani as an adornment for the main song.

Thank you
Sachi R
Meanwhile I will look around and share tracks too☺️