Marathon II

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
harimau

Marathon II

Post by harimau »

Trichur Sri Ramachandran at the Academy. Sang a rare krithi on Brahma in raga Poorna Panchamam. Just before that he had sung Poorna Shadjam. Which led Harimau to wonder if there are 5 more ragas named Poorna Rishabham (would that translate to Full Bull? :lol: ),.... etc. RTP in Brindavana Saranga. The less said about the violin the better.

Walked over to Narada Gana Sabha. Atrocious prices at the canteen.

Listened to 20-year-young Adityanarayanan. Student of Suguna Varadachari. Give him a listen rather than listening to the tired old retreads. He returned just a month back from a 12 city tour of the US where he got rave reviews.

Stayed on for Carnatic Idol Vishnudev Namboothiri. Song selection and pacing could have been better but overall a good concert.

Took a bio break and walked over to Mylapore Fine Arts and listened to the last 40 minutes of S Mahathi's concert. RTP in Kalyana vasantham. Ragamalika swarams included Mahathi (the raga) of course. Thillana in Garudadhwani composed by Mangalampalli Balamuralikrishna. Sounded like a flock of eagles screaming and attacking some unfortunate prey. You heard both the eagles and the prey. I don't blame Smt Mahathi for it; she rendered it as it was intended by the composer.

Malladi Brothers with Embar Kannan and Trichy Sankaran. Pure Carnatic music, pure bliss.
Last edited by harimau on 18 Dec 2017, 07:45, edited 1 time in total.

Sachi_R

Re: Marathon II

Post by Sachi_R »

Sounded like a flock of eagles screaming and attacking some unfortunate prey.
Harimau, you brought the imagery so vividly I heard in my mind the screeches of violins in distress as the wind section swooped down on them with claws and beaks bloody.

Then I heard BMK: https://youtu.be/pNLH2k5zG3M

Actually sounds good, although quirky, the charana is a tribute to Maheshwara Sutra, and surely invokes a Garuda in acrobatic flight ☺️
I am sure it was never intended to be presented seriously as a dance item.

harimau

Post by harimau »

Sachi_R wrote: 18 Dec 2017, 05:48
Sounded like a flock of eagles screaming and attacking some unfortunate prey.
.... I heard BMK: https://youtu.be/pNLH2k5zG3M

Actually sounds good, although quirky, the charana is a tribute to Maheshwara Sutra, and surely invokes a Garuda in acrobatic flight ☺️
I am sure it was never intended to be presented seriously as a dance item.
Thanks for the YouTube referral.

We can definitely blame Mahathi. Perhaps only BMK can make it sound somewhat melodious!

I now think perhaps Vishnu's Garuda was attacking the snake that is Siva's ornament when Mahathi presented this thillana. :evil:

Don't get your hopes up. There will be people requesting word-by-word meaning for this thillana on this very website and soon some dancing female from Andhra (or Telengana) would be presenting this on the stage! :lol:

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Ok☺️ Got it!

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

harimau wrote: 17 Dec 2017, 23:20 Malladi Brothers with Embar Kannan and Trichy Sankaran. Pure Carnatic music, pure bliss.
Am Surprised (Disappointed rather) that there is no review or even a song list posting of this concert/ or about the one at the MA with the same Team or even about the LAlgudi Siblings concert at the MA. Any chances of a review from you, Harimau?

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

semmu86 wrote: 26 Dec 2017, 13:20
harimau wrote: 17 Dec 2017, 23:20 Malladi Brothers with Embar Kannan and Trichy Sankaran. Pure Carnatic music, pure bliss.
Am Surprised (Disappointed rather) that there is no review or even a song list posting of this concert/ or about the one at the MA with the same Team or even about the LAlgudi Siblings concert at the MA. Any chances of a review from you, Harimau?
Your answer is embedded in your question :lol:
Perhaps most members of the forum have a taste to attend snake and monkey song concerts :lol: :lol: :lol:

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

harimau wrote: 17 Dec 2017, 23:20

Listened to 20-year-young Adityanarayanan. Student of Suguna Varadachari. Give him a listen rather than listening to the tired old retreads. He returned just a month back from a 12 city tour of the US where he got rave reviews.

Stayed on for Carnatic Idol Vishnudev Namboothiri. Song selection and pacing could have been better but overall a good concert.

Malladi Brothers with Embar Kannan and Trichy Sankaran. Pure Carnatic music, pure bliss.
Pure Carnatic Music - Malladis / Ramakrishnan Murthy / Vishnudev / Pantula Rama / Brinda Manikavachagam / Vidya Kalyanaraman / Sruti Sagar / JB Keerthana / Manda Sruti Ravali / A S Murali (Truly amazing music) / Jayanth / Visalakshi Nithyanand and a few more ...

It is a pleasure listening to them !!