nAtya kala conference 2017 @ KGS

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
shankarank

nAtya kala conference 2017 @ KGS

Post by shankarank »

Day ONE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnJvpBNgGuI

The awardee Ashish Mohan Kokar - the collector and preserver and dance historian. Curators are useful if those who seek their information have some amount of experience of the art to begin with. An example would be the MDR lecture - the Tiger's take on split syllable for vaRNam on Rukmini Devi Arundale - that did not catch the attention of anybody even though it was out there and posted in this forum.

Devdutt Patnaik speech. I already registered my comments in the other thread. But in a sense it is a victory of the twiteratti that he was invited to make that speech to the dancers there and I am sure much of what he said must be new to many. Calling it all myths , but speaking truthful essences from them at the same time is contradictory. That is the post modern method. That is all the more important when other faiths are using History to browbeat native traditions.

But what followed where impressive presentation on SRngAra by Geetha Chandran ( well impressive for me - as the only dances in NA I have been to are standard Kalkshetra/Padma S type dances). She did bring out her angst regarding loss of metaphorical meanings as regards current metro born children due to their environs!

The Kathakali presentation by Sadanam Balakrishnan was informative and his description of Ravana's 10 faces as 10 rasas ( from Gudiyattam tradition) and Mandodari in confusion as she was beguiled by all of them - was impressive. The performance part was long and I could not quite get the rasa transition on initial watch.

shankarank

Re: nAtya kala conference 2017 @ KGS

Post by shankarank »

Day Two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYAYtHI9xVI

There was a kathak presentation (anybody else interested can cover that).

But I skipped straight to Vairamuttu speech. If it was Ilayaraja for Music Academy, it is Vairamuttu for KGS. But I was moved by his sincere plea for Tamizh, having grown up listening to all the songs even as they were criticised by the Orthodoxy ( all elderly cousins - we heard from!) for his lyrics. I think he has snAnaprapti ;) (refering to the rookie MA Secretary's blog) for Dance, like if it were to die he would be upset.

He described love in all its glory in Tamizh literature and asked Srinidhi to take up a VeNba for elaboration from Andal's work at the conclusion of his speech.

I think this is a nice moment of inclusion for Bharata NAtyam to reach out to a great poet from tEni - Madurai district.

The debate I was listening to after that between dancers is the much beaten topic. Will post later.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Listening to that : https://youtu.be/CYAYtHI9xVI?t=7822 . SrngAra is a base rasa. But realities are different it seems. Science and Technology are moving by leaps and bounds!! Aha!. It reminds me of a final year humanities course - we the technologists from a premier institute were forced to take a credit on. Prof. Ambirajan challenged us with several books, that we need to read and present. Like Fritjof Capra, Schumaker. We were swayed by the rhetorical method of the authors.

The dancer is again the typical colonized Indian - she doesn't realize ( even if she knows) that metallurgy developed by leaps and bounds in ancient India.

But flowers still bloom on this decrepit , arid land of ours! Science and technology are utilitarian and they may provide some means to study things. But they are not the essence!

Bragha Bessel is winning the debate in my mind! Aniruddha Night made an excellent point about the media being vile is all the more reason to present SrngAram in the traditional way.

But then if people didn't whistle on every racy scene in Tamizh movies ( the great Brahmin / Others divide - in the movie theaters in U.S when Tamizh sangam used to get movies! ) , I would be fine going and watching them. Many have become uncomfortable that SRngAra has become eve-teasing. Now even if many Brahmins go the movies, not a single Tamizh sangam person comes to a CM concert - I have not seen one!

The one person, related to the Moopanar family who head the Thiruvaiyaru utsavam, who expressed interest in coming to Nithyashri concert even joked about , paTTu kEkkaNuma , illa pAppava pAkkaNuma - completely clueless about the art form's history!

But instead of going against media on their shocking vileness, they should rather call out the Leftism in the Media more than anything else. A pride in our cultural treasures would force many to stand up against the Leftist bent of our Journalists!

And for Swarnamalya's feminism , I am fine with it until it blames our traditions for it, in a standard leftist template! Also the way she turned Krishna into Christ terming it a communion with Supreme was interesting. I remember asking a Catholic when his daughter had it - whether it is similar to baptising :twisted: - and he had a look on me - you the ignorant fool - and answered quietly - "yeah something like it".

But then she (Swarnamalya) is facing a bunch of Catholics from the other side :lol: . So why not ? ;)

I know why RSR expressed his disdain for Dance in the Bhakti thread. He wants no threat to the factors of production and their efficiency! :twisted:

Vileness can be addressed with sympathy! But leftism must be fought with a tough mind taking a tough stand!

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Day 3

Rookie Secretary of MA is in his best self in front of a sadas of Women ( unlike his blogs!) - well sadas sounds too patriarchal... the conference should be named nATya kala vidyAlOcanam or vidyArOhaNam - to portray a feminine character to the meet.

https://youtu.be/vmX0A3J_HHk?t=6290

He demolishes smArtaDom of post tyAgarAjA and the mamADom of Mylapore ( oh! it is a metaphor, so include Thanjavur! as well ;) ) way better than his YACMite, fellowite can - as he does not bring in marxist baggage nonsense!

But at the end he says they (the post tyAgarAjAyites) failed to realize that SrngArA is an essential ingredient of tyAgarAjA's music - well it is an essential ingredient of all music - not just tyAgarAjA's - and even if anybody denies it , it is plain wrong.

Vairamuttu, all the debaters , the Kutchipudi presenter, and the Rookie MA Secretary failed to point out that, in the first of pronouncements of great literature , SrngArA/sense of sacred is dealt with.

Thirukkural ascribes beauty to letters when it declares, letters are born out of AkArA and sacred like the world created from Adi-Bhagavan - where this was also interpreted as first parents.

Upanishad ( not vEdas, the vEdanta!) , discusses sandhi - the conjoint of letters and extends the metaphor to matA-pitA-praja metaphor as well, affirming SrngAra at creation.

The great nItis spoken in all these works get reduced in their grandeur ( how much ever they appeal to logic!) , if the sense of sacred is not acknowledged and that is when SrngArA looks vulgar (virasa or devoid of any rasa!) as well!
Last edited by shankarank on 10 Jan 2018, 03:04, edited 2 times in total.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

And lets look at other kavyas. - Source : Sri TNS's Gita Govindam harikatha - although I have added a few more!

Valimiki Ramayanam

Maa Nishada Pratistham Tvamagamahsāsvati Samaa
Yat Kraunchamithunaadekam Avadhi Kaamamohitam

Even if this is not the first SlOka - this is the inspiration of RamAyaNa.

viShNu sahasra nAmam

viSvam viShnuR - universe is referred.

Periya PurANam

உலகெ லாமுணர்ந் தோதற் கரியவன்
நிலவு லாவிய நீர்மலி வேணியன்
அலகில் சோதிய னம்பலத் தாடுவான்
மலர்சி லம்படி வாழ்த்தி வணங்குவாம்.

Describes his locks in beautiful terms even as it mentions the world! In forumite Uday's parlance Shivji's locks! ;)

Raghuvamsa Mahakavya

वागर्थाविव संपृक्तौ वागर्थप्रतिपत्तये।
जगतः पितरौ वन्दे पार्वतीपरमेश्वरौ॥ १-१

Conjoint of word and meaning , mentions the world, parvati-paramESvara

tyAgaraja's first pancaratna

jagadAnandakAraka , jaya jAnaki ramaNA

Mentions the world and his consort!

dyAna Sloka of Srimad BhagavatgitA
vasudEva sutam devam... dEvaki paramAndam.. jagatgurum.

mentions world and both parents

Dikshitar's SrI nAthadi

Simply addresses the guruguha as an amsa of all devatas starting with SrI nAtha - right there. And mentions universe twice anupallavai & caraNam nAnA prapanca, mAya maya viSvAdiSHTAnO

Srngara (specific): mAra kOTi sundara svarUpO - where mAra refers to the cupid.

kamba rAmAyaNam

begins with world as well.. mentions the lIla which is SrngAra

உலகம் யாவையும் தாம் உளவாக்கலும்,

நிலைபெறுத்தலும், நீக்கலும், நீங்கலா

அலகு இலா விளையாட்டு உடையார் அவர்

தலைவர்; அன்னவர்க்கே சரண் நாங்களே

gIta gOvindam

The dhyAna Sloka is SrngAra

मेघैर्मेदुरमम्बरम् वनभुवः श्यामास्तमालद्रुमैः
नक्तम् भीरुरयम् त्वमेव तदिमम् राधे गृहम् प्रापय।
इत्थम् नन्दनिदेशितश्चलितयोः प्रत्यध्वकुञ्जद्रुमम्
राधामाधवयोर्जयन्ति यमुनाकूले रहःकेलयः

The world gets mentioned in the first stanza of the ashTapati:

प्रलयपयोधिजले धृतवानसि वेदम् । विहितवहित्रचरित्रमखेदम्॥
केशवाधृतमीनशरीर जयजगदीशहरे

tiruppAvai
மார்கழித் திங்கள் மதிநிறைந்த நன்னாளால்!
நீராடப் போதுவீர் போதுமினோ நேரிழையீர்!
சீர்மல்கும் ஆய்ப்பாடிச் செல்வச் சிறுமீர்காள்!
கூர்வேல் கொடுந்தொழிலன் நந்தகோபன் குமரன்
ஏரார்ந்த கண்ணி யசோதை இளம்சிங்கம்
கார்மேனிச் செங்கண் கதிர் மதியம் போல்முகத்தான்
நாராயணனே நமக்கே பறை தருவான்
பாரோர் புகழப் படிந்தேலோர் எம்பாவாய்

No dearth of SrngAra, but both parents (nanda and yaSOdA) are mentioned. And World (pArOr) is mentioned. Second tiruppavai (vaiyyattu) - begins with the world!)
Last edited by shankarank on 10 Jan 2018, 05:06, edited 3 times in total.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Dikshitar's navagraha 1st kriti on sUrya

1. SrngAra : sundara chAyati patE
2. World: jagat-prakASa simha rASyAti patE

Second kriti candram bhaja has both references as well.

Dikshitar's navavaraNam dhyAna kriti

1. SrngAra : No need for a specific mention!
2. World : JagadambikE, sakalalOka nAyikE

Dikshitar's navavaraNam 1st vibhakti kriti

1. SrngAra : No need to mention - but a specific reference: sundara mana priyakara sakhi
2. World : trailOkya

Interestingly I cannot find a reference to world in second vibhakti kamalAmbam BhajarE (kalyANI) - although further down kritis may have it.

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

shankarank wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 21:33 Day 3

Rookie Secretary of MA is in his best self in front of a sadas of Women ( unlike his blogs!) - well sadas sounds too patriarchal... the conference should be named nATya kala vidyAlOchanam or vidyArOhaNam - to portray a feminine character to the meet.

https://youtu.be/vmX0A3J_HHk?t=6290

He demolishes smArtaDom of post tyAgarAjA and the mamADom of Mylapore ( oh! it is a metaphor, so include Thanjavur! as well ;) ) way better than his YACMite, fellowite can - as he does not bring in marxist baggage nonsense!

But at the end he says they (the post tyAgarAjAyites) failed to realize that SrngArA is an essential ingredient of tyAgarAjA's music - well it is an essential ingredient of all music - not just tyAgarAjA's - and even if anybody denies it , it is plain wrong.
Thank you for sharing this, would have never seen this but for your post. Sabash. I enjoyed the speech.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Oothukadu venkaTakavi NavAvaraNam

Ganesha stuti:

shree gaṇēshvara jaya jagadeeshvara

- world referred.

SrngAra: kānti sundara tuṇḍa lōlakara tāṇḍava kōṭi divākara

1st AvaraNa kriti:
santatam aham sēvē shree trailōkyamōhana chakra nilayē
sarvasiddhi samooha sēvitē sakalāgama nutē lōka bhāvitē

world referred twice.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

shankarank,

Could I meet you at KGS tomorrow (11th)?

At the Canteen? by what time?

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Thanks for expressing the interest! I am posting this after viewing them online. Unfortunately, I am not present in person. I will send you a private message.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Dikshitar's catuRdaSa rAgamAlika

SrI ViSvanAtham bhajEham
catuRdaSa bhuvana rUpa rAgamAlika bharaNa dharaNAntahkaraNam

World referred. And 15th caraNam is full of description of beauty of SrI viSvanAtha

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

cilpapatikAram

http://silapathikaram.com/blog/?p=605

The beauty of moon is described even as the world is mentioned.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Day 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKA7DOy3bE

The mohini ATTam presentation with Dr Nina Prasad was so beautiful to watch. sumasayaka , something I remember from TMK's KGS concert with TS and KVG - published commercially by Charsur , of course later KVN from recordings.

This slow paced rendition as part of the dance was lilting. The additional percussion - a type of maddalam - don't know it's name, but the sound is familiar, the Gumuki side is played with a curved stick, if I guessed the instrument correctly! I have heard the instrument played by a Varriar in a temple at Mammiyur , Kerala, for an AShTapati rendition in the sannidhi in Bhairavi rAgam.

Smt. AlarmEl Valli's presentation was also nice. She shared some deep personal stories about feelings of yearning that she and her mother have experienced.

The speech by Arundhati Subramaniam tried to appeal beyond "what is the norm" narrative, about Bhakti poets and their diverse back grounds.