where to practice vocal

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
jyothi69

where to practice vocal

Post by jyothi69 »

Hi all, I'm new to Rasika's, thank you for the admins for letting me in. I have asked this question several musicians but I did not get a proper ( or you can say satisfactory) answer. My question is " Is it better to practice vocal music in an open setting ( like verandah or open ceiling room) or in a confined 12x12 feet room, and WHY?" Did anyone notice that it does make a difference or it's just me? if I get an answer, it helps me to be a better singer. Thank you.

thenpaanan

Re: where to practice vocal

Post by thenpaanan »

jyothi69 wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 04:01 Hi all, I'm new to Rasika's, thank you for the admins for letting me in. I have asked this question several musicians but I did not get a proper ( or you can say satisfactory) answer. My question is " Is it better to practice vocal music in an open setting ( like verandah or open ceiling room) or in a confined 12x12 feet room, and WHY?" Did anyone notice that it does make a difference or it's just me? if I get an answer, it helps me to be a better singer. Thank you.
I guess it depends on what you are looking to gain. When you say "better singer" can you elaborate? Unfortunately we do not have good tangible standards on good singing in CM and so there is no baseline to compare with. Could you say a bit more on what your desirable qualities are?

-Thenpaanan

ratanabhinav

Post by ratanabhinav »

At a place where you would be able to hear yourself well . At a place where the quality f the music produced would be made more beautiful by the natural / artificial acoustics at the place .
Regards

jyothi69

Post by jyothi69 »

thenpaanan wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 22:30
jyothi69 wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 04:01 Hi all, I'm new to Rasika's, thank you for the admins for letting me in. I have asked this question several musicians but I did not get a proper ( or you can say satisfactory) answer. My question is " Is it better to practice vocal music in an open setting ( like verandah or open ceiling room) or in a confined 12x12 feet room, and WHY?" Did anyone notice that it does make a difference or it's just me? if I get an answer, it helps me to be a better singer. Thank you.
I guess it depends on what you are looking to gain. When you say "better singer" can you elaborate? Unfortunately we do not have good tangible standards on good singing in CM and so there is no baseline to compare with. Could you say a bit more on what your desirable qualities are?

-Thenpaanan
Thank you for the response, I started learning music 6 years ago, I did notice there is a difference when I practice in different locations. I was unable to figure it out? where should I practice? I can put in proper words where should I practice as a student. what would some of the teachers advice their students to practice? I want to improve my voice in terms of quality, ease and clarity of sangatis.

ratanabhinav

Post by ratanabhinav »

jyothi69 wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 21:17
thenpaanan wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 22:30

-Thenpaanan
Thank you for the response, I started learning music 6 years ago, I did notice there is a difference when I practice in different locations. I was unable to figure it out? where should I practice? I can put in proper words where should I practice as a student. what would some of the teachers advice their students to practice? I want to improve my voice in terms of quality, ease and clarity of sangatis.
In an open space , the sound from your voice gets dissipated into the surroundings due to wind and hence you would not be able to hear yourself well . It's very important to hear the anuswaras that you would produce from your voice . I would suggest a closed room with no air conditioning or fan . The effect is ethereal as the sound reverberates and much effort from the voice is not necessary . But you could try out singing at various places / environs and then come to a conclusion as to which is the preferred one and why is it so .
Regards

ramamatya

Post by ramamatya »

Kaveri-yoram...

Better still, immerse yourself in water up to neck for vocal practice - good for the vocal cords.

thenpaanan

Post by thenpaanan »

jyothi69 wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 21:17 Thank you for the response, I started learning music 6 years ago, I did notice there is a difference when I practice in different locations. I was unable to figure it out? where should I practice? I can put in proper words where should I practice as a student. what would some of the teachers advice their students to practice? I want to improve my voice in terms of quality, ease and clarity of sangatis.
The simple answer might be you should practice in the same kind of space that you will be performing in. The open space would probably come closer if you are progressing towards giving concerts in sabhas.

The longer answer : the biggest factor in the answer to your question is auditory feedback. If you sing in an open space, chances are that you will not be able to hear yourself consistently (or even at all). To improve you have to be able to hear yourself. The mark of a good singer is that every single note is sung with care and attention and appropriate energy. If you sing in a closed space you will probably hear yourself better but closed spaces can play tricks on you too -- you may sound louder than you would sound elsewhere and that may cause you to hold back and that is bad for singing.

I think it is almost immaterial where you practice. When it comes to voice, the best thing to do without any doubt is to record yourself and listen to your recordings, wherever and whenever you sing. Only then will you have an idea of what others are hearing (as opposed to what you hear while singing). And don't be shy. Sing your voice out fully and if the people around you complain tell them to go elsewhere.

-T

Vayoo Flute

Post by Vayoo Flute »

Agree with the last person's comment.

If you want to enjoy your singing, you need some reverb and you need a closed space. However too much reverb can spoil things and your swaras will lack clarity. Best to experiment.

If you want to improve by being critical and focusing on your deficiencies, best would be a studio like setting - inside a room with acoustic insulation.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

closed room, acoustically good room, open space, etc does not represent reality. Practice in front of your puja room or hall facing puja room keeping windows and doors open IMHO

jyothi69

Post by jyothi69 »

Thank you all for the responses.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

And finally, singing in an open space enables one to enhance stamina/lung power and perhaps the ability to sing at higher pitches.
Yes, a river bank could be the best spot for an open space if you have a locale nearby.