Guess the 10 Ragas and the Artistes in this video clip.

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
asangeetha

Guess the 10 Ragas and the Artistes in this video clip.

Post by asangeetha »

Here is a video clip containing ten short audio excerpts from various artistes. The goal is to identify the ten ragas and the corresponding artistes rendering them.

Posted this clip on various forums and haven't gotten 100% from anyone yet. I thought this forum might be able to do justice. Try it for fun! Answers can be given here or in the comments section in the youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWISfpr ... e=youtu.be

MaheshS

Re: Guess the 10 Ragas and the Artistes in this video clip.

Post by MaheshS »

First pass in work with not 100% attention,

2. TNS - Dwijavanthi
3. Santhanam - Hamsanadham
9. DKP / DKJ - Thilang
10. DKJ - Valachi

I've identified all the ragas but not the artist, in one case the other way around.

6. MLV - ??

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Deva manohari - Ariyakudi
Dwijavanti - TNS
Hamsanadam - MVS
Amruthavarshini - Sathur A G S
Manirangu - Ramani
Nata Bhairavi - TRS
Bhupalam - VVS
Saraswati - MC
Tilang - DKP
Valaji - DKJ

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

My guesses for all the ragas and only a couple of aThe artists:

1. Devamanohari
2. Dwijavanti -TNS
3. Hamsanadam - Maharajapuram SAnthanam
4. Amritavarshini
5. Manirangu - Ramani
6. Natabhairavi
7. Revagupti
8. Saraswati
9. Tilang
10. Valaj

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Asangeeta
Give time till sunday night or monday morning ist. No time and privacy to hear youtube during weekdays

asangeetha

Post by asangeetha »

Would be happy to wait till next week. A helpful tip to listen to each clip completely.

Hint 1: 2 of them tricky and might sound like a similar raga since the difference is in a single note only.
Hint 2: Flute is not Mali and the violinists are not MSG or Lalgudi

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Asangeetha,
I heard the portion I mistook for Bhupalam. It IS Revagupti. Kindly consider my answer revised.
Also Natabhairavi is MLV.
So my final answer:
Deva manohari - Ariyakudi
Dwijavanti - TNS
Hamsanadam - MVS
Amruthavarshini - Sathur A G S
Manirangu - Ramani
Nata Bhairavi - MLV
Revagupti - VVS
Saraswati - MC
Tilang - DKP
Valaji - DKJ

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

Deva manohari - GNB
Dwijavanti - TNS
Hamsanadam - Santhanam
Mandari - Alathur
Manirangu - Ramani/Lalgudi
Natabhairavi - MLV
Revagupti - Lalgudi ?
Saraswati - MC
Tilang - DKP
Valaji - DKJ
Last edited by ram1999 on 11 Jan 2018, 11:52, edited 2 times in total.

rupavathi

Post by rupavathi »

Devamanohari - ARI
Dwiajavanti - TNS
Hamsanadam - Santhanam
Mandari - Alathur Srinivasa Iyer
Manirangu - KSG
Natabhairavi - MLV
Revagupti - Kanya
Saraswathi - MC
Tilang - DKP-DKJ
Valaji - DKJ
Last edited by rupavathi on 10 Jan 2018, 18:43, edited 2 times in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

asangeetha wrote: ↑10 Jan 2018, 11:25 Would be happy to wait till next week. A helpful tip to listen to each clip completely.

Hint 1: 2 of them tricky and might sound like a similar raga since the difference is in a single note only.
Hint 2: Flute is not Mali and the violinists are not MSG or Lalgudi
Donot give any more tips .Process of elimination and coming to the right answer is not right way to show what we know. I heard very quickly today morning . I was only breaking my head on 1 , and the two violinists in first pass.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

yes, Rajesh, hints, and others' answers, make us revise our own. For example, the Mandari is clear by listening to the last subsecond touching of Ri. I missed it in the first pass.
It is moot to ask if Mandari should be sung like that.

Asangeetha, please pose more such audio quizzes.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Rajesh, a good way would be to listen without reading. Do that now! 😊

I'm so impressed with the person who found out the mandari. Ah, Ram1999 πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ».. Yes in the beginning of the snippet, it didn't sound like anything and to my surprise, it ended up "being " amritavarshini and I thought it was my fault for not recognizing it immediately! But I should have followed that question and checked out why it didn't immediately sound like amritavarshini. Mandari is a completely unfamiliar raga to me. RSachi, it's not only at the very end, there is one occurrence of the ri in the beginning too, both fleeting. I listened to it a few times, so I'm not sure if there are more occurrences that I heard too. I checked out the swarms I heard in the Wikipedia list of janyas and sure enough, there it is, a janya of pantuvarali.

Acknowledging the right answer, but no need to revise mine, I am not sure about most of the artists anyway.

This is a great test, we should have more! Stimulating, I welcome it!! Thanks, Asangeeta!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Sachi_R wrote: ↑10 Jan 2018, 22:24 yes, Rajesh, hints, and others' answers, make us revise our own.
All I am saying is let the question paper teacher not give clues (in this case asangeetha),

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Ranganayaki,
I did the test zipping into the city at midnight in a Megacab from the airport πŸ€ͺ so audio not heard too well (wind effect)

Mandari is a commonly occurring raga in the first quadrant of a concert.

https://streaming.acharyanet.com/all-le ... udevachar/
https://youtu.be/FYoEXwC19tU

asangeetha

Post by asangeetha »

Rasikas has come through once again with the guesses. :-) I will post the final answers next week for sure. It was challenging to put together the right phrases in the audio so that the entire gamut of the raga scale could be shown. Otherwise, the whole exercise is moot. I do plan to go through the top 100 ragas in Carnatic Music and this was the first one in the series. Look forward to doing that and sharing here.

Another interesting concept that I wondered about is that for music students, its somewhat easy to discern lesser known ragas by finding the notes in the scale. Can a non-music student, say.. a good Rasika be trained to figure these out? Of course, many can find out rakti ragas without knowing the scale of the raga but can one be trained to find the lesser known ragas that need scale based understanding as well? Maybe a training technique that helps a fairly serious Rasika who has not learned music (but listened a lot) to be able to understand subtle differences in allied ragas whose scales differ only slightly?

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Sachi_R wrote: ↑11 Jan 2018, 08:31 Ranganayaki,
I did the test zipping into the city at midnight in a Megacab from the airport πŸ€ͺ so audio not heard too well (wind effect)

Mandari is a commonly occurring raga in the first quadrant of a concert.

https://streaming.acharyanet.com/all-le ... udevachar/
https://youtu.be/FYoEXwC19tU
RSachi, wasn't finding fault, just informing you that I'd found more - just in case.. I did think that you'd probably already heard the whole thing..

Thsnks for the Mmandari info!

We have just a handful of concerts in a whole year.. I've never heard it sung
Yt.. I listen to recorded music and it has never come up!!

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

Ranganayaki wrote: ↑11 Jan 2018, 10:15

Thsnks for the Mmandari info!

We have just a handful of concerts in a whole year.. I've never heard it sung
Yt.. I listen to recorded music and it has never come up!!
Some of the stupendous renditions - Nedunuri / Hyderabad Bros / Alathur / Sathur / MLV / ....

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

ram1999 wrote: ↑11 Jan 2018, 13:26

Some of the stupendous renditions - Nedunuri / Hyderabad Bros / Alathur / Sathur / MLV / ....
Thank you, will try to find!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Rajesh answers with few explanations
----------------------------------------------
I treat all of these quizzes more like also eliminating the cluster of near correct answers and finally tieing up the paper with the thread as time was up . Brief explanation just to give a bit more kick to asangeetha who did this great job for those which were non sitters.

1. Ariyakudi - devamanohari
I had zoned few musicians like Ariyakudi,GNB etc but finally rounded up as Ariyakudi
2.TN Seshagopalan - dwijAvanthi
3.Maharajapuram Santhanam - hamsanadam
4. Alathur Srinivasa Iyer - Mandari
I got the cue of mandari somewhat but i was thinking of putting TK Rangachari . But I had heard TK rangachari only singing Amrithavarshini. But I was also not sure if it was indeed TK Rangachari . Then I copied the answer from rupavathi who i think has got the alathur srinivasa Iyer

5.Ramani - manirangu
I know it is not mali but who else it could be other than Ramani or KS Gopalakrishnan. Went with Ramani. This is quite tough the serene blow of KSG is also there.

6.MLV - natabhairavi
7. V V Subramaniam- revagupti
VVS azhuttam is kind of there . Revagupti or bowli was a little search but went with revagupti
8.M Chandrasekaran - saraswati
M Chandrasekaran may be a better answer than kanyakumari . I am making a calculative guess here as i did not hear that metallic sound of Kanyakumari. The tone does not have TNK-Lalgudi-MSG schools for sure.

9. DKJ and DKP - tilang
10. DKJ- Valaji
This could be bit tricky apart from hearing DKJ did i also kind of heard a nedanuri there . Still had to tie the paper time up so i went to DKJ.

narayan

Post by narayan »

Both Mandari and Hamsanadam - Ramnad Krishnan
Manirangu is probably KSG
In any case, that was fun! Thanks.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

narayan wrote: ↑13 Jan 2018, 08:39 Manirangu is probably KSG
narayan,
I was also kind of not sure between ksg and ramani , but had to tie the paper and hence put Ramani. May I know how you and rupavati disambiguated between ramani and KSG. I need that input that too from a musician who some times also performs.

narayan

Post by narayan »

rajeshnat wrote: ↑13 Jan 2018, 10:51 narayan,
May I know how you and rupavati disambiguated between ramani and KSG.
* My answer is just a guess. Let us wait till we get the answers.
* Changing my Mandari guess to "Alathur". Perils of unrestrained Ramnad Krishnan fan-hood on my side!

asangeetha

Post by asangeetha »

Thanks for your patience, it was lovely to see the thought processes of finding out the artistes and ragas. I also realized that slightly longer clips would have been better :-)

To make this exercise more meaningful, I have put up the full renditions of the excerpts used in this quiz along with some basic details of the raga like scale and janya information. Wherever we have enlightening explanations in the Acharyanet lessons pertaining to these ragas, those have been linked as well. These can be found here.

There is also a quiz on the site now with the same questions and on completion, the answers will be revealed, one for raga and one for artiste. These can be found here.

Here are the answers:

1) Devamanohari, Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyengar
2) Dwijayavanti, TN Seshagopalan
3) Hamsanadam, Maharajapuram Santhanam
4) Mandari, Alathur Srinivasa Iyer
5) Manirangu, KS Gopalakrishnan
6) Natabairavi, ML Vasantakumari
7) Revagupti, MS Anantharaman, Sundareshwaran
8) Saraswathi, M Chandrashekar
9) Tilang, DKPattamal, DK Jayaraman
10) Valaji , DK Jayaraman

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

One I got by near fluke M chandrasekar,I just thought . There is no way I would have got MS Anantharaman and Sundareswaran- may be there is a distinct tonal difference between MSG and MSA, but with near zero listening to MSA , possibly i thought MSA was may be VVS. Manirangu went To KSG and I got it wrong with Ramani though was always in double mind .

WHen you think bit too much you get M Chandrasekaran but you also lose KSG- I guess that is carnatic rasika life some times you dont know where you have to bang more or bang less your head.

asangeetha,
In the clip #7 revagupti the answer links says MSA , Sundareswaran and Krishnaswamy. I guess you were bit too smart in not putting a clip where there were 3 violins - even then I would have answered wrongly as VVS - VV Ravi- VVS Murari. I have still not get the charm of MSA bow, the tonal difference in melody is way too different than MSG. I wish I hear living legend MS Anantharaman recordings as an accompaniment are way too spectacular.

Great job.

narayan

Post by narayan »

rajeshnat wrote: ↑13 Jan 2018, 10:51 narayan,
I was also kind of not sure between ksg and ramani , but had to tie the paper and hence put Ramani. May I know how you and rupavati disambiguated between ramani and KSG. I need that input that too from a musician who some times also performs.
Dear rajeshnat,
I am not foolproof in disambiguation since I also got things wrong! I have listened to more of KSG than Ramani, so may be I am biased or tuned, or something. I can say steady tone, leisurely approach to raga development and ... is what led me to guess KSG. Not very helpful, I imagine.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

narayan wrote: ↑15 Jan 2018, 12:20 I am not foolproof in disambiguation since I also got things wrong! I have listened to more of KSG than Ramani, so may be I am biased or tuned, or something. I can say steady tone, leisurely approach to raga development and ... is what led me to guess KSG. Not very helpful, I imagine.
Usually there is more serene blow in general with KSG and more sowkhyam , for me i like KSG even more than Mali and Ramani as KSG goes more straight to my heart. Indeed i was surprised that you even did not get maharajapuram santhanam and named that clip as Ramnad krishnan. If this quiz was conducted in 1990 I would have only got two right - that is maharajapuram santhanam and TN Seshagopalan along with hamsanadam and dwijavanthi respectively. Tx Narayan