SRLKM Tarangini, Dec.'17 - MDR, Radha Jayalakshmi, & more

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
Sachi_R

SRLKM Tarangini, Dec.'17 - MDR, Radha Jayalakshmi, & more

Post by Sachi_R »

What a lovely issue. MDR, the ever-great!
http://www.srlkmandira.org/newsletters/ ... 3Dec17.pdf

arasi

Re: SRLKM Tarangini, Dec.'17 - MDR, Radha Jayalakshmi, & more

Post by arasi »

Yes, indeed!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

IT looks our SRK has written about MDR . I read two articles on MDR and Sathyavati- and I liked it . Over the years I just see the SRLKM of Bangalore is kind of SKGS of chennai , they pay a lot of attention to publish great writeups . There is just a huge gap say from Music Academy in terms of building an institution vs just running a sabha . I think SRLKM is doing a great job

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

I also see in the writeup where CRama has given a top page writeup like letters to editor . I also brinda manickavasagan has written about Bombay sisters , i am assuming she is the vidushi Brinda Manickavasagan , student of suguna varadachari(Nick mentioned few months back that she is now moved to bangalore may be that should be only the same brinda). this writeup is very much like sruti magazine.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

This one seems to set at rest any controversy that CM is about Bhakthi:
Bombay Sisters:
Another interesting incident that took place at the start of their career was when they had gone for their very first AIR live recording. There was some last minute change in schedule and they were asked to sing devotional music for half an hour. “We were very upset. That was when Palghat Sundaram Iyer (Ghatam Vidvan) approached us and said – ‘What is devotional? Everything we sing is devotional!’

RSR

Post by RSR »

#5->1) Carnatic music is definitely Bakthi-oriented. By definition, we mean the kruthis from Purandharadasa (1500) , said to be the founder of CM system as it stands today. , followed by Sadasiva Brammendram, the Trinity , Swathi ThirunaL, Badhrachalam Ramadasar, and recent composers like Mysore Vasudevaxchar. and others. In the thousands of these compositions, how many are non-theistic? 2) Raga Alaapanai, of course does not have lyrics. But , such alaapaanais always take up a kruthi at the end. 3) It is said that the saint-composers did not encourage either alaapana or sangathis. They always gave very short kruthis. The emphasis was on the lyrics and in turn the lyrics dealt with bakthi only. 4) In classical CM, singing is not for showing off one's vidwath and virtuosity. but transporting ourselves and the listeners to a state of non-self, free from mundane passions . 5) Purandharadasa and Sadasibvam's songs are typically short , simple and sweet. 6) This is not to say that ragam does not have a life of its own. It does. The famed Todi Alaapana for a few hours by Nagaswaram Vidvan Rajarathnam Pillai is an example. 6) Pure music itself can be naadhabrammam. but no gimmicks. Difficult to explain. but can be only be sensed. 7) Let us approach CM from the angle of mystical transportation. It holds good for Literature too. especially poetry.. Only when we misconstrue , confusions like the controversy about AAadaaL, surface. Neither Music nor Literature, ( in fact all Art forms) should have a definite social purpose. especially in social context.