'RASIKAS'. FORUM ENTERING THE 11th YEAR

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
ratanabhinav

Re: 'RASIKAS'. FORUM ENTERING THE 13th YEAR

Post by ratanabhinav »

shankarank wrote: 11 Feb 2018, 23:27
ratanabhinav wrote: 11 Feb 2018, 11:58 Wishes to rasikas !
1. " 1) ' smilies' can be removed "
Why ?
The intellecteratti has no time or patience for emotion - it should be seperated from rationality like seperation of Church and State!
ratanabhinav wrote: 11 Feb 2018, 11:58 2. 3) positive rather than 'negative' posts and comments should be encouraged.
Unfair . The person concerned must take the negative feedback as constructive criticism or ignore it .
Critical discourse is the sole preserve of approved members of the intellecteratti , who are selected based on peer reviews using gatekeepers of knowledge! They will inject criticism like a venom or slow poison without you knowing it - nothing direct or on the face.
ratanabhinav wrote: 11 Feb 2018, 11:58 3. 4) photos and images should be very sparingly used.
A picture says a thousand words . Pics of concerts , yesteryear musicians contribute to rasikas' rasikatvam .
Kim Jong Un's close friend are you ? :o :o
A picture or an artifact is to be subjected to archaeological investigation using anthropological method - whose flow of logic is approved and accepted in the domain of intellecteratti. Without that they are of no use. Unless they interpet it for you, you have no proper sense to know it yourself.

First you have to uproot yourself from your upbringing, your ancestral values, become a citizen of material reality, which aims to create the perfect material world , where all humans are sinners ( reconstituted as potential oppressors in their framework as the latter is value free characterization!) - and that is the reason why, they ought to be treated as equals - not that equality itself is a virtue! Suspicion ad-infinitum is the critical method - and human existence should function just like the physical world of materials - all logically derivable in a deterministic cartesian reductionist fashion!
I thought emoticons could express emotions like laughter , anger etc in a concise manner .
Let them inject venom , let us ignore it .
Don't understand what you are trying to say regarding pictures . I feel that pictures of concerts need no interpretation . So do pictures of musicians .
And lastly , I'm not a follower of my ancestral values . I'm a humanist .

RSR

Re: 'RASIKAS'. FORUM ENTERING THE 11th YEAR

Post by RSR »

@26-> #23 is not 'against' your post! but actually supporting ! . read between the lines. Tilting at windmills

RSR

Post by RSR »

@18-> Sachi-> If I mention the songs for which I need ragam information here , it may not be proper as it should be posted in the ragam section. I will place all my doubts in my website page and you can enlighten me regarding the ragams. through the comments. For the moment, however, why not have a look in vasanthakokilam section and join the discussion about the ragam of the opening stanza of 'Pillaip piraayatthile' ? My contention is that it is Tilang. while Sri.VK feels that it is Neelaambari. and has asked for more inputs. to clarify and settle the issue.

ratanabhinav

Post by ratanabhinav »

Don't know what Sri . shankarank was trying to convey. Especially the last paragraph seems so out of place .

RSR

Post by RSR »

@7-> My intention was that YOU can then post YOUR political ideas there, with the permission of the moderator. Better still, why not have a lounge for lousy politics? and tEnglish literature? Continental philosophy which Russell dismisses as no philosophy at all. ? Western Marxism.? deriding deridas? Alas! this forum is strictly for Carnatic music and 'related' disciplines. No need to lose heart. There are plenty of forums out there to share your piercing perceptions. Birthday wishes seem to have tricked down! The thread has to be kept alive at least by slinging.

RSR

Post by RSR »

In or about 2017, a team of archaeologists led by Nicolò Marchetti of the University of Bologna pieced together the fragments of a Hittite pot from approximately 1700 BC that had been found in Karkamış, Turkey. After it was pieced together, the team saw that it had what appeared to be a large smiley face painted on it

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Intellect+eratti
eratti in Kannada (and perhaps Tamil): people with a tendency for self promotion, bragging, jumping around, throwing comments at people and things, showing off, being unbearable, seeking forums and groups of similar obnoxious people.
And the Intellect presumed or actual is the weapon of choice.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

RSR wrote: 12 Feb 2018, 23:15 @18-> Sachi-> If I mention the songs for which I need ragam information here , it may not be proper as it should be posted in the ragam section. I will place all my doubts in my website page and you can enlighten me regarding the ragams. through the comments. For the moment, however, why not have a look in vasanthakokilam section and join the discussion about the ragam of the opening stanza of 'Pillaip piraayatthile' ? My contention is that it is Tilang. while Sri.VK feels that it is Neelaambari. and has asked for more inputs. to clarify and settle the issue.
I checked and couldn't find a discussion, so I'm commenting here, if you don't mind. I heard the song, I think too that it is Neelambari.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Sachi_R wrote: 13 Feb 2018, 07:39 Intellect+eratti
eratti in Kannada (and perhaps Tamil) ...
In English. Glitteratti might have been been the original common use to have given us this suffix. That word, google informs, was coined in the 1950s in USA. In its turn, it is based on literati, the etymology of which is Latin, and dates back to 1600s.

Of course, Google is not the last word, although I usually accept it as being reliable enough to save me the walk to the bookshelf and lifting the heavy dictionary ;). It is possible that they have entirely missed a contribution from Southern India! :lol:

But surely India has its own word... I recall a conversation with friends in which is was liberally (that might be a clue!) used, but cannot open the brain cell. But I think it was of northern origin.

RSR

Post by RSR »

#33-> Ranganayaki( Madam/Sir?)-> Thank you. The discussion is in vidwans-vidhushis
n.c.vasanthakokilam, pages 3,4,5, beginning from post 51 to 112 Sri.VK's comment at 112.
May I request you to add your comment there at 113? Also, reading through all the comments from 51 to 121 may help us to get the ragam correct.

RSR

Post by RSR »

'literati'...literacy...literature...literate(adj) ..ill-literate(adj) ..semi-literate(adj) .... perhaps ilakkiyam in tamil. ?
glitter..'glitterati'..glittering.( all that glitters....)
intellecterati? yanks and semi-yanks have 'enriched' the language.. here is what I found when googling for the term. "Here's what I love about Cal. Everyone there is freakin' BRILLIANT. I loved being surrounded by an panoply of freaks, geeks and intellecterati. I was a pre-med, and I know a lot of my classmates made it to med school. I swear I was in classes with the future discoverers of the cure for cancer. I know a few who went on to PhD programs at MIT, Harvard, Princeton and other UC schools. Some of my friends were humanities students (philosophy, English, etc.), some were econ, polic sci, busines. But a big chunk of my friends were engineers.But for all their intellect, Cal students are an odd lot (and that's a good thing). By and large, Cal students aren't preoccupied with fashion and showing off.
Last edited by RSR on 13 Feb 2018, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

@28 RSR,
This seems to be the song, right?
https://youtu.be/IxkyKHMzPJM

The opening strains are Tilang, but quickly the instruments and singer move to an indubitable Nilambari.
So it's a tie!

RSR

Post by RSR »

@37-> yes. it is the song. I still have reservations. as I have mentioned in the thread. please see the lines quoted by me. in the song. Such a foray does not occur in neelaambari. This will be more useful input if posted either in n.c.vasanthakokilam thread or in ragas-> neelAmbari or tilang.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@38-> intellecterati.....is the word to search for.
----------------------------------------------------------
How avidly Google is following rasikas!.
try the search word 'intellecteratti ' and see!

ratanabhinav

Post by ratanabhinav »

Sri . shankarank's writing reminds me of Finnegan's Wake , a novel by James Joyce , known as the most difficult work of fiction to read and understand in the “ English ” language . There’s a reason for those quotation marks— in most places Joyce just made stuff up, including the language he used to write the novel . It's full of neologisms, puns using neologisms, ancient slang, and portmanteau words .
Here's the link
http://www.trentu.ca/faculty/jjoyce/fw-3.htm

RSR

Post by RSR »

@40-> Have n't had the painful privilege of reading the work mentioned by you. ..but am familiar with 'stream of consciousness'.....'Ulysses'. voluminous tome.. Had a trying time.. long back. and read it religiously as it was famous and wondered how he got Nobel Prize. . but perhaps the committee knew better. Glad that we have some meeting ground.......One of the most erudite and famous musicians of the Golden era , is said to have been a fan of D.H.Lawrence! ( as told by Randor Guy).......... Are not 'benevolent dictators' like Asoka ( pet aversion to some) , better than anarchy of mobocracy? left ,right,center?

ratanabhinav

Post by ratanabhinav »

RSR wrote: 13 Feb 2018, 20:27 One of the most erudite and famous musicians of the Golden era , is said to have been a fan of D.H.Lawrence! ( as told by Randor Guy).......... Are not 'benevolent dictators' like Asoka ( pet aversion to some) , better than anarchy of mobocracy? left ,right,center?
I'm glad too !
Musiri uh ? Or MMI ?
Yes , but democracy and the realm of free expression is a lot better than that .
I'm centrist .

RSR

Post by RSR »

@32-> there is no such word in tamil. perhaps because there are no such people here who combine all the 'lovable' characteristics. (" people with a tendency for self promotion, bragging, jumping around, throwing comments at people and things, showing off, being unbearable, seeking forums and groups of similar obnoxious people.
And the Intellect presumed or actual is the weapon of choice.")....Save a few epithets for future use. Having a store of 'inexhaustible invectives?"
==========================
Sachi can help in my query posted today, in ragas section.
======================
@42-> Musiri. May be he liked the style rather than the content. MMI was more interested in News . A GEM .

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

RSR wrote: 14 Feb 2018, 17:11 @32-> there is no such word in tamil.
Second time somebody says that after the word "nOTTu" in another thread. Yes there is no "nOTTu" in tamizh, but it has now two meanings when used as : "nOTTulEtAn music irukkudA?" It means "is music only in a note?" - as in music note and "is music only in the note(book)?" as in notations!

You see on SivarAthri day ( I am somewhat late there!), I bettered Sri Sankara Sivam on "silEDai" (Homonyms ) - who asked - quoting TNS from harikatha - "enna tambi irukkumbOdE lEttA?" - meaning "what brother, are you late while living?" as the "Late" prefix is for people who are - you know what.

Only tamizh can do that to English!

Now I am also bettering Vairamuttu on quoting - yeah I am only quoting!!!

That is my brag for the day! I will save you some emoticons as I feel the words have enough force!

RSR

Post by RSR »

@44-> 'eratti'....is the word I said is not found in tamil. unless it is taken as 'irattai' ( sledai..double meaning-pun). Why such bitterness in a thread supposed to greet one more year of the forum?

arasi

Post by arasi »

I wanted to join in--even sing its praise in verse. Must have had the wrong address--no cheering came from within. So, I retreated.
Still, I thank heavens for my friends and acquaintances here :)