TMK goes to Church

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
sureshvv

Re: TMK goes to Church

Post by sureshvv »

Language please! You surely are capable of expressing yourself without resorting to expletives.

Yajmir

Post by Yajmir »

sureshvv wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 21:55 Language please! You surely are capable of expressing yourself without resorting to expletives.
Whatever....Stupidity of Indians knows no bound. This is what happens when you cede the study of your own culture, language and religion to white foreigners. White worshiping Indians will swallow everything white people say. Indians are insecure dolts whose whole self worth lies in what white people have to say about them.

Yajmir

Post by Yajmir »

The more I converse with Indians online, the more it infuriates me. They have no self respect at all. Yet, when a white guy/girl says something about India, they go "Proud to be Indian". Muslims making Indians dhimmi for 1000 years, then the onslaught of the Britishers have <REDACTED> with the minds of Indians. I hope Indians get cured of this disease quickly. The more I read the <REDACTED> of brown-sahibs here on this forum the more angry I get. So, I am out. Good day. I would rather listen to music then converse with Indians online and get angry all the time.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Yajmir, the kind of language you used is totally unacceptable. Especially when addressing our fellow members. Disagree respectfully.
I have redacted the offensive parts while trying to keep the essence of your post.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Yajmir wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 22:02
sureshvv wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 21:55 Language please! You surely are capable of expressing yourself without resorting to expletives.
Whatever....Stupidity of Indians knows no bound.
As opposed to the wisdom of popping up in a civil forum, using foul language and trashing an entire population of 1.5 billion people?

RSR

Post by RSR »

The debate is not about the nature of 'Hinduism'. It is about TMK's laudable effort to take CM to the people of other religions. Who is a 'Hindu'? Difficult to give precise answer. ..Perhaps, any one who does not declare himself to be a Christian or Muslim or Sikh. It is merely an accident of birth. Even brahmins have their own 'kula deivam'. However, latter-day brahmins have created a unified picture of Hinduism, based not on dharmas saastras but on epics and puranas. ( as early as the period of Gupta empire ..300 AD- 600 SD.) It was not a dark age. Sanskrit was the language of the intelligentsia of the entire country with the possible exception of far south. It was the Golden period in Indian history after that of Asoka. Tribal gods and goddesses abound and still survive and are remembered in interior villages. At a lower level, we perceive differences only. But at a higher level, we perceive the unity. 'ulakam enpathu uyarnthor maatte'... when judhging the ideology of a society, we go by the perception of its leading intellectuals and scholars.' and that unity cannot be and was not ,confined to our native religion alone but to all religious thinking. worldwide. It is like the procedure adopted in scientific research and hypothesis. Ramakrishna Paramahamsa had personally tried the religious practices of all religions and asserted the essential truth of all. Thus, Indian religion is at once hugely polytheistic and yet monotheistic and monist as well. We cannot talk of admiring CM in abstract. We always associate some singer, song, ragam, tune and from that arrive at general appreciation. . The concept of unity is as old as Upanishads and Gita. What is there borrowed from foreigners? Our civilization like that of Levant, Egypt and China is 5000 years old. where as Christianity is just 2000 years old and Islam about 1300 years old.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

yes: modern upstarts. Although Judaism is ancient.
It is about TMK's laudable effort to take CM to the people of other religions
Why is it laudable? Anyone who wants carnatic music can have it. It isn't locked away. In this country, all they need to do is to turn on the radio at the right time of day.

I don't mean this to sound aggressive, and I do believe in widening the horizons of carnatic music, but... while the majority of foreign tourists passing through Chennai in December don't even know about carnatic music, let alone our Season, somehow I can't imagine that the christian population of Chennai is so ignorant of it. Like, "Oh, never realised this exists, and actually it sounds quite nice!" Maybe I have this all all wrong, and maybe that is the intention and perhaps, for a few, the result. Well, fair enough if it is.

Something else occurs to me... If TMK is really sincere about that, then why not send his students to sing in the churches. Regularly. Not just one headline-grabbing event, but quiet and consistent work. Perhaps it happens, but I don't know about it because it doesn't grab headlines*.

My writing style is a bit assertive: I'm not really meaning this to be assertive at all, more a mulling over of these things.

By the way... I was visiting someone in the christian heartlands of St Thomas Mount on Saturday. Judging by the awful pseudo-pop rubbish blaring from the next-door house, I'm pretty sure that they would be no more interested in carnatic than they would be in Beethoven. Or... even half-decent rock music! When it comes to Christian music, the devil won the battle! :twisted: :(. Minds full of that stuff are probably beyond "saving." But missionary-TMK can try, I suppose.

(Religion is not of the essence of this: I would have said the same of the Brits that I grew up who's minds were unable to expand beyond the "top-ten" of the day into intelligent rock or even folk, let alone classical**. However, since it became trendy for churches there and elsewhere to leave aside their own quality-music history for keyboard/guitar/drum-machine piffle, the church has certainly had a hand in lowering the musical-intelligence bar)

(I think they don't have this "problem" in Kerala? Sure, the music in the churches is the same "god-awful" ;) rubbish (I've been to weddings there), but I think christian students of carnatic music are not uncommon?)

* If future generations of Brits are a little more aware of Indian-music-beyond-Ravi-Shankar, it will because of the five-minute school-assembly slots given to South-Asian-origin kids to show off their singing/dancing/veena/etc.

**We return to the bottom line that serious music or art of any kind is for serious people and is necessarily a minority pursuit. Don't blame the composers/artists/performers: the people make the choice.

RSR

Post by RSR »

Nick H wrote:
Although Judaism is ancient.

"Our civilization like that of Levant, Egypt and China is 5000 years old. where as Christianity is just 2000 years old and Islam about 1300 years old. "
"The term Levant is also used for modern events, peoples, states or parts of states in the same region, namely Cyprus, Egypt, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine, Syria, and Turkey are sometimes considered Levant countries (compare with Near East, Middle East, Eastern Mediterranean and Western Asia)....". So, it covers Judaism also.
------------------------------------------------------
Whether we like it or not, TMK is well-known among the younger generation. and it is a good thing that he acts as the cultural 'ambassador' of CM to the interior areas in Tamil country. All the thousands of colleges and schools in Tamilnad ( there are more than 500 Engg colleges) have an Arts and Literary club. and they conduct annual festivals. TMK because of his international recognition, may be welcome guest there and we can only pray that he uses that fame to good purpose. Some such attempt is better than concentrating on Chennai alone.
Ofcourse, any one sincerely interested in learning CM/HM can get basic knowledge through Radio and TV programs and also through thousands of qulaity uploads in youtube and many mp3 channels. But some one has to introduce the theme to the young minds. All of us study science in school and college but not all become Nobel Lauretes. The same logic can be extended to music sabahas also. When everyone almost is having smart phone and internet comnnection, who needs concert platform? I suppose, the experience is different. just like personal participation in a huge public meeting rather than listening to the speech in radio. Not arguing. Just thinking loud, as you do.
My understanding is that the quality of public awareness has gone down , universally! Technology has triumphed but the Arts appreciation has become of lower standard. We agree there.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

shankarank wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 20:53
Ranganayaki wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 13:02
Even setting aside the various philosophical traditions which emphasize only one supreme being.

In general in spite of the number of gods, "Hinduism" is monotheistic.
Why do we have to use borrowed language. What is this monotheistic? There are creation stories - but they are narratives. There is no one Supreme Being.
I thought about this a lot. My first reaction was what's wrong with monotheistic . What's your problem with English?

But may be you are right, and monotheism is not quite adequate to describe the absolute in Hinduism.

I was thinking of notions like "eka vAstu (vividha nama)," but monotheism, as far as I know implies attributes like omnipresence, omniscience etc., which are valid but do not capture the subtlety of ekavastu.

I meNt monotheistic in the sense of ekavastu, but I agree that it is an insufficient word to capture the nature of this philosophy.

I dont think that we should discuss this further. This discussion happened, but it is not the topic of this thread and I don't want to hijack it (while it is going well too).

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Yajmir wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 22:02 Whatever....Stupidity of Indians knows no bound. This is what happens when you cede the study of your own culture, language and religion to white foreigners. White worshiping Indians will swallow everything white people say. Indians are insecure dolts whose whole self worth lies in what white people have to say about them.
Yajmir, please read the forum rules - app.php/rules

This is a private forum and you need to follow the rules if you want to participate here productively.

We have banned other members who didnt know how to converse decently, and we will do so again if there is a need to.

Admin.

harimau

Post by harimau »

shankarank wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 01:35 .......
Now my co-worker is telling me, his sons don't know why people conduct all these rituals in the temple and side by side adding - Hindusim is the last remaining pagan religion!
Heathen or pagan?

I always ask my friends in the West of the Christian persuasion who has the better -- meaning, wilder -- parties, heathens or pagans?

The general consensus is pagans.

Though Christian missionaries coming to India referred to the natives as heathens, I believe we are pagans, what with the abundance of soma and sura beverages. :lol: :twisted: :lol:

harimau

Post by harimau »

Ranganayaki wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 23:33
harimau wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 23:11 :geek:

Anyone who religiously spouts historical untruths quoting The Hindu or Bandit Nehru should expect to get corrected.

By the way, the Dutch colonial administration banned conversion activities in Hindu Bali. Except for the influx of a small percentage of Muslims from other islands, Bali remains 93% Hindu.
You are welcome to your views, Harimau. But religious hatred is a recurring theme here and it is completely out of place. This is a forum for CM and not Hinduism. We have people of all religions here. At least they should all feel welcome, without exclusion. We cannot practice Hindu chauvinism. I want to enjoy being here and this is preventing it. I'm sure there are many like me. There are many chauvinists too, but the question is: what is Rasikas' policy? who do we want to be ? Only the moderator and others who created this forum should answer and honestly, I WANT an answer.

I have often enjoyed your writing and humor, Harimau. But this religious finger-pointing is so beneath you and all of us!

Don't draw conclusions about my views based on what I write. I try to stimulate people into thinking as opposed to spouting the BS they have learned from twisted history manufactured to suit the government.

There is something called "playing the Devil's Advocate" to force people to think along lines not sanctioned by the conventional discourse.

Indians are so afraid of that because they have been afraid for the last 1000 years of the powers that ruled the land.

After all, if Herman Kahn can write a book about thinking the unthinkable -- namely, nuclear war -- we can think the unthinkable too, even if it goes against conventional discourse.

And to think that here we are, discussing T M Krishna's Brahmin-bashing, but not allowed to bash anyone else!

One must have a sense of perspective to see the irony in the situation, something you guys and gals lack!

PS. On another thread in Members' Lounge which has been locked, someone asked me if I would support the Islamic call to prayer five times a day. Here is my answer:

Nine pm when Kapali temple idol is taken out in procession is generally not when people have gone to sleep. Even the Supreme Court has ruled that there should be no prayers on loudspeakers after 11 pm.

At 4:30 am when the first call to prayer comes from mosques, people are still sleeping. So it disturbs the majority of the people. If you insist, then follow the practice of 1300 years ago: no loudspeakers. The mullah can shout himself hoarse for all I care.

Another thing. If these guys want 3-talaq divorce, 4-wives at a time and all those things that go with it, are you in favor of it? How about marrying Muslim women off at age 9 to 56-year-old men? (Guess who did that!) Would you be in favor of that?

I am sure to hear deafening silence as your answer!

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

harimau wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 08:03
I am sure to hear deafening silence as your answer!
Two more possibilities. This thread getting locked too, or some BS in the name of secularism.

As an aside to others, as this forum supports democracy and freedom of speech, Why not we dissect the ilayaraja issue like we did The Andal issue to our Heart's content and then lock the thread concluding that it isn't going anywhere?

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

harimau wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 08:03 Don't draw conclusions about my views based on what I write. I try to stimulate people into thinking as opposed to spouting the BS they have learned from twisted history manufactured to suit the government.
Ridiculous. At least take responsibility for the views you spout.
And to think that here we are, discussing T M Krishna's Brahmin-bashing, but not allowed to bash anyone else!
To his credit, TMK has never descended to the vile depths that you do regularly.
At 4:30 am when the first call to prayer comes from mosques, people are still sleeping. So it disturbs the majority of the people. If you insist, then follow the practice of 1300 years ago: no loudspeakers. The mullah can shout himself hoarse for all I care.
Why don't you take some time to reflect and arrive at a policy enforceable irrespective of religion instead of approaching all issues with an "us vs them" mentality?
Another thing. If these guys want 3-talaq divorce, 4-wives at a time and all those things that go with it, are you in favor of it? How about marrying Muslim women off at age 9 to 56-year-old men? (Guess who did that!) Would you be in favor of that?
Of course not! Not everyone thinks only along narrow religious lines like you do.

harimau

Post by harimau »

sureshvv wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 09:48
harimau wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 08:03 And to think that here we are, discussing T M Krishna's Brahmin-bashing, but not allowed to bash anyone else!
To his credit, TMK has never descended to the vile depths that you do regularly.

.... blah blah blah

Why don't you take some time to reflect and arrive at a policy enforceable irrespective of religion instead of approaching all issues with an "us vs them" mentality?
This morning I was walking peaceably along suburban streets for my morning constitutional. I encountered a group of about 200 men and women carrying wooden crosses and singing softly as they made their way to a nearby church. I realized that this was because today is Good Friday.

Nobody accosted me to tell me I was a sinner if I didn't accept Jesus as my Redeemer. Nor did I tell them not to cause "noise pollution" by singing at about 6:30 am when people may still be asleep.

So I don't know if I am the one exhibiting "us-versus-them" mentality.

According to you and people like T M Krishna who seem to derive their thoughts from the indoctrination they have received from The Hindu, maybe I am still at fault for not "respecting minority rights" by sympathizing with their predicament at being forced to watch Hindu deities being taken out in procession. Maybe the majority could respect minority rights by shuttering their own temples and breaking their own idols as idol worship is offensive to those who follow Abrahamic religions.

Oh, the majority as well as the minority were inconvenienced greatly today as the buses were re-routed away from the Mylapore tank and those who wanted to go to the tank area because their homes or businesses may be there had to walk a few hundred meters.

Bad Hindus, bad Hindus!

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

sureshvv wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 09:48 Of course not! Not everyone thinks only along narrow religious lines.
Of course not.

That's why the US Embassy @ Chennai was recently stoned and vandalized by the peaceful community when one of the films that was released in the US had something to say about their religion. Whereas, when a popular actor in a Tamil film had raised questions about the need for building a Temple (alone) in place of an hospital, the ones who protested against that peacefully by telling his "Real" name were trolled.

That actor could have also added by questioning the need to build Mosques or Churches in addition to that Temple.. Of course that would be hurting the sentiments of them.

And the BS that we would get in reply to this would be, instead of a direct answer to this, so many temples are already in a dilapidated state :D

And in fear of many more uncomfortable truths coming out, in fear of hurting many sentiments, as a result of thinking along narrow religious lines, I wont be surprised if this thread too gets locked or my account getting banned :lol:

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUrcauWSPEo - we incorporated this in our bhajans due to the message it conveys.

arasi

Post by arasi »

VKR,
A breath of fresh air, thank you , and praNAms. Good that you remind others that all different religions emphasize oneness (unity). The young girls move us with their singing.
Semmu,
Good to hear from you too :)

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

So nice to know where Sri VKR stands 😊.

harimau

Post by harimau »

arasi wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 08:02 VKR,
A breath of fresh air, thank you , and praNAms. Good that you remind others that all different religions emphasize oneness (unity). The young girls move us with their singing.
Didn't understand a word of what they were singing. Will accept your word that the lyrics remind us that all religions emphasize oneness.

The question is: oneness of what?

The Abrahamic religions emphasize oneness of God, and each one of them claim to have the one real God.

In the 19th century, certain Hindus became so enamored of this concept -- and wanted to feel accepted by the British overlords -- that they started sects like Brahmo Samaj. The net result can be seen in Bengal today: Last year I attended a reception for the upanayanam of two Bengali youngsters. There were separate counters for vegetarian and non-vegetarian food (Bengalis historically used to eat seafood) but by now Bengalis have become so servile to "modern thought" that they were serving mutton and beef too! Beef, at an upanayanam!

We can have oneness of God in Hinduism too. Except that the more numerous Iyers would demand the demolition of Perumal temples and the even more numerous Maravans would eliminate Siva too and anoint Small-Pox (Mariamman) as the One True Goddess. :roll: :twisted: :evil:

With Small-Pox as the official Goddess of the Hindus, we will have to stop vaccinations, take out from storage the remaining stock of the small-pox virus, grow them by the trillions in laboratories and spread them throughout India. We can then also engage in proselytization by spreading the virus among non-believers all over the world!

Hey, not a bad idea! Except that I would miss the sweet pongal of the Perumal temples. :lol:
Last edited by harimau on 01 Apr 2018, 08:33, edited 1 time in total.

harimau

Post by harimau »

Ranganayaki wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 08:04 So nice to know where Sri VKR stands 😊.
Among the Politically Correct!

sankark

Post by sankark »

harimau wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 08:31
arasi wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 08:02 VKR,
We can have oneness of God in Hinduism too. Except that the more numerous Iyers would demand the demolition of Perumal temples
I think you are employing some exaggeration there for a shock effect as per your modus operandi; smArtAs aren't against perumAL temples; vishNu/nArAyaNAn is very much part of the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panchayatana_puja and they also go to srIrangam/tirupati/thiruvallikkeni and any number of other perumAl temples; in fact Acamanam is with achutan ananthan gOvindan succeeded by 12 names typically associated with vishNu/nArAyanan.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

I did grahapravesam in a christian home and I remember majority christians in a Bank demanding for and attendingr GaNapathi Homam due to infighting among employees.