Sooryagayathri: Darling of the online rasikas

Carnatic Musicians

HarishankarK

Re: Sooryagayathri: Darling of the online rasikas

Post by HarishankarK »

No doubt the child sings well - but looks like she is into devotional music and not carnatic.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Kruthi Bhatt is one of the youngsters to watch out for carnatic music

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

HarishankarK wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 05:12

No doubt the child sings well - but looks like she is into devotional music and not carnatic.
Most of Carnatic music is devotional and Suryagayathri's songs are pristine in their musical quality. Her raga bhava is exquisite!

I don't question her track any more. Her musical goals are different, but aren't they valid, nonetheless?

And you never know, there could be cm concerts in her future!

newid

Post by newid »

HarishankarK wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 05:13 Kruthi Bhatt is one of the youngsters to watch out for carnatic music
I had no idea! Kruthi Bhat is fantastic! (Check YouTube, she is special, indeed).

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Yes Kruthi is very good.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Ranganayaki wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 08:17.
Her musical goals are different, but aren't they valid, nonetheless?
Not sure if those are her goals -she started out v young, I think.
From my experience those who are into devotional music usually don't sing mainstream carnatic concerts- Visakha Hari / O S Arun are exceptions but don't think their carnatic music is as popular as bhajans/katha.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Folks, don't pass premature judgements especially when it comes to children. They have a whole life ahead of them.

Don't go by success rate etc. the success rate for the overall population is vanishingly small of course and the success rate of those who have great potential to make it big is minuscule as well.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

VK, I'm confused about your post. I don't know if what I've said here is disrespectful of childhood. My apologies, if I have. I was actually speaking of not judging, of opening my mind to her chosen track, and I was leaving the question of her future (options) open. Yes, whatever judgement I made about her musical offerings was completely positive and richly deserved and, I believe, it would be welcome.

Please let me know what I've said wrong.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Ranganayaki, it was not about the points you made, in fact I was in sync with what you were writing.

I was reacting to the thoughts of HarishankarK, not in a critical way. I relate very much to what HarishankarK is saying but to point out it is not easy to know a priori the path such talented kids will take. As they say in investing, 'past results are no indicator of future results' especially when we are talking about a success rate that is so miniscule. Not that there is anything wrong with choosing a path of katha or bhajan that is in any way inferior to a mainstream carnatic music career. For her it is the journey. In the Youtube age, it is there for us as rasikas to observe that all.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Thanks, VK..

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

I agree with your thoughts Vasantakokilam.
Anything can happen at any time - Aruna Sairam has become famous only in her middle age.
I only mean't to state that there are no videos of Soooryagayatri singing any carnatic songs on YT even though her Guru is carnatic singer - so maybe she is into bhajanai types. Her light bindumalini Kabir das bhajan is really good though.
So we cannot compare with MSS becuase MSS Started as a core carnatic musician. But she sang in films and still her music remained pure. You are right - we can never tell what's in the future.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Regarding the whole child prodigy thing, virtually every great name in the field started out as one at some point - it's just that back in those days as LGJ said once - if they saw that a child had talent, they just got them to train and work and didn't shower them with praise all that much. It was always too early to tell.

Sooryagayathri is one of my favourite child artistes to listen to - she works very hard, has made quite an impact, has amazing perfection, excellent pronunciation and so much potential. However the real challenge for any child prodigy will be to stick it out in the long run without letting it impact them in other areas of life as well.

Once they get a few years older, all of a sudden that halo effect vanishes, the praise comes down, criticism goes up - what was prodigious as a child becomes expected usual stuff as an adult. Prodigies peak young and non-prodigies will catch 'em at least in stage performance metrics in the long run with hard work. However many prodigies off the stage are very clearly in another league in terms of raw ability. Not to mention all the responsibilities that come with an adult.

And this - as an adult their success will make some people jealous and bitter - these will become a few nasty cases to deal with. They have to learn to shrug it off - the overwhelming majority will love them.

None of this should stop her or any other special talent from pursuing her dreams though. The child sings beautifully.

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

vasanthakokilam wrote: 07 Mar 2018, 09:37 Ranganayaki, it was not about the points you made, in fact I was in sync with what you were writing.

I was reacting to the thoughts of HarishankarK, not in a critical way. I relate very much to what HarishankarK is saying but to point out it is not easy to know a priori the path such talented kids will take. As they say in investing, 'past results are no indicator of future results' especially when we are talking about a success rate that is so miniscule. Not that there is anything wrong with choosing a path of katha or bhajan that is in any way inferior to a mainstream carnatic music career. For her it is the journey. In the Youtube age, it is there for us as rasikas to observe that all.
VK! Your balanced and sensible post confirms my impression about you which i formed several years ago. Very happy you remain the same. Kudos!

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

vasanthakokilam wrote: 07 Mar 2018, 09:37 Ranganayaki, it was not about the points you made, in fact I was in sync with what you were writing.

VK! Your balanced and sensible post confirms my impression about you which i formed several years ago. Very happy you remain the same. Kudos!

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

A new video -- she has gained a lot of maturity in her singing now - https://www.facebook.com/sooryagayathri ... 790553344/

No doubt, these kids are just as good in live performance as they are in the studio.

RasikasModerator2

Post by RasikasModerator2 »

This should be in the musicians section from now on.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

This came out not long ago, and it's my all time favourite : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcSBPkUxOJE -- if anyone had any doubt, this would tell you that she is mature well above her years. From her few live videos of her most recent performances her level of gamaka perfection is noteworthy.

In fact it is astonishing.

Those lightning brigha flashes for example, are just like those of her favourite singer (who else?). Jo Achyutananda is not an easy song to sing, technically or musically - it is an astonishing and unique tune by Kadayanallur Venkataraman (well, all his tunes are, but to present kApi like this...) - and it was definitely meant to make full use of MS Amma's vocal capabilities.

There's something else about her as well - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBsW_vXyEdY -- what kind of 11 year old in this day and age spends an entire year to practice and render the Vishnu Sahasranamam like this?
Last edited by SrinathK on 12 May 2019, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Sooryagayathri

Post by rajeshnat »

SrinathK wrote: 11 May 2019, 22:35 This came out not long ago, and it's my all time favourite : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcSBPkUxOJE -- if anyone had any doubt, this would tell you that she is mature well above her years. From her few live videos of her most recent performances her level of gamaka perfection is noteworthy.
Srinathk
How can any kid or even 80 plus year old sleep with such a rendition of jo achutanandA jo jo mukunda. Arasi and sundararajan sir you both can try in the next few days and report to us if you are getting sleep with this lovely rendition , or do you think let me play once more and then sleep.

Not to take even a bit of credit away from sooryagayathri , her Guru Kuldeep Pai has taken extraordinary care , not just to teach but more importantly to understand all the million aural knobs of a sound mixer kudos to all of them .I have personally only heard Kuldeep pai just for fourth quarter of his afternoon slot once in chennai when Mannargudi easwaran played , kuldeep pAi being a sound SOUND engineer comes out so well with his sishyas. Also kuldeep has learnt mrudangam apart from vocal , the richness of all of vocal , mrudagam rhythm and sound mixing is indeed getting adequately showcased with his sishyas starting with sooryagayathri . Thank you also for the young kids vishnu sahasranamam