What are your thoughts on Sanjay Subrahmanyan?

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
Yajmir

What are your thoughts on Sanjay Subrahmanyan?

Post by Yajmir »

I wrote in this forum sometime back about trying to get into Carnatic music. As I have listened to various artists, one that has stood out to me, even when comparing to previous generation artists is Sanjay Subrahmanyan. I thinks he is consistently great and is the best Carnatic singer no matter the era. How is he seen in India? I think he has the potential to bring Carnatic music, even to people who aren't generally fan of Carnatic music.

Sachi_R

Re: What are your thoughts on Sanjay Subrahmanyan?

Post by Sachi_R »

How is he seen in India?

Sanjay is the superstar, rock star, and match winner in Carnatic music. He has a HUGE fan base. He has repertoire and executes with elan. He confines himself to performing Carnatic music in the way only he can.
Purists may fault his Sruti alignment. Some may object to his hand gestures. Some may prefer some other famous singer/s. But he is always there. Always delivering.
For people like me he has created a new benchmark for anyone who wants to be at the top of this game called Carnatic Vocal music. Especially men.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

He is authentic. He is focused. His voice is not his forte compared to a few other front-ranking vocalists.
He plans what to sing way ahead of the event and has a formula, many composers, Tamizh songs, some new raga, some new song, RTP in all concerts of over 2 hrs, etc. within the ARI format which he follows with a vengeance as if to prove that the format is not the villain for creativity.
He has balance and proportion and reads the pulse of the audience. There is never a dull moment in his concerts.
While he has a large following, he has perhaps the most number of adverse critics from musicians as well as gnanasthas.
For the most part he avoids joining any public debate and confines to singing, reading, watching and twittering on cricket, board games, appreciation of art (like painting) and family and friends.
He mixes freely with his rasikas without airs.
Any label whether he is the great now or for ever will be subjective and even irrelevant. That he has won for CM hundreds of new rasikas is for fact.

arasi

Post by arasi »

A man for all seasons, for all reasons...

An artiste without bounds, but well within
When it comes to traditional wisdom--

Curious, constantly searching old songs
And rAgAs--working tirelessly on them--

Serious but jovial, bright as he can be,
Bringing out the best in his accompanists

This artiste who's not a frog in the well
Spreads wings, soars to survey the world

In expressing lyric and rAga bhAvA-s
He's tops, not to be toppled, finicky folks!
Last edited by arasi on 05 Mar 2018, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

If this is your feeble attempt to get back in good steed with the folks here after your impetuous tantrums elsewhere in these fora, let me just tell you, it may be working! :D

arasi

Post by arasi »

S&N,
After seeing your post and Like, I searched and got an idea about the topic starter's opinion about CM :(
But my verses speak for many of us here and elsewhere :) It's relevant anywhere, darn it!

Topic starter, before you start another thread...:(

harimau

Post by harimau »

A man of our times, providing the Music of our times.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

I recently read a tweet by SS that he traces his music to a combination of GNB and Ramnad Krishnan. Those two were his childhood heroes and profoundly influenced by their music early on.