Sangeetha Kalanidhi 2018

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
rbharath

Re: Sangeetha Kalanidhi 2018

Post by rbharath »

hnbhagavan wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 03:17 Even if a Vidwan/Vidushi has been conferred Sangeetha Kala Charya,will he/she be considered for Sangitha Kalanidhi?
It is unlikely. Suguna Mami has been conferred Sangita Kala Acarya if i remember.
Acharyas are not given kalanidhi.

My gut feeling is kalanidhi for this year could be, haridwaramangalam Sri Palanivel.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

rbharath wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 09:35 My gut feeling is kalanidhi for this year could be, haridwaramangalam Sri Palanivel.
Many years back you said my gut feel for this year would be AKC Natarajan in this forum and he got it which ever year that was . Now with your post bharath i wil move him to the top of the list , without your post i was thinking some other two . bharath is usually right, any way we we will wait. When is the expected SK announcement ?

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Third week of July.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

rbharath wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 09:35
TKG who was awarded SKAcharya got SK during a subsequent year, IIRC.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Sivaramakrishnan wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 08:00
not true srk. check this url https://musicacademymadras.in/awards/sa ... la-acharya

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

Sivaramakrishnan wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 08:00
Sir,
Vidwans are either given Kalanidhi or Kala acharya. Once a person gets one of these awards, they are already part of the expert committee. Once an expert committee member, he/she is not considered for any other award. Sri Vinayakaram is the first person from the expert committee to be given another award from the Academy, which is the the life time achievement award. I have heard office bearers of the academy comment that edhavadhu oru award kudutha innonnu edhukku. And acharya is given for senior artists who deserve a kalanidhi, but, would not make the cut to reach there, for whatever reason.
regards
bharath

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

rajeshnat wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 19:10
rbharath wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 09:35 My gut feeling is kalanidhi for this year could be, haridwaramangalam Sri Palanivel.
Many years back you said my gut feel for this year would be AKC Natarajan in this forum and he got it which ever year that was . Now with your post bharath i wil move him to the top of the list , without your post i was thinking some other two . bharath is usually right, any way we we will wait. When is the expected SK announcement ?
one isnt so much of a clairvoyant Rajesh. pls dont say all this.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Last couple of years- A Kanyakumaari and Ravikiran.

It will mostly be a Vocal Vidwan/Vidushi.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Bharath,
Clairvoyant or not, it's good to hear from you :)
Would like to have more news about you, so please send me mail, if you will...

mahesu

Post by mahesu »

Kadri ?

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

gajaa

Post by gajaa »

Aruna Sairam it is!
Announced by V Sriram in Twitter!

gajaa

Post by gajaa »

#MusicAcademyMadras announces its awards for December Music Season 2018

Sangita Kalanidhi - Aruna Sairam
Sangita Kala Acharya - Thanjavur Ramadas & K Omanakutty
TTK Award - Kalyani Ganesan & SRG Rajanna
Musicologist - Dr Premeela Gurumurthy
Nrtya Kalanidhi - Shanta Dhananjayan

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Re-quoting this...that day when Sanjay got it was unforgettable. :lol:

I can see the tiger triumvirate sharpening their claws, polishing their teeth, checking those canines, preparing the bombs and bullets, cleaning that tup-tup machine gun for battle, working up the rage, searching for the snake catcher, stocking up on venom, rehearsing their roars, practicing the hunting moves they will use on the cows of their designated 'cowherdess'... will the aging maneaters get enough inspiration to get fit and peak for one more proper hunt? And will they ally with their porcine competitors against a common foe? :mrgreen:

Stay tuned for the fireworks on the Sangeetha Kalanidhi 2018 thread... brought to you by rasikas.org

And congratulations to the awardees!

PS : Tigers & porcines, you're late!
Last edited by SrinathK on 15 Jul 2018, 12:34, edited 2 times in total.

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

Congratulations to the awardees !

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

How many are unhappy about choice ?

Expect the unexpected...

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

My wife is pleased.

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

pattamaa wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 12:59 How many are unhappy about choice ?

Expect the unexpected...
Populism takes over classism.
That is the order of the day!

So can’t expect much 😂😂😂

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

Artists like MMI, MS , maha. Santhanam were also popular.... Not sure why so much resistance in.this case :))

shankarabharanam

Post by shankarabharanam »

pattamaa wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 14:13 Artists like MMI, MS , maha. Santhanam were also popular.... Not sure why so much resistance in.this case :))
Comparing her to these legends is ridiculous. Academy has lost my respect. Magudis need to be there for the inauguration

Madras-Talkies

Post by Madras-Talkies »

There is no down side to this!

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

A comparison must not be stretched. If 'being popular' is a disqualification for SK, then there have been others who were popular and got it. Populism is different. Singing a folk song or Oothukkadu song as a tukkada cannot be populist. Many SKs have done it. The criteria must be whether the singer is adhering to the classical canons in the main items offered.

shriroop

Post by shriroop »

It is official. Sent Aruna Sairam is Sangeetha Kalanidhi 2018. Hearty congratulations on Sangeetha.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

A nice set of choices I would say.

What makes me rather happy and is personally rather surprising is the choice for the other awards. While I do think it is good and appreciate the choice of Smt. Aruna Sairam for kalanidhi. It is really good to see the names for all the awards. Very nice choice I would say.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

arasi wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 07:31 Bharath,
Clairvoyant or not, it's good to hear from you :)
Would like to have more news about you, so please send me mail, if you will...
So nice to see your post.
Sure. I will send you an email soon.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

rajeshnat wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 19:10
One isn't lucky always Rajesh. :D

harimau

Post by harimau »

gajaa wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 12:04 Aruna Sairam it is!
Announced by V Sriram in Twitter!
Scooped you by almost 4 hours! :lol:

arunsri

Post by arunsri »

Music Academy --- whose credibility was always questionable has hit a new low. Guess, it cannot get worse... :oops: :?:

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

shankarabharanam wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 14:26
pattamaa wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 14:13 Artists like MMI, MS , maha. Santhanam were also popular.... Not sure why so much resistance in.this case :))
Comparing her to these legends is ridiculous. Academy has lost my respect. Magudis need to be there for the inauguration
Like these people : https://youtu.be/WjpdOZ_3g3E?t=94 8-) or this one : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-KoS15mZRY

or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXAps6ovAMU

The singular achievement of our education system which culminated with that NITWIT T.M Krishna as spokesperson, along with Judges, bureaucrats , journalists and their ilk come out in full force in your comments.

It is this crowd that needs driven out of music academy , along with fake musicologists. We need raiders like Smt. AruNa Sairam. More power to her!!!

You are a sellout and by using the word magudi disparagingly, you are worthless pawn in the hands of sub-altern theory peddlers!

shankarabharanam

At least people like TMK know what he sings. This woman has nothing to her credit. Can’t imagine her photo hanging with other stalwarts. And what more you would have a genius like RK proposing her name 🙄

harimau

Post by harimau »

shankarabharanam wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 22:51 At least people like TMK know what he sings. This woman has nothing to her credit. Can’t imagine her photo hanging with other stalwarts. And what more you would have a genius like RK proposing her name 🙄
They could do a duet of the Snake Dance Song! :lol: :lol: :lol:

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

shankarabharanam wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 22:51 At least people like TMK know what he sings.
What he sings is the gift of sampradAya - which he refers to as baggage. What he speaks is the gift of subverted Indian education and narratives - the real baggage!!

shankarabharanam

I don’t agree to his views sir. In fact it has been more than seven years since I attended his live concert. Whatever I hear few pieces is from
YouTube sometimes. But at least he isn’t a guy who doesn’t how to sing compared to the snake dancer (also the theatrics on stage).

One may agree or disagree but SK does have it share of glory. It’s almost like an angeegaram for your vidwat. I know an artist shouldn’t be measured by an award, by that standard Lalgudi was above it or even MDR. But adding your name to the likes of masters requires some responsibility from the committee. So this means anything can be bought. I have never vented in this forum against any performing musician. But today I just couldn’t hold on to myself. I knew snake charmer was pulling strings but was expecting the expert committee to stand up against it but one can only have hopes in life

arasi

eRe: Sangeetha Kalanidhi y. 2018

Post by arasi »

Take a deep breath, everyone...
MA will go on, 'with rasikas' love/hate relationship of it.
Enough of TMK bashing. It's sapping our energy.

May women be respected on Rasikas.org always, and let us not, in the name of musical appreciation belittle musicians. Fine-tuned listening doesn't warrant violent outbursts about artistes who possess dignity.
Bear with 'bad' choices if you deem them to be, and wait for the good/bad choice in the year to come.

Congratulations to a woman who persisted, and made it in the music world...Viva Aruna :)

shankarabharanam

I knew this was coming arasiji 😬.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

shankarabharanam wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 23:14 I don’t agree to his views sir. In fact it has been more than seven years since I attended his live concert.
When did you last hear Smt. Aruna Sairam??
shankarabharanam wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 23:14 But adding your name to the likes of masters requires some responsibility from the committee. So this means anything can be bought.
You cannot disparage countless fans that listen to her and fill the halls in one go. There is no way to claim that their experience of music is false. Their ignorance or level of knowledge is irrelevant.

if a musical system demands that listeners know something - that is a sham!!

The committee , figuratively speaking - assuming they represent a body of knowledge and attitude of many past "tradionalists" who sought to define it, have themselves gone egregiously wrong before this. And that goes back very many decades. And I consider the omission of this or that musician in the past as inconsequential and at the bottom of the list or excluded in my complaint.

My point is about the substance of what is the nature of our tradition and the debates that have been had. So this choice, even if not acceptable to you, does not affect the state of things. It may help the musical scene somewhat.

There are bigger issues. Selecting a musician for presiding over the yearly celebration, is a requirement for carrying on the conversation that's it.

Aruna Sairam is not getting some extra angeekaram that she already does not have.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

For Aruna, voice was her problem, not vidwat. To say that she is not classicist is to cast aspersion on Smt. Brinda.
Whether there were not others who counted above her is the issue.

shankarabharanam

I have listened to AS before she settled in Chennai. She comes from my city. And those who follow Brindamma bani can vouch she is nowhere close to it today. I don’t want to open a Pandora’s box to talk about her vidwat. I have never had issues with musicians having voice issues because that is something not in their hands on any given day. For that matter a vidwan like Sanjay isn’t gifted with a great voice but his vidwat can’t be questioned.

I attended a concert of AS at Academy and honestly I was forced to by a friend. The theatrics and the way she sang saveri that day I pitied the accompanists on stage. And again in Cleveland where I witnessed a concert, she made a mockery of that trinity pallavi. Give me a break. And yes the Cleveland concert was in 2017

I might not be old enough like many in the forum but have been a vainika since I was eight years and learnt for almost fifteen years in Mumbai before moving to a different city.

I just have to say it is indeed a wrong decision and one has to live with it. As arasiji says, a deep breath and I continue to listen to wonderful concert by DKP in my dock.
Last edited by shankarabharanam on 16 Jul 2018, 09:13, edited 1 time in total.

iamsundar

Post by iamsundar »

First off, Congratulations to AS for the Nobel.

There are instances where the Academy honors itself while conferring the Title and there are instances where it’s the Artist who is honored. This year it’s probably the latter, I reconcile…

Academy’s reasoning in the announcement was equally puzzling (“credited with taking the art to a very wide audience..”). Is that the primary rationale or support argument MA could come up with?

I squared my own heart burn this way… It’s not that AS isn’t deserving, it’s just that there are scores of Maha Vidwans who were perhaps more deserving this year.

Anyways, I’m sure the Academy will get back to honoring itself in 2019 & beyond.

Sundar.

shankarabharanam

Just adding to my post.. no wonder they announced the life time achievement award first. It looks like a consolation prize to all rasikas or if I may put it, there is something that we did that won’t go well and hence let us give the good gift first 😜

iamsundar

Post by iamsundar »

Very likely, Shanakarabharanam. The "consolation prize" theory has legs ;)

Roughly one-half of an AS concert are just Thukadas, isn't? May be, one should re-christen the Title to Thukada-Sangeetha Kalanidhi ;)

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

Regardless of whether this person deserves the award or not, I question the choice ahead of more deserving senior artists as O.S. Thyagarajan and others .

iamsundar

Post by iamsundar »

Exactly. Maha Vidwans like OST, Guruvayoor Dorai,.. they are in another league.

If evangelism or popularity of scores is a primary measure, why not K. Somu (of Veeramani Somu fame)? Somu's original scores (such as Pallikattu Sabarimalaiku, Chellatha,..) created the Ayyappa Bhakthi movement worldwide - which is no ordinary feat. However, when it comes to SK - silliness of this argument is self-evident, which is why Academy's reasoning in the announcement was puzzling to some.

sankark

Post by sankark »

I have no dog in this entire SK hullabaloo. It is an annual thamAshA. Neither do the conferees suddenly become kalAnidhis nor does the non-conferred become nincompoop.
shankarabharanam wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 09:08 I have listened to AS before she settled in Chennai. She comes from my city. And those who follow Brindamma bani can vouch she is nowhere close to it today. I don’t want to open a Pandora’s box to talk about her vidwat. I have never had issues with musicians having voice issues because that is something not in their hands on any given day. For that matter a vidwan like Sanjay isn’t gifted with a great voice but his vidwat can’t be questioned.
Its your yardstick s'bharanam (and many others) - AS doesn't have something which SS has aplenty. Just for a moment think that there cuold be folks with the opposite view for whom two years ago would be an aberration. Gasp! What if others are right?

Going by TBrinda's reported reputation for no nonsense & acerbic character, AS wouldn't have made into the threshold of TB's house as a student if TB didn't think AS had some genuine potential & base musical vidwat/sensibility. Something worth pondering over perhaps?
Last edited by sankark on 16 Jul 2018, 11:59, edited 1 time in total.

iamsundar

Post by iamsundar »

This line of reasoning (that Brinda accepted AS as a student; therefore AS is SK worthy) is flawed seventy two different ways ;)

Shankarabharanam's views are perhaps isolated (in questioning AS's base credentials), but many of us join Sundara Rajan in pondering - Is AS the most eligible Maha Vidwan this year? That's all.

shankarabharanam

I think more than Brindamma her skills were honed by her mother and sri Ramachandran sir, a teacher and vidwan of very high repute from Mumbai. It was Ramachandran sir who introduced the family to T Brinda. Just because someone took pains to get audience shouldn’t be a yardstick for SK.

I know she is an open throated singer and have heard her in pandals in Mumbai before she became a abhang performer for the Chennai audience. I think there are enough deserving vidwans who have contributed more to the art form than just her who in my opinion hasn’t done justice to her so called musical lineage

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

I said as much that there were others who were more deserving. It is not necessary to question her credentials which have not been mean. While Sanjay is found acceptable in this thread, all sorts of uncharitable things were written when he was chosen because someone to their like was not chosen. There are two different things, comparative merit and individual merit. I do not think that AS has no individual merit. If some of her concerts are off colour that too in 2017, that is understandable. I am a ‘good, not good’ type of Rasika (TMK classification) and on this basis, I am not a rasika of AS, but that is no reason to doubt her credentials.

SabashBale

Post by SabashBale »

harimau wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 22:55
shankarabharanam wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 22:51 At least people like TMK know what he sings. This woman has nothing to her credit. Can’t imagine her photo hanging with other stalwarts. And what more you would have a genius like RK proposing her name 🙄
They could do a duet of the Snake Dance Song! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Has already been done some 40 years ago - though not on the Carnatic stage - "Orey Jeevan Ondre Ullam Vaarai Kannaa" - Kamal and Sripriya!

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

Congratulations to Aruna Sairam.

First week of July, I heard three names had been zeroed . Ranjani Gayathri, BJ and AS. I was bit upset because OST, VVS and few elders deserved this and I was hoping one of them would be getting this.

Today. AS. Madurai Somu should be happy because AS was called Lady Somu. !!!

Iam not a rasika of AS and I also don't think she has that credentials. Unfortunately, Vijay Siva and TM Krishna were "eliminated" to accommodate these artists to take the podium.

But as Arasiji says, barring my personal opinion on an artist, read my "first line"

sankark

Post by sankark »

iamsundar wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 10:22 Is AS the most eligible Maha Vidwan this year? That's all.
So did you also ponder on whether AK became a Mahavidwan suddenly after SR/SS became Mahavidwan?