Sangeetha Kalanidhi 2018

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
kvchellappa

Re: Sangeetha Kalanidhi 2018

Post by kvchellappa »

Here is a post of Sri V.Ramanarayan, a connoisseur.
(From twitter/FB)

Ramnarayan Venkatraman

I have been a great admirer of Aruna Sairam the musician, from the time before she reinvented her concert repertoire to capture the popular mandate as arguably the most successful artist of her time. i had been privileged to listen to her rendition in the company of Geetha Raja of an authentic Dhanammal bani recital at a house concert a couple of decades ago. i knew of her heroic battle against audience indifference, her indomitable spirit that helped her plunge into a voyage of voice-and self-discovery placing complete trust in the hands of a German expert, her powerful fusion efforts in which her newly acquired, sonorous voice rang clear and true in a bell-like tone that would have done an MS or a Gangubai Hangal proud. I was also lucky to participate in a couple of panel discussions in which she displayed great bhakti towards her art and her guru, as well as a sharp intellect and brilliant articulation. The Music Academy has bestowed on her a richly deserved honour, I am sure as much in recognition of all these sterling qualities as acknowledgement of her undeniable role as a proselytiser of Carnatc music who has drawn sizable new audiences to this classical art. She has been a good friend of Sruti magazine. We appreciate her steadfast support and salute her in her hour of glory. Our cup of joy will be full when she realises her potential for true greatness as a champion of all that is good in music.
Here's something I wrote some years ago: https://srutimag.blogspot.com/search?q=aruna+sairam

sankark

Post by sankark »

sankark wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 10:04 Going by TBrinda's reported reputation for no nonsense & acerbic character, AS wouldn't have made into the threshold of TB's house as a student if TB didn't think AS had some genuine potential & base musical vidwat/sensibility. Something worth pondering over perhaps?
iamsundar wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 10:22 This line of reasoning (that Brinda accepted AS as a student; therefore AS is SK worthy) is flawed seventy two different ways ;)
iamsundar, Brinda accepted AS as a student simply implies "genuine potential & base musical vidwat/sensibility". Being "SK worthy" needs both as a necessary condition but not sufficient condition. Sufficient conditions are, whatever they be, "MA expert committee's" prerogative.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

From the time when sanjay got it in 2015, the debate went where many more accompolished and senior artists were passed . the debate went with ravikiran vs sanjay etc also. Then we thought how come A kanyakumari , OST , vikku , Mannargudi Easwaran and VV Subramaniam were passed. Now the logic is little more clear for very accompolished artist where academy feels an award they take it to LifeTime Achievement award and that is brahmastram that was given to Vikku . Violinist VVS may be passed as he was a bit of anti establshment(I recollect the post of KVN son here) . Karaikaudi Mani does not accept so he may be passed. A Kanyakumari had to wait and she got it in 2016. I was thinking OST or Aruna this year till bharath stated that even haridawaramangalam palanivel is in contention . I think in 2019 to 2020 OST and Mannargudi Easwaran will get it .

I am not sure how many students that tanjavur ramadas has trained , i do know Mannarkoil balaji is one of his student. he is truly a great artist . Thanjavur Ramadas has played a lot for sanjay not in the last few years, but before that .One pattern that i am making a calculated guess is perhaps getting clearer, the power center is possibly V Sriram and Sanjay may also have a big say . I think this year all the awards that were given are fair.

On aruna sayeeram atleast from the years 2001 to 2011 her music was appealing and not so dilute as of now . Now she is modelling not any more with trinity it is more on gregorian bells . All said her music was extremely appealing to me in parts ,her diction viruththam , some pidis of madurai somu etc was a better tradeoff than lacklustre maadu meikkum, kalinga nartana tillana and abhang . She is certainly introducing more entry level rasikas , her prime share of rasikas is perhaps dissipating now towards ranjani gayathri, sanjay and few more artist. I just see now in google that Aruna was born in 1952 certainly a nice age to respect the artist and art , unlike 2015 and 2017 where senior artist like A kanyakumari , OST are passed.

Some Logical Rules that rajesh is extrapolating
-------------------------------------------------------
1. Do well in your musical performance career and have a real big influential lobby and pull - You may end with Sangeetha kalanidhi

2. Not do that very well in Performance career in music when compared to that era peers (PSN) OR Do very well in musical career but donot have a strong insider lobby (TRS)- You may end with Sangeetha Kala Acharya

3. Do some what well(SRG Rajanna) or do well and have practically no lobby(Manakkal Rangarajan) - TTK award

4. Life Time Achievement award , usually given to artists who are missed and the institution is doing a salvage to keep up their brand(Lalgudi Jayaraman) OR silence excessive noise and stop the lobby who are repeatedly proposing them for Sangeetha kalanidhi (Vikku Vinayakaram)

Dear Musicians who are below age of 80 who are considerably elder in performance art and vidwat- Please do take care of your health . After all Palakkad Raghu and TV Gopalakrishnan got at 80 Plus and the ace vageyakkara papanAsam sivan got at 80 plus too.

sankark

Post by sankark »

rajeshnat wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 16:03 lacklustre maadu meikkum, kalinga nartana tillana
what exactly is lacklustre about these two, musically speaking?

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

Congratulations to Aruna Sairam !

She has got the award with ‘a bang’, much to the annoyance of a few.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

The press release is peculiarly facile. As is credited with having big audiences, another awardee has "trained several students." perhaps it's the invading illiteracy of The Hindu newspaper. But surely, for awardees deserving or undeserving, they can find something better to write?

And, not withstanding my personal liking and respect for Sri Ramnarayan, I am glad that Aruna lost her heroic battle against my indifference towards her music ;)

iamsundar

Post by iamsundar »

Sankark wrote: So did you also ponder on whether AK became a Mahavidwan suddenly after SR/SS became Mahavidwan?

Not Quite. Pondering is two fold: Objectively, is AS in the same league as Ravikiran, A Kanyakumari, Sanjay & TVG? Subjectively, are there (or aren't there) other Vidwans/Vidhushis more qualified for that league?

iamsundar

Post by iamsundar »

Nick H wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 17:33 The press release is peculiarly facile. As is credited with having big audiences, another awardee has "trained several students." perhaps it's the invading illiteracy of The Hindu newspaper. But surely, for awardees deserving or undeserving, they can find something better to write?

And, not withstanding my personal liking and respect for Sri Ramnarayan, I am glad that Aruna lost her heroic battle against my indifference towards her music ;)
True that. At the very least, write up some of their more compelling accomplishments...

Pratyaksham Bala

Aruna Sairam - 1995 Review by Subbudu
http://www.arunasairam.org/upload/media ... 411014.pdf

iamsundar

Post by iamsundar »

sankark wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 14:29
sankark wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 10:04 Going by TBrinda's reported reputation for no nonsense & acerbic character, AS wouldn't have made into the threshold of TB's house as a student if TB didn't think AS had some genuine potential & base musical vidwat/sensibility. Something worth pondering over perhaps?
iamsundar wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 10:22 This line of reasoning (that Brinda accepted AS as a student; therefore AS is SK worthy) is flawed seventy two different ways ;)
iamsundar, Brinda accepted AS as a student simply implies "genuine potential & base musical vidwat/sensibility". Being "SK worthy" needs both as a necessary condition but not sufficient condition. Sufficient conditions are, whatever they be, "MA expert committee's" prerogative.
We aren't talking about "chance/slot for one's first concert" to launch a career; we are talking about bestowing what's arguably the highest decoration. Pedigree (Brinda or self-taught) should have no bearing here and isn't necessary at all; that vidwan/vidushi's volume of work (accomplishments, contributions, sishya-kulam,..) should speak for itself - isn't?

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

It is picturised as though magudy is untouchable for C.M. There is a raga dedicated for it . Thiruvengadu Subramania pilla a great nadaswara vidwan contemporary of T N R was reputrd and sought after for his magudy. Flute mali and Ramani have also handled it.

sankark

Post by sankark »

iamsundar wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 19:51
sankark wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 14:29
We aren't talking about "chance/slot for one's first concert" to launch a career; we are talking about bestowing what's arguably the highest decoration. Pedigree (Brinda or self-taught) should have no bearing here and isn't necessary at all; that vidwan/vidushi's volume of work (accomplishments, contributions, sishya-kulam,..) should speak for itself - isn't?
Is this sentence - Brinda accepted AS as a student simply implies "genuine potential & base musical vidwat/sensibility" - that complicated to parse & make sense of?

You think this vidushi's volume of work doesn't speak for itself. The awarding body thought it does and have publicly spoken so. So there that is.

Chance/Slot - ha ha, are you confusing between the cause (SK) & effect (career) in this instance?

We can talk about this till end of this kaliyugA and nothing will change. So I am gonna shut up.

iamsundar

Post by iamsundar »

sankark wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 20:30
Is this sentence - Brinda accepted AS as a student simply implies "genuine potential & base musical vidwat/sensibility" - that complicated to parse & make sense of?
"Brinda accepted AS as a student" is a weak support argument for an SK.

Rangadu

Post by Rangadu »

Are we only going to hear either 'Madumekum Kanne' and the Oothukadu Snake dance thillana or Marathi Abhangs this coming season?!

What exactly is Aruna Sairam's contribution to CM?

Rangadu

Post by Rangadu »

Your proposal is accepted, though it is twenty years too early!
Sivaramakrishnan wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 14:01 I propose flautist Shashank.

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

iamsundar wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 21:13
sankark wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 20:30
"Brinda accepted AS as a student" is a weak support argument for an SK.
If that is the argument, in that case all students of Sangeetha kalanidhis should be awarded SK at some point of their musical career 🤣🤣🤣🤣.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

shankarabharanam wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 09:08 And those who follow Brindamma bani can vouch she is nowhere close to it today.
You had mentioned MDR in another post. It was a nephew of Alathur brothers talking to me outside the Chicago Rama temple, who said, there is NO relationship between what MDR sang and what Tiger sang. Since I did not get to live during Tiger's time, I have to rely on this, but then he does not have to lie that forcefully.
shankarabharanam wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 09:08 For that matter a vidwan like Sanjay isn’t gifted with a great voice but his vidwat can’t be questioned.
You see, for having been gifted with some masculine prowess and a diaphragm that has greater longevity, the YACM male first-genners have not off late been doing justice in holding syllables that tightly. There is more to music than just showing your vidvat with ragas and going through the motions of neraval and svarams. Are you are telling us that, Sanjay does not do theatrics?? - again I am not referring to any bodily actions or mannerisms, just his vocal style only, the way he stretches to reach that one extra note.

Sanjay, Vijay Siva are all raw emoters and try to attract sentiments of the audience ( the cine crowd or the bhakti of the sAmi paDam variety crowd). TMK was relatively much less so before. But today you can see him get into that act a bit.

Aruna's weaknesses are universal weaknesses of that era of musicians. The operative word for that is lack of a sense of layam, even in Bhajans. Old well honed kriti renditions all of them handled somewhat well. When they bring their own specialties is when that dies. They don't put enough art into it as much they put some raw emotions into it.
shankarabharanam wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 09:08 I might not be old enough like many in the forum but have been a vainika since I was eight years and learnt for almost fifteen years in Mumbai before moving to a different city.
For all that you have enough to run your Academy and chart the destiny of music in this world. To be upset with Music Academy for this reason is laughable.

How much have you done to develop and share a perspective on appreciation here? I would urge you to do that more, before you complain.

shankarabharanam

Post by shankarabharanam »

Picking on Sanjay’s voice was in response to some saying about AS having voice issues. Today is norm for theatrics but the kind of knowledge displayed by Sanjay or Vijay Siva, AS has hanged her style to suit only the last half hour of the concert.

I can argue at length about what she lacks. And to talk about MA I have every right to point fingers in this forum. My point the press release itself is a bit vague that says she has promoted music at large. Every other person says that in their description these days.

I think there are many who know me since Sangeetham days and my identity is the same. I don’t have multiple accounts or have never refrained from sharing my views. I have benefitted from a lot of learned rasikas here and sometimes I feel arguing can be avoided because trolling is way to easy in forums. My issue with AS was mentioned and you seem to disagree then why can’t you just move on than pointing out where I can actually change my opinion.

Pratyaksham Bala

Very few have congratulated; but not many have objected !

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

Rangadu

Post by Rangadu »

Question remains : What is AS or even Sanjay's contribution to Carnatic music to merit this award?

Sanjay still sang some Tamil songs to appease the DMK lot and their masses. Though a lot of those songs had nothing to do with Carnatic music.

But AS? Can her Abhangs be qualified as a contribution?

Don't know!
shankarabharanam wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 09:32 Picking on Sanjay’s voice was in response to some saying about AS having voice issues. Today is norm for theatrics but the kind of knowledge displayed by Sanjay or Vijay Siva, AS has hanged her style to suit only the last half hour of the concert.

I can argue at length about what she lacks. And to talk about MA I have every right to point fingers in this forum. My point the press release itself is a bit vague that says she has promoted music at large. Every other person says that in their description these days.

I think there are many who know me since Sangeetham days and my identity is the same. I don’t have multiple accounts or have never refrained from sharing my views. I have benefitted from a lot of learned rasikas here and sometimes I feel arguing can be avoided because trolling is way to easy in forums. My issue with AS was mentioned and you seem to disagree then why can’t you just move on than pointing out where I can actually change my opinion.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Ticket sales is definitely an important criterion, especially year on year.

narayan

Post by narayan »

Pratyaksham Bala wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 12:05 .
Very few have congratulated; but not many have objected !
I would like to offer my congratulations to Aruna Sairam on this occasion.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ah, a breath of fresh air!
Thanks, Narayanan--you belong to the group of our 'low key, but knows plenty about music' folks--a true gentleman rasikA, I would say.
Yes, may there be more good wishes from us for her:)

PB, the super hunter for information onanything from anywhere...
Thanks for that old review by subbudu!

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Hello Friends,

Very Interesting Observations and views on this subject.Rajesh has posted his analysis on this subject.
Before I write any thing my hearty Congratulations to Madam Aruna Sayeeram on the academy award SANGEETHAKALANIDHI.

In 2012 A Committee chaired by Sri N Murali conferred the INDIRA SIVASAILAM AWARD on AS.
SANJAY and SUDHA were also first awarded the INDIRA award and a couple of years later SK award by Music Academy.
RaGa sisters and Lalgudi Siblings have also been given the INDIRA award.I am sure RaGa sisters will be SK awardees in a couple of years.

The press announcement on AS spoke of the spread of CM to wider audience.Then on this count alone RaGa sisters are already qualified for SK.
Surely OST and VS do not belong to the crowd pulling capability.There must be some other criteria to award SK to OST/VS.VS is ruled out as year after year he is missing in the academy performers list be it morning or evening.

Whatever criteria or who ever is awarded,SK continues to draw Rasikas attention and the announcement is looked forward to.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Well said, Bhagwan. We are marching on with the times in music too. Every decade brings in some change or other in the arts, and in a century, new avenues add to the vista. With that perspective, we cannot do a song and a dance or despair about the way things turn out. History teaches us to view present times (and the arts along with it) that way.
Add to it the unbelievable advances in recent history, wrought by technology! Even here at Rasikas.org, how much we have changed--from rising against the resistance a few artistes put up--not in a gentle way at all, if you recall, to the recording of their concerts :roll: Now, how many offerings we are plied with at a mere click on the keyboard!
Changes are not easy to take, if we stick stubbornly to everything we believed in, in the past. In Nature, a river would take a bend against the odds and find a course to flow. The arts are mighty, and our need to interact with them is strong too. We don't give up easily, like that river.
The Academy is an old bastion, may be, but why think it's the end of it all? Thanks to it for all it has done for music, and hopefully will do in the future. We have other places to congregate to hear music and--need I say? The good old radio and TV channels are there to bring some quality music to us. And our personal screen at home, and more.
We can't stop our children from playing tech games which come from other parts of the world. We cannot stop musicians from taking CM to every corner of the world, bringing in rasikAs from
everywhere to it. Can't do anything about the off springs of migrated Indians from taking a shine to it!
So, here once more are my congratulations to Aruna (I do not know her personally). Any woman, man too :) achieving any honor after putting one's heart and efforts into the pursuit is praiseworthy for me...

devan

Post by devan »

Congratulations to Aruna.

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

Post no139
“The question remains:what is A S contribution to CM to meritthis Award ...”
Pl see. https://en.wikipedia.org”wiki” Aruna Sayeeram

Congratulations to Aruna

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Wikipedia is not an objective or authoritive source. Nobody can argue that she does not have a large following. Indeed, she fills halls with people who might never attend concerts by those many of us here would consider "SK material."

The Wikipedia article looks like it was written by one of them. That is not to say it is all wrong, just somewhat biased.

SK hanging on the wall of someone that many of us do not consider fulfils our ideas of what it is about. Never mind: there'll be another one along next year.

"We," I suppose, tend to think that SK should follow only hard-line, core musical values. The actual selection Committee thinks... Well, we don't know what it thinks. Perhaps the MMA, Modern Music Academy, is a bit like "New Labour" in UK and actually wants to dump its traditional values to increase its popularity. Or perhaps they only read Wikipedia these days! :lol:

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

It is not them. It is we who are the insulated group, an echo chamber validating each other's oblique views.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Ponbhairavi wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 07:42 Post no139

Congratulations to Aruna
Says the disclaimer at the top of the page : "...This article contains wording that promotes the subject in a subjective manner without imparting real information. Please remove or replace such wording and instead of making proclamations about a subject's importance, use facts and attribution to demonstrate that importance..."

Many of these articles are usually copy pasted from elsewhere.

Anyway, I haven't heard AS for so long (I stopped because I had no chance of getting a ticket or a place to sit in many of her concerts), so I have no idea what her music is like now. Now I think I really should go and listen for myself...

@harimau, you've disappointed me. This was your moment of a lifetime, and yet when it was time for you to show up, all we got was hari-meow. You took out your tup-tup rifle, only to realize that over the years, you've expended all the ammo in tup-tup. Your position is being stolen by the porcines. :twisted: :twisted:
Last edited by SrinathK on 18 Jul 2018, 11:42, edited 2 times in total.

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

Ok, now that th SK awardee has been announced, now the next topic for discussion would be the songs that will be rendered by the SK awardee at MA in dec 2018. My take is

Concert starts with a varnam in nattai - theme monkey
Submain piece on a cow in purvikalyani
Main piece - another cow in thodi
Grand finale - thillana on a snake with magudi accompaniment - 50 mins and 49 secs ably supported by the audience dancing away to glory inviting the new year !

This will be a 4 hours 22 mins 39 secs concert with special emphasis on thillana
Last edited by ram1999 on 18 Jul 2018, 11:27, edited 2 times in total.

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

SrinathK wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 09:27
Ponbhairavi wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 07:42 Post no139

Congratulations to Aruna

Anyway, I haven't heard AS for so long (I stopped because I had no chance of getting a ticket or a place to sit in many of her concerts), so I have no idea what her music is like now.
Do u consider ur self to be lucky or unlucky 🤣🤣🤣

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

I consider myself a scientist. :P :P

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

"Hari-meow."

:lol: Brilliant! :lol:

ratanabhinav

Post by ratanabhinav »

Certain vidwans and vidushis richly deserved the award , but never got it . ( Lalgudi , Suguna Purushothaman , TNR ) . And then there is Aruna Sairam . Way to go , MA .

mohan

Post by mohan »

Is it time to start a Sangeetha Kalanidhi 2019 thread?

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Why not? Express your wish list

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

No wonder AS is this year's SK.
Nominations for other titles haven't attracted much debate. (By and large they seem to be OK)
2018 is over.

Let us wait at least for Jan 2019 to begin next year's speculations.
Enjoy the Season 2018.

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

mohan wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 17:55 Is it time to start a Sangeetha Kalanidhi 2019 thread?
Ranjini Gayathri or TMK

Double dhamaka 🤣🤣🤣

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I don't mind TMK getting awards, as long as it is for music!

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

I repeat my guess : It will be TMK. On music, he deserves it.

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

kvchellappa wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 20:13 I repeat my guess : It will be TMK. On music, he deserves it.
He writes for The Hindu - so plus 1. Last time someone from SSI school got SK was all the way back in 1981 [TMT]. Can TMK lobby hard enough though? And how friendly is he with Sriram V / Sanjay?

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

TM Krishna has to perform in the Dec Music Season in Music Academy.Reconciliation is possible.But going by last few years TMK may not be proposed and one fear may be he may not accept?

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

You may find a host of SK's returning their awards!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I suspect that TMK gets a lot more respect from musicians than he does here

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

TM Krishna's music captures the audience.He deserves the SK award.Most definitely he is very knowledgeable too and not a routine singer.He gets due respect from the accompanists and gives more then their share of chance.
But as he is staying away from music Academy during the season and is not performing,he may not be given the award.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

ram1999 wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 11:21 Ok, now that th SK awardee has been announced, now the next topic for discussion would be the songs that will be rendered by the SK awardee at MA in dec 2018. My take is

Concert starts with a varnam in nattai - theme monkey
Submain piece on a cow in purvikalyani
Main piece - another cow in thodi
Grand finale - thillana on a snake with magudi accompaniment - 50 mins and 49 secs ably supported by the audience dancing away to glory inviting the new year !

This will be a 4 hours 22 mins 39 secs concert with special emphasis on thillana
This is so so funny - :lol: :lol:
But can we all leave the poor vidushi Aruna Sairam alone

Pratyaksham Bala

This has become a Musicians bashing site.

devan

Post by devan »

Punch bag