Singing fast correctly - aka songs amenable to boisterous rendition

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
newid

Singing fast correctly - aka songs amenable to boisterous rendition

Post by newid »

Over on the Sid Sriram concert thread there is a discussion around singing fast - some liking it, some not, some critical of the singer. I was wondering if the dissonance was not around singing spiritedly compositions that sound better when sung more reflectively... On the other side, are there compositions that lend themselves to especially boisterous singing? Perhaps a selection of these songs would work even better for singers eager to demonstrate speed and control over raga?

Could you list songs you feel are more enjoyable sung robustly and spiritedly? I can think of a few -
Sarasa saama dana https://youtu.be/q-qozgVHOZc

Nada vindu kalaadi https://youtu.be/vRFdbCDK1jc

I guess any number of tukdas can be sung fast, are there weightier numbers you know of?

newid

Re: Singing fast correctly - aka songs amenable to boisterous rendition

Post by newid »

Another one: Malmaruga shanmugha https://youtu.be/76cPz1fb5-M (despite poor audio quality)

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Tatva meruga tarama
Paridana michite
Anathudanu - jingla song
Ra ra Rama Ravi kula soma - Bangala song
Vara raga laya -chenjukamboji
Sevikka vendumayya
Deva deva kalayami te
Kanu kontini
There are a number of Tyagaraja songs which are usually sung in faster speed compared to other two trinity. These appear as filler song b4 main or RTP. Somwtimes quick swaras are appended. Entha veduko used to be sung fast tempo as well but RKM is singing with medium tempo which is better for me.

Tyagarajar krutis lend themselves for singing in brisk tempo but it will definitley depend on artiste to sing fast w/o sacrificing bhava - it's possible to sing like that - MLV style was like that - singing fast but with bhava intact. And it was never intended to demonstrate prowess.

harimau

Post by harimau »

Sadinchane-Arabhi
Bhogeendra Sayeenam-Kuntalavarali
Sara Sara Samaraika Soora-Kuntalavarali
Paramapurusham-Lalitha panchamam
Raghu Vamsa Sudha-Kathanakutuhalam
Thullumada (Tiruppugazh)-Hamsanandi

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

Post 1-new Id wrote:” i guess any number of thukdas can be sung fast, are there any weightier numbers you know of “
On the reverse side, a song by Subramania Bharathi is unfortunately sunggenerally as a thukada at fast pace ( DKJ,
J B kirthana ) in a boisterous rendition. whereas the bhava content is weighty and requires a slow pace .the song is
Asai mugam maRandhu poche, idai yAridam solvenadi thozhi .
To realise the enormity of the offense committed, just try to sing the following lines on the same tune at the same speed.
Yen vaira necklace thiruttu poche idai yAridam solvenadi thozhi
Kadan innum adaiyavillai nenjam pada pada thu thudikkalache.
I think this is already in the dance repertoire . at what pace ? Dr Sankar will be able to throw more light.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ponbhairavi,
Love the DKP school of singing, but with this song, I am with you! Pity, we don't have the recorded version of the song sung by VVS :( Imagine, in jOnpuri too, which is employed in many a tukkaDa in the fast mode, as here. There it began with a plaintive mAND in a slow mode of singing, then JOnpuri which captured the longing, bringing in the pathos. Conjured up a large canvas in the listener, though the subject craves at least a cameo!
Last edited by arasi on 20 Mar 2018, 15:19, edited 1 time in total.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Wow! Never heard it sung this badly! This sounds like gleeful ridicule!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Both the music and the dance express the mood so well...

arasi

Post by arasi »

Good, Chellappa.
Even there, I see someone suggesting a 'slow'er rendering :)

cienu

Post by cienu »

newid wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 18:15 Could you list songs you feel are more enjoyable sung robustly and spiritedly? .....................................
are there weightier numbers you know of?
"Nenarunchinaanu Anitiki" by MSS & Radha Viswanathan.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WtElqTEGscA

Purist

Post by Purist »

An anecdote reg the song Asaimugam marandpoche, I remember to have read.
Bharatiyar at a very young age lost his mother. It is believed he composed this
song out of remorse as he did not even have a photo/picture of his mother to see how
she looked. It would be in fitness to sing this song in vilamba kalam to give full
expression of pathos. The way it is rendered by DKJ school in fast tempo doesn't
seem to do justice to the meaning of the song.
It is therefore essential to discern the sahitya to see if it renders to a boisterous rendition,
or else it would not be in sync.

harimau

Post by harimau »

The jolly song Nagumomu Ganaleni Na Jolly Telisi.

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

Thanks Arasi, Ranganayaki.
Just to show how important is the kalapramanam even within the same raga. Bharathanatyam which is more concerned about the bhava aspect has chosen the appropriate speed. Overall it is regrettable that Bharathi is relegated to thukkada and dance items Actually oothukadu also was deemed out of serous music till quite recently Came Ravi Kiran who has done justice to the great Tamil composer whom he considers in no way inferior to the trinity. I wish someon like him to come to resuscitate Bharathi.

arasi

Post by arasi »

PB,
How I wish too! But take heart. It may happen more. I agree, kaNNammA songs alone have been chosen by many, to be offered at the end of the concert.TirumagaL tudi was picked up by Sanjay, and he sings it in the original rAgA chakravAgam as the bard would have--with an interesting twist. The second stanza is sung as the virutham: ADugaLUm, mADugaLum, azaguDaiya pariyum...the first stanza, nithamunai vENDi manam ninaippadellAm becomes the kriti. A satisfying, moving piece. He also has sung chandiran oLiyil in malaya mArutham as a main. Both you can listen to on You Tube.
There were no recorders in the forties, but how I wish we could at least get hold of a review! If anyone can do it, it is Pasupathy :) In Ettayapuram, in the late forties, VVS (mon oncle) gave a concert of all Bharathi songs...:)

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

Arasi,
I have not heard the Sanjay's singing of the songs noted by you. i will search in you tube. Vijay Siva also has rendered many songs of Bharathi But not as a solid main item with ragam swaram neraval. etc,Regarding you uncle VV sadagopan, I remember his voice and the song " seer sirakkum meni pasel pasel ena .. Nooburathin osai galeer galeer ena..

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Many years varsha posted the fastest song which was a thillana or something sung by chembai . It got over in less than a minute or so. It is even faster than the fastest nena runchi nanu in malavi . Can you upload that Varsha??
In general fast songs when rendered should have an extremely fast support from extremely capable mrudangam artist . That way the boisterous will not be noticed but you will be in awe with the team

arasi

Post by arasi »

Yes, Rajesh. Listen to narasimhuDu in kamala manOhari...