An Evaluation

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
hema

An Evaluation

Post by hema »

Dear All
My PhD student has attempted an algorithm for generation of gamakas. I request those of you that are willing to take this test to do so.
The results will be made anonymous, but we would like to use the results of this test in a research paper. Here is the link.

https://www.iitm.ac.in/donlab/dmoswerte ... &s2=4&s3=4

Thank you

Hema

venkumaar

Re: An Evaluation

Post by venkumaar »

Thank you Mam.
Dear all,
The link to the most recent test is below. Please use this one.

https://www.iitm.ac.in/donlab/pctestmus ... estcount=8

Thanks,
Venkat
(Ph.D. student of Prof. Hema)

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

I am half way through and for all except Thodi, I will give you 5 stars on both A & B samples. Good enough for me.

But Thodi is a massive failure on the first occurrence, a wee bit better on the second. To my ears I guess it is too much of a cultural rAgA, which I will accept with only certain vocalizations ( even with the right Srutis or gamakas). And also I felt sometimes I heard some punnAgavaraLi.

hema

Post by hema »

Thanks, this feedback is really useful. FYI, the pieces were taken from the original, the srutis were extracted, a mathematical used to generate the gamakas. venkumaar can give a better description.

sreebeecane

Post by sreebeecane »

I’m curious as to how these were generated.

hema

Post by hema »

I will ask venkumaar to upload the preprint either on arXiv or here once the work is done.

sreebeecane

Post by sreebeecane »

Thank you!

sreebeecane

Post by sreebeecane »

A slightly unrelated question: If it uses ideas from NLP, is it possible to generate verses adhering to some prescribed meter in a language like say Sanskrit? :-)

hema

Post by hema »

Yes, I have been asked this question a number of times. We will need to teach the system the grammar -- finding an universal grammar is the difficult part.

MadhavRayaprolu

Post by MadhavRayaprolu »

This is pretty impressive. Especially if the gamakams are truly generated from scratch as opposed to retaining from original samples.

In general, as speed increases gamakams get flatter, so I recommend using medium tempo alapanas for this exercise.

bhakthim dehi

Post by bhakthim dehi »

Can you please let us know the results of your analysis?

hema

Post by hema »

Just saw the results today. The differences are subtle and the preferences were sort of 50-50 in most cases. This test sort of confirms our conjecture that there is only a skeletal grammar. We still are groping in the dark as to what this is for each raga. This opens up more avenues for research.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

rAgA as identity goes only so far. rAgA as an experience is unbounded :ugeek:

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

In the traditions, the knowledge is always transmitted initially in a "sUtra" form. People ask how bhagavatgIta was told in one day in a 18 day battle. It was given in "sUtra" form goes the explanation. vEda vyAsa expanded it. One of the meanings of vyAsa is also the who expands the knowledge.

hema

Post by hema »

Interesting. Like clay in the hands of a potter, rock in the hands of a sculptor, like phenomena in the hands of a scientist, ... Perhaps but there must be a fundamental law, that all of us agree to.