A three hour lec-dem on Manodharma by TM Krishna

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
ark07

A three hour lec-dem on Manodharma by TM Krishna

Post by ark07 »

A new 3 hour lec-dem by TM Krishna which he gave at First Edition Arts in Mumbai has been uploaded on their Youtube channel in 4 parts.

Part 1 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdIy9531_fM
Part 2 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79ScPj4sE3Y
Part 3 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDaanIHX30I
Part 4 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErpI843IiG4

shankarank

Re: A three hour lec-dem on Manodharma by TM Krishna

Post by shankarank »

:twisted: First part. CM is fast vs HM is slow -> CM Alapana is busy -> HM is laid back whatever. Once in Tiruvaiyaru, S Balachandar played ksheera sagara! I remember my grand father's remark. "we could beget 8 children before he finishes". I could then relate to SSI's characterization of hanging (tongify) on the Strings! :twisted:

SB spent much of his Spic-Macay Lecdem either playing guitar or playing HM - and even claimed he can play HM whilst they cannot play CM. :mrgreen:

We in the southern world are as snobbish as those in the North. :twisted:

An SSI concert with kIravaNi, he murmurs s-R2-N3 , I mean he has not started the Alapana. It was almost like a prep murmur - that was in the Grundig tape collector listening session. kIravANiya? - I asked him. Incredible! - he exclaimed. Too busy I suppose!

I don't know why this Hindustani music cloud is hanging over all discussions - like Hindi as national language does. May be we should get a little subversive and rename the music as Dravidian music down here :twisted:

uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

shankarank wrote: 29 Apr 2018, 21:17 :twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen: :twisted: :twisted:
WTF ? Are you too embarrassed to say something normally ? Ugh, who invented emoticons ? (ahem, there are better things to invent).

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Have you heard of Bhava sangItam?

By the way my next invention will be: develop a rasikatvam for your new great invention. When is your next tour? Especially to the subaltern sabha-dom in the U.S? Or is it only for curated spaces?

msakella

Post by msakella »

These Lec-dems, along with the Antaranga and Bahiranga also, bring out the performer’s perspective of the artist and the lack of the teacher’s perspective. This kind of Lec-dems must bring out a logical road-map to be followed by the aspirant independently right from the first day of the music lesson to arrive at the destination in a minimum duration. But, like all the other professional performers, as this artist also is unaware of his own lacuna be could not truly help the poor aspirants. amsharma

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

akellagaru, he is focused on appreciation only , not learning.

Even there he is contradicting other musicians/musicologists (T Viswa in particular - Ohio State 2000 - 2003 or something) , that the eduppu is not something significant - and Arun gives a nodding laugh for that. Well for the performer he only has to get it close to accurate or may be a delay itself is artful in many cases, but for a listener that is a distinct musical experience by itself. And that can happen without learning any music, as has happened to me.

The way T Visva chose to express/explain that was very matter-of-factly - little things that he might have seen listeners experience, and he was trying to address new people.

And you seem obsessed with people learning music. Do you think one has to know music to enjoy it?

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

shankarank wrote: 14 May 2018, 09:57 Do you think one has to know music to enjoy it?
We, at rasikas, are living breathing proof that one doesn't need to know music to write about it :D

msakella

Post by msakella »

Excellent dear. amsharma