DIFFERENCE BETWEEN POET,LYRICIST AND MUSIC COMPOSER

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
RSR

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN POET,LYRICIST AND MUSIC COMPOSER

Post by RSR »

i am told that the music for most of the krithis of Purandaradasa (1500 AD) , was composed by latter-day musicians and followers. When we talk about Carnatic music, we should clearly differentiate between the lyrics and the music.
I believe that the kritis of the Trinity, are unique in that , the lyrics and the music in which they are to be rendered , were created by the trinity themselves. though here and there , there may be some discrepancies.
The krithis have a theme , adherence to a cultural tradition and may or may not have poetic excellence.

Let me illustrate with one of the best in every aspect under discussion.

The song 'vadavaraiyai matthaakki' sung by Smt. MSS, ...the poetry of unsurpassed beauty is by Ilango Adikal of Silappathikaram. ( may be around 200 BC). The 'lyrics' of the song are directly from the poem piece in Aychiyar Kuravai. ( for those interested, there are many more line of sheer beauty in that kuravai).
The music with orchestration was set by Sri.S.V.Venkataraman. . The theme is Vaishnavam.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let me consider another example. 'veLLaith thaamaraip poovil '. The poetry is of Barathy. and the lyrics unchanged from the poem., though slightly truncated. Who composed the music ( in Beemplaas ragam) for that song? Was the music created by Mani Iyer himself?
--------------------------------------------------------------
Is it right to call someone a composer, ( vaggeyakara) just because they wrote the lyrics-without setting it to music? Is not a forum of CM rasikas expected to give more importance to the music creator than the lyricist? Even film world clearly mentions the lyricist and music director separately.
If most of the songs of a poet are set to music by some vidwan or a team, should not the composition be known as the creation of the music-composer?
How many of the music compositions of Swathi ThirunaaL, his own? It is rumored that many were set to music by a team led by SSI .
The few lovely sanskrit kritis by the mystic Sadasiva Bramendram were set to music differently by different artistes.
And now, the 'discovered' lyrics of Annamacharya are being set to music by BMK.
Smt MSS had rendered a few of the Annamacharay krithis. Who set them to music?
How right are we to just ignore the real music creators?
Have there not been pure music-creators like LG ? Did he first write the lyrics and then give it musical notation?
Is it not then possible and proper to separate the theme, lyrical wordings (poetic or prosaic), from the musical notation of the songs by the trinity and extricate the music from 'devotional' aspect?
Scholars in the forum are requested to give their view point.

RSR

Re: DIFFERENCE BETWEEN POET,LYRICIST AND MUSIC COMPOSER

Post by RSR »

2 Let us consider the Thiruppaavai songs. created by Kathai AndaaL. That is highest-class literature and poetry of excellence. I have observed from my childhood that devout people just recite the poems without any music. For the believers, the serene atmosphere and devotion in recitation, itself sounds like music. Same is true for Sanskrit slokams too. ( I would cite the Dhyana slokam for for 'paraayanam' of Sundarakaandam of Valmiki ramayanam...anonymous author!) . Had it been set to high class music, it would have just added to its glory.
Thus, high class poetry gains by being set to music. I think, it aids remembering and chanting.
The purpose of the main stream of all the famous vaggeyakars had been primarily devotional. They chose the medium of music rather than poetry and literature, for better effect in proselytization . Had the lyrics not been associated with music, they would not have become so well known to atleast musically inclined sections of society.
This is at once an advantage and a drag. For a section of people, not devotionally inclined or more likely, not interested in the theme ( for example, Vaishanava theme may not appeal to Saivites and so on, it becomes a drag)
At the time of the Trinity, the choice of language was decided by the mother-tongue primarily of the creators.
However, Gopalakrishna Barathy, a prolific lyricist was a contemporary of The Trinity and he chose Thamizh as the medium of his devotional and reformist outpourings.
There are controversies if he set the music to his lyrics himself!
-------------------------
Coming back to Thiruppaavai, it was the venerable Ariyakkudi Ramanuja Iengar who created the musical notations for the Thiruppaavai songs. And the more popular and better known version is by Smt MLV.
Is it not due to the songs being in Tamil and set to pure un-ostentatious CM ragams, that it is widely known in almost all the small towns and villages with temples in Tamilnadu? that too during the December season? That is the true December season in Tamilnadu.

( to be continued)

vgovindan

Post by vgovindan »

....proselytization....?
RSR,
I request you to be a little more prudent in choice of words. Very disturbing.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

I have not seen an adult - grown up take tyAgarAja's words seriously and become a bhaktimAn. Unless it is part of family it seems even Carnatic music itself has tough reach - according to you. Anything that passes down family tree cannot be called proselytization - that has a different name : tradition. People who lament "by birth??" fail to see this.

Carnatic music was not practiced by diverse people before - in the now liberal definition of the word "diverse". It was practiced by specific jAtis. Bramhins ( or of that caste) got into the act much later!

This bhakti narrative is a parallel to nationalist narrative essentially, musicians seeking livelihood did not know what else to say to sell it.

It is liberalism and it's cousin journalism that are confused.

RSR

Post by RSR »

vgovindan wrote: 14 May 2018, 03:22 ....proselytization....?
RSR,
I request you to be a little more prudent in choice of words. Very disturbing.
--------------------
Respected Sir, I am a bit surprised at your objection. No offence meant. The word may have many overtones, but I simply use it to convey 'spreading a message and winning over people to one's view '. In that sense, all the religions have engaged in such activity.
The music movement begun by Maratha saints like Namadeva ( 1300), had its continuity in Purandaradasa and (1500) later in the works of Thyagaraja (1800). It definitely had an ideological impulse. I am all for it. It was not new but a re-assertion of our ancient values. I do not at all imply any negative connotation.