Madura nagarilo and thyagarajar

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
ajaysimha

Madura nagarilo and thyagarajar

Post by ajaysimha »

Can somebody state the anecdote that connects
Madhura nagarilo (Ananda bhairavi ragam) and thyagarajar.

Is madhura nagarilo categorised under javali's ?
Why is it popular under kuchupudi music ?

RSR

Re: Madura nagarilo and thyagarajar

Post by RSR »

I do not know of any connection of this song with Thayagaraj.
http://www.karnatik.com/c1025.shtml
It was by Chittor Subramanya Pilai, as I understand

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

ajaysimha wrote: 20 May 2018, 22:10 Can somebody state the anecdote that connects
Madhura nagarilo (Ananda bhairavi ragam) and thyagarajar.
There is a reference in this link :-
http://charulathamani.blogspot.in/2011/ ... t-all.html

You may scroll down to July 21, 2011 for the comment by Dr. Murthy of Bangalore -

“1. Saint Thyagaraja Swamy's promise to Krishna Leela drama troupe manager that he won't compose anymore songs in Ananda Bhairavi so that the episode of the Saint visiting the drama performance will be remembered for long (song performed by the drama artistes being Madhura nagarilo).”

ajaysimha

Post by ajaysimha »

thanks for posting articles RSR and Bala.

ajaysimha

Post by ajaysimha »

that is why i think Thyagarajar has composed only countable number of songs in anandabhairavi to keep up this promise.
though Ananadabhairavi was an ancient,popular and fully developed raga by his time

vgovindan

Post by vgovindan »

pb,
Sometimes even quoting such links where cock and bull stories are spread, might amount to giving credence to them.

Pratyaksham Bala

vgovindan wrote: 21 May 2018, 16:51 pb,
Sometimes even quoting such links where cock and bull stories are spread, might amount to giving credence to them.
Giving credence ? No way!

Anyway, I note your point that it is yet another cock and bull story on the life of Thyagaraja !

RaviSri

Post by RaviSri »

Who remembers the Kuchipudi Bhagavatr or Krishna Leela Manager while listening to or singing Ananda Bhairavi? Only Shyama Sastri and Dikshitar come to one's mind. These stories were concocted by people who didn't know about the other two of the Trinity. It is a pity that even Sambamurthy subscribed to such rubbish and gave credence to them through his books.

ajaysimha

Post by ajaysimha »

Then is it just the built up story ??

vgovindan

Post by vgovindan »

ajaysimha,
It would be advisable to seek corollary proof before accepting any statement which does not sound ordinary - particularly in the age where freedom of expression has given birth to intellectual diarrhea of sorts - sometimes without even one's (author's) own conviction.

Pratyaksham Bala

For consideration, here are two more 'stories', quoted in an article published in The Hindu !!

1. "As the story goes, once a sage named Haridas asked him to recite the name of Rama 960 million times. Tyagaraja did that and he heard a knock on his door. Rama, Sita and Hanuman entered his prayer room and he was blessed to see the coronation of Rama."

2." When he visited Tirupati, the temple was closed. Disappointed, he sang ‘Teratiyagaraadaa.’ The door opened and the screen fell aside. The temple officials were astounded."

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

The story is a narrative that explains, the importance of Anandha bhairavi as a pURva prasiddha rAgA in the bhajana sampradAya of Andhra Pradesh. Malladi brothers have talked about it.

RaviSri, SyAmA SAstri as a composer - I found out when trying to enroll in a competition for Sathguru Sangita samAjam, Madurai - after crooning KJY cassettes in my school competition ( for those who deirde competitions).

I did not hear much of any Syama Sastri anywhere. It was much latter in a MA concert for Syama Sastri day by TNS.

But then in the meanwhile I already sang rAmabhadra rA rA in the vIdhi Bhajana based on a TNS Cassette rendition. Your thing about who heard Krishna Leela or KuchipuDi may be true for your small [:cough:] world. We all know how small that is don't we?

But then there are many such other small worlds - so please be mindful of those!

Today a large contingent of IT / Engineer/ Doctor folks from Andhra Pradesh in the U.S will hear Anandha-Bhairavi only through a KuchipuDi performance. Is that a sad thing or happy thing? - you figure!

Lets read the right things out of the stories , instead of anthropologizing our own harikatha exponents!
Last edited by shankarank on 22 May 2018, 06:24, edited 1 time in total.

RSR

Post by RSR »

ajaysimha wrote: 21 May 2018, 16:43 thanks for posting articles RSR and Bala.
Thank you. I would like to share a gem in that ragam by Smt.D.K.PattammaL
It is by Muthuswamy Dikshithar,
https://sites.google.com/site/dkpattamm ... -guru-guha
It is a very early vintage record.