The Opening Number

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
Sivaramakrishnan

The Opening Number

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

There is a tendency of late on the part of musicians to go straight into the main course without the customary 'Pillaiyar kriti' or Vinayaka/Ganapati sthuti in the beginning of the kutcheri (not to say of Varnam which was sort of compulsory in the past).

Singers of yore often used to render the Navagraha (Vaara) kriti of the day.

Another format these days is to recite an invocation sloka (not necessarily on Vinayaka) and proceed to the core menu.

If at all Varnam is rendered it appears as though for a warming up! And a Mahaganapathim for Mike test!

HarishankarK

Re: The Opening Number

Post by HarishankarK »

This is done and dusted topic.
In today's carnatic world there is no such rule and it does not apply mainly because time of concert has reduced and thematic programmes are on the increase
Main reason for this gol maal is thematic programmes especially MMU concerts etc., - e.g. the Pallavi Durbar concerts are 1.5 hrs in which artistes sing one sub main and one pallavi - no time for varnam, vara kriti etc etc

Even in old times this was common -I remember in one Vani Mahal concerT Years ago OST himslef started directLY with Maa Janaki

And regarding vara krithis- mainly MMI used to follow that - it was not there in Ariyakudi paddathi, I think

Ippo ellaam looks like yenna venumnaalum paadalaam, eppo venumnaalum paadalaam

bhakthim dehi

Post by bhakthim dehi »

@harishankar
Also add epadi venalum paadalam.

Sivaramakrishnan

Harishankark,
Nothing wrong in reviving discussions that warrant a revisit!
I won't appreciate a RTP being accommodated in a 2 hour concert at the cost of a pillaiyar kriti of say, 10 mnts. or a sloka like 'Gajananam bhutaganaadisevitam' of hardly two minutes at the start.

My suggestion could be out of place at a time when high-end innovations like 'Raga - kriti grafting' has crept in and musicians/rasikas have nothing to object!

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Sivaramakrishnan wrote: 29 May 2018, 13:29 high-end innovations
:lol:

May be this is an indication that the music is being "secularized".

ramamatya

Post by ramamatya »

You shld be happy musicians do not begin with mangalam, or maybe I'm wrong (read tmk;-)

RSR

Post by RSR »

Sivaramakrishnan wrote: 28 May 2018, 10:16 There is a tendency of late on the part of musicians to go straight into the main course without the customary 'Pillaiyar kriti' or Vinayaka/Ganapati sthuti in the beginning of the kutcheri (not to say of Varnam which was sort of compulsory in the past).
-------
If at all Varnam is rendered it appears as though for a warming up! And a Mahaganapathim for Mike test!
I agree with you Sir. The concerts by leading vocalists can begin at 6-30 pm and end at 9.00 pm. That gives 150 minutes. It is only RTP that is difficult to be included. Normally, each kruthi takes about 10 minutes, excluding alapana etc. There have been MS concerts accommodating about 14 krithis.
As you rightly suggest, the concert can begin with invoking the blessing of Lord Vigneswara and then followed by a varNam. All the venerated composers like Purandaradasa, Annamacharya, ShyamaSastri, Thyagaraja, Dikshithar, Papanasam Sivan, and Sadasiva BrammedndraaL can be given two or three best known songs.
And the concert will end with mangaLam.
----------------------------------------------- An imaginary concert by Smt.MS
gajavadanaa (tamizh) Papanasam Siavn
raagam: shree ranjani
-----------------------------------
viriboni varnam- bairavi
koluvamaragde -todi thyagaraja
dinamani vamsa- harikambodhi-thagaraja
---------------------------------
jagadhodharana -pilu- purandaradasa
dasanamadiko enne -nadhanakariya-purandharadas
jo jo achuthananda - annamacharya
----------------------------------
chetasri balakrishnam -dwijavanthi-Djikshithar
-------------------------------------------
meenaakshi memudam -poorvikalyani -dikshithar
---------------------------------------------
rangapura vihara - brindavanasaranga-dikshitar
---------------------------------------------
narayanas divya naamam -mohanam-papanasam sivan
-----------------------------------------------
maamava pattabirama -manirangu- dikshitar

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Traditionally in your imaginary concert 1 and 2 shd swap positions.
Not sure MSS was such a fan of Gajavadana -
Songs 4, 5 6 MSS would havd sung towards the end

At least in imagination you need not have stereotyped MSS with the usual typical songs😀

RSR

Post by RSR »

HarishankarK wrote: 30 May 2018, 14:17 Traditionally in your imaginary concert 1 and 2 shd swap positions.
Not sure MSS was such a fan of Gajavadana -
Songs 4, 5 6 MSS would havd sung towards the end

At least in imagination you need not have stereotyped MSS with the usual typical songs😀
=========================
I think, it is good practice to invoke Lord Ganesa first. It may be in the form of a brief sloka. ''gajaananam bhootha ....' would be brief and fine.
I would not use the word 'sterotyped' to describe these songs. Many famous vocalists, Smt.MS among them have advised that the songs should be well-known to the listeners so that their emotional participation will be more.
and the Ragams also should be commonly known classics.
There is a thematic unity in my selection and ordering of songs. But, Smt.MS might have added more virutthams, bajans and such. Not a single krithi in the list is a thukkada. It is meant for connoisseurs. and the best renditions by her in each genre.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

RSR wrote: 30 May 2018, 21:10 I think, it is good practice to invoke Lord Ganesa first. It may be in the form of a brief sloka. ''gajaananam bhootha ....' would be brief and fine.
I don't. I think this is an unnecessary "ritual". I don't recall a concert becoming so much better because this was done, or one turning out badly because this was omitted.

RSR

Post by RSR »

sureshvv wrote: 30 May 2018, 22:55
RSR wrote: 30 May 2018, 21:10 I think, it is good practice to invoke Lord Ganesa first. It may be in the form of a brief sloka. ''gajaananam bhootha ....' would be brief and fine.
I don't. I think this is an unnecessary "ritual". I don't recall a concert becoming so much better because this was done, or one turning out badly because this was omitted.

---------------------
1) You would have read about the crisis during UN concert when Smt.MS found her voice completely lost and how she regained just in time by the Grace of Maha PeriyavaaL.
http://mahaperiyavapuranam.org/sankara- ... o-ms-amma/

2) Have you not read about loss of voice of Chembai and the miraculaous recovery due to the Grace of Guruvayoor appan?
3) Do we not know about the loss of voice by Madurai Mani Iyer?
Anythiung may happen any time and faith and surrender to the Almighty helps and saves.
Can we not allot just 5 minutes to Vinayagar prayer ? ( 'thungak karimukatthuth thoomaNiye enakku samngath thamizh moondrum thaa").
Ganesa may be one of the most popular deities in tamil conutry especially in rural areas and all the temples.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
4) If a vocalist is all that against theism , he'/she must have the intellectual integrity to completely avoid any kruthi by the famed vaggeyakaaras , dealing with theistic themes. He can play the songs in instrumental music however.

vgovindan

Post by vgovindan »

RSR,
Para (4). What a prescription! By that standard, Mohd Rafi should not have sung songs on Hindu Gods.

Kindly differentiate between a profession and faith. btw - bhakti is not religion specific - it is an attitude and a mode of worship - God does not understand religions and their prescriptions. (bhakti simply means dedication)

https://youtu.be/uBRkGxBpJ1g

Sivaramakrishnan

We must recognize the fact that evolution in classical arts would be refinement and not countering/questioning tradition.

RSR

Post by RSR »

vgovindan wrote: 31 May 2018, 18:18 RSR,
Para (4). What a prescription! By that standard, Mohd Rafi should not have sung songs on Hindu Gods.

Kindly differentiate between a profession and faith. btw - bhakti is not religion specific - it is an attitude and a mode of worship - God does not understand religions and their prescriptions. (bhakti simply means dedication)

---------------------------------------------------
I am talking about CM only and am not impressed by your bringing in Rafi Saheb.
We are not talking about hindi film music at all.
I am not talking about bakthi in a general sense. but with specific reference to CM kruthis.
99% of CM kritis are hindu-religious-devotion oriented. No second opinion about it.
You are degrading the profession of CM vocalists .
For the legendary CM vocalists, concert singing was not just for earning money. That was incidental.
I am sure that even today, 95% of CM vocalists are theists and traditionalists.
The remaining 5% are just swayed by so-called modernism. Best ignored.
Kindly differentiate between a profession and faith.
I am really surprised that such mercenary view is peddled by a known devotee of Thagaraja. .

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

RSR wrote: 31 May 2018, 10:41
Anythiung may happen any time and faith and surrender to the Almighty helps and saves.
Can we not allot just 5 minutes to Vinayagar prayer ?
Sure. You may. Why force every musician to in every concert? Why not insist on 12 thoppukaranams also? :D After all it will be good for the health too.
I am really surprised that such mercenary view is peddled by a known devotee of Thagaraja.
That is NOT a mercenary view. That is a "live and let live" view. May be quite difficult for you to understand.

RSR

Post by RSR »

For the last one hundred years, Carnatic vocalists, have been practitioners of Music as a means of self-realization and mystical experience. It was this dedication that brought them recognition from audience and resultant fame and freedom from mundane financial worries. How else are we to understand Madurai Mani Iyer singing to an audience of just 10? or to many famous musicians contributing lavishly to public cause?
i am not 'forcing' Ganesa stothram on the concert format but only suggesting it.. Even Smt.MSS began her Sangitha kalanidhi concert straight away with Thyagaraja's Harikambodhi krithi 'enthara neetana '. Preservation of tradition is very important. Who prevents new lyric+music composers outside the film world, to create 'non-religious, non-sensual' ennonbling krithis and popularising them in CM CONCERTS? It is not all that easy.

RSR

Post by RSR »

Why not insist on 12 thoppukaranams also? :D After all it will be good for the health too.
Arrogant, idiotic and unrelated

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

sureshvv wrote: 31 May 2018, 22:45Why not insist on 12 thoppukaranams also? :D After all it will be good for the health too.
LOL !
I like the sense of humour.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

bhakthim dehi wrote: 28 May 2018, 17:38 @harishankar
Also add epadi venalum paadalam.
Also paadaamalum irukkalaaam - like some members of the duo 'bros' and 'sis' where in the recent past only one of the duo is singing and the other is simply putting thalam most of the time.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Many artistes already have their opening slokas (sathguru gajasya vani karuna makaranda) which they religiously stick to. Some others don't. Don't see any need for standardization here.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

sureshvv wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 09:40 Many artistes already have their opening slokas (sathguru gajasya vani karuna makaranda) which they religiously stick to. Some others don't. Don't see any need for standardization here.
that's correct
Vijaya Siva - Sada Balarupapi
Suguna Varadachari - Gnyananada mayam devam
MSS - Om namah pranavarthaya
Seeta Naryanan - Sadashiva Samarambhaam......Vande Guru Paramparaam
etc.,
etc.,

RSR

Post by RSR »

sureshvv wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 09:40 Many artistes already have their opening slokas (sathguru gajasya vani karuna makaranda) which they religiously stick to. Some others don't. Don't see any need for standardization here.
That is a more decent response.
Can you really analyze the current crop of CM vocalists ( about 100, of both genders) and see if there are any confirmed atheists there? Not likely. May be hardly about 5% that too the hippie mod group. I am sure you can read plain English. I did not insist that Lord Ganesa should be invoked at the beginning. But as Sri.Sivaramakrishnan opines, why not?

गजाननं भूतगणादि सेवितं
कपित्थ जम्बूफलसार भक्षितम्
उमासुतं शोक विनाशकारणं
नमामि विघ्नेश्वर पादपङ्कजम् ॥

Lovely lines!
The greatness of Elephant is that for all its great strength, it is strict non-vegetarian.
http://greenmesg.org/stotras/ganesha/ga ... evitam.php
-------------------------
As for 'live and let live' stuff, it is not correct. Evil must be eradicated.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

RSR wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 13:10 As for 'live and let live' stuff, it is not correct. Evil must be eradicated.
And what happens when you are the "evil"?

vgovindan

Post by vgovindan »

Can we - rasikas - get out of this obsession as to what order and what content should be there in a concert, and allow the musician total freedom of presentation according to his heart's - her also - dictate?

There can be a sea change in the concert style if the rasikas go there with open mind and enjoy the presentation untainted by their preferences.

Pratyaksham Bala

Yes, there are a few who reverently opt for Shri Dakshinamurthy Stotram, composed by Shri Adi Shankaracharya :-

ॐ नमः प्रणवार्थाय शुद्धज्ञानैकमूर्तये।
निर्मलाय प्रशान्ताय दक्षिणामूर्तये नमः॥

Om namaH praNavArthAya shuddhajnAnaika mUrtayE ;
nirmalAya prashAntAya dakSiNAmUrtayE namaH .

Smt. M.S. Subbulakshmi -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfYWVACEDWU

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

vgovindan wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 15:56 Can we - rasikas - get out of this obsession as to what order and what content should be there in a concert, and allow the musician total freedom of presentation according to his heart's - her also - dictate?

There can be a sea change in the concert style if the rasikas go there with open mind and enjoy the presentation untainted by their preferences.
I think most of us are quite happy with the current "concert style". Sure, improvements are always possible but this "obsession with the order and content" is not going away anytime soon since that seems to be an integral part of what comprises a Carnatic music concert.

RSR

Post by RSR »

sureshvv wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 13:58
RSR wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 13:10 As for 'live and let live' stuff, it is not correct. Evil must be eradicated.
And what happens when you are the "evil"?
I would be very much worried if I am not considered 'evil' by the likes of you..
I have lived through the years in my schooldays, when people of your mindset made it a duty and ritual to do urinal abishekam on helpless vinayagar idols under 'arasa maram' a sacred tree in every tank bund. Shame.
Try to destroy me by facts and figures. if you have any. You cannot. You have just a stock of offensive oneline invectives, and thinking of yourself as a great stylist and 'humourist'.

RSR

Post by RSR »

A CM concert is meant to be an offering to the Almighty. and the audience also should have that mindset. It is not meant for acrobatics and irreverent behaviour ( like walking out during a concert) and chatting between themselves. Sri.VVSadagopan has written about the obnoxious audience culture in sabha concerts

Pratyaksham Bala

Shri N. Vijay Siva begins a concert with Shri Subrahmanya Bhujangam.

श्री सुब्रह्मण्य भुजङ्गम्
सदा बालरूपाऽपि विघ्नाद्रिहन्त्री महादन्तिवक्त्राऽपि पञ्चास्यमान्या ।
विधीन्द्रादिमृग्या गणेशाभिधा मे विधत्तां श्रियं काऽपि कल्याणमूर्तिः ॥१॥

Shri Subrahmanya Bhujangam
sadA bAlarUpA-pi vighnAdrihantrI mahAdantivaktrA-pi panjcAsyamAnyA ;
vidhIndrAdimrugyA ganEshAbhidhA me vidhttAM shriyaM kA-pi kalyANamUrtiH .

Shri N. Vijay Siva -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFAba2PSsys&t=168s

Pratyaksham Bala

And Vid. Seetha Narayanan invariably starts a concert with Shri Advaita Guru Parampara Stotram.

श्री अद्वैत गुरुपरम्परा स्तोत्रम्॥
सदाशिव समारम्भाम् शंकराचार्य मध्यमाम् ।
अस्मद् आचार्य पर्यन्ताम् वंदे गुरु परम्पराम् ॥

Shri Advaita Guru Parampara Stotram
sadAshiva samArambhAm shankarAcArya madhyamAm ;
asmad AcArya paryantAm vandE gugu paramparAm .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jhm62tfuwY

Pratyaksham Bala

As mentioned by HarishankarK in Post #21, Vid. Suguna Varadachari begins her concerts with Shri Hayagriva Stuti.

श्री हयग्रीव स्तुतिः -
ज्ञानानन्दमयं देवं निर्मलस्फटिकाकृतिं
आधारं सर्वविद्यानां हयग्रीवं उपास्महे

shrI hayagrIva stuti -
jnAnAnandamayam devam nirmala sphatikAkrutim
AdhAram sarva vidyAnAm hayagrIvam upAsmahe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rEpSDqTUuQ&t=399s

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

sureshvv wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 13:58 And what happens when you are the "evil"?
RSR wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 19:57 I would be very much worried if I am not considered 'evil' by the likes of you..
You are reading more into my words than I wrote or intended. My question was a hypothetical one

Just for the record, I don't think you are evil. And I am sure that the "likes of me", whoever you are imagining them to be, don't either. Mostly, you are just a harmless humorless bloke letting off steam on the internet.

But history has proven repeatedly that many who said "Evil must be eradicated" were too often the evil ones.

Pratyaksham Bala

In a concert, the invocation part may be a personal offering by the musician to the Almighty. The rest is for the audience, who may or may not pay full attention to the concert. And, each one may have a different mindset – not necessarily devotional.

arasi

Post by arasi »

PB,
Your patyaksham is appreciated :) I haven't had a chance to visit the forum the past few days. How music is being smothered by all the heaping helpings of things which take us away, far away from our appreciating it!
We need scaffolding to build anything--even a temple. But then, to call the scaffolding the magical thing we are after, rather than the very edifice!

Sureshvv,
When you get to be our age, I bet you are going to give up your one liners :lol:

Govindan,
I know how you feel :) Bhakthi is also being flogged about in the process. Then again, what do folks mean by bhakthi? :?

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

arasi wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 09:58 Sureshvv,
When you get to be our age, I bet you are going to give up your one liners :lol:
Hope I don't graduate to one worders :D

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Hopefully, Suresh will manage to preserve his sense of humour for another ten or twenty years. The signs are that he will :D

I,on the other hand, am having a hard job doing so at my age. At least... around this forum.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

A few points:

We have not seen any kind of consensus or even a coalescing of opinions on this matter.

We have already given total freedom to the musician. And some are even abusing it :D

Present format is more than just "invocation to the Lord at the beginning".

arasi

Post by arasi »

Harping on Good Humor...

Humor
Helps--
Heals
Hurts--
Focuses
Away
From
Self--
Settles
Feuds--
Simplifies
Life...:)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Being anything but a doddering old one worder (just imagine that!), all I could do was to come up with a one word a line verse, sureshvv :) Try it in hamsadhwani as a secular concert opener number ...??

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

vgovindan wrote: 31 May 2018, 18:18 RSR,

Kindly differentiate between a profession and faith.
This will be shown as a great example of Secularism - without going into the implications of it, even now in practice and the impact of using the term. I am willing concede some ground here by not considering it's history even. By acquiescing to that, we yield the view point or world view to somebody else , who says this and we become the "viewed".

During Mohd Rafi's generation, there were likely a Muslim Caste - integrated into the open architecture of the Indian civilization. And I don't know if you mean to say he really did not sing it , but did it only for profession. You are bringing in some faith. The core ideologues of his faith will not accept this - that is true. But why should we preclude the possibility that many like him lived outside the institutional framework.

In fact the word Secularism is used only because such ideologies exist which try to falsify one another. Then when we bridge across this conflict, the secularist grabs the narrative and becomes the broker or mediator! They are the sUtradhAris and we become the pAtradhAris!

In that vein of thinking, Brahminism is a profession. It only speaks "Bhakti" like you say some "attitude" that one carries along during "karma" and "gnana" phases. Has zilch to do with this Krishna bhakti movement! PuraNAs were told to young boys after upanayanam by their mothers.

After vyAkaraNa they read dharma Sastras and went into an intellectual realm.

So those who call themselves Brahmins {:cough:] should not be singing these songs either!!!!

Well by modern Hindusim, if we mean a certain approach which accommodates diverse traditions, without replacing one thing with another because the latter is found to be superior, then CM tradition has followed that in it's practice since golden era.

We have the oduvArs music in the form of viruttams , nicely accommodated, even if we cannot render kambhoji as weightily as them! Slokams can be seen in that regards. I am not going into the "Text" of these items , speaking of them only as musical experiences! So then their inclusion or exclusion in a concert becomes irrelevant in terms of what they are, or at least we transcend it.

Sometimes we have to consider the critique's eye - as one Atheist was seen asking: if "vEdanta" denied "vedAs" why keep reciting them , why not burn them. Well they [:cough:] did/do that elsewhere , not in this country!

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Looks like vgovindan deleted his post. With rasikas on mobile, sometimes nothing escapes. ;)

Even according to rasa principles, in nAtya for example, if someone enacts nRsimha avatar, they are not expected to perform that act of tearing apart, only to show it! So they cannot really feel the raudra of nRsimha.

In musical renditions, the performer attempts to demonstrate his sAdhana, and if extra things get discovered by chance, that is bonus. That the emoting is there intentionally or unintentionally, does not say anything about what they feel inside. I don't think if they are consumed by the actual import of the song that they can even do an effective rendition.

So a Sloka rendition is a paddhati some musicians follow. Depends on the influence of their guru in formulating certain methods may be. If that is absent, we cannot conclude from that , can we , that there is no devotion. I am not individualizing it - sense of devotion is still shared cultural experience.

sankark

Post by sankark »

RSR wrote: 31 May 2018, 23:10 For the last one hundred years, Carnatic vocalists, have been practitioners of Music as a means of self-realization and mystical experience.
Need immediate medical assistance for having had the misfortune of pulling a mucle/sprain. Though it was somewhat self induced - I was ROTFL very hard.

vgovindan

Post by vgovindan »

shankarank,
At times, the discussion here meanders purposelessly and far beyond the scope of the subject. I did not want to fuel it further. Therefore, I deleted my post.

RSR

Post by RSR »

@44-> deleted
Last edited by RSR on 04 Jun 2018, 11:33, edited 1 time in total.

RSR

Post by RSR »

@45-> deleted
Last edited by RSR on 04 Jun 2018, 11:34, edited 1 time in total.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

sureshvv wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 22:16 But history has proven repeatedly that many who said "Evil must be eradicated" were too often the evil ones.
RSR wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 21:09 Does it apply to the Mahabaratha War and its message?
You really don't need to go that far back into history for examples.
I do have a sense of humour but not like yours.
see my site at
https://sites.google.com/site/pgwodehousebooks/
Will take your word for it. No time for research on the subject, unfortunately old chap :D

RSR

Post by RSR »

deleted
Last edited by RSR on 04 Jun 2018, 11:32, edited 1 time in total.

Pratyaksham Bala

What a change !
From paragraphs to phrases !

sankark:
Don't fall into the trap again !

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Decorum please! We have strayed far from the topic and we are now into tit for tat mud slinging.

If there is not much to add to the topic, let us do a soft close. I hate to lock the thread..( this is not a TMK thread after all )

RSR

Post by RSR »

vasanthakokilam wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 07:24 Decorum please! We have strayed far from the topic and we are now into tit for tat mud slinging.

If there is not much to add to the topic, let us do a soft close. I hate to lock the thread..( this is not a TMK thread after all )
Yes, Sir. Removing the posts