Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
ajaysimha

Clarifications on Oothukadu Venkatakavi Sahithyams

Post by ajaysimha »

Hi Rasikas,

As i was more fascinated by OVK Sahithyams, I started an R&D on same ,
came across few doubts, and request forum to clarify a few:

Topic1: Sholkattus
while listining to the various OVK compositions, i had a doubt about Sholkattus in his works

1.Whether OVK himself incorporate the Sholkattus with the Sahithyams in his compositions ?
<OR>
2.natuvangam vidwans popularized in their way by adding Sholkattus in those days?
<OR>
3.Needamangalam Krishnamurthy bhagavathar added to this as he was very good at kunnukool?
(NKB was good at kunnukool, as said by there disciples subbaraman and alamelu)

Topic2: Kalinga Narthanam
referring to Kalinga Narthanam By NKB

he calls it as Kalinga Narthana Jathi
and aruna sairam calls it as Kalinga Narthana Thillana
1.is it a krithi or Jathi or a thillana ?? what kind of composition is it ??
2.there are 2 versions of lyrics available for Kalinga Narthanam on karnatic.org (which one is authentic?)
3.what is the first hand reference of Kalinga Narthanam in OVK's works/books
4.could anybody point to Kalinga Narthanam in venkatakavi.org

Topic3: Thillanas
how may thillanas of OVK are available till date?
(i have heard the ones in sindhubhairavi, surati, cenjuruti)
if any others are available could you post audio/video links

Topic4: Mallaris
In one of Needamangalam alamelu's discourse i have heard that the poet has composed many mallari
(influenced by nagaswara vidwans at those times)
any lyrics or audios available of mallaris??
Observation:popular krithi Sri Vighnarajam Bhajae resembles a mallari
Aruna Sairam also sings a mallari "03 - tha_DhIm_thOm - gambhIranAta", is it OVK's creation ?
<http://www.sangeethamshare.org/manjunat ... Na_sAirAm/>

Topic5: Abhangs
As OVK was influnced by maratha culture , he also has composed a few abhangs
any lyrics or audios available of abhangs??
1.i have heard aparam-na-janami is it an OVK abhang??
<http://www.venkatakavi.org/ovk/lyrics/7 ... anami.html>

HarishankarK

Re: Clarifications on Oothukadu Venkatakavi Sahithyams

Post by HarishankarK »

aparam-na-janami is not Abhang - no Marathi words here and it is only Sanskrit
It is OVK sahityam

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

These questions are best answered by CM's OVK expert Chitravina Ravikiran. Hope he sees this topic.
Tha kALinga nartana composition is probably considered to be a tillAnA. On the Venkatakavi website no tillAnAs are listed. The other three tillAnAs are already mentioned.
There may be other songs that have not been located. In one of the Lec-Dem videos, Ravikiran sings a couple of lines of the song mithilAdhipa suta which is also not yet listed on the website.

chitravina ravikiran

Post by chitravina ravikiran »

To add to some of the earlier replies:

OVK's solkattus are definitely his own from all available evidence. www.venkatakavi.org has plenty of info on his brilliance in this aspect as also my book, "OVK Life and Contributions" not to mention lec-dems where I have touched upon this at length.

I have heard OVK sishya parampara refer to the Kalinga Nartana piece as a Natangam - and it remains the only major example of a piece that includes lyrics, jatis with and without music (probably the world's first rap-style piece)! I have an impactful audio of a concert of Shri NKB where he has rendered this with breathless speed and phenomenol control but I don't know how to upload it here (if anyone else does, I can share over email/whatsapp). Though it is rendered often in concerts, I don't believe that these were intended for music concerts by the composer - probably more for Operas/musical discourses/dance performances.

Research has shown that OVK's primary signature itself was references to Kalinga nartana, seen in hundreds of songs in a variety of creative ways (bhujaga natana, kaleeya natana, kaleeya phana pada nyasam etc). Only in 4-5 we see the word, Venkata Kavi.

So far I have only seen about 3 tillanas and no mallari. Though lots of songs in Gambheeranattai/Nattai are there, none of them can be considered a mallari.

ajaysimha

Post by ajaysimha »

thanks so much @chitravina ravikiran ji for your valuable inputs on the topics.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

chitravina ravikiran wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 08:18 To add to some of the earlier replies:

OVK's solkattus are definitely his own from all available evidence. www.venkatakavi.org has plenty of info on his brilliance in this aspect as also my book, "OVK Life and Contributions" not to mention lec-dems where I have touched upon this at length.

I have heard OVK sishya parampara refer to the Kalinga Nartana piece as a Natangam - and it remains the only major example of a piece that includes lyrics, jatis with and without music (probably the world's first rap-style piece)! I have an impactful audio of a concert of Shri NKB where he has rendered this with breathless speed and phenomenol control but I don't know how to upload it here (if anyone else does, I can share over email/whatsapp). Though it is rendered often in concerts, I don't believe that these were intended for music concerts by the composer - probably more for Operas/musical discourses/dance performances.

Research has shown that OVK's primary signature itself was references to Kalinga nartana, seen in hundreds of songs in a variety of creative ways (bhujaga natana, kaleeya natana, kaleeya phana pada nyasam etc). Only in 4-5 we see the word, Venkata Kavi.

So far I have only seen about 3 tillanas and no mallari. Though lots of songs in Gambheeranattai/Nattai are there, none of them can be considered a mallari.
So good of Sri Ravikiran to provide clarity on this - not to mention his monumental and tremendous ongoing achievement in bringing to life the prolific compositions of Sri OVK.

ajaysimha

Post by ajaysimha »

I have heard that Venkatakavi had composed a few songs in Marathi.
Are those compositions available ?

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

chitravina ravikiran wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 08:18 I have an impactful audio of a concert of Shri NKB where he has rendered this with breathless speed and phenomenol control but I don't know how to upload it here (if anyone else does, I can share over email/whatsapp).
Hi Ravikiran ji

Could you please upload in youtube and provide the link here? Cannot wait to hear this NBK Mama's version.

Thank you,
Harish