SINGING KALPANASWARAS WITHIN A COUPLE OF MONTHS

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
msakella

SINGING KALPANASWARAS WITHIN A COUPLE OF MONTHS

Post by msakella »

Basing upon many experiments in this respect I very sincerely and honestly feel that the very entrance to the so called Manodharma Sangita (named around 1940 only) is the ability in singing both the creative and mathematical Swarakalpana in the popular six Talas, Khanda-chapu, Chapu, Rupaka, Adi (Tisra-gati), Adi (medium-tempo) and Adi (slow-tempo) which is very easily and very quickly possible to acquire to the kids of younger age hardly within a couple of months even before learning the Kritis. Only the kids who can sing both the Purvanga and Uttaranga of the Varnas in the Ragas Kalyani and Todi both in Chaturashra and Trisra-gatis @ 4-6-8 notes per second are eligibile to learn this.

In the process of learning either by Skype or WhartsApp or phone I will not sing for more than 5% in any of the classes but the kids have to very regularly work hard as per the instructions of the Teacher for more than three hours daily. Interested persons can contact my mobile number 9908822992. amsharma

HarishankarK

Re: SINGING KALPANASWARAS WITHIN A COUPLE OF MONTHS

Post by HarishankarK »

Hi

This is very tempting but honest feedback is that it is hard for kids these days to practise for three hours every day. They have other activities to do as well.
We are not in the 1920s or even the 1970s any more. Musical pursuit should not be done by kids at the expense of sacrificing everything else. In today's world it can lead to frustration and hatred for the art itself. One hour per day shd be more realistic.

Also one more query - is this teaching available only for kids - what about adults /seniors who are in varnam or krithi learning phase - can they also be trained to benefit from this.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

You can do virtually nothing with one hour per day of work in music. But you might become a rasika down the road.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, HarishankarK, I feel very sorry to absolutely disagree with you in this regard as per my lengthy experiences which absolutely differ with yours.

Firstly and presently, since many years, each and everybody is well acquainted with the highly illogical, wantonly elongated with an ulterior motive and old methods of teaching our music by all the so called legendary performers under the guise of honourable-music-teachers keeping the aspirants for years and hours together daily following in singing along with them under the guise of so called ‘Gurukulam’. As a regular employee and as professional music-teacher in a Govt. music Institution, only by the grace of the Almighty, I could locate all these illogical methods in teaching and strived to bring out a very highly disciplined and logical method of learning (not teaching) by which the kids can very well finish-off learning the basic intricacies of rhythm and note by learning up to 9 select Varnas only but without learning even a single Kriti hardly within an year mostly working on their own and with the barest minimum inference of the so called teacher (cheater). In this process as the teacher I never sing Sa or Pa even once in any of the music-classes and I always prefer to initiate (do not teach) kids only under the age of 15 only as they all are clean-slates while learning things very quickly and efficiently on their own but not the elders at all (in any music college or University, unlike in any other Department, most of the music-students are above 30s and up to even 80s like the aged widowers always ready to marry and spoil another kid and unless they are somehow restricted to enter these institutions our kids can never prosper in music at all). And, very particularly, I, unlike any other music-teacher, start with the intricate rhythmical exercises in properly stabilising his/her rhythmical abilities both in Chaturashra and Trisra-gatis and I never encourage any aspirant who cannot manage with Trisra-gati. Even in our music-institution, Swarabhangima at Secunderabad each and every kid of the 60+ regularly school-going kids very regularly working for more than 3 hours daily is very efficient both in Chaturashra and Trisra-gatis unlike in any of the music-colleges or Music Departments of Universities in our country.

Secondly, right from the first day of the music-lesson, if an efficient and honest music-teacher properly equips the aspirant with the intricacies of rhythm and note and pushes him/her to proceed further and further relying upon the metronome, key-board, notations, audio and video-files of the lesson very regularly working on his/her own properly utilising his/her own instinctive talents he/she, as per my umpteen experiments, can very certainly finish-off singing Svarakalpana and Ragalapana hardly within an year. Since last more than 10 years I have been training my kids in this manner and you may refer the chronological order of events of my kids in the link, https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... Bwfx1O_rLu and the respective posts from No. 554 onwards (please read them all patiently) of http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic ... 91#p314391 along with other videos of our kids in the youtube.

In this kind of process of independent working and learning on their own, which you cannot understand at all, all the kids very much relish the regular practice for more than 3 hours daily though not continuously but partly together. amsharma

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

msakella wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 09:11... the so called teacher (cheater) ...
Oh! Not again !
Hope this is not the beginning of another round of invective posts.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

SrinathK wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 13:06 You can do virtually nothing with one hour per day of work in music. But you might become a rasika down the road.
If you do nothing you get nothing - if you do an hour of practise every day then you get the benefit of that practise definitely. That is much better than just going to class and then forgetting to practise at all at home.

One hour of regular practice every day consistently from the age of 7-8 years for a boy or girl can definitely help the child to become a good musician by the age of 12-14.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Pratyaksham Bala wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 10:18
msakella wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 09:11... the so called teacher (cheater) ...
Oh! Not again !
Hope this is not the beginning of another round of invective posts.
To be fair, Akella garu is in his 80s, so this internet culture is not really for that generation. It's much better if you know him in person.

Better we overlook that and see the work he's doing. His ideas have helped me overcome my issues with laya and broke my barrier in understanding manodharma.
HarishankarK wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 12:04
SrinathK wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 13:06 You can do virtually nothing with one hour per day of work in music. But you might become a rasika down the road.
If you do nothing you get nothing - if you do an hour of practise every day then you get the benefit of that practise definitely. That is much better than just going to class and then forgetting to practise at all at home.

One hour of regular practice every day consistently from the age of 7-8 years for a boy or girl can definitely help the child to become a good musician by the age of 12-14.
I'm still not convinced. Yes, 1 hour is definitely better than nothing, but 2 hours of practice and about 1 hour at class is a minimum (with some days scheduled to rest the voice) for a vocalist seeking to be a competent performer. A musician need to practice for shruti, laya, tone, vocal range, scales, varnams, krithis, etc., raga alapana, gamakas, neraval, tanam, kalpanaswaras, shloka singing, RTP, full length concerts, and the like. Ok, you need not have all this in the beginning, but the requirements will only keep on increasing.

Instrumentalists need more work. If you're saddled with a demanding mistress like the violin for e.g., they have to work hardest of all. Do you know just how much work only the bow involves? Don't attend to her for 2 days, she'll not co-operate.

It's the difference between just about adequate and very good I'm talking about.
Last edited by SrinathK on 06 Jun 2018, 15:36, edited 4 times in total.

sankark

Post by sankark »

HarishankarK wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 12:04

Think of that 1 hour as gateway drug. If the student gets pulled in it will become 2,3,4 hours automatically or consume hir 24x7 totally if that is hir calling. Separating the amateur from professional from outstanding. Prodigies/Outliers exempted.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Sing last more than 10 years, only by the grace of the Almighty, having found an unique system of learning our music, I have very efficiently been initiating our kids, even without singing Sa or Pa even once in any of the music-classes, in learning our music in this system only helping them save their invaluable time, energy and money and many of the respective videos are kept in ‘youtube.com/user/msakella’ for reference, if needed. In my extensive research in this respect it has very well been proved, beyond any doubt, that the person who mostly initiates the aspirant either in driving the cycle or cooking or in learning our music is the true teacher and otherwise is the true cheater.

Just to escape from the responsibility of inculcating the knowledge of the music-grammar like singing the creative Svarakalpana or Ragalapana etc., in the aspirant, also to always keep the aspirant dependent upon the teacher perennially and also to conveniently elongate the process of teaching (not learning) for many years to come the present illogical system of teaching music has been formulated, followed and implemented since a very long time by the so called legendary performers of music and very blindly followed by all others.

By removing all these IL logicalities of the old system and by making it very strictly logical the system of learning music has very well been quickened reasonably and the aspirants learning in this novel system are able to sing even the creative Svarakalpana and Ragalapana hardly within a year even before learning the first Kriti (I shall certainly bow down to any music-teacher in Chennai who does so). Thus, while the criterion in the old system has been to teach a number of items or compositions only for many years to come the criterion in this unique modern system of learning is to initiate the kid sing the items of music-grammar like Svarakalpana or Ragalapana etc., working and learning at his/her home on his/her own independently in a ‘time-bound and result-oriented’ plan of action.

But, in this unique system, as the teacher himself/herself is needed to have the ability to deal with both the Chaturashra and Trisra-gatis efficiently and also this leads to the financial loss of the teacher in quickening the process of learning the efficient and honest teachers only are preferring to follow this and the inefficient, dis-honest, greedy and highly selfish teachers (cheaters) are preferring the old system only. amsharma

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

msakella wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 13:49
... the inefficient, dis-honest, greedy and highly selfish teachers (cheaters) are preferring the old system only.
Tiresome repetition of self-promoting material, with the usual dose of abuses.