RTP in minor raga

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
kvchellappa

RTP in minor raga

Post by kvchellappa »

A frontline musician sings RTP in Dhenuka and another prominent musician gets a 'wow' feeling:
(from FB)

Radha Bhaskar

The infinite imaginative power of the mind can never ever be truly comprehended and that was evident in Abhishek Raghuram's RTP concert yesterday for Carnatica. While we talk about Rakthi ragas as having vast scope for expansion as against minor ragas, the whole theory was made questionable through his exploration of Dhenuka for RTP. This raga is very tricky to handle - with two giants Todi & Sindhubhairavi cornering it from all sides! So, it is indeed a challenge to present it elaborately beyond its scale, without tresspassing into the domain of the mentioned ragas. Abhishek did this in a spell -binding way & kept the audience totally mesmerized about its abundant possibilities. The way he traversed through the notes with such ease & deftnes, offering innumerable breathtaking permutation combinations of not just the notes but their intricate tones as well, is what set him a class apart. It totally shattered my notion about the miniscule nature of Dhenuka & opened up such vast vistas ! It dawned to me that all our ragas are big and grand and defining a raga as small & having limited scope is actually more about defining our own limitations!
The musician truly made the music stand tall and every musical statement of his seemed to say- "our great Karnatic music is an eternal journey of discovery. Seek & you shall discover the most precious, fascinating, astounding, thrilling & unexpected things in it!"

srikant1987

Re: RTP in minor raga

Post by srikant1987 »

Was it shubhapantuvarALi or sindhubhairavi?

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

I think she meant sindhubhairavi only.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

The other day heard Simhavahini alaap of T M Krishna on youtube and I thought it was more like Sarasangi or even flashes of Nalinakanthi came in between - I felt that - not sure if he mean't to bring those things.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

It is a Janya raga of the same family - so some of it is unavoidable. Do you have the url?

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

https://youtu.be/tDaCYam087k

Not an alap though..

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

I still remember a dhenuka RTP by Sri Ravikiran at IITM music club. And it was impromptu. He was playing a concert and after the tani, while he was looking around, someone from the gallery asked him to play a pallavi and he started off with dhenuka in a moment. It was a wonderful pallavi.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Ranganayaki wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 12:21 https://youtu.be/tDaCYam087k

Not an alap though..
Thank you. Good enough!

Like Mama said, TMK kuchery is like a box of chocolate :D

arasi

Post by arasi »

Which MAma? Never mind, a chocolate to him as well. I enjoyed listening to it too :)

harimau

Post by harimau »

arasi wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 18:17 Which MAma? Never mind, a chocolate to him as well. I enjoyed listening to it too :)
Gump Mama!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Mmm. Gumpu in kannaDa means crowd (as gumbal in tamizh). A gentleman from the crowds?