Very much deserving.
Congratulations !
Thanjavooran
06 07 2018

gajaa

Re: Special award for Sri T H Vianayakram

Post by gajaa »

Super deserving of course!
Perhaps the academy was thinking - let’s give this award this year before announcing the SK awardee, lest ppl start talking about how senior artistes are ignored when it comes to SK.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

This award is usually given to artists who should have got kalanidhi, but were missed in time.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

I have no idea of dancer kamala and her contributions. For mahavidwan LGJ ,history is that he felt he got it much later and he refused , possibly as an institution it was a bit of pavamannipu award given during the life time of LGJ to kind of negate a bit of reputation risk for academy. Vikku is just 76 years young atleast 6 years younger than papanasam sivan who got when he was 82 years old. I guess for shri vikku he can still be given as he is eligible but that is what it is (But how many are immediately waiting Haridwaramangalm Palanivel, OST and Aruna as WL 1 contenders). This LifeTime Award is a doosara that cannot be that easily explained, but still the vidwat sabhai is giving it. Kudos to the great great vidwan . For supposition sake , if say mahavidwan TRS mama who got sangeetha kala acharya had say gotten also a life time achievement award in 2010 or 2011, in my age 70's i would say there are many who only got sk , but only TRS and LGJ got Life time award .

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

Smt Kamala is a dancer and singer and is the person who was famous in the cinema fraternity as kumari Kamala. She was a contemporary to Bala and I am told was an equally deserving musician and dancer.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

Further, IMHO age is not a criteria for kalanidhi.
Academy awards are not so easily deciphered.

One thing is certain, academy awards artists only once. Either kalanidhi or acharya. Not both

uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

rbharath wrote: 07 Jul 2018, 23:51 Further, IMHO age is not a criteria for kalanidhi.

One thing is certain, academy awards artists only once. Either kalanidhi or acharya. Not both
From what little I know Vikku has been considered many times these last few years... but the MA hiccuped each time... perhaps because he was called "Vikku" ?

Needless to say delighted... If it's Shri Palanivel for SK, it's a double whammo for percussion this year... that too for the less recognized percussion arts... I don't believe any other ghatam artist or thavil artist has been awarded SK.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

uday_shankar wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 02:06 I don't believe any other ghatam artist or thavil artist has been awarded SK.
Uday
Yellow Card for you. Thavil artist Valayapatti subramaniam got SK in 2009.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

uday_shankar wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 02:06
rbharath wrote: 07 Jul 2018, 23:51 Further, IMHO age is not a criteria for kalanidhi.

From what little I know Vikku has been considered many times these last few years... but the MA hiccuped each time... perhaps because he was called "Vikku" ?

Needless to say delighted... If it's Shri Palanivel for SK, it's a double whammo for percussion this year... that too for the less recognized percussion arts... I don't believe any other ghatam artist or thavil artist has been awarded SK.
in fact, i have a feeling that Sri Vinayakaram is being awarded here only to clear out people who still have been lobbying for a SK for him. He did Acharya two dozen years ago.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

and that would clear the route for Sri Palanivel this year.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

another information for you rajesh, Sangeetha kala acharya Smt. Rhadha is the younger sister of Smt. Kamala (kumari kamala).