Which instrument is quicker and easier to learn for carnatic

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
SrinathK

Re: Which instrument is quicker and easier to learn for carnatic

Post by SrinathK »

Actually with the knowledge and teaching techniques we have today, it is very well possible for a kid who has been well trained and has good grasp to do a proper arangetram in 3 years. It is true for a lot of the big musicians we know.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

You may take the horse to water, but what if it doesn't drink? Buy an instrument with a good resale value! And realise that forcing it on the child might put him off music for life.

I think that all the caveats should be headed, but not to overdo the pessimism. See it as giving the child an opportunity. He may take to it or he may not. He may get far, or he may, like me as a child of forty, thoroughly enjoy getting a little way, then shy away from the challenge of getting further. Any exposure to music is good.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

SrinathK wrote: 03 Oct 2018, 09:48Music almost always chooses them.
Rather like the wands at Ollivander’s? :D

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Harishankar might not have imagined his simple query would attract such a huge response from the forumites.
I thought I must add that if the parents / student is serious about Carnatic music, Piano might not be a good option.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

rshankar wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 02:20
SrinathK wrote: 03 Oct 2018, 09:48Music almost always chooses them.
Rather like the wands at Ollivander’s? :D
That's an understatement. Some people are literally born with their anatomy optimized for playing an instrument like the mridangam or the violin.

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

Ah Srikanth!

That anatomy is a different branch of research. Body search before accepting a student. Just kidding !

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

ganesh_mourthy wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 13:45Body search before accepting a student. Just kidding !
The ABT does exactly that - assessing body proportions and flexibility prior to accepting 6 year-olds for initiating ballet classes: but all the children are interested in ballet.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Sivaramakrishnan wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 12:49 Harishankar might not have imagined his simple query would attract such a huge response from the forumites.
I have been a member of this forum enough nunber of years -so will never underestimate it

sankark

Post by sankark »

HarishankarK wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 06:03 this on behalf of my friend for his 8 year old boy. This family has no idea about classical music but my friend wants his son to lear some instrument l
Er, have the parents started to listen and create an environ that is CM rich to Kindle the interest of their ward?

RasikasModerator2

Post by RasikasModerator2 »

ganesh_mourthy wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 12:01 Mr. mobilemusic

Thank you for the long information, but it could be confusing to people not enough techsavvy. I think people Like Srikanth can get a quick grasp of it. We are old.

Could you help me understand better if there is anything as close to geoshred in android . I gave up on ipad and the iphone is too small to play anything at all.

GM
The user MobileMusic was spamming and has been banned.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Nick H wrote: 03 Oct 2018, 14:01 You may take the horse to water, but what if it doesn't drink? Buy an instrument with a good resale value! And realise that forcing it on the child might put him off music for life.

I think that all the caveats should be headed, but not to overdo the pessimism. See it as giving the child an opportunity. He may take to it or he may not. He may get far, or he may, like me as a child of forty, thoroughly enjoy getting a little way, then shy away from the challenge of getting further. Any exposure to music is good.