Music and change

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
vgovindan

Re: Music and change

Post by vgovindan »

In spite of my protestations otherwise, I could not give up. There is a tyAgarAja kRti - anurAgamu lEni - sarasvati. Let the musicians take a basic lesson in that 'anurAga'; then their whole approach will be different. anurAga not as some religious fervour, but attitudinal approach.

http://thyagaraja-vaibhavam.blogspot.co ... a.html?m=1

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

vgovindan wrote: 24 Oct 2018, 06:44
I have given up.

Giving up is also a form of ego. Better to go with the flow :D

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Giving up is 'I go', not 'E go'!

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

I have given up.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 0465234462
My teacher used to refer to this type of chanting as "kalpita " addition later on! There are a lot of such additions after the Aagamic traditions were added into vEdic culture!

You are again mistaking laya to be periodic beat rap! Real laya stems from "sAmA" a good distribution of dhIRga / hrasva syllables.
Last edited by shankarank on 25 Oct 2018, 06:38, edited 1 time in total.

thenpaanan

Post by thenpaanan »

Music is not an intellectual exercise - it is communication - heart-speak, at least for me. I don't have any means to actually demonstrate it but can 'feel' it. That feeling - 'nAdAnubhava' happens when one's heart is saturated with, or at least has the awareness of love - the binding force of this universe.
Love is what made the difference between viSwAmitra the rAjarishi and the brahmarishi. Analogously there is a difference between music that is about "look at all that I can do" and music that is about "this is what I feel". We have an abundance of the former in CM and (much) less of the latter.
I have given up.
You, Sir, are one of a handful of reasons I completely revamped by approach to CM. I hope this was just a shot fired in anger, nothing more.

-T

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

This tradition vs change conundrum can be cast into a framework of the much fashionable freedom of expression (FOE) or more extremely the "right to be heard". The traditional part is about giving that right to the ancestors, and the change part is about giving that right to one's own hard work and sAdhana.

So you can view it as expanded human rights - just not limited to the currently functioning bodies!

Finally we also include things beyond our human sphere if we can get to it.

To keep questioning whether things are same as before is obsessing with history! But then if we tout the abstract art music, we should then bring all faculties into that line of inquiry - not just the parts we think are relevant or we think that is music!

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Funny I saw this. But change still happens even if people don't want to change!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DqGzhRHUwAUftTF.jpg

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

But, is it not here that musicians want change and rasikas (some) do not want them to change?

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Yes you could reverse the cartoon. rasikas change every way to accommodate to the demands of the new lifestyle - they only want musicians not to change!