Preconceptions of Hindustani fraternity about Carnatic music

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
bhargavramks

Preconceptions of Hindustani fraternity about Carnatic music

Post by bhargavramks »

Recently I came across a video. Please watch this video from 1:12:40 to 1:16:00
https://youtu.be/ouiWrQ-7vj8
The vudushi opines that there is no improvisation in carnatic beyond fast kalpanaswaras, comparing it with sargams and taans of hindustani music.
What about neraval , taanam and alapanas?
I wonder if more from the Hindustani fraternity share the same preconceptions about Carnatic.

uday_shankar

Re: Preconceptions of Hindustani fraternity about Carnatic music

Post by uday_shankar »

She's just talking some nonsense, pay no heed !
But similar nonsense about HM is also talked about in CM circles, again pay no heed !

In fact there are two other kinds of nonsense: about CM in CM circles, about HM in HM circles.

All in all, lots of nonsense :). Have a good laugh.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Never mind, there was this concert where the vidwan was singing a superb Bhairavi and a rasika next to me was fuming "edo bhairavi peyar la pAdrar, engayium bhairavi oda swaroopam theriya ve illa" (Something he is singing in the name of bhairavi, can't see bhairavi's form anywhere) -- from this itself it was rather clear he knew nothing about it. And you will find a lot of people like that.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

I feel musicians are quite capable of stumbling when they start to analyse and label others' music or skills as good and bad. Often it is better if they stick to giving us music.

However the baithak with Kala Ramnath (referred earlier by me in another thread soon after that baithak took place) was impressive for me. She played brilliantly and very much hinted that south Indian artistes gave a big boost to violin playing to Hindustani music.