The best thing that happened to CM in 2018:

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
Sachi_R

The best thing that happened to CM in 2018:

Post by Sachi_R »

(click to play)

Dear friends,
The year is drawing to a close. You guys are savouring the last of the desserts in Chennai and elsewhere.

Here is my answer to the question what's the best thing that happened to Carnatic music this year:

The coming together of the wizard of the flute, Shruthisagar, with the volcanic vocalist, Abhishek Raghuram, and the magical mridangist, Anantha R. Krishnan.

What a threesome! 👏👏👏

I feel, given the right setting, these musicians can take us on a musical journey to the moon... The Chandra mentioned in Chandrachooda here!

What's your take on the greatest thing in 2018!?

sureshvv

Re: The best thing that happened to CM in 2018:

Post by sureshvv »

Video not playing

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

They seem to have moved it overnight. Sorry.
Here are two alternative links:
https://www.facebook.com/Abhishekraghur ... 571236418/

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RAM4dGicEwHCpL3j8

ratanabhinav

Post by ratanabhinav »

Smt R Vedavalli getting the Sangeet Natak Academy fellowship .

ramamatya

Post by ramamatya »

#metoo

bhargavramks

Post by bhargavramks »

It is indeed the #MeToo revelations

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

We must not get into this, or the mods will jump on us as the policy is clearly stated, but let me just say mettoo = dampsquid. Fizzled out and being forgotten.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

I agree. #MeToo won't go away, but will remain a smouldering thing. Its also scary how Tamil and Kannada women from the film industry who spoke up have been targeted and professionally hurt badly in the last couple of months. May be things will become better: women/men won't be easy targets and predators will behave better.

But in CM itself, what's the best memory of 2018?

By the way the celebrated Sydney Harbour fireworks display (I lived in Sydney for 3 years) goofed up, showing 2018 instead of 2019😀

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Metoo. We ought to see if metoo and the associated sexual harassment committee has any long term impact in the small village of the CM world. It must have got a lot of people talking and discussing a lot in private. In the particular case of CM it was not a bunch of random bombs thrown out of nowhere by a few disgruntled cases, but it turns out everyone knew everything the whole time and it finally gained critical mass and blew up. Hopefully this will change something at least professionally.

With music so sublime and talents so phenomenal, why do humans try to do everything they can to make themselves and others so miserable?

narayan

Post by narayan »

Nick H wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 13:49 dampsquid.
Small nitpick. Isn't it damp squib?

When I checked to make sure, it said it is the top misquote, on some list or other.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

narayan wrote: 07 Jan 2019, 18:38
Nick H wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 13:49 dampsquid.
Small nitpick. Isn't it damp squib?
Of course it is... and I can't believe I actually typed that :lol:

For much of my life, I was puzzled, because a squid lives in the sea, so why should it be wrong for it to be damp? I cannot remember when the big Doh!-fist hit me from the sky: was it google? Could it even have been actual print? But I did find out that, all along, I should have been talking about squibs, not squids. And I did know that a squib is a kind of firework, which is not going to work well if it moist.

Thanks for catching me out :)

deepajyoti

Post by deepajyoti »

I sure hope this becomes a "thing". Time to end the violin's monopoly on the right (or left) end of the stage?! Let the flute at least be a worthy contender.

Sachi_R wrote: 28 Dec 2018, 04:45
The coming together of the wizard of the flute, Shruthisagar, with the volcanic vocalist, Abhishek Raghuram, and the magical mridangist, Anantha R. Krishnan.

deepajyoti

Post by deepajyoti »

Ranjani-Gayathri's lecdem on "leveraging Tukkadas" and the proposal to replace Tukkada with a different name.
Their thesis - with the "tukkada" section offering such a grand range of options and also offering potential for manodharma in the form of virutthams or the "taans" they perform for Abhangs, it is a misnomer.

Any suggestions for an alternate name for this part of the concert?

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Dessert. In Samskrita it is called
Madhuram.

There was a whole thread some years ago on this, started by Sri KNV (son of Sri KVN) :
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26728