The very first time I heard this raga...

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
sureshvv

The very first time I heard this raga...

Post by sureshvv »

The very first time I heard a natabhairavi alapana was from OST in Sastry hall. I was absolutely sure it was Shanmugapriya :D

shankarank

Re: The very first time I heard this raga...

Post by shankarank »

If you do Alapana it will be half Shanmugapriya. If you sing a song, it will be half karaharapriya , and once you start landing and pausing ( where a real rAgA speaks!) it will be bhairavi!

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

I've never been able to get a handle on this raga, I keep Sivan's Sri Vallidevasenapathe as a reference [DKJ version], and if the alapana / song fits within that framework then I kind of assume it is Natabhairavi without being 100% sure till something / someone confirms.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

The first time I head this was when Radha Jayalakshmi sang Sri Valli Devasenapate. That is the gold standard.

For me Nata Bhairavi is the younger and a bit shorter sister of Kiravani, who is the family pride and has a shelf full of medals from Badminton to Bollywood Gaana to Bharatnatyam.
Nata Bhairavi has a preference for theatre, but you couldn't tell seeing how she remains silent at the dinner table. But when she won the Theatre Competition medal as the best protagonist, the judges said she was able to display a keen understanding of human nature and body language. The loudest applause in the audience came from her doting big sister Kiravani.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

All its janya ragas (saramathy, marga hindolam, amirthavahini) have a very definite flavor imparted by Nata bhairavi.

arasi

Post by arasi »

To me, if shaNmukhapriya is pathos, natabhairavi is that too, with gAmbhIrya. kIravANi's personality is much more --emotive as well, but more intricate, with her own personality. I heard naTabhairavi first from DKP and loved it--a unique shaNmukhapriya, I thought then!

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

The very first time I heard a Nattaikurinji alapana was by Ashok Ramani at the Sringeri Vidyashram during their Navarathri series. Ashok Ramani has a very methodological approach to raga delineation. I thought it was a weird mixture of khamas and Vasantha.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Suresh
Your early forays into identifying ragas remind me of a doctor who began practising and saying, "wow, this disease sure looks like a weird mixture of jaundice and tonsillitis." 😀😀😀

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Which disease was that? Sounds pretty deadly :D

Wait till you hear the next one!

The very first time I heard a Malayamarutham alapana was by Lakshmi Rangarajan at Mylapore Fine Arts during the 1997 season. It sounded like a doleful but sultry Kharaharapriya and I could not get it off my mind. I did not learn the name of the raga then and it took me many months to find out what it was.

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

if u think u are confused between begada and bhageshree, which only means your appreciation and delineation is extra terrestrial level . That can be mixture of pleacebo and metastasis.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

ganesh_mourthy wrote: 12 Jan 2019, 14:43pleacebo
Is that a pleasant placebo? The opposite of nocebo? 😜

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

sureshvv wrote: 10 Jan 2019, 22:15 All its janya ragas (saramathy, marga hindolam, amirthavahini) have a very definite flavor imparted by Nata bhairavi.
She has imparted everything to everyone else including the solpa nayam she has. She has to take a walk. Hence she is called naTa(naDa) bhairavi.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Sanjay S mentioned long ago that Trichur Ramachandran sang a great natabhairavi RTP.
There are some natabharaivi RTP recordings of his available on Sangeethapriya

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

RTP in Natabhairavi by Vid. TRS!

(another item in the concert has been wrongly named in the text as Sriranjani but it is actually Abhogi 🙃)

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

ganesh_mourthy wrote: 12 Jan 2019, 14:43 if u think u are confused between begada and bhageshree, which only means your appreciation and delineation is extra terrestrial level . That can be mixture of pleacebo and metastasis.
Is this addressed to anyone in particular or a general purpose strawman? The confusion could be caused by poor eyesight and small lettering also.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

The very first time I heard an alapana of Salaga Bhairavi was at a violin concert of Charumathy Raghuraman at the Central Lecture Theatre in IIT Madras. I thought it was an intriguing mix of Kapi and Kharahapriya.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

MaheshS wrote: 10 Jan 2019, 20:23 I've never been able to get a handle on this raga, I keep Sivan's Sri Vallidevasenapathe as a reference [DKJ version], and if the alapana / song fits within that framework then I kind of assume it is Natabhairavi without being 100% sure till something / someone confirms.
I am going to get flamed for this but I am not sure that DKJ school is ideal for alapana reference.

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

sureshvv wrote: 14 Jan 2019, 12:11
MaheshS wrote: 10 Jan 2019, 20:23 I've never been able to get a handle on this raga, I keep Sivan's Sri Vallidevasenapathe as a reference [DKJ version], and if the alapana / song fits within that framework then I kind of assume it is Natabhairavi without being 100% sure till something / someone confirms.
I am going to get flamed for this but I am not sure that DKJ school is ideal for alapana reference.
I agree, I was mentioning the krithi rendition not the alapana. Also I have not heard alapana for this raga from DKJ.

uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

Sachi_R wrote: 13 Jan 2019, 14:39 RTP in Natabhairavi by Vid. TRS!

(another item in the concert has been wrongly named in the text as Sriranjani but it is actually Abhogi 🙃)
Nope. Talabeku is definitely Sriranjani.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

uday_shankar wrote: 14 Jan 2019, 18:30

Nope. Talabeku is definitely Sriranjani.
Ok Uday. I was the one who had uploaded it and labelled it as Sriranjani. So 😀...

It was tardy of me that I didn't check this item this time while typing the aforementioned post about Natabhairavi. But indeed someone had written to me some years ago that I had mistakenly labelled an Abhogi as Sriranjani. My ageing brain misclicked that it might be this track in this concert and so I said it had been mislabelled.

The Talabeku track in this one, which BTW I heard during my taxi ride just now, is indubitably Sriranjani. So thanks!

I think this type of wrong posting by people like me is what is causing global warming. So my apologies.

bala747

Post by bala747 »

Natabhairavi belongs to the nagaswaram. Listen to Karukurichi. Probably can find it on Sangeethapriya.

If you can't get a handle then, you don't know music.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Karaharapriya belongs to nAdasvaram. You can find somebody in sangeethapriya. If you cannot get a handle on it - you don't know music!

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Sachi_R wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 12:57 Suresh
Your early forays into identifying ragas remind me of a doctor who began practising and saying, "wow, this disease sure looks like a weird mixture of jaundice and tonsillitis." 😀😀😀
Part of the blame(credit?) has to go to Ashok Ramani. His present voice problems notwithstanding, Ashok, with his engineering background, had a very structural way of approaching a raga alapana. The approach tends to shed a new light on the raga being delineated. Have not seen this technique adopted in the new crop of youngsters performing today.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Good point, Suresh!

I find three exceptions even today: T M Krishna, Abhishek Raghuram, Amrutha Venkatesh. I wrote about her Kharaharapriya RTP in Bangalore mid 2018. She did an outstanding job of developing and delineating the raga almost like opening and extracting the sweet bits of a jackfruit 🙂

RSR

Post by RSR »

Just curious... Is it known if the composers of CM ( upto the Trinity) gave any performance with Alapana ?

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

IIRC, the Academy used to have a prize for systematic raga alapana and Ashok Ramani won that prize in the mid 90s. Not sure when they discontinued it.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

The first and ONLY time I have heard an alapana of Amirtha Behag was from Sriranjani Santhanagopalan at Raga Sudha hall, may be 2014 or 2015. It was sung as submain and bowled me over and converted me to a Rasika For Life (RFL :D ).

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=24304

I am not sure if I have ever heard a recording of an alapana of this raga either - there was a radio program of Sriram Parasuram that may have had it (along with Hiranmayeem Lakshmeem).

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

I feel the leisurely and elaborate detailing of a raga in an alapana requires the mindset of a boatman fording his craft in a vast and calm body of water. That's why you have those "Maanjhi" songs.
Most musicians in most concerts these days are Metro bus drivers. Too much happening for them to do anything as elaborate or as structured.

ajaysimha

Post by ajaysimha »

the very first time when i heard alapanai of jothiswarupini ragam
i felt it sounded like nattai ragam + shanmukhapriya ragam
both of which were repeating in tandem

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

ajaysimha wrote: 21 Jan 2019, 15:47 the very first time when i heard alapanai of jothiswarupini ragam
i felt it sounded like nattai ragam + shanmukhapriya ragam
both of which were repeating in tandem
Make sense. Chalanattai purvangam & Shanmugapriya uttarangam.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

There was a thread on Natabhairavi along these lines before.

And I think we have discussed this piece by SSI in that context.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLuQIAjWH74

The conclusion was, it is wrongly labeled as Bhairavi but it is Natabhairavi.

I can't sense much commonality between this and Vallidevasenapathe

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

nAtakapriyA does that for me. Its two personalities Thodi and karaharapriya have not fused in my mind into its own identity. A nAtakapriyA alapana sounds like a raga malika alapana to me :)
But it is easy to identify the raga. If it sounds like both Thodi and KHP it is Natakapriya!!

That 'fusion' is in its nascent stages for me. Occasionally, when they switch from one personality to another quickly, there is a different aesthetic which is what I am constructing in my mind as Natakapriya's personality. That is happening with the opening line of 'Idi samayamu'. That opening line itself starts like KHP and ends a bit like Thodi for me but over time the fused personality is starting to happen.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

bala747 wrote: 17 Jan 2019, 16:29
MaheshS wrote: 10 Jan 2019, 20:23 I've never been able to get a handle on this raga,
Natabhairavi belongs to the nagaswaram. Listen to Karukurichi. Probably can find it on Sangeethapriya.

If you can't get a handle then, you don't know music.
Well I hit what may be a bad recording and I found a new flavor in it, the way he (or one of the machines in copy chain!) was streching it upwards: dharbari kAnaDa - could hear marudamalai in it :lol: - since it was from the time I didn't know [being safe] what I know as music today ;)
Last edited by shankarank on 23 Jan 2019, 07:25, edited 1 time in total.

RSR

Post by RSR »

The very first time when I heard a nagaswaram rendering of SriValliDevasenapathe , I felt that it was a shanmugapriya song. Even today, I feel that the nearest to Natabairavi song is shanmugapriya.
A passgae in an article in TheHindu has shown me why.
The 20th melakarta ragam of the Carnatic genre Natabhairavi finds its counterpart in Asaavari, the sixth thaat (parent raga) in Hindustani music scheme. Occurring in the second place in the Veda chakram (fourth corresponding to chaturveda), the Natabhairavi in the Muthuswami Dikshitar school was referred to as Nariritigowla (which was classified as asampoorna melakarta). It corresponds to the natural minor scale of the western music system. Like all parent ragas, it carries the sapthaswara in the following mode: shadjam (sa), chathusruti rishabam (ri2), sadharana gandharam (ga2), shuddha madhyamam (ma1), shuddha daivatam (dha1) and kaisika nishadam (ni2) and of course Sa. Despite its placement in the melakarta chart and uniformly spaced out swara sthanams, Natabhairavi hardly finds a place of import in concert singing as a center-piece unlike its prati madhyama (ma2) equivalent Shanmukhapriya (56 melakarta). The ragam as such evokes grandeur and devotion.
=====================================================
I would have said the same thing by following the simpler HM notation as follows.
Natabairavi ----------(->) S R2 G1 M1 P D1 N1 S ............(<-) S N1 D1 P M1 G1 R2 S
Shanmugapriya .....................(-->)S R2 G1 M2 P D1 N1 S ...........(<---) S N1 D1 P M2 G1 R2 S
-----------------------
Last edited by RSR on 22 Jan 2019, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Sachi_R wrote: 21 Jan 2019, 12:23 I feel the leisurely and elaborate detailing of a raga in an alapana requires the mindset of a boatman fording his craft in a vast and calm body of water. That's why you have those "Maanjhi" songs.
Did you mean maajhi? As in O maajhi re? Or "Maanjhi" as in Varugalaamo?

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Suresh
The actual Hindi word for a boatman is माँझी which is written in English as Maanjhi. There is a nasal element after Maa.

The Carnatic Manji is as far as I know the soft ja.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Does anyone have the actual Sanskrit spellings of ragas? Not sure if there are any ragas out there with non-Sanskrit names.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Srinath,
The Sangita Sampradaya Pradarshini copy I have has names of ragas in Samskrita.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

His pallavi sAhitya, unless I use my definition of "sAhitya" and ignore what it means ( well meaning is not eliminated - but waits for vyAkya by authoritative vidvans) , it is poignant:

sa-ri-ga-ma-pa-da-ni-sa pADuVOm ...

He says lets sing the 7 notes! That says it all :lol:

Well on a serious note - may be why musicians even turn tyAgaraja's sapta svaramulai in mOkshamu to sa-ri-ga-ma-pa-da-ni svaramulai.

They are so inspired by it's svaras! :lol:

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

The very first time I heard an alapana of Sarasangi, I found it hard to tell it apart from Charukesi. I still find some renditions too close for comfort. Some artistes are able to keep this distinction very clear.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

vasanthakokilam wrote: 21 Jan 2019, 21:59 nAtakapriyA does that for me. Its two personalities Thodi and karaharapriya have not fused in my mind into its own identity. A nAtakapriyA alapana sounds like a raga malika alapana to me :)
But it is easy to identify the raga. If it sounds like both Thodi and KHP it is Natakapriya!!

In a way Natabhairavi is also such a mix (reverse) but has developed its own identity. At least for some :D

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

vasanthakokilam wrote: 21 Jan 2019, 21:44 There was a thread on Natabhairavi along these lines before.

And I think we have discussed this piece by SSI in that context.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLuQIAjWH74

The conclusion was, it is wrongly labeled as Bhairavi but it is Natabhairavi.

I can't sense much commonality between this and Vallidevasenapathe
I just heard this recording. It is Bhairavi and not Natabhairavi. It’s very unclear, but there are definitely two daivatas, as in Bhairavi, though the preponderant one is the shuddha daivata as in Natabhairavi. But there are a couple of occurances where you hear the chatusruti daivata (one is at 4:20) - if I’m wrong please do correct me.

I tried another recording by Chembai on YouTube, and it follows the same Bhairavi pattern, not Natabhairavi. However the KrithiBook app classifies it under Kharaharapriya, and these two recordings don’t seem to follow that. The shuddha daivata in the descent is very clear.

uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

Ranganayaki wrote: 27 Jan 2019, 06:33It is Bhairavi and not Natabhairavi.
Wrong. It is Natabhairavi. This is the "old" Natabhairavi, and chetulara is sung by people like SRJ too in Natabhairavi and SRJ has clearly shown, in his inimitable way, that certain pidis can only fall within the gambit of natabhairavi. Any chatushruti dhaivata that was "heard" is of no consequence. CM is full of wrong "heard" notes, both due to the nature of its gamakas as well as the sloppiness of its performers.

In any case the flow of the sangatis both in poorvanga and uttaranga is a distance from Bhairavi.

Once you listen to the Natabhairavi version of the kriti, it becomes clear why the Bhairavi version (as in the version sung by Chembai, which pops up next on Youtube) sounds like such a weak oddball version of the great raga of Bhairavi, totally out of character of Tyagaraja who's grip on Bhairavi was profound.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

@Ranganayaki , Semmangudi mama's version is all naTabhairavi - he did not sing it in bhairavi. The bhairavi version blindly replaced all the ascending D1s with D2s (even where we should use D1 in bhairavi!). But if you look closely, it doesn't use any of the trademark bhairavi phrases and treats some notes differently as well. Lots of unusual plain notes.

The sangatis are also too linear. This unusual treatment is what we expect for a sampUrna rAga than a raga like bhairavi. Actual bhairavi kritis like upachAramulanu or koluvaiyunnADe or EnATi nOmu phalamo are quite different in their phrasing.

In fact I'd go on to say that the "bhairavi" version of chEtulAra is not even bhairavi at all, it's mAnji through and through!! That RNS,-R alone would have told me. This is one of the best examples to show the difference between mAnji and bhairavi. When I come to mAnji and naTabhairavi on the ragas page, I swear I will absolutely put both versions of this song under both of them and not bhairavi! :D

That itself ought to tell you that this is actually supposed to be in naTabhairavi.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Now that you said mAnji, that makes more sense than naTabhairavi. Why insist on the latter? It violates the basic rAgA principles pre-carnatic!

So is SSI the king of two rAgAs? Karaharapriya and naTabhairavi - that no one else can grasp?

Again not saying that this is exactly same as mAnji - but if naTabhairavi is being proposed in the spirit of rAgAnga rAgA system, I have no problem with it.

In fact that falls within Sri SRJ's convictions in his own 72 mELA rAgA mAlika exposition, where he brightens up whenever he explains the asampooRNA rAgA equivalent of each.

But then can it maintain its own rAgA sense? The way the gamakas on ni are handled, that is not possible in a rAgA that we call sampooRNA, without giving primacy to ga - which is probably why they defined the bhairavi's krama as sa-ga-ri-ga!

Implied samvAditva of the gamakaws!! - Updated research by Mr M Subramaniam at musicresearch.in.

Not that an occassional sa-ri-ga-ma will destroy bhairavi - yeah people will say the musician sang karaharapriya.
There is an inside story of an YACM vidvan saying that to an ardent rasika of a senior vidvan of yester year for a bhairavi AlApana, when the tape was being played - bhairavi sung like karaharapriya. Hint: That senior vidvan was a dikshitar heavy vidvan ;) :lol:

And there is another genius vidvan who conversed with his Gen-1 genius vidvan about bEgaDA being sung as sa-ri-ga . The younger one quipped : bEgaDa sari gA ( sing bEgaDa properly!). :lol:

yEan Brindaamma kannaDala sa-ri-ga-ma pAdalayO - SankarAbaraNam ayiduccha? Didn't Brindaamma not sing kannADA as sa-ri-ga-ma? Did it sound like SankarAbaraNam?

But does this krama really matter that much in execution. If we are basing the identity of rAgAs on krama, god help us.

Of course music can be created in the tune called naTabhairavi of today:

https://www.parrikar.org/music/sivan/sr ... ivalli.mp3

( By the way the links in rAgas forum for naTAbhairavi - the sawf link is obsolete : https://www.parrikar.org/carnatic/sivan/) - I will link this post there!

How do I measure the music in it? I haven't heard or in the habit of hearing Sri S. Rajam that much even in recording. You could say , "the very first time in my life" , I am hearing him ;) . sangItam - how much a kilO? type approach!!

From third sangati on in pallavi - atIta takes over. Second line SrI subrahmaNyA namOstutE is taken off beat. kriyAlingana dOSham cured. This doesn't sound like being done to catch a breath. dEvata sArvabouma - the dhIRgas of both words exploited to the hilt. Jaya Jaya (hrasva) is pushed to the end to become an adjective to the next line : dviSHaDbhuja kArtikEya. The violinist did not get it right the second time. And dhIrgAs there are utilized to the hilt - and in the second sangati "kARti" goes over the arudi (saSabdakriyA) and he descends with "kEyA" and "mEYA" to samam!

layam unDORkku (jaya ) jayam unDU! Laya wins always! But all of this is lost due to linguistic/lyrical chauvinism - I consciously avoid the term language which is much more larger. Linguistics is a colonial project and lyrics is a post colonial offshoot of that. Survivor bias from the literacy drive!

And I am yet to hear the next two caraNams , as I could not breathe ( like the rookie MA Secretary who could not after playing kiTTappa in a Lec Dem!) :lol:

inda mAdiri sangItam kETTava ellAm innum usirOdatAn irukkOm ( we people who have listened like this are still alive)!

ennamO pEsikiTTE poyiTTirukEEka?! ( An expression that reads - what?! you guys keep talking non-stop on this one?)

Don't try to pull a fast one on us!
Last edited by shankarank on 28 Jan 2019, 06:52, edited 5 times in total.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Uday Shankar,

I’m paying attention. I agree with you and Srinathk that it sounds absolutely nothing like Bhairavi. If I said it was Bhairavi, i did not mention in my post that it was a very uncomfortable and ugly Bhairavi (not because of the singing style but because of the sangati structures). It was my faith in SSI that he would not introduce a blatantly wrong note.

But no gamaka in natabhairavi should lead you to think it is a d2. So I could not believe that he could be so “sloppy,” to borrow your epithet.

So yes, regarding raga swarupa, it doesn’t in the least sound like Bhairavi in the rest of the song. Nothing else in that rendering would have led me to think it was Bhairavi, if the d2 hadn’t been there.

So I’m more than willing and much happier to believe you when you both say it’s not Bhairavi.

But I’m feeling annoyed at SSI for the d2 if he didn’t intend it, it IS so careless of him, and I’m SO glad you called out the sloppy singing prevalent in cm even today.

And I should have stuck to ragaswarupa as my criterion and not just the presence of an odd and uncharacteristic swara here and there. But I tend to fall into that trap.
Last edited by Ranganayaki on 28 Jan 2019, 08:32, edited 1 time in total.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

அட என்னம்மா இப்பிடி விட்டு குடுத்துட்டீங்க? செம்மங்குடி மாமா சிஷ்ய கோடி என்னமோ அவர் பைரவியே சுத்த தைவதமாத்தான் மேலயே ஏறுவாருன்னு சொன்னாரு !

அப்ப பைரவியையும் சொதப்பிட்டாருன்னு சொல்றிங்களா ? ஒருவேளை பைரவி என்னமோ நடபைரவி ஜன்யம்முனு நடபைரவி மாதிரி பாடினாரோ? ;)

அந்த காணொளி இப்ப எடுத்துட்டாங்க ! ஆனா காப்பி இருக்குது!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tuWsN5 ... e=youtu.be

What? You gave up your argument in a huff? Semmangudi mAmA's one SiShya kOTi gave a lec dem only recently to demonstrate how he navigates bhairavi up with only Suddha daivata?

So he did a sloppy bhairavi as well? Or since bhairavi being a janya of naTAbhairavi , he wanted to sing the former like the latter? ;)

The video has been removed. Some of us kept a private copy however.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

shankarank wrote: 28 Jan 2019, 05:42 அட என்னம்மா இப்பிடி விட்டு குடுத்துட்டீங்க? செம்மங்குடி மாமா சிஷ்ய கோடி என்னமோ அவர் பைரவியே சுத்த தைவதமாத்தான் மேலயே ஏறுவாருன்னு சொன்னாரு !

அப்ப பைரவியையும் சொதப்பிட்டாருன்னு சொல்றிங்களா ? ஒருவேளை பைரவி என்னமோ நடபைரவி ஜன்யம்முனு நடபைரவி மாதிரி பாடினாரோ? ;)

அந்த காணொளி இப்ப எடுத்துட்டாங்க ! ஆனா காப்பி இருக்குது!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tuWsN5 ... e=youtu.be

What? You gave up your argument in a huff? Semmangudi mAmA's one SiShya kOTi gave a lec dem only recently to demonstrate how he navigates bhairavi up with only Suddha daivata?

So he did a sloppy bhairavi as well? Or since bhairavi being a janya of naTAbhairavi , he wanted to sing the former like the latter? ;)

The video has been removed. Some of us kept a private copy however.

Did you use Google Translate for your own words? Your first sentence in English doesn’t correspond to the Tamil one.. I would translate that as “What! You conceded so easily!”

Why not? My thought was that a raga certainly is more than a scale. While this video seems to follow the structure of Bhairavi , it totally lacks the personality, the flavor of the raga.

Your comment about SSI going up the scale w Shuddha daivata doesn’t work here, coz what I heard was an ascent up the scale using a chatusruti daivata.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Ranganayaki wrote: 28 Jan 2019, 08:32 Your comment about SSI going up the scale w Shuddha daivata doesn’t work here, coz what I heard was an ascent up the scale using a chatusruti daivata.
Well, he was doing that (use D1 in the ascent) in bhairavi as per the Lec Dem. And according to you he used D2 in naTabhairavi - the reverse. So my question was did he mess up bhairavi as well?

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Ranganayaki wrote: 28 Jan 2019, 04:57 Uday Shankar,

I’m paying attention. I agree with you and Srinathk that it sounds absolutely nothing like Bhairavi. If I said it was Bhairavi, i did not mention in my post that it was a very uncomfortable and ugly Bhairavi (not because of the singing style but because of the sangati structures). It was my faith in SSI that he would not introduce a blatantly wrong note.

But no gamaka in natabhairavi should lead you to think it is a d2. So I could not believe that he could be so “sloppy,” to borrow your epithet.

So yes, regarding raga swarupa, it doesn’t in the least sound like Bhairavi in the rest of the song. Nothing else in that rendering would have led me to think it was Bhairavi, if the d2 hadn’t been there.

So I’m more than willing and much happier to believe you when you both say it’s not Bhairavi.

But I’m feeling annoyed at SSI for the d2 if he didn’t intend it, it IS so careless of him, and I’m SO glad you called out the sloppy singing prevalent in cm even today.

And I should have stuck to ragaswarupa as my criterion and not just the presence of an odd and uncharacteristic swara here and there. But I tend to fall into that trap.
Semmangudi was probably well over 80 when he sang this. But I heard that recording twice over and didn't hear a D2 anywhere.

Actually the sangatis of chEtulArA are a perfect fit for kharaharapriya if you replace every single D1 with D2, and this seems to have been a matter of dispute even as far back as 1910, before the arAdhana existed. To my knowledge, the trinity never composed in naTabhairavi itself - there was nAri reetigauLa, but it was HMB and Papanasam Sivan who started using it.

So what we have is a Kharaharapriya canditate, that turned into naTabhairavi and is now sung in mAnji while everyone thinks the raga is bhairavi!! Confused enough?