Sangita Kalanidhi 2019

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
ratanabhinav

Sangita Kalanidhi 2019

Post by ratanabhinav »

Who's it going to be this year ?
I have a hunch that it's going to be NSG .
With the passing of # MeToo , some prominent names have been ruled out ?

maadhu

Re: Sangita Kalanidhi 2019

Post by maadhu »

I have my doubts. He can be given "Sangita Pravachana Kalanidhi".

By the way his name did surface on #metoo, just that he was smart enough not to respond unlike his peers. He let it pass by silently.

ratanabhinav

Post by ratanabhinav »

maadhu wrote: 12 Jan 2019, 08:18

By the way his name did surface on #metoo, just that he was smart enough not to respond unlike his peers. He let it pass by silently.
No , I don't think so .

maadhu

Post by maadhu »

ratanabhinav wrote: 12 Jan 2019, 15:12 No , I don't think so .
I am neither interested nor wanted to provide any #metoo URL. Since you said no, I had to post this. If you go back to Oct 17, 2018 and dig in, you would find it.

shreyas

Post by shreyas »

I believe TMK much deserves it. But his antics on stage may have ruled him out a long time ago.

maadhu

Post by maadhu »

I like TMK's leisurely singing sans antics. The other question that comes to my mind is the kaalapramanam. Rather than adhering to a reasonable tempo and run with it , he seems to vary the tempo a lot within the song. May be that's the reason he prefers Arunprakash to adjust accordingly :)

sangitadasan

Post by sangitadasan »

I hope they honour a senior vidwan like Prof R. Vishweswaran (Veena).

Venkat Ramachandran

Post by Venkat Ramachandran »

any chance for Aravamudachariar?

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

TMK would deserve it, but he's not sung there for years now.

I wonder if at least this year they might give it to the Lalgudi Siblings? What about VV Subramaniam? A percussionist again this time?

musi

Post by musi »

SrinathK wrote: 23 Jan 2019, 17:11 TMK would deserve it, but he's not sung there for years now.
How does TMK deserve it? He doesn't believe in the season. How can he preside over the conference ?
Plus he is only 43 years old. There are so many equally/more deserving musicians like bombay jayashree, Parassala Ponnammal, Vijay Siva, Neyvelli Santhanagopalan, Sowmya, Malladi brothers , Ranjani Gayatri, Kadri Gopalnath

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

I wonder what Vijay Siva's gripe with the Academy is. He hasn't performed there as long as I can remember.

I meant that TMK would deserve it, maybe not next year itself (should have added that). But for a long time I've felt that the Lalgudi Siblings should get it. You know sometimes threads like this make me realize how few musicians I seem to know.

rupavathi

Post by rupavathi »

SrinathK wrote: 24 Jan 2019, 11:56 I wonder what Vijay Siva's gripe with the Academy is. He hasn't performed there as long as I can remember...
Seems like your memory isn't too long. It's only been two years. Some things are best left to sort themselves out...

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

And that's what happens when you return to Chennai and CM after 7 years. I Stand corrected. :mrgreen:

EDIT : I was referring to me.
Last edited by SrinathK on 25 Jan 2019, 19:10, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

vijaysiva performed in Dec 2014 when sudha was awarded the SK award. After that for 4 years from 2015 to 2018, he has not had a slot in academy. VijaySiva absence is neither 2 nor 7 years.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

My choice would be VVS

gajaa

Post by gajaa »

If it’s going to a vocalist, it will be a call among:
Ranjani Gayatri
Bombay Jayashri
Sowmya

Among these 3, the one with the best rapport with the Academy is Sowmya. Followed by RaGa and then BJ.

Excluding TMK, NSG, VS - as they’ve not been performing at the MA. Just being practical here, no offense please.

In the case of instrumentalists, Lalgudi siblings have a chance.

iamsundar

Post by iamsundar »

VVS is a wise choice, Thanjavooran.

I feel Sri Guruvayur Dorai is equally worthy of the recognition. At times, society mistakes humility for weakness. Dorai was/is the torch bearer for the Pudukottai style. Was the chosen pakkavadhyam for most SKs of his time - Musiri, MDR, SSI, MSS, GNB, TVS, TNS, TNK,…). I really hope Dorai is in the radar for 2019.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

I think by now, some 80+ years of SK and 70 years of our Republic, we should be able to see that getting the SK is not merely about musical expertise but keeping the right networks active over the years and getting noticed at the right moments in the right places. There is a saying in Samskrita:
अप्रकटीकृतशक्तिः शक्तोपि जनस्तिरस्क्रियां लभते ।

A hidden or undisplayed talent or power, however mighty it may be, receives disrespect and lack of recognition.
Last edited by Sachi_R on 26 Jan 2019, 10:57, edited 1 time in total.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

" I really hope Dorai is in the radar for 2019. "

Yes the most forgotten Guruvayur deserves SK if a percussion Artiste is nominated.
Thanjavooran
25 01 2016

iamsundar

Post by iamsundar »

Sachi_R wrote: 26 Jan 2019, 04:30 I think by now, some 80+ years of SK and 70 years of our Republic, we should be able to see that getting the SK is not merely about musical expertise but keeping the right networks active over the years and getting noticed at the right moments in the right places. There is a saying in Samskrita:
अप्रकटीकृशक्तिः शक्तोपि जनस्तिरस्क्रियां लभते ।

A hidden or undisplayed talent or power, however mighty it may be, receives disrespect and lack of recognition.
So true. Right Time, Right Place, Right Networks...

In the case of Dorai, display of talent was so evident (even accompanied MSS on the historic Carnegie Hall concert). Played from ...Chembai to Ravikiran....

It's the right networks, perhaps ;)

masundaram

Post by masundaram »

I hope giving sangeetha kalanidhi to Aruna Sayeeram is no bar to giving the title to a vidushi next year. I think Dr.Sathyavathi should be considered. She is a great scholar, musician, singer and a communicator par excellence Alternatively, I feel that Violin vidushi T. Rukmani richly deserves the recognition. As an accompanist, she is a class by herself.Having accompanied Mali regularly, she is a master of laya. In fact, I remember a performance where the main artist faltered and gave up doing the thisram in a pallavi, Rukmani did it to perfection and got applause from all including the main artist.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Both deserving artistes, no doubt, but haven't they both been given the Sangeetha acharya title?

maadhu

Post by maadhu »

Even though smt T.Rukmini has been given Sangeetha Kala acharya, she richly deserves Sangeetha Kalanidhi. Word is that she is not doing well :(

gajaa

Post by gajaa »

Being completely realistic and pragmatic, going by the performers list put out by MMA for 2019 dec, there are only a couple of potential Sangeetha Kalanidhi options. Some assumptions (could be presumptions too) are:
SK has been seen to be awarded predominantly an artiste who is

45-60 AGE BRACKET

1. Currently performing in one of the prime evening slots (AND)
2. Has surpassed a certain level of popularity (AND)
3. Is a major crowd puller (AND)
4. is 45-60 years old (AND)
6. Has not alienated the organization in any significant way / has strong lobbying power
Examples: Sudha Ragunathan, Sanjay Subramanian, Chitravina Ravikiran

(OR)
>60 AGE BRACKET
1. Instrumentalist who has been extraordinary for decades and over 60
2. Vocalist who has been consistently great at least for the past 2 decades(though may not have been a major crowd puller) and is beyond 65-70
Examples: Trichur Ramachandran, TVG Sir, TK Murthy, Umayalpuram Sir, A Kanyakumari, Aruna Sairam (though she is a crowd puller)

Now, I do understand that there are some inherent biases in the above categorization but more or less, I have seen this to be true. Of course, there will be some outliers, but that's what they are, outliers.

Now, if the artiste is <45 years old and singing in the prime slot, they clearly need to wait a bit for the SK please :) So, going by this, I see maximum potential for SK being awarded to:
Among Vocalists & Instrumentalists (who perform solo)
1. Bombay Jayashri
2. Ranjani Gaythri (I know the 45 age bracket may not apply exactly but still, we all know they are current hi-fliers)
3. Malladi Brothers
4. Sowmya
5. Lalgudi Siblings
6. Jayanthi Kumaresh

Among accompanying instrumentalists who have a fair chance,
1. Dr Narmada
2. Dr S Karthik
3. Embar Kannan
4. RK Shriram Kumar

Now, if there are 2 or more ppl of more or less the same age group (within 5 years) who score equally on most parameters, it would be fair to assume that relative seniority might tip the balance in their favor. That way, my guess is

SK 2019: BJ / Lalgudi Siblings are prime contenders
SK 2019: RaGa next
SK 2019: RK Shriram Kumar / Dr Narmada next

Let's see what happens!

ramamatya

Post by ramamatya »

Like nota, ma can consider possibility of not giving SK if it finds none deserving that year.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

not giving SK if it finds none deserving that year
Not likely, first due to MA selling its Season Package which includes SK and, second, how, among the hundreds, could there possibly be no-one deserving this year?

Actually, no-one deserving means award ended, because if no-one is deserving this year, how could they become deserving next year?

arasi

Post by arasi »

Well-said, Nick. A number of them deserve it, of course.
I hope Guruvayur Dorai is honored first....

ramamatya

Post by ramamatya »

Nick H wrote: 25 Mar 2019, 21:50 Actually, no-one deserving means award ended, because if no-one is deserving this year, how could they become deserving next year?
What a static/pessimistic stance.

If a Church father has to respond, he would say, "Have faith, my child. Every year is different. In fact, every day is different. If there are none deserving this year, there may be some deserving next year. Times change/improve, people/musicians too."

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

A well justifiable clamour for a posthumous SK award to Mandolin Srinivas has been there since long. It could be announced in addition to the regular awardee of the year.

rupavathi

Post by rupavathi »

Well justifiable clamour for posthumous award to MDR, Balachander, TNR, Mali, SKR, Ramnad krishnan, Manakkal.... so many! Best not to open that Pandora's Box.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

T.K. Rangachari is missing in the list.

rupavathi

Post by rupavathi »

Thanks, you just proved my point! :)

gajaa

Post by gajaa »

gajaa wrote: 25 Mar 2019, 10:46 Being completely realistic and pragmatic, going by the performers list put out by MMA for 2019 dec, there are only a couple of potential Sangeetha Kalanidhi options. Some assumptions (could be presumptions too) are:
SK has been seen to be awarded predominantly an artiste who is

45-60 AGE BRACKET

1. Currently performing in one of the prime evening slots (AND)
2. Has surpassed a certain level of popularity (AND)
3. Is a major crowd puller (AND)
4. is 45-60 years old (AND)
6. Has not alienated the organization in any significant way / has strong lobbying power
Examples: Sudha Ragunathan, Sanjay Subramanian, Chitravina Ravikiran

(OR)
>60 AGE BRACKET
1. Instrumentalist who has been extraordinary for decades and over 60
2. Vocalist who has been consistently great at least for the past 2 decades(though may not have been a major crowd puller) and is beyond 65-70
Examples: Trichur Ramachandran, TVG Sir, TK Murthy, Umayalpuram Sir, A Kanyakumari, Aruna Sairam (though she is a crowd puller)

Now, I do understand that there are some inherent biases in the above categorization but more or less, I have seen this to be true. Of course, there will be some outliers, but that's what they are, outliers.

Now, if the artiste is <45 years old and singing in the prime slot, they clearly need to wait a bit for the SK please :) So, going by this, I see maximum potential for SK being awarded to:
Among Vocalists & Instrumentalists (who perform solo)
1. Bombay Jayashri
2. Ranjani Gaythri (I know the 45 age bracket may not apply exactly but still, we all know they are current hi-fliers)
3. Malladi Brothers
4. Sowmya
5. Lalgudi Siblings
6. Jayanthi Kumaresh

Among accompanying instrumentalists who have a fair chance,
1. Dr Narmada
2. Dr S Karthik
3. Embar Kannan
4. RK Shriram Kumar

Now, if there are 2 or more ppl of more or less the same age group (within 5 years) who score equally on most parameters, it would be fair to assume that relative seniority might tip the balance in their favor. That way, my guess is

SK 2019: BJ / Lalgudi Siblings are prime contenders
SK 2019: RaGa next
SK 2019: RK Shriram Kumar / Dr Narmada next

Let's see what happens!
So what do you folks think of this analysis ? Pragmatic, realistic ? I wanted to take a calculated guess at what’s most likely to happen. I’m sure that MA will not do away with the award this year or any forthcoming year.

rupavathi

Post by rupavathi »

gajaa wrote: 27 Mar 2019, 05:38So what do you folks think of this analysis ? Pragmatic, realistic ?
Your analysis of probables is pretty accurate, except for one major omission in the 45-60 category: NSG! And as far as seniority goes (in order of first appearance at Academy), the top three are NSG, Vijay Siva & Sowmya. And Vijay is not in the running for extraneous reasons.

As for your conclusions & prediction for 2019, sorry you're off the mark, going by the buzz in the grapevine! ;)

devan

Post by devan »

It may be A. K. Palanivel.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

All popular Vidwans / Vidushis of today are going to be honoured with SK sooner or later. The excitement lies just in the order, that's all.

Thanks, rupavathi (post no. 30 here) for completing the list of the historic 'SK leftouts'!

Isn't it time to wind up the discussion with a mangalam?

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Mangalam comes only after four or five supposed leaks (that's the thukkadas) and the announcement itself.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Do not be sure that all deserving leading Vidwans get SK title.There will be many who will miss.It happenned earlier and will happen again.
Vijaya Siva who definitely deserves the title is not given chance in morning and Evening slots.
OS Thyagarajan perhaps a contender does not figure due to METWO controversy.

mahesu

Post by mahesu »

Thiruvarur ?

ratanabhinav

Post by ratanabhinav »

2014 இல் இருந்து இரண்டு ஆண்களுக்கு அளவுக்கு அதிகமான பாராட்டல் கிடைத்திருக்கின்றது. சஞ்ஜய் மற்றும் மோதீ.

RasikasModerator2

Post by RasikasModerator2 »

No politics and any related personal attacks. That will do.

gajaa

Post by gajaa »

June is here already, Looks like we will know soon?
Insiders, by when is the name going to be announced? something like June 3rd week meeting etc etc is happening to finalize?

K Nagarajan

Post by K Nagarajan »

It appears all were busy speculating the parliament election results all these days. A few names may do the rounds, may be in the next few days but the enthusiasm is less this year in predicting the probable candidate.

gajaa

Post by gajaa »

K Nagarajan wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 21:20 It appears all were busy speculating the parliament election results all these days. A few names may do the rounds, may be in the next few days but the enthusiasm is less this year in predicting the probable candidate.
hmmm also implying that it's most probably not a vocalist I guess.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

Lets get one thing straight here.
If someone is given an acharya or some such award, no kalanidhi for them.
The very reason for creating an award called Sangeetha Kala Acharya was to recognise multiple artists in a year and to make sure that deserving people do not miss getting awarded. Hence, if someone has been given Sangeetha Kala Acharya, no kalanidhi for them.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

mahesu wrote: 22 Apr 2019, 18:09Thiruvarur ?
you want the award to be given to the town of Thiruvarur?

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

It will be a little difficult for it to preside. There won't be enough room :lol:

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

Nick H wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 16:46 It will be a little difficult for it to preside. There won't be enough room :lol:
:lol: :lol:

matterwaves

Post by matterwaves »

Mysore Nagaraj amongst instrumentalists.. guess he has time on his side.. but if it is tmk and some others, then he must be a contender too.

matterwaves

Post by matterwaves »

Mysore Nagaraj amongst instrumentalists.. guess he has time on his side.. but if it is tmk and some others, then he must be a contender too.