Cleveland Aradhana April, 2019

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
shankarank

Re: Cleveland Aradhana April, 2019

Post by shankarank »

RSR wrote: 25 Apr 2019, 19:04 Thiruvaiyaru Sri Thyagaraja Aradhana 1984https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaGSo7ZKSms
Here is a better recording of the 1984 one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yObHAh_PFHs

Likely that one - may be it was around 9:30 - 10 PM. Unless it was delayed recording broadcast and it happened earlier. The Kodaikanal TV Relay wasn't until 1987.

RSR wrote: 25 Apr 2019, 19:04 I had mentioned some wonderful Thyagaraja kritis sung by Smt.MS in the Thiruvaiyaaru Aradhana, -1978,in the hope that present-day musicians will emulate her.
I don't know how present day musicians are not emulating her. Does the latter mean they have to be literally like that. Thiruvaiyaru is a specific religious celebration. Also why should they not sing any kriti, and padams and javaLis? Why should not scores of people who throng it from around Tanjore villages get to hear all of these? This may be their only live event.

RasikasModerator1

Post by RasikasModerator1 »

shankarank, RSR: avoid personal attacks and Inflammatory remarks, innuendos or otherwise. We have cleaned up the three posts. Carry on with the discussion ( and don’t discuss this side track )

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

Let me resume my reporting on the concerts of the past few days:

April24, 2019

Akshay Padmanaban

1.BMK's ThOdi varNam SraguNa kAvumu 5 min
2.T's RaghupathE rAma in sahAna 7 min
3. Good alApana of Bhairavi rAga for 15+3 min followed by MD's bAla gOpAla pAla yAthu mAm with very good extensive
nreaval and kalpana swaram at usual neela---for 11 min. I liked his rendering of this piece
3a. short Thani for 2 min
4. He completed his presentation with P. Thooran's muraLidara gOpAla in rAga mAnd

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

April 24, 2019 evening

Sikkil Gurucharan, Delhi Sundarajan , Tanjavur Murugaboopathy

1. Started the program with a varNam in nAtta (?). I missed the beginning words
2. Parvatha rAja kumAri - raga sriranjani MD's 12 min this composition first time for me
3. endukku Chapalamu in PanthuvarALI (?) 6+4 alApana , song, neraval and swara 18 min
4.T's sAnthamulEka sowkyamu lEthu in sAma raga sowkyamAna presentation ! 8 min
5. T's lAvaNya rAma in poorNashadjam 5 min
6. kAmbOdhi rAga alapana 13+9 min followed by veeNai kuppaier's koniyAdina nApai 14 min, neraval & swara at deivamu lEkani for 12 min. Very well presented with good accompaniments
6a. Thani for 13 min
7. Tamil virutham followed by P.Sivan's kaRpakAmbikai neeyallavO in raga BehAg 5. min
8 MD's mAmava pattAbhirAma in maNiranghu 5 min.
9. ThillanA in Sindhubhairavi (?) 6 min
MangaLam.
Well rendered concert accompanied well by Delhi Sundara Rajan & Murugabhoopathy

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

April 25, 2019

VeeNA, vENU, Violin concert by Nirmala RajasEkar, Sikkil mAla & VVS MurAri

mAla commenced the program with a slOkam on the flute
1. nAttakurinchi pada varNam as announced. I didn't get the name of the composition 3 min
2. M.D's vAthApi gaNapathim in Hamsdwani 11.min. swaram successively by the three individually for 5 min. Quite enjoyable rendering !
3. Swathi ThirunAL's master piece in mAyAmALava gowLa Deva dEva kalayAmi. alApana in violin for 3 min. Song and then swram at jAtaroopa in succession by the three instrumentalists delightfully rendered for a total of 15 min
4. short but sweet Swararnjani composition of Ramanathapuram S. Iyengar for 6 min
5. reethigowLa alApana in veeNa followed by SubbarAya sAstri's master piece Janani ninnuvinA for a total of 15 min
6. kalyANi rAga alApana in flute-- thAnam in veeNa followed by violin- "nithi sAla sukamA" of thyagarAja and swaram in rAgamAlika by the three instruments ending in kApi rAga for a total of 33 min of BLISS !
7.mahAkavi bhArathi's nenjukku neethi in sindhubhairavi 4 min
8. ended with maithreem bhajatha

Wonderful concert that I enjoyed immensely. Perhaps the best I liked this season.

sahasraa

Post by sahasraa »

Sundara Rajan wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 18:24
3. endukku Chapalamu in PanthuvarALI (?) 6+4 alApana , song, neraval and swara 18 min
Sundara Rajan Ji - I guess it’s Mandari.

gajamukhu

Post by gajamukhu »

Could someone post a song list/review of Smt. Rama Ravi’s concert?

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

Here is the APRIL 27, 2019 afternoon program of

Rama Ravi & Nandita Ravi

The program started, as has become the norm now, late at 5:17 p.m.

1. sAmi ninnE kOri- Sri rAga varNam of Garbapuri vAsar 4 min
2. Vidulukku mrokkada- mayamALava gowLa-T's 6 min
3. TholijEsina pujApalamu-suddha BangaLa- T's 4 min. Swaram alternated between the two vocalists for 5 min. quite enjoyable
4. SatilEni-poorvikalyANi-Ponniah Pillai's-extended neraval & swaram at kOti manmatha for a total of 21 min
5. a Tamil composition of Ramaswami Sivan: ekkAlathilum maRavEnE- in nAttakurinchi rAga- 15 min
6. Krupachootaku vELarA Rama- ChAyAtharangini- T's-4 min
7. ThOdi rAga alApana-including violin return for 12 min followed by MD's Sri SubrammanyO mAm rkashthu

This main item must have been followed by Thani Avarthanam and one or two thukkadas, but I had to leave for an appointment.
Overall a very good concert.

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

Friends: I am unable to access the "On-demand" recordings of icarnatic Aradhana concerts, although I have paid $100 for it. Is any one else able to access the "On-demand" programs ?

arasi

Post by arasi »

This year, I don't think I heard any concert from the beginning to the end. Life has been busy.
Heard a bit of Bharath Sundar. Kamala Kiran, Vinod Seetharaman and K.V. Gopalakrishnan accompanied him. I caught him singing paripAlayamAm in rITigowLa (Swathi Tirunal). Next, the malayamArutham AlApana was detailed and appealing. Kamalakiran's was an impressive reply. DhanyuDevvaDO followed--such clean singing of the kriti..He also chose an agreeable line for neraval: vara maddaLa, tAlAdi...

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

Do any of the rasikas get the "On-demand" webcast of the Aradhana/Cleveland from icarnatic ? I am not able to access the on-demand webcast as of today.

arasi

Post by arasi »

If I recollect, in previous years, they offered the facility a bit later. Now, they would have wound up at Cleveland and will let us know when the on-facility will be ready.

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

Thanks for the information, Arasi. I just had a response from iCarnatic that they will start the "on-demand" webcast from tonight. We can then catch up on what we missed and listen again the ones we liked.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sundara Rajan,
Did Gurucharan sing koniyADe or Sri subhrahmaNyAya namastE? In the limited time that I watched, one thing I noticed was that there wasn't much of an interaction among those on stage. Was it because Gurucharan sings with his eyes closed half the time? Also recall a beautiful return by NAgai for one of the AlApanAs. Which one? :) Taking in too much music coupled with memory retention rate of octogenarians is possibly it. How I wish some from the younger set had joined us in reporting!It's not late.
Yes, the venu, veena, violin program was so very pleasing to the ears. Mala's playing brings back memories of her mother and aunt, of course. By the way, two Sikkils in a row at Cleveland--nephew and aunt. They would have heard each other (doesn't happen often under the same aegis). Murari's violin sounded sweet. What also pleased and surprised me was the veena. What liveliness! Just as we appreciate various voices and styles in vocal singing, there is room for appreciating different styles in the playing of the ancient instrument. Purists, don't frown. There is room for all. Isn't variety is the spice of life? Of course, it doesn't mean bringing down the quality of the music. They were excellent, pooling together their talents in playing dEva dEva deliciously (which I heard fully).

I have heard quite a bit about Akshay Padmanabhan, but listened only to a little bit of his singing. Too little to have a good idea about his singing...
Last edited by arasi on 01 May 2019, 01:15, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Nagai Muralidharan and Raghavendra Rao's violin duet was as good as I expected it to be. Nagai's sweetness of sound, and the quality of his art need no introduction. It's the first time that they have played together, is my guess. Nonetheless, it was a very satisfying experience, listening to them. Nagai was the main man, but Raghavendra Rao had a solid presence. Bhakthavatsalam and Vaikkom enhanced the concert. Bhaktavatsalam without excessive sound is an asset.

The concert started with mAkElarA vicAramu in Ravichandrika and set us up for a rich musical fare. Then came rAgAlApana in ritigowla, one of the popular rAgAs this year at Cleveland among todi and Kalyani. nannu viDaci was the kriti. Ahiri rAga and challarE was a pleasant surprise. Saraswathi rAgA and saraswathi namOStutE with ciTTasvaram was next. Sri rAmam in Narayana gawla, then Kotiswaraiyer's kalangAdE manamE in ragavardhini.

Kharaharapriya rAgA I heard, but couldn't be back until they were playing behag rAga. samayamidE rA rA was played.
What was the KP main song?
All of it, sweet to the ears and pleasing to the mind....

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

Arasi: You could enjoy listening to Sikkil Gurucharan again soon ( since the "on-demand" webcast has started) rendering KoniyAdina nApai of veeNai Kuppaier in kAmbhOdhi. He was accompanied on the violin by Delhi Sunderrajan and not MuraLidharan. I had enjoyed DKP's exquisite rendition of this song many times in the past.

I missed the early part of the violin duet of MuraLidharan & RAghavEndra Rao at my "nap" and caught up with their Chakkani rAjam mArgamu in karahapriya, if I remember correctly. Because of the heavy load of concerts in a short time senior rasiksas like us had trouble remembering everything, I guess !

I was looking forward to an Akshay PadmanAban's performance, after I heard his "ThiruvAchagam" : pAl kAttum oLivaNNa spatika maNi malarE ----thithikkum pazhamE-" in sAma rAga years ago. He did not disappoint me in Cleveland. He did an excellent rendering of bAla gOpAla of MD in Bhairavi .He had less than one hour to prove himself on his first visit !

arasi

Post by arasi »

Yes, I MEANT Delhi Sunderrajan but typed Nagai--because I was writing about him also at that time! So, you have heard Gurucharan again. On second hearing, the same rendition at times gains more credit, if it is, what Johnny Carson used to exclaim as "good stuff!"

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Sundara Rajan wrote: 01 May 2019, 02:58 I missed the early part of the violin duet of MuraLidharan & RAghavEndra Rao at my "nap" and caught up with their Chakkani rAjam mArgamu in karahapriya, if I remember correctly. Because of the heavy load of concerts in a short time senior rasiksas like us had trouble remembering everything, I guess !
Sundararajan Sir,
For every post that you shared I used to think ada cha kambodhi kalyani todi ya main Just when you took a nap ;) you got your favourite kharaharapriya :idea: with the flagship krithi chakkani rAja mArgamu. Also I am assuming your review is a function of just not how the performer sang/played but also the intrinsic dynamic neelambari that you have at that time.

Thank you , it is sure joy for me and many here here to hear music through your continued resilient post after post with vagayekkara Arasi.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
How I wish some younger folks than ourselves reported on what they heard (saw) at Cleveland! Not through streaming alone but by really being there! Our enthusiasm does not now match our capabilities in bringing the mega-happening to other rasikAs who have no access to it.
How active we ourselves were a mere five years ago! I do hope others join us in doing justice to an year after year, caringly and impressively organized ten day long event like this. Even the cheerful pictures which added another dimension to the festival were not forthcoming because of their being trashed by some, making this thread sweet illAda virundu sAPPADu (a feast without dessert).

arasi

Post by arasi »

Cleveland Tyagaraja Festival will be a historic happening in CM history in the future. To me, it can be summed up as something which thrives on two essential factors. 1: the spirit and might of volunteering. 2: the deep-rooted desire among the organizers to make it a transfer from generation to generation phenomenon.
The epic choir which I wrote about earlier was an example for the second factor. Next came Mylai to KAnchi--a presentation by the children which featured kritis by Papanasam Sivan and Syama Sastry, linking the two temple towns of Mylapore and Kanchipuram. Ashok Ramani, who for the past several years has lovingly orchestratedseveral torchbearers' concert is to be commended for his work. It goes without saying that the teachers here who are part of it all, spend energy and time for the whole thing to be pulled off.

Year after year, the youngsters prove themselves to be pros. They started the program with karuNAnidiyE tAyE in bowLi, one of my favorite songs of Sivan. Then came pAlaya sumAm paradEvata in Arabhi by SS. HimAdri sutE pAhimAm by Sivan, himAchala tanayE next. Sivan's Kamakshi Gowri in sAvEri which they sang with azhuttam (depth), keeping the rAga bhAva intact. kAkka unakkirakkam illaiyA?-came afterwards. How well they sang Kharaharapriya rAgA!Sivan would have been mighty pleased, listening to it. Raghavendra Rao's playing added to the mood they created. You realized what a good sense of the rAgA the kids had.
Where else can you find senior artistes playing for fledglings and young talents playing for top-ranking artistes! The confluence of volunteerism at its best and the zeal for the burgeoning of young talents makes it happen. No room there for egos and their demands, because music and children learning it are the center of motivation...

RSR

Post by RSR »

1) I may be wrong but there dont seem to be many in this forum who subscribed to the streaming and followed all the programs..
2) I wonder if the event was attended by rasikas there ( excluding the relatives and friends of the performing youngsters and accompanyting artists). Did they telecast the audience?
3) rasikas has a facebook and all the photos ( any number) can be posted there by those who are interested. After all Facebook is meant for photos and videos. rather than text.
4) rasikas pages are mostly 'pure text' and that is one redeeming feature. as it loads very fast.
5) As I said in an earlier post, if we just forget that the event tookplace in Cleveland, there is absolutely nothing special , to mention all those performers' names, kritis , ragams etc, Right now, so many concerts are going on in Bangalore and is there any detailed review in this forum, which I am missing? I dont think so.
6) This is a forum for classical carnatic music where there is no need for 'visuals.', I may cite an example of how veterans commemorated the great performances of giants like Madurai Mani Iyer. ( by simply playing the rare audio tapes to select invitess) and accompanied by precious reminiscences. The entire thread on MMI is testimony to that.
-------------------------------------------
I may also add, that the event is reduced to just one week and scheduled NOT to overlap with the period of Good Friday and Easter

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

RSR
When you donot like anything say Visuals , you can scroll down irrespective of age it does not take energy. While Facebook and Whatsapp is indeed sucking lot of content from PHP bulletin board like rasikas, I am also in favour of more texts , but give that space to others to communicate with lot of text and few visuals. Also for your information even visuals are loaded we are only sharing a link the space is taken by some other site.

@meena
I saw some link where you were taking photos , do share the link of photos as before please.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

@meena
Please post pics/links to the gorgeous pictures I’m sure you’ve clicked away. Will be a great supplement to word pictures we’ve had so far.
Except for uncivil posts, AFAIK, nothing is discouraged. Links, videos, pictures, and images that are relevant are not verboten, but are actually welcomed, as are (useful) texts.
And finally: कुछ तो लोग कहेंगे, लोगों का काम है कहना! 😜

RSR

Post by RSR »

rajeshnat
Sir,
Uploading the photos to rasikas( facebook) and sharing the link only here, with a brief description of what is presented in the link, may be the best solution. I am sure that all the rasikas have a facebook account though they may not use it much

RSR

Post by RSR »

Why not have a separate thread 'photos of cleveland festival 2019'?
People not interested in visuals can skip it.
---------------------------------
On second thoughts, a better option will be to have the thread 'photos of Cleveland Aradhana' -2019 .....in MEMBERS' LOUNGE section
Last edited by RSR on 05 May 2019, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Hard though you may find it to believe, your views are those of the smallest possible minority.

RSR

Post by RSR »

Nick H
-----------
How do we know? From the number of paricipants in this thread so far, , it appears that my views are those of largest possible majority, ( those who are atall interested in this thread). May I know why rasikas is having facebook presence then?

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

Cleveland Aradhana :
I would request members to post photographs here, in this thread.
Images add value to the write-ups and reviews !

arasi

Post by arasi »

"Send them to the lounge" sounds more like "Banish them!' or even "Off with their heads"!
I supposed listening to good music is supposed to make us happy, enrich our spirits and make us more amicable. Am I totally wrong?

arasi

Post by arasi »

Also, speaking tradition, the illustrated (!) thread on Cleveland traditionally carries pictures which bring pleasure to many of us. To see artistes in a friendly atmosphere, not just on stage, seeing familiar faces of volunteers, of rasikA friends and acquaintances, , and of children who learn music with zeal--are part of this tradition, I'm afraid....

RSR

Post by RSR »

arasi wrote: 05 May 2019, 17:25 Also, speaking tradition, the illustrated (!) thread on Cleveland traditionally carries pictures which bring pleasure to many of us. To see artistes in a friendly atmosphere, not just on stage, seeing familiar faces of volunteers, of rasikA friends and acquaintances, , and of children who learn music with zeal--are part of this tradition, I'm afraid....
May be.! Being of 'plate music' and 'AIR programs' generation (1947-1967), we never asociated any image of the artist with the music.
supposed listening to good music is
Music, is meant to be 'heard' and not 'seen'. Not many Rasikas in this forum for Classical Carnatic music, may be interested in all those images, In what way, posting such images in the lounge deny any one of the pleasure of seeing faces known to them?

RSR

Post by RSR »

I thought , it is uncivil to use any language other than English in the posts without translation. कुछ तो लोग कहेंगे, लोगों का काम है कहना!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Visuals have been part of our lives even from our cave dwelling times. A hunting life was also depicted on the walls of a dwelling by some. From the forties, the visual memories of a Madurai Mani Iyer's concert are still vivid. We are not abandoned in a desert island to listen only to recorded or taped music. We have, and will have rich recollections of visual images as well as what we heard and will hear. And MS, who is hailed by all, inspired us with her visual presence, her involvement became ours, her bhakti, outpouring of feelings became a little part of ours too. Ah, that we are blessed with our precious eyesight to boot!

sevikku IyappaDum, adu kaNNukkum virundAgum (a treat to the ears and also to the eyes at times to make it richer).
Last edited by arasi on 05 May 2019, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

RSR must be thinking about the kAncipuram during PaTTammAL's child hood where the whole family was in a crisis over the publication of her photograph! ;) :lol:

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

Only music ! No visuals !!
Henceforth in the kutcheris, the musicians should perform sitting behind the curtain !

arasi

Post by arasi »

Bala,
What a boon! Women artistes do not have to spend a fortune on their saris and jewelry (real or otherwise)!

arasi

Post by arasi »

And there I was, after writing about the concerts, wanting to indulge in trivia like how the opulence in saris were somewhat toned down this year (thank goodness) and that black and white have made an entry into dance couture :( Didn't care for it personally. However, there too, was happy to see less gold in costumes. I know, the tailors are looking for variations to make their work less boring. However, find me traditional here, but it does makes sense not to lower the big fan part of the costume. Why? the leg movements are not quite visible. As for the small fan, well, it has almost disappeared! Too much of fancy work in its place is not aesthetic to my eyes. It reminds me of the way the beautifully draped sari is now shown in all kinds of angular, ungraceful ways. The soft drape cannot be seen at all in the way they are modeled in the printed media. Hope the lovely bharathanatyam costume doesn't reinvent itself :(

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

It is no good trying to corrige the incorrigible.

Do not try to teach a hippopotamus to sing.
You will not succeed and it only annoys the hippopotamus.

Wise words told to me by a colleague in 1990.

RSR

Post by RSR »

Nick
It is no good trying to corrige the incorrigible
'correct' would have been a less archaic term.
no one can teach a hippo to dance
By the way, the event had a number of tavil and mrudangam sessions.
Was there any review?
----------------------------------------
Anyway, you are perhaps concurring with me.
spoil the thread. supposed to be on the Divine Kritis of Thyagaraja.
I have made my points on this topic. Enough.

RSR

Post by RSR »

The Best of Smt.MS was from 1936 to 1956. and except those who resided in Madras of those years, who attended concerts, we did not know how she looked, except through some stray photos in kalki magazine.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Surely, her films were produced in that period, weren't they?

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

RSR wrote: 05 May 2019, 22:34
'correct' would have been a less archaic term.
No, I definitely meant corrige. Although, far from being archaic, I think that word may not have existed until I typed it today. Well, except among the many who share my particular view of words, of course.

RSR

Post by RSR »

arasi wrote: 06 May 2019, 02:35 Surely, her films were produced in that period, weren't they?
Surely! All of them unmatched classics in music to this day! And ,Ah, the Lyrics for Tamil Meera by Kalki! 1938-> sevasadhanam, 1940,>sakunthalai, 1941-> savithri, 1945-> meera(tamil) and finally meera *(hindi).1947
I was just 3 years old in 1945 and though we could hear the songs almost everyday, in loudspeakers, radio and plate, we were not allowed to see any film.
Somehow, the print had been withdrawn and I could see the tamil film Meera only in 1967!
Here is Sarojini Naidu's tribute to MS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5GzAh5XgGo

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Pratyaksham Bala wrote: 05 May 2019, 20:16 .
Only music ! No visuals !!
Henceforth in the kutcheris, the musicians should perform sitting behind the curtain !
maRaindirundE pAdum marmam enna, in shaNmukhapriya?

RSR

Post by RSR »

As a concession, male artistes can appear on stage.

arasi

Post by arasi »

dEvuDA!
Why fancy sarees, ladies? Glittering jewelry dames, pray?
We are all for unseen music, behind the curtain concerts--
But men are fine to be seen, in fancy kurtas or plain whites--
The stage is there solely for them, oh, no lady for tambura!

Kutcheri halls, ticketed or free, canteens and conveyance?
Won't a desert island collection of ten best--sorry, a thousand
Recordings do, doing away with fellow-listeners and the rest?,
"Do you like the human race? Not me--this means you, get out!"

A Huxley character had painted this on his gate--wonder how vast
His music collection was , and his need for listening to music live--
Meanwhile, bring in the pictures, Meenaakshi, Rupavathi and the rest--
A grand event recorded in living color and in black and white!

RSR

Post by RSR »

Approaches to Thyagaraja's music may be different.
#327 Re: Thyagaraja (Krithis)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=824&start=325#p351263

arasi

Post by arasi »

I clicked on REPLY, and then decided not to say anything...

RSR

Post by RSR »

arasi wrote: 08 May 2019, 08:18 Meanwhile, bring in the pictures, Meenaakshi, Rupavathi and the rest--
A grand event recorded in living color and in black and white!
---------
The ' Trinity' were Goddess for us.
But men are fine to be seen, in fancy kurtas or plain whites--
The stage is there solely for them, oh, no lady for tambura!
I agree with you. So, no exemption
Kutcheri halls, ticketed or free, canteens and conveyance?
just like our cine fans thronging the theaters. ?
Bajan Sampradayam does welcome everybody's participation, as a singer , not just a listener
A Huxley character
Which Huxley? /Father,/ Aldous? Julian? Evidently, Aldous. Point-Counter Point.
Kindly wait till I complete the list of the Best of Thyagaraja kritis. And I am indeed very eager to have your reaction on THAT list.

arasi

Post by arasi »

No problem. I am prepared to wait, wait with commenting on them too. Meanwhile, I am always happy to visit Govindan's tAgarAja Vaibhavam list and savor the songs and the meanings, in any language I like to. A dedicated work which occupied him for many years and is valuable to us and for the coming generations....