Recent Issues with the Forum

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
rshankar

Recent Issues with the Forum

Post by rshankar »

@srkris First of all, thank you for restoring the site after the attack it suffered. It could not have been easy.
Could you please let us know the issues that caused this and previous crashes, and what it would take to protect the forum from further attacks?

srkris
Site Admin

Re: Recent Issues with the Forum

Post by srkris »

Apologies, it was a spam blocker extension which was misbehaving all along. I have been using it for over a year so I dont know why it suddenly started causing this issue.

I have now removed it -- difficult to explain but it was trying to use up all the SQL database bandwidth and the webhost was automatically shutting down the website due to that.

It took a few days of continuous back and forth support tickets and calls to identify what the exact issue was, but finally it was identified and I've now fixed it.

arasi

Post by arasi »

srkris,
vAzhiya, vAzhiyavE!
Hope you get to rest a bit after all this:) You have your regular work outside of the forum as well to deal with...

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Srkris
Good job done. No doubt an hectic process.
Vaazhga valamudan!
Thanjavooran
14 06 2019

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

@srkris, Great job bringing the site back up again. It seems to have been a messy issue for the last week and more, trying to trace the source of the mysterious failures.

Thanks again for giving the CM music community this space!

ajaysimha

Post by ajaysimha »

@srkris hats off to bringing back our site back to normal!!

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

The unwritten truth about all this advanced technology is that something is waiting to happen all the time.. But for dedicated and competent people like SRKris this rasikas.org, truly a labour of love would not have done so well so long. So applause is in order 😀

RSR

Post by RSR »

@srkrs-> Thank you very much,Sir.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

@srkris

Thank you!!

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

@srkris - Thanks for your efforts.🙏

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

I am glad we are back on! Thank you!

chalakkudy

Post by chalakkudy »

thank you for your efforts @srkris and it is indeed happy to see the forum back in action. It seems the discussions are accessible for viewing only for the logged in members. Is this going to be temporary?

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

chalakkudy wrote: 16 Jun 2019, 17:21 It seems the discussions are accessible for viewing only for the logged in members. Is this going to be temporary?
Thanks, it is now open access.

I wanted to wait for a few days before enabling open access to ensure that the website was stable.

CRama

Post by CRama »

srkris. Thanks for your sincere efforts to restore the forum.

cienu

Post by cienu »

Rasikas.org is so much a part of our routine that we sometimes tend take it for granted. :)
A "blackout" like what recently occurred, reminds us of the enormous efforts which the admins (in particular @srkris) take to keep Rasikas in fine fettle.
A big big "Thank you" is certainly in order :)

arasi

Post by arasi »

I used to wonder. Every time something like this happened, why a few would get worked up. As if the chief was taking a fancy vacation away from the forum (and why not?). Well, he is also a working person like many of us here. Wonder what his boss would think when things go wrong here :)A few of us also react the same way we do to utilities not rendering service whch we have paid for! Well, as many of the old timers might agree, this is the first time, I'm happy to say--we are appreciating him fully for all he does, with the help of the moderators.

Srkris again, thanks :)

ajaysimha

Post by ajaysimha »

I also noticed that the constant re-login issue is gone now.
finally its being more and more lucid.
ton of thanks to the admins and mods!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

One thing in my professional experience of solving computer problems is that their difficulty does not determine how long they take to solve. It is the order in which one tries solutions that does that! Experience helps, but, sometimes, luck helps more!

And sometimes it doesn't help. And when the boss says, "Why didn't you try that first?" there isn't really an answer.