Home vocal recording and technology

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
ganesh_mourthy

Home vocal recording and technology

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

I have been watching this series from the beginning of lockdown.

There used to be a time when you could produce high quality music only in sophisticated recording theatres .

https://youtu.be/oPAO3cE5UYA?t=204

However, often times, I watch videos in youtube that has high fi recording theatre type production.

What are the whole set of apps , microphone and anything else that goes into work to produce something like this?

All the songs in this series were recordings at home

Curious

Ganesh Mourthy

Nick H

Re: Home vocal recording and technology

Post by Nick H »

Ever since digital recording became available at affordable cost, which, for me, was when I got a mini-disc player/recorder in 90s, the hiss and noise of the cassette was left behind. I think that my portable machine and stereo mic might have cost a total of less than 200 UK pounds. Not peanuts! But do-able, especially as I had been using the mic already with cassette tape.

Now... well, I am out of touch with these things but three or four mics 9much cheaper available), a four-channel mixer, an audio interface for your computer (or an audio interface with three or four mic inputs). And some cables and stands and stuff.

Hmmm... That is actually going to amount to a very noticeable amount of cash. But not like a pro studio or stage setup.

You can use free software such as Ardour and Audacity to do your recording, mixing and mastering!

Have fun. All that stuff used to fascinate me, and I wanted to do more, but now I am lacking the thing I can't go out and buy: decent hearing.

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

I tell you Nick . It is only during this lock down one gets to appreciate on how many redundant things we have around and ahem how consumerist we have been. A pizza for home costs 2K. And a drive to a mall and movie and dinner and some impulse purchase can sometimes go to 10.

All that savings .. some can go to PM fund ... but still ..
what would be a good mini quality audio interface.

Help tech Rasikas.

Ganesh MOurthy

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

You could just get one of those Zoom or similar. The smallest one is very little money, increasing to as much as you want to spend.

Portable recorders.

Actually, if you get serious about recording, the most expensive thing can be the speakers!

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

what is with speakers. ... why would I need an expensive speaker for recording. It is for the listeners it matters ... no?

And any good idea about a good music key board. A medium range . I believe it helps you to sing along as you could cling to the note. I have seen many doing it . ...

I think with some knowledge about music , singing ,instrument experience , sounds , pitches, tones, tunes I hope to get some mileage already . That is a hope ...

That is too much to ask .. but let me start so I will have some progress in a few years. Not too ambitious . Practical ...

Thanks Nick ..

GM

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

ganesh_mourthy wrote: 07 May 2020, 11:27 what is with speakers. ... why would I need an expensive speaker for recording. It is for the listeners it matters ... no?
How will you know how to give your listeners the best if you have not heard it on very revealing speakers? Is the answer.

Keyboards I don't know anything about. Haven't tried. And it is more than a decade since I took an interest in recording technologies: you need someone more up-to-date! Sorry I can't be of more help than suggesting some basics.