Copyright

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
S.M. Vasudevan

Copyright

Post by S.M. Vasudevan »

Hello. I was wondering. I have many Carnatic tapes and was wondering if the record labels actually own the rights to these songs. Like I one that is a Madurai Mani Iyer album and it was released in 1982 by AVM. Did they actually record the concert or are they just pretending to own the rights. I know there are tapes that are actually recorded in studio but this one seemed like it was from an actual concert. Why would they put it 14 years after his death or maybe 20 year after the concert? Same thing with many other recordings from the 50s. Do they really own the copyright? Did they actually record it. I once posted a song to YouTube and it said that the song I posted matched the lyrics of another song. Apparently a company owned the rights to the lyrics. That is not possible because it was composed 1000 years ago so the lyrics would obviously be in the public domain. I tried to combat but I was unsuccessful.

RSR

Re: Copyright

Post by RSR »

good point Sir
Copy right should expire automatically 25 years
example
1900 to 1925
1925 to 1950
1950 to 1975
1975 to 2000
2000 to 2025

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

sir, this is an old and complicated subject.
If the recording label has acquired the copyright, it belongs to them. Nothing to do with the longevity of the artiste.
A classical music record of say Beethoven's composition or Menuhin's violin playing or Karajan's conducting the Berlin Philharmonic has its copyright with the owner mentioned in the recording (most likely the label) long after these artistes passed away.

As long as you don't make copies of the music and sell them or broadcast or upload on Youtube, you can share and listen to the recordings. No need to worry. Of course if someone sold you a copy and it is investigated, it is a different story.

Please read the small print about copyright.

RSR

Post by RSR »

sir, I am specifically referring to old CM records. I don't think there is any international copy right law regarding music. copy right laws vary from country to country. It is high time to frame a standard copyright law applicable to Carnatic music alone. Carnatic vocal music is as much about the voice and age. Llitharam has written a nice article about the difference between the early GNB records,those of middle period and of later years. The gay abandon of eearly genius -perhaps a bit unsophisticated- can never be recaptured in latter years. Thus we are missing the very early records of giants of Carnatic summer like Smt.MS ( she had given a record of 'intha sowkyamu' and 'nagumomu' as 78 rpm records. Where are they now? I bet that the latter renderings in an aged voice will lack the original bliss. So also of so many of recitals and concert performances of early Madurai Mani Iyer's electric swarams and gay abandon of NVC.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

RSR wrote: 15 Sep 2020, 11:04sir, I am specifically referring to old CM records. I don't think there is any international copy right law regarding music.
Countries may have their own copyright law, but most oare signatories to the Berne Convention which lays down the agreed basics.
It is high time to frame a standard copyright law applicable to Carnatic music alone.
Rules are the same as any other kind of music.
Carnatic vocal music is as much about the voice and age. Llitharam has written a nice article about the difference between the early GNB records,those of middle period and of later years. The gay abandon of eearly genius -perhaps a bit unsophisticated- can never be recaptured in latter years. Thus we are missing the very early records of giants of Carnatic summer like Smt.MS ( she had given a record of 'intha sowkyamu' and 'nagumomu' as 78 rpm records. Where are they now? I bet that the latter renderings in an aged voice will lack the original bliss. So also of so many of recitals and concert performances of early Madurai Mani Iyer's electric swarams and gay abandon of NVC.
The same things could be said about any artist performing in any tradition, classical or not, all over the world. To each its devotees, historians, academics and critics.

I'm not sure this is what you re saying, but if it is that there should be the right to reissue old, but still copyright, recordings, just because carnatic, then I don't, personally, imho, think that you have made a difference case that would impress the lawyers.

RSR

Post by RSR »

@Nick H
There is no such international copy right law. I am asserting this on the strength of atleast six international experts.
I\--------------------------------------------
Each country can frame and implement its own copy right law separately for books, music, legacy recordings etc.
-----------------------------------------
This is for @vasudevan
Recently I created a website for Guruvayoor Kshtram. I had all the songs of my choice (mp3) to my google drive.
----------------------
I was not happy with the outcome as the visitor had to first download the mp3 from the drive address thus exposed. Of course, there was no copy right issue involved as saregama had donated trisur Ramachandran audio/video to youtube.
But I wanted the user to listen to the three mins dasakam on site itself without downloading.
---------------------------------
So, with the help of technically qualified friends, I provided html5 audio player for each song.-seen at the bottom of the page.
--------------------------------------------
thus, none but the creator of the page - admin- can know about the google drive URL. Thus, copy right infringement does not arise at all.--------------
1) upload the audio to your google drive.
2) note down the url carefully.
3) create page for the audio with html player
4) create your own blog in blogger for that page and add any more info

5) create a simple youtube mp4 with the image of the artist and the URL of your webpage. Add any very short audio ciip
6) upload to youtube. Thus we reach wider audience and contribute to preserving and SHARING our gems of audios for posterity.------
--continued in next post.

RSR

Post by RSR »

@Nick H
There is no such international copy right law. I am asserting this on the strength of atleast six international experts.
I\--------------------------------------------
Each country can frame and implement its own copy right law separately for books, music, legacy recordings etc.
-----------------------------------------
This is for @vasudevan
Recently I created a website for Guruvayoor Kshtram. I had all the songs of my choice (mp3) to my google drive.
----------------------
I was not happy with the outcome as the visitor had to first download the mp3 from the drive address thus exposed. Of course, there was no copy right issue involved as saregama had donated trisur Ramachandran audio/video to youtube.
But I wanted the user to listen to the three mins dasakam on site itself without downloading.
---------------------------------
So, with the help of technically qualified friends, I provided html5 audio player for each song.-seen at the bottom of the page.
--------------------------------------------
thus, none but the creator of the page - admin- can know about the google drive URL. Thus, copy right infringement does not arise at all.--------------
1) upload the audio to your google drive.
2) note down the url carefully.
3) create page for the audio with html player
4) create your own blog in blogger for that page and add any more info

5) create a simple youtube mp4 with the image of the artist and the URL of your webpage. Add any very short audio ciip
6) upload to youtube. Thus we reach wider audience and contribute to preserving and SHARING our gems of audios for posterity.------
--continued in next post.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

RSR wrote: 15 Sep 2020, 20:39 @Nick H
Please tell your experts about the Berne Convention. , but
That's what I said!

RSR

Post by RSR »

for illustration, please visit each page in my blog at
http://guruvaayoorkshethram.blogspot.com