Commission a book - help

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
vsn69

Commission a book - help

Post by vsn69 »

I'd like to commission a book on Madurai Pushpavanam Iyer.
I'd like an author with good knowledge of Carnatic Music to write about Madurai Pushpavanam Iyer's life, music etc.

Suggestions please....

Rajani

Re: Commission a book - help

Post by Rajani »

Sir, please also indicate the language you want the book to be written in.

vsn69

Post by vsn69 »

Thank you for replying. I was away and could not reply sooner.
I'd prefer English.
Tamil also welcome.

vsn69

Post by vsn69 »

Rajani wrote: 18 Jan 2021, 11:59 Sir, please also indicate the language you want the book to be written in.
Hello Rajani, any suggestions?
Thank you.

Rajani

Post by Rajani »

Sir, I apologise if my doubt led you to think I had some recommendation in mind. It was just a clarification for myself. I do not know anyone personally, who would be ideal for this.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Mr. Shankar Venkatraman is willing to take up this task. He has got good experience in this field. He has written books on Semmangudi, M.S etc. His phone no is

I have spoken to him. You may proceed further.

vsn69

Post by vsn69 »

CRama wrote: 22 Jan 2021, 19:27 Mr. Shankar Venkatraman is willing to take up this task. He has got good experience in this field. He has written books on Semmangudi, M.S etc. His phone no is

I have spoken to him. You may proceed further.
Thank you for your suggestion.

RSR

Post by RSR »

p-1
@vsn69
Respected Sir,
Kindly excuse me to intrude here. Being done in good faith.
It is fairly easy to write about Smt.MS and Chemmangudi. You would have read 'The Carnatic Summer by Sri.V.Sriram. A wonderful book of biographies. He would be the ideal person to write about Sri.Pushpavanam Iyer. But I am not sure if he can find time .
Writing about Madurai Pushpavanam is a very difficult assignment. He belongs to the generation roughly 100 years back. (1920's). It will be almost an R&D work.. People who had listened to him and moved with him , would be in past 90 now. Unfortunately, there are no 78 rpm records of his songs either. readily available. So, the writer will have to personally meet possible people of very old generation , interview them and record their reminiscences. Doubtless, it will be an invaluable addition to our knowledge of the earliest years of the last century and their cultural ambience. I think, you will have to share all the photos that you may have in your family collection.
The good thing is that since Madurai MaNi Iyer was his nephew ( brother's son), people who were close to MaNi Iyer may be able to share their reminiscences.
I would suggest that the book is in both English and Thamizh.
in a single volume with a lot of photographs . You might have read the writings of our forum member 'Lalitharam' ( Parivadhini) ( gamaam). He is a Master's degree holder in Engineering from a prestigious American university and passionately interested and knowledgeable in Carnatic music . I do not know him personally but I am a regular follower of his blog posts on Carnatic music .He is very young person ( comparatively- I think around 40 now). His writings belie his young age. He is a true rasika. who gave up his lucrative career to devote himself entirely to the service of sharing the delights of CM and propagating it. He is a trend-setter in video-casting with advanced technology.
He has moved closely with Rajam Iyer and came out with a wonderful series. His book on GNB is widely known. Also on PSP.
Recently, he gave us a nice interview transcript of Smt.MLV. He has spoken and written about Madurai Somu and Madurai MaNi iyer. He will already know quite a few people in the older generation . He is a voracious reader too. Writes lively and lovely Thamizh. Of course , he is no less adept in English too. but he feels that Thamizh is more natural choice to express his ideas on CM appreciation, and rightly so. The English portions can be written by Sri. SankarK. who does a fantastic job in that with lightning seed. I know about his work through this forum only. No axe to grind.
As 'Gamakam' has contacts in the world of popular Thamizh journals of the present times, the work will reach thousands of Thamizh readers here in ThamizhNadu and abroad among the diaspora in USA.
Sri. RajeshNat and Arasi Madam will endorse my suggestion, I think,
Best Regards.

@parivadini ,@SankarK,

vsn69

Post by vsn69 »

RSR wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 08:36 p-1
@vsn69
Respected Sir,
Kindly excuse me to intrude here. Being done in good faith.
It is fairly easy to write about Smt.MS and Chemmangudi. You would have read 'The Carnatic Summer by Sri.V.Sriram. A wonderful book of biographies. He would be the ideal person to write about Sri.Pushpavanam Iyer. But I am not sure if he can find time.
Writing about Madurai Pushpavanam is a very difficult assignment. He belongs to the generation roughly 100 years back. (1920's). It will be almost an R&D work.. People who had listened to him and moved with him , would be in past 90 now. Unfortunately, there are no 78 rpm records of his songs either. readily available. So, the writer will have to personally meet possible people of very old generation , interview them and record their reminiscences. Doubtless, it will be an invaluable addition to our knowledge of the earliest years of the last century and their cultural ambience. I think, you will have to share all the photos that you may have in your family collection.
The good thing is that since Madurai MaNi Iyer was his nephew ( brother's son), people who were close to MaNi Iyer may be able to share their reminiscences.
I would suggest that the book is in both English and Thamizh.
in a single volume with a lot of photographs . You might have read the writings of our forum member 'Lalitharam' ( Parivadhini) ( gamaam). He is a Master's degree holder in Engineering from a prestigious American university and passionately interested and knowledgeable in Carnatic music . I do not know him personally but I am a regular follower of his blog posts on Carnatic music .He is very young person ( comparatively- I think around 40 now). His writings belie his young age. He is a true rasika. who gave up his lucrative career to devote himself entirely to the service of sharing the delights of CM and propagating it. He is a trend-setter in video-casting with advanced technology.
He has moved closely with Rajam Iyer and came out with a wonderful series. His book on GNB is widely known. Also on PSP.
Recently, he gave us a nice interview transcript of Smt.MLV. He has spoken and written about Madurai Somu and Madurai MaNi iyer. He will already know quite a few people in the older generation . He is a voracious reader too. Writes lively and lovely Thamizh. Of course , he is no less adept in English too. but he feels that Thamizh is more natural choice to express his ideas on CM appreciation, and rightly so. The English portions can be written by Sri. SankarK. who does a fantastic job in that with lightning seed. I know about his work through this forum only. No axe to grind.
As 'Gamakam' has contacts in the world of popular Thamizh journals of the present times, the work will reach thousands of Thamizh readers here in ThamizhNadu and abroad among the diaspora in USA.
Sri. RajeshNat and Arasi Madam will endorse my suggestion, I think,
Best Regards.

@parivadini ,@SankarK,
Thank you very much Sri RSR. How do I contact them? 'Lalitharam' ( Parivadhini) ( gamaam). And Sri SankarK.

I know Sriram V, though not closely, but he will be vey busy.

RSR

Post by RSR »

@vsn69
Dear Sir,
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=34857
---
section on musicians
This thread is about Valangaiman Shanmugasundaram.
----
After logging in, you can go to this page and we can get contact email of 'Parivadini' ('gamakam','lalitharam',RAMACHANDRAN)
There is also the link in the same page for his wonderful tamizh blog
-------------------------------------
Also of rajeshnat
--------------------------------------
We can get their contact number through email

=======================================
For an appreciation of 'parivadini' by rajeshnat,
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=30577
Please do not miss it..
Best Regards

vsn69

Post by vsn69 »

RSR wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 12:14 @vsn69
Dear Sir,
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=34857
---
section on musicians
This thread is about Valangaiman Shanmugasundaram.
----
After logging in, you can go to this page and we can get contact email of 'Parivadini' ('gamakam','lalitharam',RAMACHANDRAN)
There is also the link in the same page for his wonderful tamizh blog
-------------------------------------
Also of rajeshnat
--------------------------------------
We can get their contact number through email

=======================================
For an appreciation of 'parivadini' by rajeshnat,
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=30577
Please do not miss it..
Best Regards
Thank you Sri RSR
Kindest regards
vsn69

CRama

Post by CRama »

Lalitharam phone no.9980992830

vsn69

Post by vsn69 »

CRama wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 18:22 Lalitharam phone no.9980992830
Thank you Sri Rama.

vsn69

Post by vsn69 »

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.
I have been reading the posts and articles.

vsn69

Post by vsn69 »

What I will be looking for in the book is history that can read in posterity. The legacy left behind by Madurai Pushpavanam Iyer.

Manian

Post by Manian »