Varnams

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
chithra

Post by chithra »

Dear Sangeetha Rasikas:

I am new here, and I would like to start this thread on Varnams. Srkris, please feel free to move it to a better place should you so decide.

I have a request to you all:

many are the varnams that have been composed by the greats in Carnatic Music, but only few seem to be included in the concert platform. After Brinda-Mukta, MDR, SSI, no one appears to render Varnams in Yadukulakambhoji, NarayanaGowla, Ananda Bhairavi (respectively) anymore. Of course, I could be mistaken because I live abroad, and do not get to listen to many concerts anymore. Varnams are truly scholarly pieces, and a must for any CM aspirant / practitioner. Thiruvotriyur Thyagayyar, Veenai Kuppaiyer, Pattinam Subramania Iyer have composed many varnams, but very few of these compositions are known to the public at large. Syama Sasthry has 4 / 5 beautiful varnams, of which only Begada seems to have seen the light of the day.

Is it possible to share unusual varnams in this forum - please? Those of you who have extensive personal archives, would you please, please dig and excavate these treasures and make them known to everbody?

Lastly, but not the least, thank you all Mahanubhavulu for the extraordinary service you are rendering to CM itself and to the current and future generation of CM lovers. Words are insufficient to express the deep gratitude I feel towards all of you for your time, knowledge and generosity.

Chithra

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

To start with if you are not already aware, the nice collection of standard varnams by Sivakumar at the site
http://www.ecse.rpi.edu/Homepages/shivk ... ml#varnams

Our standard resource for unusual varnams is Lakshmanji.
I do hope our folks will share whatever we have with you. GOOD LUCK!

chithra

Post by chithra »

Thank you, cmlover, for the link. As you pointed out, Sivakumar has the standard ones. One of my books lists Varnams in ragams like Hemavathy, Lalitha, Simhendra Madhyamam, Janaranjini, Bahudari, Poornachandrika, Kannada, Amruthavarshini, Ghana Navaragamalikai (it has both sets of Ghanaragams) etc. etc. Unlike Kruthys, which one can figure how to sing from notation, Varnams require a teacher or at least its audio version (for me).

I have uploaded a beautiful Ata Thaala varnam in Reethigowlai, by TNS, though most folks may already have it. Here is the link:
Vanajaksha_Reethigowlai_Ata_TNS

Let me see what else I have in mp3 form, and I will upload them over time.

Chithra

poongavur

Post by poongavur »

the link seems to be down.

chithra

Post by chithra »

It was (and, is) working, Poongavaur. I had forgotten to give it as a link. Do try now.

Chithra

poongavur

Post by poongavur »

Thanks Chithra. Your link is working fine and I am able to download the reethigowla varnam by TNS. But I meant sivakumar's link to varnams (in fact all his pages seem down for the past few weeks -- at least I have been trying but not able to access them) :(

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

A varNa list that I compled ia available here:
http://www.geocities.com/promiserani2/varnams.html

chithra

Post by chithra »

Thanks, Lakshman, for the link. I will check it out. Meanwhile, if any audio of old / rare varnams is available and is shared - that would be wonderful.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

chitra
i open my account with a delightful one in mandari by MLV.
http://rapidshare.de/files/2671580/Mandari.mp3.html

One artist I was so fortunate to hear in concerts (and had the sense to skip dinner and not run behind the last 13 B bus from Music academy to T nagar AND LISTEN TO HER IN FULL, RIGHT UP TO THE MANGALAM!)

At other times I remember my learned friends rushing for MDR Concerts -making Sure they were on Time ( MDR's concert ! O boy , the Varnams are not to be missed , I could hear their voices loud and clear as they zipped past me)( and i was such an idiot not to go with them) :cry:

Strangely one does not come across semmangudis concerts with varnams frequently.I wonder why.
In all my years of listening I can remember only Suruti, Abhogi and may be one more
Any way here are some mixed up tracks of varnams.(NO I AM NOT TRYING TO HOODWINK OUR ELEMENTARY SCHOOL TEACHER WITH FEWER UPLOADS!
i am just trying to reduce the number of clips since all of them are 3-4 minute versions.
It may also prompt some more opening up after the downloads.
For those who are very very curious,
artists featured are TRS, Pasupathi and Somu
ragas are Sama,Nayaki,Sriranjini,Natakuiranji,Kanada,Kalyani,Kadanakuthoohala,Behag,Hamsadhwani and Sivranjini
(track 3 has a problem between 12th-16th minute-please ignore it)

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

just received permission to use pinakapanis recorded interviews/lectures in this forum.
in fact such a use of this material has been immensely appreciated.
More such tracks-lessons recorded over the years have been pledged for use here and elsewhere.
Further developments are expected in August 2005, when these sources visit India and Chennai
Your Download-Link: http://rapidshare.de/files/2683188/001A ... m.mp3.html

chithra

Post by chithra »

Sri Coolkarni:

I cannot thank you enough for your uploads. It has made my day! Ippo enakku thaliakaal puriyalai - avvalavi santhosham!

Will download and listen to them, and let you know; if necessary, will post re: who has sung what..

MLV is one of my absolute favourites - she was an incredible musician, esp. in manodharmam, and an equally grand human being. I shall forever regret her untimely demise.

Chithra

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

coolkarni

These uploads will be appreciated by Rasikas as well as Musicologists. Our thanks to you for bringing them to public light and to the folks for giving the permissions. It goes to prove that CM is both an art as well as a science.

meena

Post by meena »

kulkurnaji

the elementary school teacher also thanks u!
u really missed sree mdr concert??? oh boy!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

OK! Thank you Meena and Chithra. Here is the first of the files I uploaded. I am not sure if someone has already done so: this is from a live concert of ARI. If someone else has uploaded, I apologize.
http://rapidshare.de/files/2602357/01_v ... A.m4a.html

kalgada78

Post by kalgada78 »

Kulkarni Sir,
The Varnam Collection you uploaded is awesome!!
Iam hearing Kadanakutoohalam Varnam for the first Time..
Do you have any one rendering varnams in
Narayana gowla and Ahiri?I know that there are grand
Ata Tala varnams in these ragas but don't know if anyone
sang.
Thanks once again Kulkarni Sir,for those gems.
Parvati.

divakar

Post by divakar »

kulkarniji
thanks for the four tracks of varnams

meena

Post by meena »

Lji
Kadanakuthoohala varna who is the composer? thanku

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

am hearing Kadanakutoohalam Varnam for the first Time..
such a lovely singer - D Pasupathi
i had the pleasure of listening to him a few times , though In kancheepuram-the only sabha there operates on the terrace of ramas cafe-right across where adyar anand bhavan stands today.
Since the chimney is not very far away, there iis an added flavour to the concerts - i mean the fragrance of masala dosa, uthapapam etc.
There is one another unique tradition .right behind the artist is a blackboard with a chalkpiece.as the artist starts the alapana or kriti, anyone who knows the identity of the raga can walk up while the performance is on and write the name.If no one ventures then the artist pauses to announce the raga name after say 3-4 minutes from the start.
As a youngster i have attended a large number of chamber music concerts in HM in my hometown.Pasupathi is one CM artist who embodies that spirit with small gatherings-he can be electric! as he sings a kriti like say endaro Mahanubhavulu, I felt as though I had sung it myself.Such was the audio-visual experience-pure devotion at its best.
I am told That kalkshetra has MDRs lectures -with demos by pasupathi to go with Them(Divakar-Meena- are you listening)
Wonder if they will go the way of the Academy concerts and tamil Isai sangam concerts....

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

u really missed sree mdr concert??? oh boy!
meena

I MISSED THEM.MY FATHER DID NOT (ATLEAST THE AIR ONES)
i have posted a nice one for you and divakar AT AIR THREAD
---on a holiday for uploads !!!!
:lol:

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

coolkarni

Lecdems are off the quota. I am sure the school teacher will agree :D

meena

Post by meena »

Well the Principal has spoken, its upto Executive Director ;)

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

now that the exclusive-for carnatic music forum-x drive is fast becoming a reality , i have no reason for haste anymore.we have all the time in the world.
I am now beginning to see the wisdom of the quota system
we will settle down to a nice madhyama kala tempo....

chithra

Post by chithra »

Would some kind soul explain these coded exchanges - quota system....?

Oh, I see a glimmer - scheduled uploads - is that it? Please shed some light on it .

Kalgada/Parvathi, the Ata thaala varnam in Narayanagowlai, Maguve, has often been rendered by Sri MDR. Could you tell me who composed the Ahiri varnam? What is is its thaalam? Given the bhava of Ahiri I wonder if the Brinda-Muktha school ever sang it? If it was rendered in the Thanjavur Bhani maybe Sri Pinakapani's renditions and talks would be illuminating. It is a lovely ragam - a varnam in it be a audio boon to mine ears.

Chithra

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

forget the quotas.
TIME TO TEST THE X DRIVE

MANAKKAL RANGARAJANS LOVELY KHAMBOJI VARNA IS ON AT

http://plus.xdrive.com/u/166915332/1089 ... KNPWRfsWiT

NEED FEEDBACK
(I DONT KNOW HOW TO DOWNLOAD FROM X DRIVE MYSELF) :?:

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

CHITRA
we are trying to find the right balance between
a)the amount of uploads(not the basic purpose of this forum) in terms of number of links and gbs say in a days time and
b)the amount of discussions(the basic purpose of this forum) that take place.
I was guilty of uploading as though there was no tomorrow.
and hence am being reined in.
and cml continues to instigate me and watch the fun.

BUT I AM NOT GIVING IN.
THE MANAKKAL BEAUTY WAS ONLY A TEST TRACK.NOTHING MORE NOTHING LESS. :lol: :lol:

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Meena: I have not been keeping up with the downloading of the varNAs. But here are the kadanakutUhala varNAs:
kuvalaiyAkSi-GNB, nIvE rakSakuDavu-Mysore Vasudevachar, paramAnanda svAmi-Karaikudi Rajamani Iyer, sharaNAgata rakSaka-Calcutta K.S.Krishnamurti and sItA manObhirAma-Parameshvara Bhagavatar.

The Ahiri varNAs are: azhagu uruvAgiya-V.S.Gomatishankara Iyer, kanaittakka-V.S.Gomatishankara Iyer, ninnE kOriyunnadirA-Tanangambadi Panchanada Iyer, sAhasamEn svAmi-Pattamadai Krishna Iyer, vallamai taruvAL-K.Muttukumarasvami Varaghur.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

coolkarni

The drive to x-drive was smooth as silk :D Fast and functional!

HAPPY HOUR HAS ARRIVED!
ALL UPLOAD RESTRICTIONS ARE OFF!!

let us wait for more feedback since our members should all acquire "free" xdrive accounts first!

My only request to all is:
DISCUSS! DISCUSS!! DISCUSS!!!

Chitra

Don't worry about these prattles!
The day humour disappears from the forum is the day CML dies :cry:

divakar

Post by divakar »

kulkarniji
many many thanks for TKR-nIlAmbari. never listened to his nIlAmbari. i like when he talks and praises accomp.
what comes to mind is: M Chandrasekharan after SahAna AlApana..
thanks also for kAmbhOji varnam by Rangarajan (new artist for me). is he Sishya of SSI ? curious after that racy ....

thankx to the donor of another x-drive a/c

i feel the d/l are too many though they are samples of various artists. most of them are rare.
d/l can be made like medicine, taken in a timely manner.
thirst is always there, but this way of regular d/l by rapidshare or other means does not give time to digest.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

The songs dowloaded from the x-drive are divine! Thanks for uploading them Kulkarni sa'ab. And I second Divakar's thanks:
'uNgaLLukku anantha kOti namaskAram'!
Ravi

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

change in upload quota -
only twice a week !!

one a more serious note.
I fully agree with what Meena had to say.all our reponses were just for adding some pep into the proceedings.
We will cut down to a healthy level of uploads.

The whole day today I have spent in drafting a post on How I appreciate CM.
i am being reined in, you see....

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

coolkarni

CONGRATS!

You get an A+ for efforts :D
Now let us see the product!

meena

Be strict in your evaluation :D

kalgada78

Post by kalgada78 »

Hi Chitra,
I think,the composer of Ahiri Ata Tala Varnam is Patnam..
iam not sure though...
Let peers shed some light on it..
Parvati.

meena

Post by meena »

My thanks goes to the donor of the xdrive :)

divakarji
sree manakkal S. rangarajan -expert in singing Kamboji raga. We had a discussion on bboard abt him sometime. (I cant find the topic)

meena

Post by meena »

kulkarniji

No prob. d/l from xdrive. thanks

No more waiting in line for tickets/ SLOW d/l etc.

poongavur

Post by poongavur »

coolkarni: thanks for TKR's ambaneelambari & Manakkal's Kambodhi varnam. TKR's comments are probably apt.

poongavur

Post by poongavur »

Any idea who is providing vocal support to TKR?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Parvati:
I don't think Patnam has any songs composed in Ahiri.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

ny idea who is providing vocal support to TKR?
vairamangalam laxminarayanan
My thanks goes to the donor of the xdrive :)
i will introduce him after the test week is over.have a few small things to be sorted out.
as per his wish, i am getting ready with the best ariakudi concert i have for the inaugural bash.
ALSO
need somebody to volunteer to reupload all the tracks.from rapid to xdrive.we will have to fix that and give the password.
preferably someone who knows xdrive well.i was thinking of having folders on xdrive on the same lines as threads here.
or should it be just a long list of tracks ?
suggestions..suggestions please.
chitra
elsewhere , you have offered your services.but i still wanted to throw open this assignment, since this activity would be a continous process.-of organising the material there , in a meaningful way.it could be even two members.
my uploads are not a hindrance to me because i have ample time -since i run my own small business...

poongavur

Post by poongavur »

coolkarni, I would be happy to volunteer my time, if you need me. Although I have only downloaded from x-drive, I am confident of being able to do it. Just let me know -- my email is poongavur@gmail.com.

meena

Post by meena »

Kulkarniji

i would suggest divakarji for the assignment.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

more names please.
we can even rotate responsibilities every month

meena

Post by meena »

To be honest-i do not anyone else, since i have worked with divakarji i suggested him- for responsibility/dedication/job to get things done etc. etc.- u can sure rely on him.
(gee i hope he does not mind, posted without asking his permission)

I'll be glad to work/help him out!

meena

Post by meena »

kulkarnji
BTW- inconsequential (aka Varadarajanji) already has an xdrive account and is sharing wonderful gems with us.

divakar

Post by divakar »

kulkarniji,
let me know in what way do you need help.. i'll try whatever is possible by me

abadri

Post by abadri »

I can pitch in too. I'm going to be in town for the holiday
weekend here - so I can atleast sit down and categorize
the uploads on a per-thread basis. This can make the job
of the person that uploads easier - or even help split up the
task among a number of people.

-Badri

chithra

Post by chithra »

Ravi, here is the info you had requested re: composers for the following Varnams

rIthigowLai varNam (TNS): Ata Thaalam, Veenai Kuppaiyer
manDHAr (is that how this rAg is pronounced?) (MLV): Adi, HMB
bEgadA (sung by ARI, not Manakkal, Ravi): Adi, Veenai Kuppaiyer

Coolkarni Sir, I heard the Varnam tracks only today. Do you know any details about these recordings - the sound is very faint (I am not complaining; perhaps it is because I do not have any external speakers)?

Here are the details:

Track 1: all sung by TRS, I think

Vanajaksha, Behag, Adi, composed by TRS
Pagava, Adi, Hamsadhwani, PSI
Charanagathi, Adi, Kathakuthoohalam, ??
Vanajaksha, Ata, Kalyani, Pallavi Gopala Iyer (a profound Kalyani this)

Track 2: I think all sung by TRS - not certain about Nattaikurinji Varnam

Neranammithi, Kaanada, Ata, Poochi Srinivasa Iyengar
Chalamela, Nattaikurinji, Adi, Moolaiveettu Rangaswamy Nattuvanar (I love the reference here to distinguish one Rangaswamy from another, esp in this day and age when we are mostly numbers)
Sarasijaksha, Nayaki, Khanda Thriputa, ??????
Inthamodi, Saranga, Adi, Thiruvotriyur Thyagayyar

Track 3: I think all sung by TRS, except by the last one

Innamum, Sama, Adi, TRS
Gap
Neeve Rakshkura, Kathankuthoohalam, ADi, ???
Angayarkanni, Misra Sivaranjini, Adi, TRS
Ninnu Nammi, Devamanohari, Adi, ??? --Sung by Somu

Track 4: Part repeat of Track 3
Neeve Rakshkura, Kathankuthoohalam, ADi, ???
Ninnu Nammi, Devamanohari, Adi, ??? --Sung by Somu

Perhaps Sri Lakshman will verify my input and fill-in the questionmarks??

Lastly, the varnam sung by Manakkal S. Rangarajan, Tharuni, in Kambhoji, Adi is by Fiddle Ponnuswamy. Lovely varnam, rarely heard, though (I have heard Seetha Rajan on a tape)

Here is a link for a Varnam in Sunadha Vinodhini, Gananayaka, composed by N. S. Ramachandran, sung by Shobha Sekar:

http://rapidshare.de/files/2717897/Shob ... a.mp3.html

Sorry, Meena, if I am not following the quota system - got to make allowances for the newest kid in te block ; )

Chithra

divakar

Post by divakar »

thanks for listing chithra
Sarasijakshi ninne kori marulukonnadira (tv)--Nayaki--K/Triputaâ??Rudrapatnam Venkatrama ayyar
Nive rakshakudavu ninne nammiti (tv)--Kadanakutuhala--Adiâ??Mysore Vasudevacharya

chithra

Post by chithra »

Fogot to add this earlier, Sri Kulkarni - would love to help out. Let me know how.

Thanks, Divakar, for the two composers.

Nayaki and Darbar are allied ragams - it would be interesting to compare and contrast the way the swaras are handled in the 2 varnams. In Nayaki, TRS approaches the Gandharam in a special manner.

Chithra

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Neeve Rakshkura, Kathankuthoohalam, ADi, ??? --Sung by TRS
by d pasupathi

poor quality... yes .these, especially, trs are from a recent project of mine for converting some 45 odd concerts for a trs disciple.i have not found time yet to improve the quality -so i clipped these from semifinished tracks.