Varnam in Kapi

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
swaroopmv

Post by swaroopmv »

In this old notation book, I found a varnam in Kapi - "Pamaruni". I tried singing the varnam from the notation, but it didn't "sound like" Kapi - many sancharas were unusual, and some trademark ones were missing. Just wanted to know if anyone knows this varnam, or can provide any additional information on it.

Swaroop

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I have two versions of notations for this varNa - one is in kApi and the other in hindustanikApi. The latter is attributed to C.Rangiah. There are slight differences between the two versions.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I have sent you the varNAs.

vk

Post by vk »

I learnt a Kapi varnam in Adi talam. I did not know what sahityam it was set to. is this the same varnam thatis being dicussed here? The first cycle of pallavi goes as
N1,P,G2MNPG1,R,,,,,RMPN2D2N1D2PG1,RG1SRMP

Firts cycle of Mukthayi is NP,G1,RSRP,,MG2MN1PG1,RSN1D2N1PG1,RSN2SRM

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

Dear Lakshmanan,

I would greatly appreciate if you could send me a copy of the notation. eagerly waiting for it. if you want my mail id.

it is ganesh.mourthy@rediffmail.com

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

Most probably karNATaka kApi. It sounds more like kAnaDa w/ of course kharaharapriya traces(it is derived fromt his mELa).

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

like the 'sumaAyaka 'varnam -may be karnataka kapi

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

VK wrote:
is this the same varnam thatis being dicussed here?
No. This is a different one.

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

there is a site called nerur.com which lists most raagams in carnatic music and its swarams. I just checked for kapi and i wonder if this can be kapi. it does not make sense to me.

karnAtaka kApi |22| SR2G2M1R2PM1PD2N2S | S N2 D2 P M1 G2 M1 R2 S

http://www.nerur.com/music/ragalist.php

badari

Re:

Post by badari »

swaroopmv wrote:In this old notation book, I found a varnam in Kapi - "Pamaruni". I tried singing the varnam from the notation, but it didn't "sound like" Kapi - many sancharas were unusual, and some trademark ones were missing. Just wanted to know if anyone knows this varnam, or can provide any additional information on it.

Swaroop
Hi Swaroop,
Im learning this varna now in my class. Could you please share me notations and the composer name.
THough I have the notations, just wanted to verify it.

I can share a rough recording of swaras in a week's time.

bhakthim dehi

Re: Varnam in Kapi

Post by bhakthim dehi »

Sri. Subbarama deekshithar has mentioned about kapi in his Sampradaya pradarshini. He says it as a bhashanga raga belonging to the mela Sri with kakalinishada and antara gandhara as anya svaras. Strangely, he never give these anya svara marks in any of the compositions notated.
This supports the view that kaapi might have been sung as an upanga raga.
This raga not only resembles kaanada, but also the present day darbar in a few phrases.

jayvara

Post by jayvara »

Lakshman wrote: 22 Sep 2008, 20:24 I have sent you the varNAs.
Dear Lakshman,

Could you send me kapi varanam? Jay at DilJun.com

Thanks
Jay

appacharlakshmi

Post by appacharlakshmi »

I have the same doubt about this varnam. I am currently learning this Pamaru nee ee vela, and the prayogams are not like the other kapi compositions I learned. Perhaps we can exchange our notation and discuss it.

Thanks
Lakshmi

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

SrI R.K Sriramkumar recently discussed the flavors of kApi.

https://youtu.be/yCT4MwJXMEw?t=5950

The rAgA has 3 different flavors. And one more like darbar. venkAtAcalapatE sounds kanADa flavor.

sUma SAyaka has pretty much a flavor close to today's bhAShanga kApi without anya svaras. While the gAndharam handling is similar to kAnAda, I'd say it is not sounding kAnAda because the follow up sancharas after that landing are missing - for e.g: ga-ma-ri... , instead a meliflous ri-g-ma... follows and takes it away from kAnAda!

candana carcita (haririha mukta ) - ashTapati has some references to the word kApi twice and a reference to pancama rAgAm - which SrI TNS thinks is refering to kApi thAT - which is a cycle of fifth starting gAndharam.

This ashTapati could be tuned to the sUmasAyaka vaRNam tune in the dance tradition. Both have the same bhava of seperation. That will enshrine the pure southern kApi more popularly in performing tradition.