Ali Khans Studio at Kodambakkam (Near Rams Theatre)

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

I had a very rare experience of spending close to two hours at Ali Khans Studio at Kodambakkam .Was there with a friend who was looking for rare tracks of early Tamil Movies and Classical singers.

It was a wonderful treat to see a man lost in reverie.Right in the middle of Kollywood , he lives in a bubble which isolalates him from current trends in film music.

Names of old songs kept popping up and the tracks were located with ease.and with each preview , both the guys would start singing .Ali Khan would then name the year of the movie , the music director, the small episodes connected with the movie.
It was pleasant to see a young boy , armed with a list of songs -probably made by his grandfather- excitedly ticking each song after Ali Khan confirmed that he had it.
He was keen to know if he could have his copy that night itself (so remniscent of the way I used to pick my clothes from my tailor during diwali- I would be there two days before the due date , watching with excitement )

In between tracks , Ali Khan would lament -Is this all going to waste ?-
22000 tracks , an amazing memory and a great Love for that slice of history.

A retired Govt Servant , he now spends time at his office from 10am -2pm and again 4pm -8pm.

A wonderful place to visit if you are in chennai and looking for nostalgia.

BTW I collected two tracks which were labelled Chembai Subramanya Bhagvathar ,there .
The singing style is very similar to Chembai Vaidyanatha Bhagvathar.

http://rapidshare.de/files/22499055/Che ... 1.mp3.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/22498247/Che ... 2.mp3.html

As we walked out late in the evening, names like CS jayaraman , Kannama , Vadivambal,Honnappa Bhagavathar, SV Subbiah--- they all looked so glorious...

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Kulkarni sa'ab,
I am SO jealous! That must have been fun.
Ravi

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Coolkarni

Take us too into that dreamworld everytime you choose to visit there! We love to hear those ghoste through you as the medium!

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Coolkarni

That must have been exciting and fun.. Keep these things coming...

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Chembai Subramanyan was Chembai Vaidyanatha Bhagavatar's brother who performed together with him till 1937, after which Vaidyanatha Bhagavatar continued as a solo performer.

These two recordings were 78rpm releases of Chembai Subramanyan, and I got them from a friend a few months back.

These uploads are apparently not from very good sources, since there is a lot of pitch problems and disturbances, not to mention bad voice distortions. I will upload better copies soon.

1. Ramachandrena Samrakshitoham - Manji
2. Sariyevvare Sri Janaki - Sriranjani

Thanks coolkarni for alerting the forum about Ali Khan and his collections. I have spoken to him once over the phone.

meena

Post by meena »

chembai

do u have a pic of sree chembai subramanyan?
Did their sis. too perform/sing with them?

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

No I dont have a picture of him. Their sister (Narayani) was not a performer. She is still alive (I think nearing 105) and lives in Palghat. Her grandson (whom I know) is retired! ;)

By the way, here is the vastly better version of those two songs (download and unzip the file):

http://rapidshare.de/files/22577561/Che ... n.zip.html

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Srkris
Thanks

kaapi

Post by kaapi »

Coolkarni,

Very interesting .
Does the khan saheb have a working spool recorder ?

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

No I am afraid not.He has one, which is not in working condition though.

He mentioned that he has some very early recordings of Elvis presley which he wanted to get converted ..

I am myself struggling with some 100 odd spools waiting to be converted..

:cry: :cry:

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I am myself struggling with some 100 odd spools waiting to be converted..
Are you looking for a working tape deck? I can give you one if you can convert my spool tapes as well.

meena

Post by meena »

I can give you one if you can convert my spool tapes as well.
hee hee

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Meena
You guessed it right.You now know how i acquired that many spools and nonworking spool decks.;)

Lji.
I must accept your offer.A working spool deck is most welcome.I will be delighted to convert these .

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

How are you going to get them transported to India? The deck and the spools weigh a ton!

meena

Post by meena »

ha ha, Lji u are funny :)

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Why is it funny Meena? I am very serious. The offer still stands.

meena

Post by meena »

dear Lji
i know u meant well BUT its just that when i imagined u/anyone tugging those spools/deck that weighs a ton to india, gave me the giggles :)

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I am sure Coolkarni has connections and can have the items shipped to India without batting an eye!

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Lji
I was hoping that these were waiting in Mylapore and I could pinch it from here.
Never mind.I will get in touch with you over email .It will be easy if you know the contents.
I am presently inclined to believe that I could get you a solution for conversion at Atlanta (Raju Asokan) based on my discussions with him when he was here at my place for a week.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Perhaps there are more than nine ways to skin a cat ;)
(of course we cat-skin-lovers would like to ensure that the cat was dead (by natural causes) before the skinning operation starts ;) )

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Eww what a comparison!

arasi

Post by arasi »

coolkarni,
What a valuable source Alikhan saheb is to carnatic and related film music! When I am in Chennai, I would like to meet him. Is it possible?

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

arasi.
It is defintely possible.He is a retired gentleman spending time there between 10am -1 pm and again between 2pm and 4pm.
Locating his shop is very simple.
Get down at Rams theatre and keep walking on the same side towards vadapalani .This building is some 15 shops before the road takes a turn to the left (it is a oneway bypass-you cant miss it).First Floor .In case you pass this building , keep looking back .You will see a big sign painted on the side wall of the building , with portraits of all cine actors.
Some Tips

Keep a notebook and pencil handy , if you are given to bouts of nostalgia.
He will not hurry you up.So make it a point to list all those old favourites you thought you will never hear again..
Also do not hesitate to ask for previews before selecting for adding to the cds.
And once a track is started and his eyes close , you will have to keep bringing him back to Ground Zero.
Make sure you have lots of time on your hand (Wife , kids , nephews, cousins are a big handicap ,especially if they are not equally interested )
And Ofcourse a well stocked purse... ;) ;)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

I thought a purse would be a curse when in music you immerse
but a burse may help you in commerce ;)
Any way I wish a raasi for arasi ;)

arasi

Post by arasi »

You are really cool, coolkarni. Thanks for such clear directions. If I miss it, 'chaRRE tirumbip pArAyO?' you say. I am sure I will find the studio. No accompanying distractions by way of husband, kids, grandkids and so on.

cmlover, I do have rAsi for your verses, and I am glad. As for the burse, I shall carry a heavy one, considering I have until December to fill the piggy bank. I would keep my 'reputation' and not be a great spender--Iago sAkshi...

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

here are a few nuggets i collected , when i accompanied a friend recently

http://rapidshare.de/files/24971216/mm_ ... hariga.mp3

http://rapidshare.de/files/24969136/Track_1.mp3

http://rapidshare.de/files/24970963/Track_2.mp3

very very interesting tracks..

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks coolkarni

That nugget hides several of the old recordings (vintage) of MMD, KBS and of course MMI...

Please next time you visit please get the names of the singers too! I am racking my brains over that 'kaartikeya gaangeys..'.

Thanks again for the trip down the memory lane!

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Post by VISHNURAMPRASAD »

Kulkarni sir, The MMI hecharika ga rara is from the famous commercial release from Giri Trading co. which has Mohana rama, chakkani raja, RTP thodi. This is a Bombay concert of 1965 with MSG and Palghat Mani Iyer.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

deleted the track.
thanks.

meena

Post by meena »

vishunprasadji

welcome back! We can always count on u for sree MMI feedbacks :)

raju54

Post by raju54 »

CML sir
"'kaartikeya gaangeya" is by S.V.Subbiah Bagawathar

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thank you!
You made my day raju! I suspected all along...

raju54

Post by raju54 »

Track 1
1.Engum Niranthavan-MMD
2.Meyyana Deivame-Kannammal
3.Kathigeya Gangeya-S.V.Subiah Bagawathar
4.Maanasa- SVS
5.Koovuthu Paar- T.N.Manikkam
6.Kairatnama-Vadivambal

Track 2

1.CSJ-Kaatil vazharntha-ragamaligai
2.CSJ-Sooriyan Varuvarudhu
3.Trichy Loganathan-Ninaithale Inikuthada
4.Aparadha & Manavyala- Chitoor V.Nagaiah
5.Villinai Othha-by V.V.Sadagopan
6. & 7 by SGK

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thank you ever so much raju
I guessed the SGK, MMD,VVS but mistook kanammal for the young KBS. I was listening to Manikkam after about 60 years.

Lovely recordings!

Thanks again coolkarni for the treat...