Walk out during Thani????

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Perhaps we could discuss that over a cup of tea one day?

Generally, I would say that understanding is hard to come by, and that 'understanding' terminology has actually meant being able to reel off the definition, and then the definitions upon which that definition depends.

I mean stuff like this: Krovai consists of two parts. The first part is called 'the first part' and the second part is called 'the second part.... Yes, knowing the definition does help us to recognise a korvai, but it is not very enlightening.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Right. Up to a certain extent knowing the terminology helps in communication which is needed for getting a better appreciation of the fine arts like CM.

Try explaining how the vocalists know the end of the thani so they can take back control. You have to use terms like Farans, Korvai and Theermanam. May be the best one can do without any terminology is, 'look for fast based strokes followed by some structured playing which repeats three times followed by a short sequence of sounds played three times....' Sort of works but becomes quite wordy after a while. To a computer scientist you can extoll the virtues of this with their own terminology 'It is like payload and content acting as a protocol trailer/delimiter' :rolleyes: Terminogy again but in their domain!

Crisp terminology is fine since it helps in communication and education but with art forms like CM its usefulness is sometimes significantly reduced due to ambiguities and lack of clear and standard definitions. We also have to concede that art forms are such that we can only provide scientific methods only to some limited extent. It should also be understood that any such 'descriptions' should not confused with 'prescriptions' and so one should always expect variations from such descriptions.

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

Why the audience walks out of the thani??? Answer - Why don't everyone come and listen to music concerts??? Because they are unable to understand the ragas and also, unable to enjoy it. Being a percussion show, its very important that a person should understand the item that is being presented. So, as per my thoughts, majority of rasikas who come for concerts do not have the know how of the intricacies of the art of south indian percussion, be it Mridangam, Kanjira or anything. A student of the Mridangam can very well understand the patterns, the ideas that the artist is trying to present. But what is it that for the person who does know the tala pattern, nothing else??? Recently, I had attended a concert of Shri Neiveli Santhanagopalan with Trichy Sankaran and BS Purushottaman on the Kanjira. The moment Thani started, all went to rest room and I felt very bad. Its really an insult to Sankaran sir. Sankaran sir was unwell and did play around 40% of his calibre. But, it was awesome (to me).

Raghav

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

because they don't understand

So... they do understand the rhythmic complexities in kalpana swara?

We've been around this loop a few times, raghavt

vainika

Post by vainika »

raghavt wrote:Recently, I had attended a concert of Shri Neiveli Santhanagopalan with Trichy Sankaran and BS Purushottaman on the Kanjira. The moment Thani started, all went to rest room.
Hmm was the main item preceding the tani in tOya-vEgavAhinI by any chance?

bala747

Post by bala747 »

I hate this habit and I think it's disgusting, rude and extremely disrespectful. I have noticed that no Caucasian, chinese or even north Indian walks out of a carnatic concert once seated. The only people to walk out are us South Indians. It makes my blood boil to see people leaving in droves just when the violinist starts delineating the main raga or when the thani starts to play. These people have no taste in music and should have never been allowed to purchase a ticket in the first place. They give rasikas of music, especially in foreign countries a bad name (imagine if you were a caucasian watching all these people leave halfway during a Sanjay concert in Pittsburgh)? These people ought to be branded as congenital ignoramuses and never allowed within 500 metres of a music venue again.

Dammit if you need to pee do it before the concert. If people walk out, lock them out for good.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Dammit if you need to pee do it before the concert.
My big problem is that, if this is the case, the one point in the concert where I simply dare not leave is, of course, the thani!

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

According to our friend friend bala747 and using his own language about visiting the loo, there should be a notice board,' patients with diabetes' may please refrain from attending the performance. Afterall a visit to the loo is not at one's will and pleasure. It is a punishment for patients. gobilalitha

arasi

Post by arasi »

GBL,
This topic has been going round for ever. We all have our intolerance levels tested every now and then. At such moments, I immediately think of the collective mass of such moments that those perfrming on the stage have witnessed! I appreciate them for their putting up with it--and rising above it all to give us solid performances. The elderly vidvAns, as much victims to debilitating diseases, don't get up in the middle of a performance!
Somehow, 'audience' status gives more freedom, even to them! That is why they arrive at a performance rather late, and get up and go smack in the middle of a piece! All the same, I am immensely pleased when I see performers attending the performances of others, even when they are not part of an event which preceded the concert. I have seen and have heard of TRS being an exemplary vidvAn who sits through a concert like any other listener. There could be others. Recently, I witnessed TNS in the audience, listening to a good part of a concert. I have seen NSG arrive for his concert early, and instead of going back stage, come and sit in the audience to listen to the artiste who sang before him.
There are some (often in the Academy) who arrive late and make heads turn (and they like their entrances to be noticed while other stars just sneak in!), and after chatting with those sitting next to them, get up and leave!

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Give a 5 mins break before and after the main song.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

A "five minute break", like most five-minute jobs, will take considerably longer!

Intervals are usual in London concerts. I recall a performance by TNK... He started exactly on time, leaving many of the audience scurrying to their seats, announced the interval, saying it would be fifteen minutes, and started playing exactly fifteen minutes later, regardless of the fact that many of the audience had not returned. It was a lesson to us all!

girish_a

Post by girish_a »

Here's something interesting I observed during a recent concert. The concert was very good, and after a sumptuous Hemavati (SriKantimateem), it was time for Tani, and the mridangist started off. I fully expected the walk-outs to begin immediately. But surprise! No one ventured out. "Wonderful", I thought. This is such a refreshing change.".

Then, about 3 minutes into the Tani, an old gentleman gets up and makes his way to the door. Then, following the old man's lead, one after another, nearly a dozen people exited the concert hall. All within a minute of the old man setting the bad example.

It takes just one bad apple, I guess.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

HNBhagavan of Bangalore
Walk out during Thani is a great disrespect to the artists.Infact disciplene is lacking in our audience.Many people come to a concert and walk just after an hour or so.True there can be exceptions.Generally there is a mass walk out during Thani.I sometimes feel that an awareness program must be organised in this regard.
HNBhagavan

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

girish: I would fault the followers than the leader in this case. Who knows why he got up, he may have had health specific issues like what GBL mentioned. Whatever may be the case, that does not mean others should consider that as a blanket approval to walk out. Reminds me of the behavior of Penguins, they stand at the edge of the ridge ready to take the jump into the water. All it takes is one to jump and all other penguins will jump.

vnbharadwaj

Post by vnbharadwaj »

I think the Mridangam artists are annoyed more by rasiks sitting in the front row and keeping 'THAPPU' thalam than by people walking out.. If the rasikas understand that listening to music is itself a ;YOGA' demanding 100% attention and single minded concentration, such situations may be avoided.

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

To borrow a bit of humor from the Hilarity thread...
Don't drink too much thaNNI
Or you will be walking out during thani!
;)

talalaya

Re: Walk out during Thani????

Post by talalaya »

Was my post deleted? Was it so offensive? I thought it was pretty constructive?

Extremely poor Board Manners

harimau

Re:

Post by harimau »

Nick H wrote: 20 Feb 2009, 00:53 Perhaps we could discuss that over a cup of tea one day?
Caffeine is a diuretic and both coffee and tea have plenty of it.

So discussing it over a cup of tea will only lead to people leaving during the tani for a bio-break! :lol: