Popular ragas/kritis you don't care much for...

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
mazhai

Post by mazhai »

Sathej wrote:
mazhai wrote:Hark! O All Kamboji haters!
U r missing out on big things in life by disliking this SUPERCALIFLAGYLISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS ragam!!!!!!!!!
:)
Thats supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, I suppose :)

Sathej
....Dunno....my english teacher back in school taught us this spelling...!!!???!!! :)

mazhai

Post by mazhai »

vs_manjunath wrote:
bilahari wrote:kalyANi lacking in compassion, kindness, and consideration?! I beg to differ.
MMI's- Kamalambam bhajare
GNB's- Nidhi chala Sukhama/ Shiva KAmeshwarim
MLV's- Nija Dasa Varada
VanajAkshi both Adi & Atta Tala varnams ,

Kalyani haters must think once more ?

lets add Dikshitars Bhajare re chita to the list, shall we? :)

vallaki

Post by vallaki »

I think it will be funny, if we do start a thread for list of popular ragas and krithis we CARE FOR, We will perhaps end up with a lot of the songs on this thread , on that thread !!!!

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Aug 2009, 07:22, edited 1 time in total.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

mazhai wrote:
vs_manjunath wrote:
bilahari wrote:kalyANi lacking in compassion, kindness, and consideration?! I beg to differ.
MMI's- Kamalambam bhajare
GNB's- Nidhi chala Sukhama/ Shiva KAmeshwarim
MLV's- Nija Dasa Varada
VanajAkshi both Adi & Atta Tala varnams ,

Kalyani haters must think once more ?

lets add Dikshitars Bhajare re chita to the list, shall we? :)
mazhai- I AGREE WITH U- 200 %. In fact this song's AUDIO I was craving for & s_hari provided the link of this song sung by MS.I have seen bilahari has added some more songs to this list.

yE thavu nAra; Isa Pahimam; Sandehamu; sundari nI divya rupamu; another song of Tyagaraja which has "Kaveri chOTara vAsinim" in charanam.

unnai aLal vEre gathi(PSivan)- All these songs are Gems in Kalyani.

Incidentally, I love Kalyani.
Last edited by vs_manjunath on 15 Jul 2009, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

bilahari wrote:Manjunath, agreed! I generally tend to think of shuddha ma ragas as more pleasing and "warm". The prati ma gives a sort of dusky/dark feel in ragas like shaNmugapriya, simmhEndramadhyamam, ranjani, pantuvarALi, shubhapantuvarALi, varALi. I wouldn't particularly associate any of these ragas with warmth, though I love most of them (except pantuvarALi).
bilahari- Do U love DHARMAVATHI & HEMAVATHI ??

prashant

Post by prashant »

ragam-talam wrote:Kiravani has a well-defined identity...Simhendramadhyamam doesn't...
And I am unanimous in that!
(after Mrs Slocombe, who passed away recently - RIP)
There are enough weighty pieces in simhEndramadhyama to refute this statement. ninnE nammitinayyA, nIlACala nAtham, mammu brOCupaTLa, rAmA rAma guNasIma etc provide quite a detailed picture of the scope of this raga.

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

coolkarni wrote:Have the Khamboji haters turned a new Leaf :)

Here is a track too beautiful for words.
This is a rare kind of elevation , when I get to a point , where I can almost feel I am in Heaven and can sense the presence of Angels around .
Happens to me in tracks ,where KVN and MS are in full flight. Soaring with a grace and power , unmatched.......

http://www.mediafire.com/?zjmm3czdfjm

Enjoy this track.By KVN.
Dear coolji,
I will definitely listen to the tracks and tell you! Thanks a lot for the tracks. I think you can start a Sangeethapriya of your own, with such a huge collection! Thank you for sharing your recordings!

Also, I think I did actually fell in love with this raga after hearing an excellent 'shrI raghuvarapramEya' by DKJ! I just don't seem to understand why I just love any song sung by DKJ! He had a magical effect, when he sang!
Here it is,
http://sangeethamshare.org/kl/13-DKJ-VVS-UKS/ (The 5th piece)

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

srinivasrgvn- Since U like DKJ's renditions- U must now listen to DKP's " Sri Subramanyaya Namasthe" in Kambodhi( Commercially available). This grand song of MD in Kambodhi is almost an ACID TEST to Vidwans. After u start liking this song u must listen to ARI/GNB/MMI's rendition, if u have not listened to them already. Thyagaraja's parallel song is "O ranga shAyi".

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

Well, manjunath sir,
I have listened to 'sRi subrahmanyAya' by ARI and 'O ranga shAyI' by MSS. I wasn't that at all impressed. I am just not that attached to kAmbhOji! But, 'shrI raghuvarApramEya' by DKJ and any kAmbhOji piece other than these by Smt.R.Vedavalli are on my favorites! I haven't listened to DKP's rendition of 'subrahmanyAya'. I will surely try to get the piece and listen! Thanks!

Nia Rmohan

Post by Nia Rmohan »

arasi wrote: She has majesty and feeling.
She does. She is very majestic and there is something very royal about her. However I see more royal grace when i hear Naatai. But then again that is my opinion.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Nia, come back to her after 10 years or so. She will be there and of course she does not age but we age and that may make a difference. If not, try after 20 years. I have had my own relationship struggles with her over the years ;)

ignoramus

Post by ignoramus »

coolji

that kvn track is mind blowing, thanks very much

rajesh_rs

Post by rajesh_rs »

I guess Shankarabharanam tops this list for me. So bland and ordinary that I didn't feel like listening to it much. Love most of its Janya ragas, however. Kurai Ondrum Illai is a hot favourite to be disliked (Shivaranjani thaan kurai indha kriti-yil).

Also, Mohanam is sometimes not as satisfying as Bilahari, so I don't like Mohanam much. Not too fond of Thodi (Revati portrays grimness better).

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

rajesh_rs, Are you treating Shankarabharanam as just the major scale? Then I completely agree with you, it is bland and ordinary. But the raga Shankarabharanam has many more layers. In this thread we are not supposed to debate others' tastes, so it is more along the lines of a query.

rajesh_rs

Post by rajesh_rs »

vasanthakokilam wrote:rajesh_rs, Are you treating Shankarabharanam as just the major scale? Then I completely agree with you, it is bland and ordinary. But the raga Shankarabharanam has many more layers. In this thread we are not supposed to debate others' tastes, so it is more along the lines of a query.
As the major scale, it is bland as you said. I probably haven't listened to many compositions in Shankarabharanam, but didn't find the raga very fascinating. Liked some of its janyas like Shyama (superbly relaxing).

sankark

Re: Popular ragas/kritis you don't care much for...

Post by sankark »

Purist wrote:
bilahari wrote:anthuvarALi/ pUrvikalyANi (dreary, though the former is a lesser evil- only like fast swaras and neraval sequences in both; also not a fan of mInAkshi mEmudam)
Listen to MMI's rendition , you will become one.
Thats the whole point. Once you have listened to MMI's version, others pale in comparison be it chakkani or mInakshi or kAnakkan kOti or koluvaiyunnAde or kamalAmbAm bhajare - to name a few. He owns it then practically.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

atiparicayAt avaJya saMtatagamanAt anAdarO bhavati/malayE bhillapurandhrI caMdanatarukAStaM iMdhanaM kurutE
= familiarity breeds contempt. The hunter woman in Malayan forest burns sandalwood for cooking.

priyaram78

Post by priyaram78 »

Nice topic. After a lively list of songs, I feel off listening to Kaatrinile Varum Geetham. I feel sad and depressed. This song is popular and liked by all but I feel really sad whoever sings it.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

I've found Harikambojhi a real tough one - though only when it comes to raga alapanas. It kind of reminds me of a brick wall with a few soft spots in it and at one point was a hard raga to guess. It's an amazing achievement that Tyagaraja managed to do so much with it -- the feel of Rama Nannu brovara isn't something easily obtained in an alapana. Shankarabharanam for some unknown reason starts out like the royal emperor but becomes very demanding mentally after about 1/2 an hour. As of now, I'm still working to get over it.

ratanabhinav

Post by ratanabhinav »

1. Thodi (creepy , scary , sad )
2. Hemavathi esp . Sri Kanthimathim
3. Nagaswaravali ( too bland )
4. Janaranjani / Purnachandrika ( boring ! )
5. DEvamanohari
6. Chakravakam

sankark

Re:

Post by sankark »

Jigyaasa wrote: 22 Feb 2009, 13:58 shrI is among the rAgAs that attracted me to CM to begin with... and shrI mUlAdhArachakra is such a grand composition... It's so surprising ppl don't like the rAga... Same goes for gowLa... tyAgarAja pAlayAshu mAm, as prashant pointed out, when sung in chowka kAla is mind blowing...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkoTyJ0Dn7k SSI's tyAgarAja pAlayAshumAm

srI, gauLai not cared for :shock: ?? quintessentially carnatic rAgams.

Jigyaasa

Post by Jigyaasa »

Sri continues to be one of my favorites!

bhakthim dehi

Post by bhakthim dehi »

Huseni comes to my mind. A much neglected ragam with a great scope. I don't know whether this was mentioned by anyone else in this thread.

ratanabhinav

Post by ratanabhinav »

Rasikapriya ....is another raga ....don't what what it is trying to say ...... Of all ragas the most vivadi sounding one has been named ' rasikapriya ' . On a lighter note , Semmangudi used to label all vivadi ragas except nattai , varali as ' non-veg ' ragas and avoid them , I read somewhere . I second that . Though I would say some ragas like Kosalam , jhankaradhvani , vishvambari are really good .