Popular ragas/kritis you don't care much for...

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

For starters:

1. hindolam (yawn)
2. Karna ranjani (run. don't look back!)
3. krishna nee begane (yawn; of course, everything changes if Balamma is dancing)
4. akhilandeshwari (ho hum. cannot hold a candle to chetashri)
5. chinnanchiru kiLiye (yikes)
6. alaipaayude (yikes)
7. varali (gasp ! Don't "dislike" it but I think this raga has an exaggerated faux headshaking response from the audience. I can personally shake heads of people by playing this raga. So the response is sort of "programmed").

(Note: I edited the first item. I took out the name of one of my favorite artistes...I practically worship the ground he walks on. May I be cursed forever if I held any irreverence for him in my heart :-))
Last edited by Guest on 21 Feb 2009, 11:44, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 29 Nov 2009, 12:05, edited 1 time in total.

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

(1) Jinguchakka jingu songs sung towards the end of the concert.
(2) koniyADina nApai (kAmbhOji)- good night. Tell me when the song is over I'll get up.
(3) talli ninnu nera (kalyANi) - same case.
(4) innum paramukhamEno (pUrvi kalyANi) particularly TVS. When he sings ni oru silayO en murai tIrpadillayO, may head starts to shout ayyO ayyO viTTuDungO svAmi.
(5) rAgattilE siranda rAgamedu, rasattilE siranda rasamedu, kozhambilE siranda kozhambedu and similar umpty number of raga - ragamalika song. Who cares if you sing this. Why the hell can't you sing a couple of chakrams from the mELa rAgamAlika or something like that.
(6) man ki AnkhEn khOlO sAi

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 29 Nov 2009, 12:03, edited 1 time in total.

kedharam

Post by kedharam »

vishamakkAra kannan, mAdu mEikkum kannA kinds...please...

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Yay- another chEtashrI fan! I used to love akhilAndEshwari until I heard SSI's chEtashrI- now THAT is dwijAvanthi!

I have several dislikes (except varALi, I agree with your list as well):
1. thOdi (Find it a rather gloom-inducing raga, and I'm not fond of the R1-G2 combination either)
2. panthuvarALi/ pUrvikalyANi (dreary, though the former is a lesser evil- only like fast swaras and neraval sequences in both; also not a fan of mInAkshi mEmudam)
3. mOhanam (pleasant but hardly satisfying; not a big fan of ragas that don't employ the madhyamam)
4. Dharmavathy/ Hemavathy (bland)

Compositions I dislike in ragas I like (since I dislike almost all krithis in ragas I dislike):
1. parithAna michithe (doesn't really bring out the essence of bilahari)
2. sarasUda - sAvEri varNam (don't know why)
3. nijagAdasA (sounds a bit too sprightly; I prefer my sindhu bhairavi more tranquil)

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

(3) talli ninnu nera (kalyANi) - same case
We can make a market on this one. Of late, this is turning out to be my favorite kalyani krithi. I love it for its unique laya setup. This tells you how much tastes differ.

mohan

Post by mohan »

sai bhajans in a carnatic concert!

uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

vasanthakokilam wrote:This tells you how much tastes differ.
Indeed ! I love the diversity of it all.

BUT...we must draw the line where talli ninnu is concerned, and perhaps koniyaadu too. Could we get ksrimech barred from the forum (anyways how's he going to face Alathur Srinivasa Iyer in vaikuntam/kailasam someday ) ?
Last edited by Guest on 20 Feb 2009, 09:08, edited 1 time in total.

prashant

Post by prashant »

Uday_Shankar wrote:
2. Karna ranjani (run. don't look back!)
If it's an RTP [something I recently had the (dis)pleasure of hearing], run for one's life! :-)
Uday_Shankar wrote:
3. krishna nee begane (yawn; of course, everything changes if Balamma is dancing)
... or if Sri KVN is singing.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Uday_Shankar wrote:BUT...we must draw the line where talli ninnu is concerned, and perhaps koniyaadu too. Could we get ksrimech barred from the forum
Sure, we will bar dear ksrimech for 26 minutes and 11 seconds as we lock him up and make him listen to this: http://sangeethamshare.org/svasu/238-Sr ... alyani.mp3 ;)

prashant

Post by prashant »

Here are some of my pet dislikes that send me running for the aisles:

1. vAsanti, sumanEsaranjani, ratipatipriyA, sivaranjani or their ilk.

2. The kalinga nartana tillana which brings about longing visions of seppuku.

3. 20-minute renditions of abhangs with the audience clapping along especially at the inevitable 'viTTala viTTala vITTala...'.

4. OhO kAlamE - the single-most overhyped song of the last few years - Oho pOlamE is what I think when this is sung.

5. This 'homage to the trinity' pallavi that is unfortunately in vogue today. I think the trinity would voluntarily line up in front of a firing squad if they heard this balderdash that was being perpetrated in their names.

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

prashant wrote
If it's an RTP [something I recently had the (dis)pleasure of hearing], run for one's life! :-)

Why? did it turn out into karNa bhanjani (ear-breaker) instead of karNa ranjani(ear-pleaser) ? :)

prashant

Post by prashant »

Punarvasu wrote:prashant wrote

Why? did it turn out into karNa bhanjani (ear-breaker) instead of karNa ranjani(ear-pleaser) ? :)
Spot-on, Punarvasu :-)

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Seems to be that most of the complaints are owing to triteness caused by hyper abuse!

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

I cannot stand "tandanana hari ' brahmam okate with its terrible crescendo

Purist

Post by Purist »

bilahari wrote:anthuvarALi/ pUrvikalyANi (dreary, though the former is a lesser evil- only like fast swaras and neraval sequences in both; also not a fan of mInAkshi mEmudam)
Listen to MMI's rendition , you will become one.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 29 Nov 2009, 12:03, edited 1 time in total.

vijay

Post by vijay »

Great topic Uday. I will try to be honest. Disclaimer - these are just my personal opinions and any offense caused, can be attributed to my knowledge and taste rather than any limitations of the raga/composition.

Revathi, Sivaranjani and Karnaranjani top my ho-hum list. Coming to think of it Ranjani is not much of a favourite either so there may be there's something in the name (since the ragas are very different musically)

In general I prefer shorter versions, if at all, of the non-Vivadhi pratimadhyamas - Dharmavathi, Vachaspati, Hemavathi, Simhendramadhyamam and Lathangi in particular - although I have heard some fantastic renditions in each. OTOH I love Ramapriya, Shanmukhapriya, Pantuvarali and Shubha Pantuvarali is next only to Kharaharapriya among my favorite ragas.

Among the bigger ragas, I have no major dislikes but my standards are slightly higher for Purvikalyani and Kedaragowla which, IMO, easily succumb to mediocre manodharma/bhava.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Uday,
ksrimech is so young, the other world is a far cry for him (may he live to be a hundred!). At any rate, vaikunTam is the place for our scholar on vaishnavite literature!When I did not know him, I thought he was a senior citizen, well versed in vaishnavism!

Those of us who are in our golden years relish OhO kAlamE because it has the message clearly spelled out for us!
Yes, tastes differ, but at the end, too often repeated (and over the years too) songs will get the popular votes for unpopular krutis. Even the best of them are not exempt. I cannot imagine the fate of lesser songs in blah rAgAs...

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

Uday_Shankar wrote:
7. varali (gasp ! Don't "dislike" it but I think this raga has an exaggerated faux headshaking response from the audience. I can personally shake heads of people by playing this raga. So the response is sort of "programmed").
Stony Varaali was not to my liking till I heard Athira playing it. I was on tears to discover that it is not the raagaa but the performer who makes the difference.

vijay

Post by vijay »

Forgot compositions - I am with the others as far as the tukkadas are concerned although Nijagasadha, I feel, is a refreshing piece as far as Sindhu Bhairavi is concerned.

On the heavier krithis that find a mention, many of them are my favrourites - love sangathi laden krithis like Koniyadina. Deekshitar's compositions require gamakas to be sung with sensitivity so Bilahari's opinion may well have been coloured by mediocre renditions. I like Paritanamicchite as a filler for the sheer dexterity with which the sangathis have been woven but I agree that it is not the best that Bilahari (the raga!) has to offer.

Coming to compositions that I have so far failed to appreciate (I prefer that dislike since I have often rediscovered krithis that I did not care for much initially). In most cases, I find them enjoyable enough - it's just that I am not too excited when they are taken up:

Tiruvadi Charanam - I know this will cause some outrage but I feel it is not as good as some of the others in the raga. Bhava predominates IMO. Even in Tamil I prefer Kanakkan Kodi

Bhaja Re Manasa - I feel totally cheated when Abheri is not followed by Nagumomu!

Emi Neramu - I feel there are better options in Sankarabharanam and the krithi itself is a replica of Enduku Peddala

Sankari Sankuru - OK as a short piece but disappointing when it follows an alaapana. Esp when Sri Rajagopala is available!

Kamalaptakula in B Saranga, I find, is no substitute for Deekshitar's gems in the raga. I'd say the same for Ra Nidhi in Manirang. Both are good for short swaras though.

Venuganaloluni in Kedaragurla. OTOH the Saint's Tulasi Bilva is my favourite in the raga.

vijay

Post by vijay »

On popular songs becoming boring, I am not sure I agree. I must have heard Evari Mata or Dasarathe a hundred times but that hasn't dampened my enthusiasm although one does eagerly look forward to the rarer pieces. But one can't say the same for Chinnanjiru Kiliye...

kadambam

Post by kadambam »

Ono kalame surely tops the list.

vainika

Post by vainika »

I shudder at certain tyAgarAja kRtis - mostly the result of having listened to countless children forced on stage by their doting parents and teachers during American tyAgarAja AradhAnA-s; each kid made to belt out zhaminchuvA-zhEvazhuzhA-zhagOttamA-ninuvinA, telisi-zhAma-chintanatO and/or sobillu-sapta-swAzha; unfailingly out of tune, as afore-mentioned parents fondly record the episode for posterity on their Sonys and Canons...
Last edited by vainika on 20 Feb 2009, 15:03, edited 1 time in total.

gangar2758@vsnl.net

Post by gangar2758@vsnl.net »

SAD but rightly said!

Sathej

Post by Sathej »

Well, an interesting thread..I personally don't like Kalyani and Mohanam particularly when elaborated in lots of detail. Looking at other posts surprises me a bit. Karnaranjani, Revathi and even Varali!? Well, I like all of them :) Thodi and Bhairavi - could listen almost every day! Prathi Madhyamam Melakarthas - like almost all of them. Simmendramadhyamam, Shubhapanthuvarali. Coming to pieces that I don't like, I generally don't like post main trivially light pieces. Talking of crescendo effects, I really can't stand it. after a point. Even MMI's Swaram crescendoes fail to allure me. Chethashri and Akhilandeshwari - well, have heard both quite a deal. SSI's Chethashri as well. But, I would stick with Akhilandeshwari. For instance, I enjoy some of the Sangathis TNS sings at times in Akhilandeshwari..especially at Lambodara Guru Guha. SSI - well, his Amba Kamakshi in Bhairavi and Enduku Peddala in Sankarabharanam- to me, no matter who sings these, past or present, somehow SSI rules these Krithis :)

Having said all this, the artiste really matters a lot. I can listen to pieces/Ragams that aren't on my wishlist if an artiste really shows his/her creativity in the Manodharmam section. A couple of seasons back, was very fortunate to attend a lec dem at the Academy by Shri B Krishnamurthy. He sang a Shatkala Pallavi in Kalyani. And well, that was one of the all time best renditions I've heard. The Kalyani in Chowka Kalam was just amazing that day..And even certain post main pieces are enjoyable if rendered well enough.

Sathej
Last edited by Sathej on 20 Feb 2009, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

My choice is 'parathpara parameswara. Parameswara, is there no other kriti in vachaspati?gobilalitha

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

Great topic.
Least fav ragams: Kadanakuthuhalam, Simhendramadhyamam, Pantuvarali ("much-battered raga", as my friend used to call it), ... Mohanam, Hamsadhwani
Kritis: most tukkadas, abhangs etc, Ninnu kori (mohanam), Niriniri Gamagarisa, Nambikettavan (hindolam ragam plus the sahithya is too harsh), Abheri (too jazzy a ragam) - and, dare I say it...Vatapi! (I know it's blasphemy, but hey, at least I'm honest!)

That's all for a start.
;)

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

vainika wrote:I shudder at certain tyAgarAja kRtis
why only some? tyAgarAja's ishta deivam was rAma and that name appears in just about all his kritis. And it gets mispronounced as 'zhAma' without fail by these kids.
Years ago, TRS commented on this sad state of affairs during one of his trips to the US.

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

Ksi ramesh,

Koniyadina Napai - Kamboji is such a beautiful krithi - meditative kamboji esp during the charanam. It is long piece like Bala Vinave - Kamboji padam.

Talli Ninno Nera - DKJ version with Palghat Raghu mridangam is a pure delight.

Uday,

Nice thread. I agee with that list.

3 down in a concert - Pantuvarali often becomes so routine
Same with Anandhabhairavi.

I can not stand detail Lathangi in general. Venkataramana - Lathagi - Papanasam Sivan.
However, I love MDR's racy version of Aparadhamula - Lathangi.

Similarly, Simhendramadhyam can be boring, except I like Neethu Charanamule by Alathur Brothers.

Dharmavathi ragam has a cinematic touch.

Vachaspathi unless sung well Pahi Jagathjanani by MDR or Alathur Brothers.

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

Forgot to mention... Gowla -- BORING! (this pancharatnam is the one I wait to get over with fast)

uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

Omigosh ! Other rasikas are just as peevish, irrational and whimsical as me ! Wonder what more skeletons are going to come tumbling out of the closet. Keep 'em coming people :-).

cool,
I am totally convertible on all musical matters. Looking forward to your clips.

arasi

Post by arasi »

ragam talam,
I agree. gowLai is boring. Some have lauded Sri. To me, it is only one shade better than gowLai!
There are some rAgAs I like, but the handling of it or the song can spoil it for me.
As great as the panca ratnAs are, I get tired if someone sings any one of them in a concert. Then again, I love RTPs. Some say they don't. But they LOVE to hear one of the five a concert!
mOhanam is a tricky one. It can either enchant me or just leave me cold.
Those of you who know it, and were shocked about my not being moved by bhairavi--I've got news for you. I am warming up to it. Even liking it a lot. However, the choice of the song and the rendering plays a big part.
Last edited by arasi on 20 Feb 2009, 17:46, edited 1 time in total.

arunk

Post by arunk »

1. kuRai onRum illai - most popular, and one I most dont care about. This wins by a long mile for me. Yes I do have one kuRai kANNA! What's up with the the ragas in this song? Sivaranjani? And then sindhu-bhairavi (see next point)? Somehow the tunesmith missed hamsAnandi.
2. *Any* song in hamsAnandi or sindubhairavi. I dread rAgamAlika slOkams (or viruttam) because I could almost sense the inevitable change to one of these - and I know it will be followed by SrinivAsa tiruvEnkaTa muDaiyAn or venkatAcala nilayam. A nice way to kill the entire beauty of a ragamalika.
(A distant) 3. krishna nI bEganE - or pretty much any song in yamunakalyani
(A distant) 4. songs in mohanakalyani. Drab.

Arun

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

ksrimech,
How can you say this about koniyAdina..!
only a couple of centuries ago, I would have challenged you to a duel for this affront. it is actually an unquestionable masterpiece. It has the best SAhityam - Baludau markandeyu.. and kratubhujulu... etc. An excellent chitteswaram to go with that. unless you have heard a glut of mediocre renditions like the Srirangam Gopalaratnam one {ordinary AlApana, bad krthi rendition,horrible neraval and atrocious swarakalpana; it is so un-aesthetic, it makes you wish you were on an-aesthetic}; how can koniyAdina figure on a don't like list???

Ragam talam, arasi,
Poor gaula,has suffered so much at the hands of our vendAda vandals, I wish I could convince you about the merit in this remarkable, dignified rAga with so much potential.
take my word for it,(please) gaula is a very very good, respectable, sincere nice rAga, once you get to know it. SrI hasn't got the treatment it deserves. It too, is a simply brilliant rAga weighed down by bad renditions

Ayyayyo, who will champion these deserving underdogs, when the whole world is besotten with slumdogs..
I protest... Will set up rAga-krti rights commission, to give redress for trodden,downtrodden, downplayed, misrepresented, disused, misused and abused rAgas and krtis.

All those nalinakanthis and mohanakalyanis and himsadhwanis and hackneyed kalyanis with Sa-less pa-less phrases; madhyamAvatI-s with nn-rr-mm-nn-RR phrases.BOOOOOOOOOoooooooooOOOOO!

I will go to Hanuman temple and get Ayush-homam done for Gaula, Sree and KoniyAdina..

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

Arasi,

Sree ragam ? to this list. Such a grand raga; Mangala Navavarna krithi - Sree Kamalambike or Sree Mooladharachakra. Ramnad Krishnan or MDR's versions of Sree ragam are always grand. I am never tired of Ariyakudi's Endaro.

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

I will go to Hanuman temple and get Ayush-homam done for Gaula, Sree and KoniyAdina..
keerthi, you had me literally rollicking with laughter!
I will join you for Sri ragam and Koniyadina...
(In my opinion, Koniyadina is a Kambhoji masterpiece)

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

arasi wrote:Those of you who know it, and were shocked about my not being moved by bhairavi--I've got news for you. I am warming up to it. Even liking it a lot.
Finally some good sense! ;)
And how about Mukhari (the 'azhuga ragam' as you characterised it some time back)?

ramanathan

Post by ramanathan »

arunk wrote:3. krishna nI bEganE - or pretty much any song in yamunakalyani
Arun, this is one peeve I had in common with you, until Coolji disabused it with a Balasaraswati concert that contained an earthy, rustic yet mind-blowing Krishna Nee.
arunk wrote:4. songs in mohanakalyani. Drab.
Agree, along with hamsanandi.... ughhh

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

This is going to be very funny but:
Almost all of the above mentioned ragas(not all the songs but the ragas from page 1) are my favorites(except Simhendramadhyamam).
Simhendramadyamam seems to be such a bore!!
I hate it because it is such a Shanmukhapriya impersonator!! And Shanmukhapriya is so SUPERB!!!
See how a Nishadam makes such a difference(to me)! Many of us dont like Simhendramadhyamam I think!
And another thing I don't like is singing Neraval in telugu kritis!! I mean a neraval line should be very special i.e. the line should convey very good meaning or the line must be somewhat special! But certain telugu lines are so non-understandable(is my grammar right?)!! Once I went to a BJ concert and she sang neraval in a sunadhavinodhini kriti of tyagaraja(I think). In the charanam, some line that began with "Paluku Paluku" or something like that was elaborated! Oh my god, it was so boring!!!
Are there any other telugu-neraval haters??
Oh yes! Bhairavi is in my hit-list along with Kamavardhini(how boring!) and Krishna Nee Begane seems to be such a bad Yamuna Kalyani!!
Last edited by srinivasrgvn on 20 Feb 2009, 19:54, edited 1 time in total.

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

Im happy to announce the most boring and dreadful song ever:
"yEmaninnE" in mukhari!!
What a boring mukhari!! Nothing compared to my favorite "enthaninE varninthunu shabarI"! I think it is the ultimate mukhari!! That song was created for mukhari! Do you all think so?

arunk

Post by arunk »

ramanathan,

reg krishna nI bEganE - I will be blasphemous and say I have seen the balasaraswati video and the song is still boring, and I didnt think the dance was the "greatest ever" either ;) - yes great abhinaya no doubt, but still not as much as it is hyped. I guess it is a turn off since it has been used in more than an occasion (even on a prominent stage last year) to put down all other dances, sort of like B&M music from B&M fans. I do like B&M music, but don't think its the greatest thing since slice bread (or even greater than slice bread as some may claim :) )!

Sorry - I know is perhaps needlessly controversial (and somewhat tangential)

Arun

arunk

Post by arunk »

srinivasrgvn - We dont have to agree, but you asked "Do you all think so", and so I would say I disagree on just about just about all of your points
1. Love simhendramadhyamam. Love shanmukhapriya also, but a notch lower than simhendramadhyamam. I find simhendramadhyamam to be weightier and shanmukhapriya can get lighter (perhaps owing to stronger presence in film music i.e. my mind tends to make a correlation - i am not implying that film music is somehow influencing classical renditions :) !).
2. Love (good) neravals - any language incl. telugu
3. Love bhairavi
4. Love enta ninE. If you want a "toned down" mukhari, I would put "brahma kaDigina pAdamu"
Last edited by arunk on 20 Feb 2009, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

arunk wrote: If you want a "toned down" mukhari, I would put "brahma kaDigina pAdamu"
arunk, I don't know, I'm asking:
Do Brahma Kadigina Padamu and Krishnam Kalaya Sakhi sound quite same??I haven't heard Krishnam Kalaya fully but if you know, please tell.
Im sorry I'm deviating a bit but don't some of you think that almost all songs in Nadanamakriya sound exactly the same??
For example, Pahi Pahi Jaganmohana Krishna and Karuna Jaladhe Dasharathe?
Even Bhajaswa Sree Tripurasundari I think, I haven't heard this kriti that well.

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

annamalai wrote:
Dharmavathi ragam has a cinematic touch.

Do you like its close relative Madhuvanthi? I love madhuvanthi. Especially the Lalgudi Thillana.
keerthi wrote: Poor gaula,has suffered so much at the hands of our vendAda vandals, I wish I could convince you about the merit in this remarkable, dignified rAga with so much potential.
take my word for it,(please) gaula is a very very good, respectable, sincere nice rAga, once you get to know it.
Keethi, I am laughing my head off!! You seem to think that Gaula is a human!! The funniest part is "once you get to know it"!!

arunk

Post by arunk »

yes both are somewhat similar in general feel.

nAdanAmakriya - the raga itself has a limited range melodically (one octave ni in mandra stayi to ni in madhya stayi). It has to differentiate itself from MMG (same structure, wider scope) within that limited range which implies specific phrases which you would find in all songs. That could be reason. But this is probably true for many minor ragas.

arasi

Post by arasi »

ragam-talam,
Thanks for appreciating my growing interest in Bhairavi. However, you are mistaken about my relationship with cousin mukhAri. She is on of my favorites list. I have defended her against those who call her a cry baby...

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

keerthi wrote: Poor gaula,has suffered so much at the hands of our vendAda vandals, I wish I could convince you about the merit in this remarkable, dignified rAga with so much potential.
take my word for it,(please) gaula is a very very good, respectable, sincere nice rAga, once you get to know it.
Keethi, I am laughing my head off!! You seem to think that Gaula is a human!! The funniest part is "once you get to know it"!!
This 'humanizing a ragam' triggers a thought...
how much fun it would be to come up with a crime/detective story with various ragas playing the roles of victim, criminal, sleuth, witness etc. etc.
Let me work on it...
:)

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 29 Nov 2009, 12:02, edited 1 time in total.