Popular ragas/kritis you don't care much for...

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

vasanthakokilam wrote: See if this helps. For every comment like 'I hate this raga', ' I can not stand this krithi', there are 1000 other silent rasikas who love it ( and probably get offended/hurt too ). By default, we should assume so and use that as a balm ;)
At one level, I think Carnatic music itself sucks :-). Why would anybody be "hurt" by that sentiment ? On the other hand I find an opposing view most enriching, refreshing and challenging. Are we so unsure of our likes and dislikes ? Is this the Danish cartoon syndrome on a smaller scale ?

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Killing of sacred cows of many of the rasikas is bringing hamburger. Shortly one will now start a McDonald or some fast food restaurant, preferably vegetarian, that all rasikas can enjoy.

vijay

Post by vijay »

Vk but the performer does make a HUGE difference to the quality of the krithi being rendered....

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Vijay: Oh yes, definitely.

Just wanted to point out one can take asylum in such a thought when a great masterpiece is disliked by someone but for all we know, that person may just not like it no matter who sings it. It is only a statement of that person's inner view. I am also echoing Uday's point 'We have to be confident about our own likes and dislikes and not let others opinions disproportionately affect ours'. I agree it is easier said that done when our likes and dislikes were probably cultivated long time back based on other's input. I would say that is part of the maturation process ( in this case it is not age related ).

The 'defense' can come from getting offended or can come from strong convictions about own internal relationships to those ragas and krithis and our deep appreciation of it ( as Keerthi aptly mentioned )

arasi

Post by arasi »

Uday,
your hat has been shrunk by a shrink--
A retired shrink is a shrunk too, I think...

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Interesting thread, for sure!

And, the artiste makes a difference - no doubt about that.

Looks like there are some like me who are not thrilled by a paridAnamicitte in bilahari.

I also feel most of the opinions are based on listening to vocal renditions.

I am partial to vINa renditions and have been listening to some of my favourite renditions for many years. And, I still enjoy them, even though they are rAgas mentioned frequently above in this thread!
Having said that, I must list at least some of them:
inta kannAnanda (bilahari)
praNamAmyaham (gauLa)
nIkenduku dayarAdura (simhendra madhyama)
bAla gOpAla (bhairavi)
jnAnamosagarAda (poorvi kalyANi)

I better stop here!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Uday_Shankar wrote: At one level, I think Carnatic music itself sucks :-). Why would anybody be "hurt" by that sentiment ? On the other hand I find an opposing view most enriching, refreshing and challenging. Are we so unsure of our likes and dislikes ? Is this the Danish cartoon syndrome on a smaller scale ?
Now you hit the jackpot! We have heard kalyani haters, kharaharapriya haters, todi haters etc.,
and now cmhater! My antipodes :)
even my super shrunk hat (as per arasi) will no longer fit you since you have become too small :)

But don't be too sure! There are enough jihadists in this Forum who will start clamouring for your eradication :)
God (if there is one :) help you !
but perhaps this mod will :)

lifeisasong

Post by lifeisasong »

Kurai Onrum Illai without a doubt. And some of the group renditions at the Thyagaraja Aradhahana at Thiruvaiyaru, that I have heard only on youtube. Pure torture.

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

-
Last edited by srinivasrgvn on 28 Dec 2009, 08:59, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

Excellent cmlover!! Really superb!! I can't thank you enough!!

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

vasanthakokilam wrote:But I am curious about those who mainly like the immediately attractive hooksy songs view the heavy ones.
The longer you take to fall in love with a song, the longer you will appreciate and enjoy it.

This is a theorem that I independently arrived at many years ago after listening to a Ghulam Ali cassette a few hundred times.

Jigyaasa

Post by Jigyaasa »

shrI is among the rAgAs that attracted me to CM to begin with... and shrI mUlAdhArachakra is such a grand composition... It's so surprising ppl don't like the rAga... Same goes for gowLa... tyAgarAja pAlayAshu mAm, as prashant pointed out, when sung in chowka kAla is mind blowing...

I was equally shocked to note that some1 finds hEmAvati "bland"!!! IMHO, it's one of the most mystical rAgAs I've heard... It has a rather esoteric allure, esp when it's not sung as (khpriya - shuddha madhyamam + prati madhyamam). koniyADina-bashing was also too much to stomach... What a magnificent composition!

rrao13

Post by rrao13 »

In my opinion, if you like the lyrics of a krithi, you will like the song and of course the raaga. In fact you may like it to such an extent that you may not even care about how good the performer is.

My personal example is Krishna nee begane baaro....I can just imagine the Supreme Lord Shri Krishna dancing and coming slowly... and draw a glorious mental picture all His great leelas. As Srimadacharya put it so eloquently ... "karuNApUrNa varaprada charitaM GYApaya me te"

Harihi Om, Shri Krishnarpanamasthu.

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

vasanthakokilam wrote:
Just wanted to point out one can take asylum in such a thought when a great masterpiece is disliked by someone but for all we know, that person may just not like it no matter who sings it. It is only a statement of that person's inner view.
While it is fully understandable, that tastes are different " Loko Binna Ruchihi ", musical preferences can differ among rasikas. We should respect that.

One of the reasons for the pleadings to rasikas is to request these folks to give a chance to listen some other renderings before making up their mind for sure.

For e.g. Paridanaminchithe is a the "bad" list now of many rasikas. That is fine. BTW, I love the rendition of this krithi by MDR, esp. in the 1967 Music Academy concert with CS Murugaboopathy mridangam. What a musical rendition. MDR in his lecdem about Tiger V also has remarked that his Guru used to sing this krithi with abandon. On the other hand, I have heard mediocre or mechanical renditions of this krithi by some other musicians. In my view, when I think of Paridanaminchite, only MDR's Music Academy concert is the reference.

I have one theorem - Some musicians are great or have a penchant for some ragas.

Rahul Dravid - cover drive, Laxman - on drive, Tendulakar - straight drive....

BTW, one of the best kamboji phrasing I have heard is in TNR's Pallavi of Subhapantuvarali raga. He starts ragamalika in Kamboji, the first phrase is out of the world.
Last edited by annamalai on 22 Feb 2009, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

annamalai: I love Paridanaminchithe as well and I was a bit surprised that it figured in the list of more than one person. But so be it. I think I like it for the reason that others may dislike it. It is not the usual bilahari krithi, the bilahari personality is not revealed in an 'in your face' manner. It is a more gradual 'reveal' and at the same time it is quite a brisk composition due to tight packing of swaras. Instrumental renditions may have an edge here.

And the bad rendition theory may apply for this krithi. I once heard a horrible version of it from a yesteryear megastar who treated it like one of those desadi thala small krithis of T and finished the whole song in three minutes!

As I wrote earier, for each krithi that is in the 'dislike' list of someone here, there is a silent majority that loves the same krithi. May be, after this thread goes into hibernation, we can conduct a poll about how many people like the krithis mentioned here and put them in their top 20. If we keep it an anonymous poll, I bet even the much maligned kurai onrum illai will figure there ;) ( who is going to do ayush-homam for that song at the hanuman temple !! )

vainika

Post by vainika »

sureshvv wrote:The longer you take to fall in love with a song, the longer you will appreciate and enjoy it.
For me though, love-at-first-listen is quite a reality, and is more often than not based on the madhyama kAla (yes, I reveal my biases here).

For instance, I was deeply and instantly moved when I first listened to such passages as
hATakakShEtra-nivAsa hamsa rUpa chidvilAsa
navatulasIvanamAlam nAradAdi munijAlam
himAdri tanayAnana pankajahiraNyagArbhAya sumanasE
jaladharasannibhasundara gAtram jalaruha mitrAbha shatru nEtram
dharmAdhyakhila puruShArtha pradAyaka guruguhakumArAya
shatAyuShprada-bhaktamanDara shankAbhiShEkAdyupachArO

To this day I get goosepimples when I listen to these, and to a few other compositions such as the SS svarajatis.
Last edited by vainika on 23 Feb 2009, 00:40, edited 1 time in total.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

MDR's Paridana Michithe is an aberration for me (I enjoy anything in Bilahari that he sings). My general complaints are exactly that it seems to require a very pacy rendition and I don't "get" much Bilahari from it, just like the swarajati Rarevenu (though I dislike that one much, much more). But it may also be that it's the most common krithi sung/played in the raga and I've grown immune to its charms (which I once felt, no doubt).

vasanthakokilam

The YKK charana swaram of the 'Valachi' navaraga malika varnam makes me go ''What is up with that Sri. Patnam?'. The rest of the 8 raga segments are of course superb but I always wondered why he picked YKK for the shortest segment when YKK requires a lot more space to bring out its essence. In an MLV rendition of this varnam, after the last chitta, she does kalpanaswarams on each raga and she injects some more YKK there and the violinist's response was even better, playing YKK over multiple avarthanams. I can sense what may be going on in the vionist's mind: "I am going to set this thing right!!" ;)

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

The navarAga varnam seems to be a composition of Kothavasal Venkatarama Iyer, not Patnam.
See here: http://rasikas.org/forums/post106580.html#p106580

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

keerthi wrote:b) re the detective story with rAga characters, you may want to read Vidya's short story? with the older ragas sitting around and reflecting on their past glories, while younger rAgas preen themselves in the background.
Wow, is there a link to this story somewhere?

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

cmlover wrote:But raga bashing, tala bashing, ragam-talam bashing :) is OK!
This coming from 'cmlover' is a bit sad.
But then, such is life.
;)

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Ya, the YK section of Valachi isn't to my liking at all. If I hadn't specifically learnt it as YK, it could've been any old ragam to me. The Kedaram and Sri portions of the varnam are my favourite.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

ragam-talam
I couldn't resist the opportunity of double-talk :) (no offense intended)
As much as arasi is promoting MAS (Mutual Admiration Society) to which many of us belong;
we also have an elite MBA (Mutual Bashing Associates) to which we belong (enlist musicfan/arun/rajumds/kannama/preposterous(where did he/she go?)...(more are welcome) :)
What is the spice in life if there is no wit and sarcasm ?

As a shrink I know inside everyone of us there is a sadist and a masochist waiting to get out!
Live long and prosper to enjoy and rip-up CM!
:)
..but then while this whole thread is about parts of cmhaters what is a cmlover doing here?

How can I ever hate any of CM. I only hate when CM is murdered in kritis /ragas or renditions.
I love all of CM equally; yes! all ragams, talams, ragam-talams command my respect and love!

vasanthakokilam

ragam-talam wrote:The navarAga varnam seems to be a composition of Kothavasal Venkatarama Iyer, not Patnam.
See here: http://rasikas.org/forums/post106580.html#p106580
Thanks r-t. That thread is quite illuminating. What an endearing imagery it is that Kothavasal Venkatarama Iyer wrote his compositions with a chalk on the walls of his house. And some nostalgic memory that it talks about places like poonthottam, nannilam etc. which are not that far from our native place. In fact, I have heard about Kothavasal quite a bit as a kid, may be there was someone known to our family who hailed from that village.

Patnam got away scot-free. So, 'What is up with that YKK segment, Sri. Kothavasal ?' ;) May be he ran out of space in his writing wall at his home or his disciples made some mistake while copying it. ( just kidding, I love the rest of the varnam )

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Yes VK
giving all that credit to Patanam who is a sishya of KVI for those wonderful varnams is unjust!
Thanks to ragam-talam as well as vidya's illuminating reference!

vainika

Post by vainika »

ragam-talam wrote:
keerthi wrote:b) re the detective story with rAga characters, you may want to read Vidya's short story? with the older ragas sitting around and reflecting on their past glories, while younger rAgas preen themselves in the background.
Wow, is there a link to this story somewhere?
There are two in this genre

http://themememe.blogspot.com/2008/11/raga-parody.html
http://themememe.blogspot.com/2008/12/rival-ragas.html

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks vainika for those insightful educational blogs!

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

Naan oru vilayattu bommia, bommia, bommia. Let me narrate a story. In villages, , SA,RI,GA,MA pattu (that's how the villagers refer to carnatic musc )used to be arranged in the small temples during festivals .Once a poor Bhagavathar grabbed the chance. The crowd consisted of sleepy villagers , cows ,cockroaches ETC .Bhagavathar started singing 'nanoru vilayattu bommia,repeating bommia, bommia, bommia to impress the villagers . Suddenly one drowsy villager got up sayig SAAMI KOOPTEENGALA(SAAMI, DID YOU CALL ME) . His name happened to be BOMMIAH.!!!! GOBILALITHA. i HAVE ALREADY MENTIONED IT IS A STORY!!!!

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

What with keerthi's Ayush-homam for Gowla and Sri,
and Vidya's hilarious "And then they heard a loud GGRS and in walked Darbar hobbling on his crutch"...
it's getting funnier and funnier in the world of CM!
;)

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

cmlover wrote:As a shrink I know inside everyone of us there is a sadist and a masochist waiting to get out!
Perhaps the sadist can torture the masochist and end up with a win-win situation.
This way neither of them has to come out and hassle us!
;)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Within and without :)

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

Hmm, looks like this thread has finally run out of steam...

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

I am sure everybody will now love:
'pavamaana suthuDu...'
:)

arunk

Post by arunk »

arunk wrote:1. kuRai onRum illai - most popular, and one I most dont care about.
I changed my mind - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMxufQjyYaY :) ;)

Arun

narayan

Post by narayan »

keerthi wrote:ksrimech,
How can you say this about koniyAdina..!
only a couple of centuries ago, I would have challenged you to a duel for this affront. it is actually an unquestionable masterpiece. It has the best SAhityam - Baludau markandeyu.. and kratubhujulu... etc. An excellent chitteswaram to go with that. unless you have heard a glut of mediocre renditions like the Srirangam Gopalaratnam one {ordinary AlApana, bad krthi rendition,horrible neraval and atrocious swarakalpana; it is so un-aesthetic, it makes you wish you were on an-aesthetic}; how can koniyAdina figure on a don't like list???

I will go to Hanuman temple and get Ayush-homam done for Gaula, Sree and KoniyAdina..
Ayush-homam alert for Koniyadina successful in micro-corner of universe. As soon as I found the Ramnad version, I have got to work. It is a long haul, but well worth it, because the journey is great. And in my case without even knowing the significance of the sahityam. Would welcome a brief (or long) commentary on Baludau markandeya or kratubhujulu or anything else, for info. But the flow of the song is tremendous. Will vote for it as a masterpiece. Ramnad's beginning of the anupallavi is masterly understatement, never to be repeated.

shripathi_g

Post by shripathi_g »

Got late to this thread but found it very interesting. The only raga that I knowingly dislike is Kalyani. I immediately skip it if it finds its way into my ipod and before a concert, I pray that the main is not Kalyani. If the main is a Kalyani, I won't be fully satisfied. The reason is, I cannot associate any emotion with the raga and also probably because, as a kid, I remember someone referring to Kalyani as Kazhudhai (Donkey) kalyani meaning that even a donkey's braying will sound like Kalyani. Incidentally, I was singing Kamboji the other day and someone asked me if I was singing Kalyani. :D. I'm not a big fan of Harikamboji either though I like Pamalai, Entara ni, (Dinamani on rare occasions)

Koniyadina - I can totally understand why someone would not like this if they have not heard the 'right' renditions. Sanjay's rendition in MA blew me away and that was the first time I came to know about this krithi. I immediately heard as many renditions as possible and was very disappointed. MSS, Gopalratnam, etc haven't done justice to the krithi. The only renditions I approve of are those of Sanjay and MDR with all the sangathis. A truly magnificient krithi! Same with Mari mari ninne. If it's not sung with all the sangathis, it can sound a bit drab.

Sri - Apart from having vested interests ;-), I've totally fallen in love with this krithi after listening to MDR's Vanajasana, SSI's Vande vasudevam. The chittaswarams in Vanajasana are a treat to the ears.

I typically avoid thukkadas and prefer weighty ragas. The song must last at least 5 minutes, otherwise I usually don't add it to my playlist. The longer the better. Apart from that, on a given day, my mood swings take me to different ragas.

Meenakshi memudam - I heard TMK deliver a very moving rendition at MFAC 5 years back. I wish this song was sung a tad slower than usual to bring out the emotion in the krithi.

Oho kalame - I find this krithi very refreshing every time I listen to it. I absolutely love the lyrics.

Krithis I tend to avoid

* Kanta joodumi - I don't know why I avoid this but I cannot get myself to listen to it. The word joodumi screws up my brain. I haven't been able to explain it.

Uday - there's a RTP Hindolam by MDR that could probably change your mind. Let me know if you are interested.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Nov 2009, 17:51, edited 1 time in total.

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

Oh, shripathi!
You are my sole enemy =)! I am a lover of Kalyani. She is my most favouritest favouritest favouritest favourite[see how I go haywire? ;) ]

hating kanta jUdumi!! What a punishable act? :lol: "jUdumi" screws your mind. It brews rAga sudhA in my mind!!

Just joking!! Don't take it seriously!
Last edited by srinivasrgvn on 10 May 2009, 21:44, edited 1 time in total.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aF0eSl67jI - after listening to this you still dislike, let me know.

vasanthakokilam

I have to be away from kalyani to enjoy the raga. Extensive raga alapana is trickier further. I have to be in the right mood for that. Having said all that, Ananthalakshmi Sadagopan's nidhi chAla sukhamA works for me most of the time and so is MSS's Thalli Ninnu. ( given enough gap between listens )

>I cannot associate any emotion with the raga and also probably because, as a kid, I remember someone referring to Kalyani as Kazhudhai (Donkey) kalyani meaning that
>even a donkey's braying will sound like Kalyani.

It is totally uncalled for on the part of whoever made that up. Shripathi, you have to take yourself through some decontamination chamber to get rid of that and then figure it out for yourself ;)

There is probably a lot of such 'stuff' we all carry, mainly by people who grew up among highly opinionated CM rasikas. They feed us their strongly held opinions and we carry that with us and let it affect our own enjoyment. We need to be de-programmed to find our own true nature.

>I was singing Kamboji the other day and someone asked me if I was singing Kalyani.

You deserve that!! :D

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

Dear narayan,
You are currently persona most grata in my book for loving KoniYAdina.. And yes, R.Krishnan version is really good..
I am more than happy to give an ordinary translation.. There are better telugu-knowing, translation-talented members who may do justice to Kuppayar's lovely ode..

P: koniyADina nApai nI kOpamu sEyamEra

A: ninnu mincina daivamu lEdani nirantaramu nI kIrtinentO

C: bAluDau mArkaNDEyuni bhakti santasilli vE vEgamE
kAluninoka pAdamuna dunimi karuNinciti vadigAka
kAlakUTa bAdha sairimpaka kratu-bhujulella kUDi
cAla nItO moraliDi vEDu konaga lIlAgAnu garaLamunu mringina
nIlakaNTha shrI kALahastIsha nikhilalOka budhajana pAlana
gOpAladAsa duritavana kuTAra parAtparA dayAkarAyani ninu

P: koniyADina nApai nI kOpamu sEyamEra
Towards me, who praises you,Is it right for you to be angry..?

A: ninnu mincina daivamu lEdani nirantaramu nI kIrtinentO
That 'there is no deity greater than you' enru who praises you.. pallavi line

C: bAluDau mArkaNDEyuni bhakti santasilli vE vEgamE
pleased with the devotion of the Child markandEya, you hastened

kAluninoka pAdamuna dunimi karuNinciti vadigAka

and crushed Death with one foot..

kAlakUTa bAdha sairimpaka kratu-bhujulella kUDi

Unable to suffer the kalakUta/hAlAhala poison, when the devas aggregated,

[kratubhuja is a rare word for dEva meaning recipient of sacrifices, it is only seen used in Classical sanskrit v,and speaks for the erudition of Kuppayar]

cAla nItO moraliDi vEDu konaga lIlAgAnu garaLamunu mringina
and beseeched you; playfully, you drank the venom..

nIlakaNTha shrI kALahastIsha nikhilalOka budhajana pAlana

O blue-throated lord of kalahasti! saviour of the wise in all the worlds!
gOpAladAsa duritavana kuTAra parAtparA dayAkarAyani ninu

You are an axe to the forest of my(gopAladAsa's i e kupayyar's) sins! O transcendent, merciful one!

THe anupallavi and charana dovetail into the pallavi to mean, when I praise you thus,(referring to so and so exploits, is it right to be wroth at me)

Vinay

Post by Vinay »

Almost all kalyani!
Unless it's Balamurali singing it, but even then, it's not as good sometimes unless it's Ninnuvina or Gathi Neeve or Sangeethame or ahhhhhh Sogasu Nee Sommu (I don't think I can ever have enough of that one). And of course there's also the ashtapadi Sakhi He, tuned in Kalyani by Balamurali - that was the first time I heard how exceptionally good Kalyani could be. Ninnuvina is also excellent Kalyani, and in a different mood (more fast paced and energetic than lingering and romantic). Thyagaraja's Sundari Nee is somewhat similar to this, I think.

Oh and kambhoji. I disliked it the first time I heard it (Sri Raghuvara, Thyagaraja), and grew to like it a little after much repeated listening. But Evarimata (Thyagaraja) and Simharoopa (Purandaradasa, if I remember right) are a bit better. Still, somewhat boring. However, I have heard good movie songs in kambhoji - Premodaaranaay (Movie - Kamaladalam, singer - Yesudas, music director - Ravindran), and Samaja Sancharini (Movie - Parinayam, singer - Yesudas, music director - Ravi).

I'm not as sure but I think this goes for begada too. There's this movie song that I love, Innale Neeyoru (Movie - Sthree, singer - Yesudas, music director - Dakshinamoorthy). But I haven't liked any of the carnatic pieces I've heard in begada - not yet at least - but then I haven't listened to a lot.

Mohanam - Another overrated raga! I'm sick of hearing it everywhere. There are few really really good pieces in this raga, the rest are all the same old boring, sickeningly sweet drawl. It's hard to render this raga without making it boring. Less use of the panchama makes it a bit more attractive - this works in kalyani too, incidentally.

Hamsadhwani, sometimes. Although as in the case of mohanam, this is also the fault of those who use it uninnovatively. Sadashiva Brahmendra's Gayathi Vanamali is a notable exception (partly because of the madhyama shruti too - though it would be almost as good without it as well). All his compositions do present a different usage of ragas from their usual.

shripathi_g

Post by shripathi_g »

srinivasrgvn wrote:Oh, shripathi!
You are my sole enemy =)! I am a lover of Kalyani. She is my most favouritest favouritest favouritest favourite[see how I go haywire? ;) ]

hating kanta jUdumi!! What a punishable act? :lol: "jUdumi" screws your mind. It brews rAga sudhA in my mind!!

Just joking!! Don't take it seriously!
I'm not sure if I'm your sole enemy. I can introduce some of my friends to you so that you can have more enemies. :D. Yes, they are all Kalyani haters. Actually, I do listen to MMI's Kalyanis (his endless swaraprastharas are the only thing that can keep me interested in that raga), MDR's Kamalambhajare ( the krithi is really beautiful) and Himadrisute ( I started liking this after watching Hamsageethe which is my most favorite film ever). Talking about Kalyani, here's something funny. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzxVaAj7Y_Y )

To my brain, jUdumi seems a combination of 'choodu' in Telugu and kudumi, so it goes crazy.

shripathi_g

Post by shripathi_g »

Keerthi, is it possible to get a recording of Ramnad's Koniyadina?

rajumds

Post by rajumds »

also probably because, as a kid, I remember someone referring to Kalyani as Kazhudhai (Donkey) kalyani meaning that even a donkey's braying will sound like Kalyani.
You got the interpretation wrong. The raga by itself is so sweet, even a donkey (or any one with a bad voice) can sing it.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 24 Nov 2009, 09:47, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

>for begada too. There's this movie song that I love, Innale Neeyoru

Thanks for the reference to those movie songs. All are nice songs. The kambhoji ones are OK but raga content wise does not compare to any CM heavy weights. Also, may be the specific shaking of M, both songs started off sounding like kamAs before finding its way to kambhoji, but very listenable songs.

The Begada one is better mainly because I would least expect Begada in a film song. It has the usual filmy neither-here-nor-there type of generecity alright but then a flash of begada appears when you least expect it. And the beginning 'Inn' itself is so Begada done very well by Yesudas.

The two songs that are sort of in a similar aesthetic neighborhood ( it is a big stretch to even say that ) are 'Sankari Neve' and 'kaDaikkaN vaithennai'. I am sure you have listened to them. I have been looking for a rendition of sankari Neve by your hero BMK but have not found one yet. I am curious how a gamaka minimalist like BMK treats that song which thrives on gamakam.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 24 Nov 2009, 09:50, edited 1 time in total.

shripathi_g

Post by shripathi_g »

All this defense for Kalyani has done something to me I suppose. I was listening to Madurai GS Mani's lec-dem on Carnatic music in film songs and he spoke at length about Kalyani. I didn't find it unpleasant in the least bit and I thoroughly enjoyed the part where he demonstrated how GNB would sing nadaswaram passages. I'm beginning to think that there might actually be something in the raga. Need to listen to it more.

Coolji,

Thanks for the Koniyadina which was very good ( wonder if he sang swaras for it ) and the Vachaspathi (listening to it now). I've never heard Kanta joodumi actually. Will let you know how it goes.