Popular ragas/kritis you don't care much for...

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Nov 2009, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.

shripathi_g

Post by shripathi_g »

Fantastic Vachaspathi! Torrent of swaras from the doyen! Thanks a lot. :-). I still couldn't digest the pallavi but I'm glad that I patiently got through to the swara kalpana part. Topping it off with MDR's Pakkalanilabadi. :-)

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 24 Nov 2009, 09:50, edited 1 time in total.

shripathi_g

Post by shripathi_g »

:-) The Emani clip brought back memories of marathon-Emani sessions a few years back. Listening to an RTP in K'priya followed by .................................. an RTP in Kalyani.

Vinay

Post by Vinay »

vasanthakokilam wrote: The two songs that are sort of in a similar aesthetic neighborhood ( it is a big stretch to even say that ) are 'Sankari Neve' and 'kaDaikkaN vaithennai'. I am sure you have listened to them. I have been looking for a rendition of sankari Neve by your hero BMK but have not found one yet. I am curious how a gamaka minimalist like BMK treats that song which thrives on gamakam.
I hadn't. But I found and listened to Sankari Neeve by Sudha Raghunathan (There's a downloadable version in Cool Toad, and the very same one in readily listenable form in eSnips).
I can see that the "Sankari" corresponds exactly to the "Innale"!

Still looking for Kadaikkan Vaithennai. Oh and it would be great if you found renditions by "my hero" (lol)!
Last edited by Vinay on 11 May 2009, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.

narayan

Post by narayan »

keerthi wrote:Dear narayan,
You are currently persona most grata in my book for loving KoniYAdina.. And yes, R.Krishnan version is really good..
I am more than happy to give an ordinary translation.. There are better telugu-knowing, translation-talented members who may do justice to Kuppayar's lovely ode..
Thanks much for this free flowing translation. I think I would enjoy the song even with more mundane lyrics than these! I found "axe for the forest of sins" a picturesque usage. After some thought, I remembered where else it is there - in Tyagaraja's Amba ninnu in Arabhi. So it seems to be a standard image, but still nice!
Further Koniyadina discussions, if any, I suppose should move to a separate thread, now having established its small but vocal support base.

Rasika911

Post by Rasika911 »

I cant stand it when a kid is singing alone and they do the adi veechu adi veechu thing....i just cant!!!! Especially when the krithi to follow is something like marukelara :(

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

Agree that Koniyadina deserves a separate thread..
couldn't resist this quip..
the axe to forest is used rather frequently - see lobha-latA-lavitri in janani ninuvina, trhe rItigaula song..

If people are interested, we could start a thread about popular metaphors/ similes used in carnatic compositions..

smvj

Post by smvj »

Hi, Does anyone know the meaning of song, Gam Ganapathe' namo namo Shankari Thanaya, it's set to Roopaka Thalam and Hamsadvani ragam. Thanks - Sangeetha

arasi

Post by arasi »

smvj,
It is a good idea to post your request in the Sahitya Section.
Last edited by arasi on 14 May 2009, 01:13, edited 1 time in total.

mazhai

Post by mazhai »

Kurai ondrum illai - ida padalainu yaarukku kurai???? the old mamis seem to love this song more than their lives!! arrggh! especially cant stand it in a kutthu paatu fashion! I have sworn to myself that I will never EVER sing this song when i perform!!!

Alaipaayuthe- tsunami ye vandudum if i hear that song once more...!
om namo narayana- another so very common one!
nidhi chala sukhama- can we have something new in Kalyani pls??
RTP in Suddha Bangla- u wont believe this, but an artist ACTUALLY tried this out at Pune Sangeetha Sabha...excrutiatingly unpleasant!!
chinnanjiru kiliye- yawn!!!
Taaye yashoda- zzzzzz!!!!!!!!!
mangalam- only when people sing ALL the stanzas....its monotonous, boring and neverending!!!
Malayamarutham- JEEEEEZZZ!!!!!
Vachaspati- YYIIIKKKESSSS!!!!
Samajavaragamana- OMGSM!!!!! (Oh my god spare me!!!)
brochevarevarura- ZILCH!!!
actually the list is pretty long!

mazhai

Post by mazhai »

narayan wrote:
keerthi wrote:Dear narayan,
You are currently persona most grata in my book for loving KoniYAdina.. And yes, R.Krishnan version is really good..
I am more than happy to give an ordinary translation.. There are better telugu-knowing, translation-talented members who may do justice to Kuppayar's lovely ode..
Thanks much for this free flowing translation. I think I would enjoy the song even with more mundane lyrics than these! I found "axe for the forest of sins" a picturesque usage. After some thought, I remembered where else it is there - in Tyagaraja's Amba ninnu in Arabhi. So it seems to be a standard image, but still nice!
Further Koniyadina discussions, if any, I suppose should move to a separate thread, now having established its small but vocal support base.
happy to jopin u friends....love koniyaadina too!

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

mazhai wrote: nidhi chala sukhama- can we have something new in Kalyani pls??
Nowadays, the most frequent seems to be "Sandehamu" without any Sandehamu!
RTP in Suddha Bangla- u wont believe this, but an artist ACTUALLY tried this out at Pune Sangeetha Sabha...excrutiatingly unpleasant!!
Whoever it is, they must be very brave. Don't you think? =)
mangalam- only when people sing ALL the stanzas....its monotonous, boring and neverending!!!
That's why people dash out of the hall the moment they hear the word "Mangalam"
brochevarevarura- ZILCH!!!
Never!! One of the classics of CM! I can hear it 10000 times without 'salappu'[boredom]!!

vinsim

Post by vinsim »

I have heard people raving on and on about kambodhi, but I just don't get this raaga (limitation may be on my part:)). Barring some brief versions of Shri subramanya namaste by ARI/CVB (< 20 mins), I don't find any krithi in this raga appealing at all, let alone a RTP.

Interestingly, I see many Kalyani haters here and I absolutely LOVE kalyani. Listening to the kalyani swaras (MLV, TVS) is the best pick-me-up on a dull day. Check out MDR in this short video -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKCm8wBzTQg, where he sings a short yet magical "birana brova ide".

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

vinsim wrote:I have heard people raving on and on about kambodhi, but I just don't get this raaga (limitation may be on my part:)). Barring some brief versions of Shri subramanya namaste by ARI/CVB (< 20 mins), I don't find any krithi in this raga appealing at all, let alone a RTP.
Absolutely!
Kambhoji fails to fascinate me! The funniest thing is that I like Harikambhoji so much!

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Ban the kAmbOji haters!

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

I second bilahari! :)

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

Well bilahari, I never knew that you were a kAmbhOji lover too!! =)

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Nov 2009, 20:41, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

A profound philosophical statement, Cool!

bilahari loves bilahari
and kAmbhOji too
that doesen't rule out
harikAmbhOji,
But harimauji?

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

arasi,
:lol:

vallaki

Post by vallaki »

srinivasrgvn wrote:This is going to be very funny but:
Almost all of the above mentioned ragas(not all the songs but the ragas from page 1) are my favorites(except Simhendramadhyamam).
Simhendramadyamam seems to be such a bore!!
I hate it because it is such a Shanmukhapriya impersonator!! And Shanmukhapriya is so SUPERB!!!
See how a Nishadam makes such a difference(to me)! Many of us dont like Simhendramadhyamam I think!
And another thing I don't like is singing Neraval in telugu kritis!! I mean a neraval line should be very special i.e. the line should convey very good meaning or the line must be somewhat special! But certain telugu lines are so non-understandable(is my grammar right?)!! Once I went to a BJ concert and she sang neraval in a sunadhavinodhini kriti of tyagaraja(I think). In the charanam, some line that began with "Paluku Paluku" or something like that was elaborated! Oh my god, it was so boring!!!
Are there any other telugu-neraval haters??
Oh yes! Bhairavi is in my hit-list along with Kamavardhini(how boring!) and Krishna Nee Begane seems to be such a bad Yamuna Kalyani!!

I beg to differ..Even with my limited exposure, I would like to quote that , depending on the artist, simhendramadhyamam could sound really superb. I remember E.Gayathri's rendition in the 'Kutcheri ' Series , in the RTP, Also, there is a superb thanam piece on youtube by Jayashri-Jayaraj, And also the brilliant ninne nammithi -in the 'DOUBLE TAKE' Album by Dr.Bhavani Prakash Rao , in which she does a grahabedam . Surely, it sounds distinctly different from Shanmukhapriya, which is also one of my very favorite ragas.

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

Thanks vallaki. I will hear all the pieces you mentioned above. Thank you for your interest. =)

arasi

Post by arasi »

All this brings to mind two (different ) things.
1: In a P.G. Woodhouse story, I think it is Bingo Little pushing the pram of his newborn when he encounters a friend perambulating his offspring. The scene ends in each one betting that his own child is uglier than the other! Hope I got the story right. Anyway, those who do not like certain songs want to make sure that they say it emphatically enough to prove the point that they do not like it at all!

2: Now, a competition scene where every parent thinks his child is the best--it is the same when it comes to asserting 'my favorite is the best ragam or kruti'.
The fun starts when you have to narrow down your favorite to one. You will see this happening in the other thread where rAgams starting with the letter a, A, ai (arun :)) and B are discussed. I want to wait until they get to Z (Z?) and then make my pick out of those, and who knows, I may also find one which they have overlooked!
Last edited by arasi on 03 Jul 2009, 09:02, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Nov 2009, 06:53, edited 1 time in total.

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

Okay. To make me like Simhendramadhyamam, can any of you provide a mind-blowing track (upload or redirect) that you listened to? It must be very grand, as you will be convincing me to like that raga! =)
I will really like it if it was sung by any of these artistes:

SSI, MLV, DKP, DKJ, MSS,or any of the present popular artistes.

=)

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Nov 2009, 06:51, edited 1 time in total.

prashant

Post by prashant »

May I request Voleti and Nedunuri? :-)

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

Kiravani has a well-defined identity...Simhendramadhyamam doesn't...
And I am unanimous in that!
(after Mrs Slocombe, who passed away recently - RIP)

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Nov 2009, 06:51, edited 1 time in total.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

KVN also used to sing niNe naMithinaYa of MV in Simhendramadhyamam.

I'm sure Collji /some other rasika can provide link to KVN's mind blowing S madhyamam.

Nereval @ nIraja nEthra...............

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

Almost all of the above mentioned ragas(not all the songs but the ragas from page 1) are my favorites(except Simhendramadhyamam).
I hate it because it is such a Shanmukhapriya impersonator!! And Shanmukhapriya is so SUPERB!!!
See how a Nishadam makes such a difference(to me)! Many of us dont like Simhendramadhyamam I think!

I take back the above statement! Simhendramadhyamam is the most wonderful raga in the world! =)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Come, come, if it gets to be the most wonderful rAgam, how would poor
shaNmukhapriyaA feel? Shunned?? :)

vallaki

Post by vallaki »

srinivasrgvn wrote:
vinsim wrote:I have heard people raving on and on about kambodhi, but I just don't get this raaga (limitation may be on my part:)). Barring some brief versions of Shri subramanya namaste by ARI/CVB (< 20 mins), I don't find any krithi in this raga appealing at all, let alone a RTP.
Absolutely!
Kambhoji fails to fascinate me! The funniest thing is that I like Harikambhoji so much!
Now Srinivas Garu,
We have to make you like the majestic, beautiful, powerful Kambhoji... The P D S Charanam of the Navaraga maalika varnam was itself enough for me to love that raga, and then How can you not like O Ranga Sayi??

Also, Kamboji Raga is supposed to be the Great Lord Shiva's Favorite.

Now You Like 'Hari Kambhoji, but not Shiva's Kambhoji?? That is not fair Srinivasa !!!

I am not sure if you like Aruna Sairam, But if you do, her rendition of tiruvaDi caraNam, Adi (gOpAlak.rSNa bharati) , to my ears , is brilliant.

If Aruna's is not to your taste, Hopefully, our friends here will provide you with a Brilliant recording, that you will make sHRIYA sING IT IN THE NEXT EPISODE !!!
Last edited by vallaki on 07 Jul 2009, 23:14, edited 1 time in total.

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

Oh thanks vallaki!
In fact, Aruna Sairam is one of my favorite singers! I love her music and I possess a large collection of her renderings. But, I have not heard 'tiruvadi charanam'! If you could tell me where it is available, I can hear it. In which of her albums is it there? Please tell me.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 23 Nov 2009, 20:44, edited 1 time in total.

mazhai

Post by mazhai »

Whoever it is, they must be very brave. Don't you think? =)

thats right...but u noe what? theres a slight change...that ragam wasnt suddha bangala...i made a small mistake...it was suddha sarang (!!!???!!!)....what do have to say now? that the artist was the bravest person or that the whole duration of the RTP was used up by the audience in trying to guess that ragam.....so the artist cud have made all the mistakes on the earth n no one would have known...!!! LOL!!!! :D :P

mazhai

Post by mazhai »

Hark! O All Kamboji haters!
U r missing out on big things in life by disliking this SUPERCALIFLAGYLISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS ragam!!!!!!!!!
:)

mazhai

Post by mazhai »

vallaki wrote:
And another thing I don't like is singing Neraval in telugu kritis!! I mean a neraval line should be very special i.e. the line should convey very good meaning or the line must be somewhat special! But certain telugu lines are so non-understandable(is my grammar right?)!! Once I went to a BJ concert and she sang neraval in a sunadhavinodhini kriti of tyagaraja(I think). In the charanam, some line that began with "Paluku Paluku" or something like that was elaborated! Oh my god, it was so boring!!!
Are there any other telugu-neraval haters??
Oh yes! Bhairavi is in my hit-list along with Kamavardhini(how boring!) and Krishna Nee Begane seems to be such a bad Yamuna Kalyani!!

I agree whole heartedly with you about simhendramadhyamam and bhairavi....people think I'm a weirdo coz i dont like these two ragams...now i can say that I'm not the only weirdo!!!! ;)

vallaki

Post by vallaki »

srinivasrgvn wrote:Oh thanks vallaki!
In fact, Aruna Sairam is one of my favorite singers! I love her music and I possess a large collection of her renderings. But, I have not heard 'tiruvadi charanam'! If you could tell me where it is available, I can hear it. In which of her albums is it there? Please tell me.
It is in her album - "Hariyum Haranum "
It is also in another cd I have, unfortunately I lost the cover, hence do not know the album name,

But the song list on that cd starts of with 'Nannu Videchi' in Reethi gowla, followed by Thiruvadi charanam, followed by a purandara dasa kriti, and Kanthamamam(Sindhu bairavi), and ending with her famous rendition of Theertha Vittala. If i am able to find the cover, I will mail the album name. Otherwise, some one else reading this mail may hopefully be able to help.

In addition, There is a MMI Recording on below website-
http://shripathi.com/2007/01/14/carnati ... /kambhoji/

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 23 Nov 2009, 20:41, edited 1 time in total.

Sathej

Post by Sathej »

mazhai wrote:Hark! O All Kamboji haters!
U r missing out on big things in life by disliking this SUPERCALIFLAGYLISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS ragam!!!!!!!!!
:)
Thats supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, I suppose :)

Sathej

Nia Rmohan

Post by Nia Rmohan »

every ragam has its own personality.

To me Kalyani is a rich old hag sitting on a chair. Who looks at you disdainfully and orders you about without any compassion or kindness or consideration....

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Nia, that is quite an imagery ;) I think the disdain does not come from lack of compassion but rather a 'what took you so long, you have been spending much more time at my sister's, 36 houses down the road'

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

kalyANi lacking in compassion, kindness, and consideration?! I beg to differ.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Bilahari, You know I like you, and also your namesake, but kalyAni is in a class of her own. She has majesty and feeling.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

I agree, Arasi--that's why I was objecting to Nia's cruel characterisation of the grand dame!

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

I also do not agree at all with Nia's characterization of kalyani but I liked her comparing ragas to personality of people. The elusive rasa or bhava of ragam can be partially captured that way. Now I know a couple of people ( in real life and some great movie characters ) who fit Nia's profile but they of course have nothing at all with the emotions kalyANi evokes.

That led me to think about which actress Kalyani rasa closely resembles. This is all still subjective of course, but the one came to mind right away is: bAnumathi . Great poise and dignity with out any flashy demeanor to attract attention.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

bilahari wrote:kalyANi lacking in compassion, kindness, and consideration?! I beg to differ.
MMI's- Kamalambam bhajare
GNB's- Nidhi chala Sukhama/ Shiva KAmeshwarim
MLV's- Nija Dasa Varada
VanajAkshi both Adi & Atta Tala varnams ,

Kalyani haters must think once more ?

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Manjunath, agreed! I'd like to add KVN's nidhi chAla sukhamA and MSG's RTP in yaman/kalyANi. MMI/GNB's vAsudEvayani as well. SSI's pankajalOchana. MDR's kamalAmbam bhajarE. The gItam along with both varNams. So many vidwans have excelled with this raga. I agree with VK--kalyANi is filled with poise and dignity. I think the prati ma lends a lot of warmth to the raga as well, which it doesn't always do (for me). I generally tend to think of shuddha ma ragas as more pleasing and "warm". The prati ma gives a sort of dusky/dark feel in ragas like shaNmugapriya, simmhEndramadhyamam, ranjani, pantuvarALi, shubhapantuvarALi, varALi. I wouldn't particularly associate any of these ragas with warmth, though I love most of them (except pantuvarALi).