Potential Sangita Kalanidhis in the next 25 years !

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
vijay

Post by vijay »

Knowing Bharath, we can safely bet on at least 90% of the names in the list above! TVR looks pretty sure for this year. After that I would put my money on GD and VVS on account of their age/seniority. So I think we pretty much know what's coming for the next 3 years.

After that (2012 - vocalist) the field looks quite open. Bombay Sisters are my best bet. Suguna mami has been given the composer award - not sure if that is some sort of a disqualification (I believe the Acharya award is). Anyway, the last time the Academy honoured a non-jingli-box vocalist was Vedavalli mami in 1999(??) and TKG sometime before that. By 2012, Aruna Sairam, for example, would be pushing 60 and, therefore, may be a potential candidate.

I myself would be thrilled to see Rama Ravi/Suguna Purushottaman//Varadachari get the award but I have to say I would be (very pleasantly) surprised if they do.

rajaglan

Post by rajaglan »

srikant1987 wrote:Well, Lalgudi was offered the Kalanidhi and did not accept it. Is that also the story with MDR?

Why is Vijay Siva not as sure as Sanjay and TMK?!

Dorai mama should be given the next time percussion is awarded! Among the sure ones, I think A Kanyakumari is also in line.

It will be really nice if they gave it to a Suguna mami, Trivandrum Venkataraman, Parasalla Ponnammal, and other such people.

I also felt the same. Why Vijay Siva not in the Sure list...
What is the doubt...

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

How come TRS doesn't figure in anyone's list??

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

r-t, rajaglan, you are one among the equals here, put your entries in with confidence ;)

mridangamkid

Post by mridangamkid »

Would Arun Prakash sir be possible at all?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

25 years is a long time!
For some it is do or die;
and some will die before they do it :)

sankirnam

Post by sankirnam »

before Arun prakash other mrudangists would have to get it such as Tiruvarur Bhaktavatsalam, Raja Rao mama, Easwaran mama, and Neyveli Narayanan sir...

kartik

Post by kartik »

E.Gayathri?
Last edited by kartik on 24 Feb 2009, 06:13, edited 1 time in total.

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

Yes, Bharath's list looks plausible. But where he leaves "choices", I'd like GD and VVS. Though I haven't heard Trichy Sankaran in person.

This Kala Acharya thing is very shady. They should consider how celebrated one's disciples are when considering them for the Kala Acharya.

Did they give LGJ the Acharya at last?

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

After that I would put my money on GD and VVS on account of their age/seniority.

They've got a lot apart from their age and seniority imho. :) (unless you're comparing with the other candidates)

But still ... Isn't VVS a shade younger than Nagai? I don't know Trichy Sankaran, but I guess he's older than GD too.

mohan

Post by mohan »

srikant1987 wrote:Did they give LGJ the Acharya at last?
No he received a special lifetime achievement award. I guess this is a one off special award.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

rbharath wrote: any chances of danseuses being awarded? like in 1974? Or now that MA has a separate Dance conference, will they constitute a Natya Kalanidhi? Kumari Kamala is still around.
The only dancers who have received the SK were both equally adept at music - Sri Ponnayya Pillai and Smt. Balalsarasvati - so, it is hard to figure out why they were awarded the SK - for their music or their dance...

vijay

Post by vijay »

Not suggesting that they do not have any merit other than age - only that age is usually a factor when artistes of comparable merit are considered (although not always)...I did think GD and VVS are respectively older than Trichy and Nagai. Am not 100% sure though

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

I guess TRS will be the oldest now..

vijay

Post by vijay »

TRS too has got the Kala Acharya or something so sadly he may be out of the reckoning...

gayakasri

Post by gayakasri »

Only the trinity are eternal Sangeetha kalanidhis

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

vijay, 1999 was TK Govinda Rao and 2000 was R Vedavalli.

srikant, i think VVS is defly older than Nagai.

another glaring omission in all our Discussions is OS Thyagarajan. I m sure he is gonna get it sometime...

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

actually speaking, MA has not featured Manakkal in a while and has neither given him any award. will it be too late to give him an Acharya atleast. Kalanidhi well, he deserves one, but i m not sure if they would consider him.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

and another impossible long shot hope and prayer is KS Gopalakrishnan...

if only, somebody convinces him and makes him come to madras to perform, in the first place...

appu

Post by appu »

KSG, currently resides in Madras. He on his own free will has chosen not to perform here.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

appu wrote:KSG, currently resides in Madras. He on his own free will has chosen not to perform here.
i did hear sometime ago that he frequently visits madras and stays here for long bouts of time. however, it is news that he has totally shifted here.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Kalpakam Svamiinathan is still available. It is time to recognize a classicist and a superb Vainika before it is too late!

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

If he has totally shifted here, well, that brings some ideas :)

@cmlover

Of course she's still available, except that she's already been given the Acharya. I doubt that anyone has been given the Acharya and the Kalanidhi, though if she gets it, Kalpakam mami will be a most deserving first. :)
Last edited by srikant1987 on 24 Feb 2009, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

VK,
good idea.

Bharath,
Yes, 'caccitam' (to the point) is you!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

pApanAsam sivan got it at 81 years, would be nice if manakkAl gets it at his 85+ years which he is right now. Somehow feel if musicians unite and all can just speak manakkAl can make it(all musicians talk high of his music, some musicians say no one can sing that high speed brighas like him ever again).

How about TV gopAlakrishnan, he knows to play close to 15 instruments, given both cm and hm concerts , kind of jack of all master of many personality.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Let us also not forget Prof SRJ the finest Musicologist after Prof Sambamoorthy. It is time we honoured yet again a CM Musicologist who has Academically contributed to both Practice as well as Theory!

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

srikant,
Acharya is a way of closing doors for Kalanidhi. they have not given Kalanidhi to past Acharyas.

cml,
SRJ is an Acharya too. and if former Acharyas are considered for Kalanidhi, one of SRJ's gurus Kalpakam Swaminathan is still waiting in the list...

rajesh,
musicians coming together and talking united??? i hope u know what u r talking about?

and i do think that the MA does give awards to mostly people who are/have been/had been performing regularly at MA and consistently singing well and drawing crowds to decent levels.

Even Sembanarkoil SRD Vaidhyanathan is a possibility. a nagasvaram artist of great calibre and in his 80s and well respected tooo.

advaitam

Post by advaitam »

Prof SRJ and Kalpagam Mami have both got the Kala Acharya awards, thus exempting them from the Kalanidhi. I am surprised why everyone has blithely ignored gayakasri's comment. Its quite true. It makes all this discussion quite redundant, yet the discussion continues.......

devi

Post by devi »

Wish KSG performs in Bangalore!

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

How about Smt Radha and Jayalakshmi ?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Could somebody post a link to the list of past 'Acharya ' awardees?

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

what is the possibility of a Harikatha Kalanidhi?
Thanjavur Kamala Murthy...

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks bharath

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

rbharath wrote:what is the possibility of a Harikatha Kalanidhi?
Thanjavur Kamala Murthy...
It may actually make sense to create something like a Harikatha Academy. I hear that the audiences for such allied
'applied music' disciplines ( harikatha, bhajan, namasankeertan etc. ) are higher than pure CM concerts. So there will be enough audience support
base for such an institution ( may be one already exists ).

vanamali

Post by vanamali »

A duo missed in this post - Rudrapatnam Brothers. Quite senior, scholarly, not-so-famous. I am sure some people here would agree...

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

vanamali wrote:A duo missed in this post - Rudrapatnam Brothers. Quite senior, scholarly, not-so-famous. I am sure some people here would agree...
indeed. defly a great pair.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Of course!

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

Rudrapatnam brothers are a classic example of vidwans who despite their immense vidwat may never get awards such as the SK.
On the other end of the spectrum, we have artistes such as ----* who despite their lack of vidwat will surely get the SK.
This is the sad state of affairs today.

* - I won't mention the artistes' names in the interests of peace and tranquillity here!

Svaapana

Post by Svaapana »

I have not gone through the entire thread, but I hope the names of the violin maestros L Subramaniam and L Shankar would have come.

appam

Post by appam »

just like the duo Sikkil sisters for flute,why not the mellifluous Ranjini and Gayathri in the potentials???????

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

Oh yes, that will be just like the Sikkil Sisters. :)

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

On the other end of the spectrum, we have artistes such as ----* who despite their lack of vidwat will surely get the SK.
I feel that even though some very good vidwans and vidushis get missed out, people who do get the award are performers of high standards, though there may be one or two exceptions. But some people make scary predictions for the future! Especially 20-25 years from now...

saramati

Post by saramati »

I think Bombay sisters are the among the senior artistes, who are potential vidushis for the great sangeetha kalanidhi award

vanamali

Post by vanamali »

Another duo that i thought i missed seeing here.. my favourite violinists of today - maestros Mysore Nagaraj and Dr Mysore Manjunath. Compared to some other musicians today, i think they are somewhat out of the limelight most of the times, and not as 'popular' as some others. Some may not agree to my statement on the popularity, but i feel they have not got the recognition in Chennai that they should be getting. They hardly perform 3-4 duet concerts there during the season, not got awards from different sabhas that many others who are at the same seniority have got, their concerts are hardly talked about (i hardly see reviews of their concerts here, though it might also be a vocal v/s instrumental thing)... comments welcome. :)

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

vanamali, i thought they do regularly accompany concerts at the city sabhas including MA, esp during season.

vanamali

Post by vanamali »

rbharath wrote:vanamali, i thought they do regularly accompany concerts at the city sabhas including MA, esp during season.
yeah bharath,, they of course do, but somehow i feel they are not that well known in chennai compared to others living there. Maybe i am wrong (i would be happy if i am wrong), but thats the feeling that i get.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

From this thread it is quite apparent to me that the SK award carries no significance at all. We already know who the deserving candidates are - and most times the academy agrees and some times they put their entire foot in it.

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

suresh - yes, it's just time pass stuff here!

viswam

Post by viswam »

Wow! this is amazing.
Well here is my list for Instrumentalists:
Percussion:Karaikudi Mani,T.H.Vinayakram,Kamalakar Rao,T.V.Gopalakrishnan[seniors]
Flute:Shashank ,Sruthisagar
Mandolin:U.Srinivas,Mandolin Sisters
Violin: Embar.Kannan, Athira krishna , M.Narmada.