Potential Sangita Kalanidhis in the next 25 years !

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Let us also not forget Prof SRJ the finest Musicologist after Prof Sambamoorthy. It is time we honoured yet again a CM Musicologist who has Academically contributed to both Practice as well as Theory!

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

srikant,
Acharya is a way of closing doors for Kalanidhi. they have not given Kalanidhi to past Acharyas.

cml,
SRJ is an Acharya too. and if former Acharyas are considered for Kalanidhi, one of SRJ's gurus Kalpakam Swaminathan is still waiting in the list...

rajesh,
musicians coming together and talking united??? i hope u know what u r talking about?

and i do think that the MA does give awards to mostly people who are/have been/had been performing regularly at MA and consistently singing well and drawing crowds to decent levels.

Even Sembanarkoil SRD Vaidhyanathan is a possibility. a nagasvaram artist of great calibre and in his 80s and well respected tooo.

advaitam

Post by advaitam »

Prof SRJ and Kalpagam Mami have both got the Kala Acharya awards, thus exempting them from the Kalanidhi. I am surprised why everyone has blithely ignored gayakasri's comment. Its quite true. It makes all this discussion quite redundant, yet the discussion continues.......

devi

Post by devi »

Wish KSG performs in Bangalore!

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

How about Smt Radha and Jayalakshmi ?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Could somebody post a link to the list of past 'Acharya ' awardees?

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

what is the possibility of a Harikatha Kalanidhi?
Thanjavur Kamala Murthy...

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks bharath

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

rbharath wrote:what is the possibility of a Harikatha Kalanidhi?
Thanjavur Kamala Murthy...
It may actually make sense to create something like a Harikatha Academy. I hear that the audiences for such allied
'applied music' disciplines ( harikatha, bhajan, namasankeertan etc. ) are higher than pure CM concerts. So there will be enough audience support
base for such an institution ( may be one already exists ).

vanamali

Post by vanamali »

A duo missed in this post - Rudrapatnam Brothers. Quite senior, scholarly, not-so-famous. I am sure some people here would agree...

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

vanamali wrote:A duo missed in this post - Rudrapatnam Brothers. Quite senior, scholarly, not-so-famous. I am sure some people here would agree...
indeed. defly a great pair.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Of course!

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

Rudrapatnam brothers are a classic example of vidwans who despite their immense vidwat may never get awards such as the SK.
On the other end of the spectrum, we have artistes such as ----* who despite their lack of vidwat will surely get the SK.
This is the sad state of affairs today.

* - I won't mention the artistes' names in the interests of peace and tranquillity here!

Svaapana

Post by Svaapana »

I have not gone through the entire thread, but I hope the names of the violin maestros L Subramaniam and L Shankar would have come.

appam

Post by appam »

just like the duo Sikkil sisters for flute,why not the mellifluous Ranjini and Gayathri in the potentials???????

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

Oh yes, that will be just like the Sikkil Sisters. :)

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

On the other end of the spectrum, we have artistes such as ----* who despite their lack of vidwat will surely get the SK.
I feel that even though some very good vidwans and vidushis get missed out, people who do get the award are performers of high standards, though there may be one or two exceptions. But some people make scary predictions for the future! Especially 20-25 years from now...

saramati

Post by saramati »

I think Bombay sisters are the among the senior artistes, who are potential vidushis for the great sangeetha kalanidhi award

vanamali

Post by vanamali »

Another duo that i thought i missed seeing here.. my favourite violinists of today - maestros Mysore Nagaraj and Dr Mysore Manjunath. Compared to some other musicians today, i think they are somewhat out of the limelight most of the times, and not as 'popular' as some others. Some may not agree to my statement on the popularity, but i feel they have not got the recognition in Chennai that they should be getting. They hardly perform 3-4 duet concerts there during the season, not got awards from different sabhas that many others who are at the same seniority have got, their concerts are hardly talked about (i hardly see reviews of their concerts here, though it might also be a vocal v/s instrumental thing)... comments welcome. :)

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

vanamali, i thought they do regularly accompany concerts at the city sabhas including MA, esp during season.

vanamali

Post by vanamali »

rbharath wrote:vanamali, i thought they do regularly accompany concerts at the city sabhas including MA, esp during season.
yeah bharath,, they of course do, but somehow i feel they are not that well known in chennai compared to others living there. Maybe i am wrong (i would be happy if i am wrong), but thats the feeling that i get.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

From this thread it is quite apparent to me that the SK award carries no significance at all. We already know who the deserving candidates are - and most times the academy agrees and some times they put their entire foot in it.

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

suresh - yes, it's just time pass stuff here!

viswam

Post by viswam »

Wow! this is amazing.
Well here is my list for Instrumentalists:
Percussion:Karaikudi Mani,T.H.Vinayakram,Kamalakar Rao,T.V.Gopalakrishnan[seniors]
Flute:Shashank ,Sruthisagar
Mandolin:U.Srinivas,Mandolin Sisters
Violin: Embar.Kannan, Athira krishna , M.Narmada.

viswam

Post by viswam »

its news for me that Kalpagam Swaminathan is yet to be honoured!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She is an honour to the Sangitha Kalanidhi,I believe and not viceversa.

narayanaya

Post by narayanaya »

gayakasri wrote:Only the trinity are eternal Sangeetha kalanidhis
i also accept to your statement gaykasri.single sentence conveying a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

lakshmanan

Post by lakshmanan »

It is curious that the initator of this thread mentions Rohan Krishnamurthy in his list. I have heard him play few times but I have heard a lot about him through senior musicians like Prof T.N.Krishnan. I was casually at Hamsadwani when Krishnamurthy first appeared there 10 years ago and Mr Ramachandran in fact opinioned that "this kid will one day get SK if he pursues mridangam. He has the touch of Mani Iyer minus the experience"

bala747

Post by bala747 »

gayakasri wrote:Only the trinity are eternal Sangeetha kalanidhis
That is being grossly unfair to Purandaradasar, Gopalakrishna Bharati and of course Maharaja Swati Tirunal; especially the latter who was arguably as prolific a composer as the trinity were, and within 33 short years produced a grand volume of work.

vganesh

Post by vganesh »

Well said Bala747. As history says, Purandarasdasa has revived CM. His "Dasara Padhagalu" are too good to ignore. Ofcourse they are all beyond SK, Padmashree.... So no complaints :)

bala747

Post by bala747 »

I was never a fan of that award, because it is a measure of nothing. Who is to say that TNK or MSG are better vidwans than LGJ because he never accepted the award? Can anyone claim that MDR was a lesser artiste than KVN because one got the award and the other didn't? Or that Pazhani Subramania Pillai was not as great as PMI? Or that MM Dandapani Desikar, Madurai Somu were not as accomplished as TNS or TVS? Can anyone claim that NC Vasanthakokilam was in anyway inferior to MS Subbulakshmi in skill based on the SK? The award itself measures nothing and should just be seen as another sabha title that just fosters petty jealousies because of its history. It's not a national award, it's not a state award, hell it's not even a street neighbourhood award. It's a glorified sabha title.

I see posts saying "I can't believe ABC did not get the award! how could this happen?!" Well does it really matter if he/she gets the SK or not? Are people going to stop listening to the artiste unless they get the award, or are they going to suddenly start flocking to their concert in droves upon receipt of that award? Or is the person a greater or lesser vidwan if he/she does or does not get the Sangitha Kalanidhi?
Last edited by bala747 on 27 Mar 2009, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.

bala747

Post by bala747 »

vanamali wrote:Another duo that i thought i missed seeing here.. my favourite violinists of today - maestros Mysore Nagaraj and Dr Mysore Manjunath. Compared to some other musicians today, i think they are somewhat out of the limelight most of the times, and not as 'popular' as some others. Some may not agree to my statement on the popularity, but i feel they have not got the recognition in Chennai that they should be getting. They hardly perform 3-4 duet concerts there during the season, not got awards from different sabhas that many others who are at the same seniority have got, their concerts are hardly talked about (i hardly see reviews of their concerts here, though it might also be a vocal v/s instrumental thing)... comments welcome. :)
Yes I agree, they wre in Singapore once and played a spellbinding Sankarabharanam. It even impressed my mother, who was a harsher critic than I am (hard to believe but true). They are surprisingly underrated, and are amongst the violinists since the violin trinity of LGJ/MSG/TNK who are both accomplished soloists and accompanists.

But the violin has always been the cinderella of carnatic music, having to accompany and literally play "second fiddle" to inferior instruments like keyboards, mandolins, saxophones, guitars and even WHISTLE.. So many great accompanists never got the recognition they deserved like Dwaram Mangathayaru (who made even the worst Mali concerts tolerable, a feat not even possible by LGJ IMO), Chalakudi Narayanaswamy, Govindaswamy Naicker, and even M Chandrasekharan till the late 90s, while we were singing the praises of the next flash-in-the-pan musical instrument in the carnatic music scene. As I said before, the day a violin accompanies a kazoo is the day I stop listening to carnatic music. There are only so many "insults" that venerable instrument can bear in my eyes.
Last edited by bala747 on 27 Mar 2009, 16:49, edited 1 time in total.

sarang

Post by sarang »

I think Bombay sisters too would be possible candidates for the Sangeetha Kalanidhi. any thoughts???

They have made significant contributions to the CM worls!

advaitam

Re:

Post by advaitam »

bala747 wrote:
That is being grossly unfair to Purandaradasar, Gopalakrishna Bharati and of course Maharaja Swati Tirunal; especially the latter who was arguably as prolific a composer as the trinity were, and within 33 short years produced a grand volume of work.
Gopalakrishna Bharati, yes maybe, but most of the compositions of both Purandaradasa and Swathi Thirunal have not come down to us in their original tunes. Purandaradasa's compositions range in tunes from the purely classical to the purely comical, depending on the calibre of the tune-smiths. So many of Swathi Thirunal's compositions were tuned (some even retuned) by Mutthiah Bhagavathar and Semmangudi. The Trinity's compositions created such a great revolution in our music that even today they are the mainstay of our musical repertoire. Just stating what I have observed, I mean no disrespect to any of the great composers.

kssr

Re: Potential Sangita Kalanidhis in the next 25 years !

Post by kssr »

Why there is no mention of Bombay Jayashree or Nityashree? Due to their pravesam to cinema/light music? Also they along with Aruna Sairam accept only very few "high valued concerts" ,preferably abroad in a year. Making themselves scarce is a technique to keep themselves in the most desired artist list. These may impress the gullible rasikas, but probably not MA.

Jesudass is a strict no-no as his primary area is cinema music. Probably that is why Kunnakkudi also was not considered, although being the music director (!!) during Thyagaraja aaraadhanai in Thiruvaiyaru.

fduddy

Re:

Post by fduddy »

cmlover wrote:Though I may not live to see it; it is nice to speculate. Before the 1950's we used to speculate who will be elected by the Academy (but never gambled :) !

The way / state in which the world is today is due to speculation. So lets not speculate and waste time :!:

kadambam

Post by kadambam »

What a useless topic!!!!

Sangita Kalanidhi title is an excellent topic for 'vambu' discussion and adding those credintials is not going to influence a musician's marketability in the future. All these years it was such a hot topic, becuase of the Mylapore Mafia headed by SSI and it mattered because MA was considered one of the prime locations for a performing artist. Now, times have changed, there are musicians who don't even perform in the evening slot but make world-wide tours, cut CD's and are more marketable than a 60+ year old thatha/paati who gets an award and keeps it in the showcase.

Ragjay

Post by Ragjay »

I am surprised that no one talks of Smt T.Rukmani,A.Kanyakumari,Kadri Gopalnath Kalyanapuram Aravamudhan and a host of others who are senior to juniors who are listed. Frankly the SK award has lost its sheen and the aura associated with it is missing. It is immaterial who is awarded the same as there appears to be no criteria for nomination personalities. Vital few have missed the award and a list of trivial many is being listed as possible contenders for the next 25 years. Ragjay

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

This discussion itself adds to the glorification/triviality/condemnation that is associated with the award. I am not saying those who get the award are without merit. Whoever gets it deserves it, but whoever misses it is not without merit in other ways.
Last edited by mahakavi on 30 Aug 2010, 21:16, edited 1 time in total.

kssr

Post by kssr »

Ragjay wrote:I am surprised that no one talks of Smt T.Rukmani,A.Kanyakumari,Kadri Gopalnath Kalyanapuram Aravamudhan
For harikatha Visakha Hari, for all you know may get it next year. I am amazed at the way she has broken into the prime music slot during the season at MA. It is a joke. Obvious single point consideration is the gate collection. Sad situation.

mankuthimma

Post by mankuthimma »

Discussing the fate of civilisation is a bit like needlework. You can make use of it to keep you busy When needed
Discussing SK Choices is also a close second. At least the other titles carry some purse..

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

kssr wrote: For harikatha Visakha Hari, for all you know may get it next year. I am amazed at the way she has broken into the prime music slot during the season at MA. It is a joke. Obvious single point consideration is the gate collection. Sad situation.
What is the reason for the gate collection?

kssr

Post by kssr »

VK RAMAN wrote:
What is the reason for the gate collection?
May be, people love to listen to moral stories from Madisaar Maamis :)

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

Popularity!
Several years ago, when Nityasri was still a budding artiste, a friend and I went to the MA at the last minute for a ticket. No luck! TT Vasu was running around and I was showing several 100 Rs bills to him to get a seat. He asked me to wait (of course, sincerely with the intention of finding a vacant seat) but came back to say "sorry". Why the milling crowd at that time? She was a scion of an institution! Of course, I stayed around outside (in the MA premises) where you could hear the music. Nothing to write home about! The canteen (arusuvai as well as aRusuvai naTarAjan was running it at that time) was inviting and the palate had a good feast at least--- wheat alvA, and crisp dosai with chutneys and sAmbhAr! Delectable indeed! (sevikku uNavu irundum, vayiRRuNavu unnadamAy irundadu
The food for the ear was there but the food that touched the palate was better. :grin:

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

kssr wrote:
May be, people love to listen to moral stories from Madisaar Maamis :)
Do we still have maDisAr mAmis in mayilAppUr?

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

A few.

But it won't be long before vestis are only worn by foreigners!

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

NickH:
I will try to get you a chance in MA if you wear paTTu vEshTi and silk jibba, and jarigai angavastram. I will present you as "nikhila lOka BhAgavatar"

kssr

Post by kssr »

mahakavi wrote:

Do we still have maDisAr mAmis in mayilAppUr?
I would think so. Unless Vishaka is not from Mylapore :)

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Mahakavi, I am not the only one. As the local inclination for trousers increases, there seem to be more foreign visitors finding this traditional dress both practical and comfortable.

kssr

Post by kssr »

I have been wearing (wrapping) the veshti from time immemorial. I am yet to fathom as to how to keep it tightly tied, without the aid of a belt. There is always the risk of its slipping down/ falling off. Secondly while crossing your legs for sitting down or in a chair, there is the risk of exposing the thigh (a serious offense in case of men!). The second problem is partially overcome by me by using a 9 muzham veshti.

The real improvement would be to have a stitch between the legs, tie the waist with a naada- there is a name for the garment--- yes, pyjama :) Wearing shorts is another good option, esp. in nice warm places like Chennai. The maamaas who visit their children abroad learn this wisdom in a matter of months and come back with jeans/ shorts and T- shirts, to say without saying- MY children live abroad.
Unfortunately for residents, habits die hard and we keep struggling with the satisfaction of carrying forward the rich traditions of our ancestors, by wrapping around the open skirt - veshti.